Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 463281 times)

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 792
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #4410 on: May 24, 2022, 12:26:03 AM »
Any of you Pals play the fantasy football for the premier league? Could do a Pals league for next season if so.

Owen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #4411 on: May 24, 2022, 02:32:00 AM »
Really exciting season in the EPL and I’m looking forward to the upcoming season. I think everyone needs a break for sure. Any bold predictions for the transfer window?

I don't follow the European leagues close enough to know the young bucks that will likely be household names in the EPL next year.

I really hope that Liverpool can hang onto both Mo and Mane but if they were to leave, we'll still be in good hands with Luis Diaz and Jotta.

I reckon we will be looking at a very very different Man Utd team in the new season.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

PRISON IKE

• Rep: 37
  • Flex seal, but for genitalia
« Reply #4412 on: May 24, 2022, 05:45:58 AM »
Any of you Pals play the fantasy football for the premier league? Could do a Pals league for next season if so.
I’m in for sure.
I’d skin my knee and palms so bad on my buddy’s jump ramp with that thing.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #4413 on: May 24, 2022, 09:58:44 AM »
Although they’re our biggest rivals atm, I hope Liverpool will wipe the floor with RM.
But, I just don’t see it happening unless they have a fully fit squad.
No VVD, no Fabinho, no Tiago, no chance.
Expect Vinicius to have a field day against TAA

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #4414 on: May 24, 2022, 12:48:16 PM »

I’m down if it’s premier league.

My first signing would surely be Ballon D’awson haha. Proper old school defender. Played 100x better than slabhead Maguire and we paid him 2M lol.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4415 on: May 25, 2022, 12:22:55 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My first signing would surely be Ballon D’awson haha. Proper old school defender. Played 100x better than slabhead Maguire and we paid him 2M lol.

When the 2022/23 selection opens up I'll make a League and post the code here.

PRISON IKE

« Reply #4416 on: May 27, 2022, 06:54:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

When the 2022/23 selection opens up I'll make a League and post the code here.
You’re a fucking gem! Look forward to it! Cheers!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #4417 on: May 28, 2022, 06:31:25 PM »
3 finals 0 goals.  As a Liverpool fan, I’m not super against losing Mane and to a lesser extent Salah.   Manes body language has been off this year.   Reminds me a little of Torres when he was on the way out

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #4418 on: May 29, 2022, 02:34:05 AM »
As a neutral:

Stoked for Ancelotti cos he’s a legend in the game.

Suck on this liverscum, they were at it and today is the Heysel massacre anniversary.

Fucking scum but hey it’s never their fault init?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 02:44:44 AM by Mark Renton »
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4419 on: May 29, 2022, 09:23:55 AM »
As a neutral:

Suck on this liverscum, they were at it and today is the Heysel massacre anniversary.

You sound pretty neutral.   

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #4420 on: May 29, 2022, 11:37:27 AM »
Expand Quote
As a neutral:

[close]

Haha well if you wanted Livi to do a CL parade on the Heysel anniversary good for you!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4421 on: May 29, 2022, 02:27:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
As a neutral:

[close]

[close]

Haha well if you wanted Livi to do a CL parade on the Heysel anniversary good for you!

I’m sorry with better context I understand what you were saying.   I thought you were blaming them for the tear gas stuff that was happening at the final. 

Yes, it’s not ideal, but also seems like a confluence of events and dates that led to this being the only day to hold it rather than a specific mark of disrespect, but criticism is warranted

PRISON IKE

« Reply #4422 on: May 29, 2022, 09:30:34 PM »
Forest back to the premier league after a long spell away. Ready for it to kick off already.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4423 on: May 29, 2022, 10:44:22 PM »
Saint Etienne went down to ligue 2 they made heaps of shit
https://mobile.twitter.com/adblettery/status/1530999993657708552/video/1

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #4424 on: May 30, 2022, 01:14:07 AM »

Hahah fucking hell saw that last night.
The French don’t fuck around.

From the Payet incident to this it was a mad year.

Edit: @Atiba Applebum all good G 🤝

Roy Machine

• Rep: -5
« Reply #4425 on: May 30, 2022, 06:03:59 AM »

What a tragedy. It's a shame what happened in Saint Etienne in the last few years. I hope they get back up and come back stronger than before.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4426 on: May 30, 2022, 08:05:09 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What a tragedy. It's a shame what happened in Saint Etienne in the last few years. I hope they get back up and come back stronger than before.
I'm sure they will go straight back up. Looking forward to seeing them here in the stade des Alpes.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #4427 on: May 31, 2022, 12:06:14 AM »

it just makes me angry when teams buy their way to glory.
No offense to Citizens etc that were there when they were shit, but yeah besides that it just attracts glory hunters.

I wanna give a french reply to the Mbappe/Madrid thing..... I'm no football expert (rugby union's more my thing) but the complaints about PSG are super hypocritical. French clubs have been outgunned money wise in Europe for at least 30 years. Just count how many french players from the WC winning squads of 98 or 2018 play or played in French clubs. at least 90 % play abroad, because French clubs did not have the money to keep them. Mbappe was born in Paris and grew up in the suburbs, him staying at PSG is what "real" football fans should want.

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Tottenham, or Manchester United all have millions or even billions in debt. so all this talk about fair play is just laughable. considering the contributions French players like Zidane, Thierry Henry, Cantona, Benzema etc etc etc, have made to non-French clubs, it's only time that the tide turns a liitle at least.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 300
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #4428 on: May 31, 2022, 01:27:52 AM »
Expand Quote

No offense to Citizens etc that were there when they were shit, but yeah besides that it just attracts glory hunters.

[close]

I wanna give a french reply to the Mbappe/Madrid thing..... I'm no football expert (rugby union's more my thing) but the complaints about PSG are super hypocritical. French clubs have been outgunned money wise in Europe for at least 30 years. Just count how many french players from the WC winning squads of 98 or 2018 play or played in French clubs. at least 90 % play abroad, because French clubs did not have the money to keep them. Mbappe was born in Paris and grew up in the suburbs, him staying at PSG is what "real" football fans should want.

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Tottenham, or Manchester United all have millions or even billions in debt. so all this talk about fair play is just laughable. considering the contributions French players like Zidane, Thierry Henry, Cantona, Benzema etc etc etc, have made to non-French clubs, it's only time that the tide turns a liitle at least.

I like this take. I'm similarly stoked on Trent Alexander Arnold growing up in Liverpool.

On a similar note, I can't wait to watch France in the World Cup this year. They'd have to be just about favourites going in right?

I'm also intrigued to see how Pogba is playing for France. He's looked a bit slow and out of form playing for Man Utd. Will be interested to see if he has a return to previous form
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4429 on: May 31, 2022, 01:41:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I like this take. I'm similarly stoked on Trent Alexander Arnold growing up in Liverpool.

On a similar note, I can't wait to watch France in the World Cup this year. They'd have to be just about favourites going in right?

I'm also intrigued to see how Pogba is playing for France. He's looked a bit slow and out of form playing for Man Utd. Will be interested to see if he has a return to previous form

Haaland to Man City is the least obnoxious rich club for him to go to for his links as well

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4430 on: May 31, 2022, 05:50:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Still not sure I will watch the world cup.. pretty horrible works rights were abused in making the stadiums, it's a perfect example of sports washing.

On the other hand there is the UEFA woman's Euro cup this summer. After watching the world cup here in France in 2019 and the champions league this year (and some other random matchs), I actually am starting to  prefer womans football to men's now.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #4431 on: May 31, 2022, 06:33:32 AM »
Been off Slap for a minute, but a few things:

Gutted, obviously, over Saturday. But finishing one point off, losing the CL final 0-1 after dominating the game (doesnt make it much better really), and winning two domestic cups....it's still a pretty good season.

Celtic winning the SPL feels great too. Excited for Scotland/Ukraine on Wednesday.

Not gonna wade too heavily into the conversation about money, but I will say the top 6-10 clubs are turning the rest of the world into a sellers league, collectively, and that's not really sustainable, but it's also not a new phenomenon, just different players (and, well, more money). As a Reds fan I will HAPPILY take 50m for Naby Keita if this mornings PSG rumors are true.

I like EF for German clubs because they've always taken a nice, ardent anti-fascist, anti-racist stance. Not as assertive as St. Pauli, but EF does it while making everything about football. (and as a Celtic supporter, that game was fantastic)

I will be in Liverpool in three weeks, doing a tour of Anfield and go to Paradise but just to stop into Celtic's shop and get a few pictures. Was going to tour Parc des Princes too, but I don't get a ton of time in Paris and am not a PSG fan.

I think we are 65-odd days until next Prem kickoff. Who wants to talk transfers? Sad to lose Mane, but feel like it was inevitable.
ok thanks

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4432 on: May 31, 2022, 06:36:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

yeah France are seen as favorites......but ever since the 2002 WC, I'm very cautious! I mean that year France entered the comp as reigning world champs AND reigning euro champs, and not only did we not make it out of the group stages but the team did not score a single goal!
Then again, the euro exit vs Switzerland maybe taught Les Bleus a hard lesson? We'll see....if Benzema is on fire like he has been in the CL, shit could be entertaining    :o

Roy Machine

• Rep: -5
« Reply #4433 on: May 31, 2022, 07:47:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yeah its nice that a french talent is staying in France and brings more attention to ligue 1. You are right this is what every Football romantic wants to hear.

But PSG is still a shit show and one of the worst constructs you have in modern Football. Same applies to City, Chelsea, Newcastle etc...I am sorry but If you support one of these Clubs you have no morals

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4434 on: May 31, 2022, 09:16:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Yeah its nice that a french talent is staying in France and brings more attention to ligue 1. You are right this is what every Football romantic wants to hear.

But PSG is still a shit show and one of the worst constructs you have in modern Football. Same applies to City, Chelsea, Newcastle etc...I am sorry but If you support one of these Clubs you have no morals

I know Newcastle life long fans they are not gonna quite supporting them because of blood money. But I do agree in away especially for band wagon jumpers. Then again I know Irish and French folks that support Chelsea but would be attacked if they actually went to a match but won't listen or care.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4435 on: May 31, 2022, 12:03:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I kinda can’t wait for Newcastle to go through that phase Man City did when they just bought players like they pulled their name out of a hat.    Roque Santa Cruz, Wayne Bridge, Bony

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #4436 on: May 31, 2022, 12:08:34 PM »
I used to root for City when they were the underdogs in Manchester and I loved Newcastle since Alan Shearer so it sucks to see those clubs sell their souls even if I can understand it to a certain degree.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Choose life.
« Reply #4437 on: May 31, 2022, 01:08:03 PM »
Stoked on Leeds staying up and Forest coming up.

Both loyal fanbases.

Thanks @Roy Machine for expressing my thoughts or my further unwritten thoughts in a much more diplomatic way.

I’d rather go to the Den than supporting PSG / having sympathy for anything PSG related.

Transfer wise I just hope Bowen and Rice stay.
For the rest I trust the Moyesiah, he’ll bring in some underrated hard working low PL table / championship player.
He’ll definitely make the most out of some of the stingiest owners, the dildo brothers.

I don’t care about virtually any other transfer unless is something mad in a good way, not in a load of money kinda way.

I’d love to see Ravel Morrison back to East London cos he seems to be finally ok with mental health but that’s never gonna happen. I’m only dreaming.

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 12
« Reply #4438 on: May 31, 2022, 04:00:47 PM »
I think we are 65-odd days until next Prem kickoff. Who wants to talk transfers? Sad to lose Mane, but feel like it was inevitable.

I don’t believe Mane would extend after next year so it’s the age old problem of taking some money now or running it down a year and hoping he plays well. I’d like to see Darwin Nunez come in as a replacement for him. Might cost a bit but can be offset by selling mane and would be a good result

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4439 on: May 31, 2022, 11:32:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

dude I honestly can't see how one can talk of morals considering the obscene amounts of money involved in football today..........French sports newspaper L'Equipe recently wrote that Antoine Dupont, the highest paid French rugby player (voted world player of the year mind you) makes a 100th of what Messi is paid by PSG. A 100th! And rugby is the second biggest sport in France after football.

Also, I'll never understand people who "support" clubs from some other city they have no link to whatsoever....I'm from the Paris area so I'll always support PSG in football and Racing in rugby, in my mind there's no other way.
what Siota said just shows how absurd it is to think otherwise: I know Irish and French folks that support Chelsea but would be attacked if they actually went to a match but won't listen or care.
so....they'd be attacked? and then we talk of morals? come on guys. so again, yes PSG is funded by shady oil money, but in the current football world....so what??
Anyways, that's the beauty and curse of football I guess. No other sport like it.