Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464381 times)

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #4440 on: June 01, 2022, 12:07:39 AM »
There is a lot of racists Chelsea supporters. The Irish are not liked by a part of the older hooligans, nor are the French.

It's strange in Ireland most folk support an English team but won't support an Irish club, they complain about the quality of the football but with out big crowds what do they expect. My club is doing alot better than 10 years ago but the budget is nothing like the English.

I'm gutted Red Star got bought out by 777.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #4441 on: June 01, 2022, 01:10:54 AM »
Expand Quote
I think we are 65-odd days until next Prem kickoff. Who wants to talk transfers? Sad to lose Mane, but feel like it was inevitable.
[close]

I don’t believe Mane would extend after next year so it’s the age old problem of taking some money now or running it down a year and hoping he plays well. I’d like to see Darwin Nunez come in as a replacement for him. Might cost a bit but can be offset by selling mane and would be a good result

Yeah I’m ok with Mane going.   He has seemed a little less enthused this year and frankly it’s more important to start investing that money in younger players.   

Part of what made this team so successful was a lot of players were hitting their peak at the same time.   We’ve been investing/buying players right now in the 18-23 range and I’d prefer to pay for Darwin, Bellingham (maybe pipedream), and Tchoameni (no way I got that right/also biggest pipe dream) than splash out for more money on Mane or even Salah.   

— caveat to spending on young players…I’d take lewandowski for a year or two in a heartbeat.    Unlikely, sure, but I kinda just want to have a marquee signing once in a while

I hope hope hope we get $50m for Keita from PSG.   I hope that’s Mbappe’s mom having her son help out her team. 

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #4442 on: June 01, 2022, 06:59:11 AM »
Stoked on Leeds staying up and Forest coming up.

Both loyal fanbases.

Leeds fan reputation is always funny. I am glad they're staying up though, an American coach again in the prem! and theyre going to sign Aaronson.

Forest promotion was so so awesome. Super excited to see them back up.
ok thanks

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4443 on: June 01, 2022, 07:34:56 AM »
Italy Vs Argentina tonight, and Scotland Vs Ukraine both should be great shame they are on at the same time.

Mark Renton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #4444 on: June 01, 2022, 08:56:29 AM »
Italy Vs Argentina tonight, and Scotland Vs Ukraine both should be great shame they are on at the same time.

Thanks for the reminder dude those are both amazing games. I’d be oddly lost without this thread since the leagues are done for the year hahah.

So rad to see this thread popping again and so many people chiming in with their opinions!!
It was dead for a long time if I remember correctly.

Neutral about the game in Naples. I just love Diego.
Also neutral about the other game but I have too much love for the Scots. Would be rad to see them in the World Cup.
Shame it would be at the expenses of Ukraine cos they don’t deserve what they’re going through.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Roy Machine

• Rep: -5
« Reply #4445 on: June 01, 2022, 12:00:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

it just makes me angry when teams buy their way to glory.
No offense to Citizens etc that were there when they were shit, but yeah besides that it just attracts glory hunters.

[close]

I wanna give a french reply to the Mbappe/Madrid thing..... I'm no football expert (rugby union's more my thing) but the complaints about PSG are super hypocritical. French clubs have been outgunned money wise in Europe for at least 30 years. Just count how many french players from the WC winning squads of 98 or 2018 play or played in French clubs. at least 90 % play abroad, because French clubs did not have the money to keep them. Mbappe was born in Paris and grew up in the suburbs, him staying at PSG is what "real" football fans should want.

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Tottenham, or Manchester United all have millions or even billions in debt. so all this talk about fair play is just laughable. considering the contributions French players like Zidane, Thierry Henry, Cantona, Benzema etc etc etc, have made to non-French clubs, it's only time that the tide turns a liitle at least.
[close]

Yeah its nice that a french talent is staying in France and brings more attention to ligue 1. You are right this is what every Football romantic wants to hear.

But PSG is still a shit show and one of the worst constructs you have in modern Football. Same applies to City, Chelsea, Newcastle etc...I am sorry but If you support one of these Clubs you have no morals
[close]

dude I honestly can't see how one can talk of morals considering the obscene amounts of money involved in football today..........French sports newspaper L'Equipe recently wrote that Antoine Dupont, the highest paid French rugby player (voted world player of the year mind you) makes a 100th of what Messi is paid by PSG. A 100th! And rugby is the second biggest sport in France after football.

Also, I'll never understand people who "support" clubs from some other city they have no link to whatsoever....I'm from the Paris area so I'll always support PSG in football and Racing in rugby, in my mind there's no other way.
what Siota said just shows how absurd it is to think otherwise: I know Irish and French folks that support Chelsea but would be attacked if they actually went to a match but won't listen or care.
so....they'd be attacked? and then we talk of morals? come on guys. so again, yes PSG is funded by shady oil money, but in the current football world....so what??
Anyways, that's the beauty and curse of football I guess. No other sport like it.

Two wrongs don't make a right. Yes, the football industry is corrupt and full of shit, but you are part of the problem if you still buy psg merch, etc.

My club is no saint either, and as long as you belong to FIFA or any other corrupt national soccer federation you are basically guilty by association, but still there should be some sort of red line.

Paris, Qatar, Newcastle, City etc is the red line I will not cross.

The team I support, which is also my hometown team, peaked when I wasn't even born. We have been lurching back and forth between first and second division for three decades. The budget these oil clubs have is so far away from "our" reality like it is for your Rugby Club.

Yes, you're right, morale in soccer is at a low point, but that's precisely why it should matter again.
I think there are also other parisian Football Clubs ;)...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 12:22:59 PM by Roy Machine »

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #4446 on: June 02, 2022, 12:03:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

No offense to Citizens etc that were there when they were shit, but yeah besides that it just attracts glory hunters.

[close]

I wanna give a french reply to the Mbappe/Madrid thing..... I'm no football expert (rugby union's more my thing) but the complaints about PSG are super hypocritical. French clubs have been outgunned money wise in Europe for at least 30 years. Just count how many french players from the WC winning squads of 98 or 2018 play or played in French clubs. at least 90 % play abroad, because French clubs did not have the money to keep them. Mbappe was born in Paris and grew up in the suburbs, him staying at PSG is what "real" football fans should want.

Barcelona, Real Madrid, Tottenham, or Manchester United all have millions or even billions in debt. so all this talk about fair play is just laughable. considering the contributions French players like Zidane, Thierry Henry, Cantona, Benzema etc etc etc, have made to non-French clubs, it's only time that the tide turns a liitle at least.
[close]

Yeah its nice that a french talent is staying in France and brings more attention to ligue 1. You are right this is what every Football romantic wants to hear.

But PSG is still a shit show and one of the worst constructs you have in modern Football. Same applies to City, Chelsea, Newcastle etc...I am sorry but If you support one of these Clubs you have no morals
[close]

dude I honestly can't see how one can talk of morals considering the obscene amounts of money involved in football today..........French sports newspaper L'Equipe recently wrote that Antoine Dupont, the highest paid French rugby player (voted world player of the year mind you) makes a 100th of what Messi is paid by PSG. A 100th! And rugby is the second biggest sport in France after football.

Also, I'll never understand people who "support" clubs from some other city they have no link to whatsoever....I'm from the Paris area so I'll always support PSG in football and Racing in rugby, in my mind there's no other way.
what Siota said just shows how absurd it is to think otherwise: I know Irish and French folks that support Chelsea but would be attacked if they actually went to a match but won't listen or care.
so....they'd be attacked? and then we talk of morals? come on guys. so again, yes PSG is funded by shady oil money, but in the current football world....so what??
Anyways, that's the beauty and curse of football I guess. No other sport like it.
[close]

Two wrongs don't make a right. Yes, the football industry is corrupt and full of shit, but you are part of the problem if you still buy psg merch, etc.

My club is no saint either, and as long as you belong to FIFA or any other corrupt national soccer federation you are basically guilty by association, but still there should be some sort of red line.

The team I support, which is also my hometown team, peaked when I wasn't even born. We have been lurching back and forth between first and second division for three decades. The budget these oil clubs have is so far away from "our" reality like it is for your Rugby Club.

Yes, you're right, morale in soccer is at a low point, but that's precisely why it should matter again.

I was about to give you a long-ass reply but let this be my answer! for those who don't speak french it's gonna be impossible to understand but the guy speaks (edit) raps about the history of the club and how things have changed since it was sold....it also shows the passion behind the club. I've only been to watch psg at Parc des Princes once, but damn, the atmosphere is intense!

PS: I guess I am part of the problem since I just bought a Jordan PSG T shirt haha.....but IMHO you could say the same about any Nike/Apple/whatever big corpo merch manufactured for slave wages in Asia....
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 10:02:08 AM by OldieButFrenchie »

Roy Machine

• Rep: -5
« Reply #4447 on: June 02, 2022, 12:02:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I was about to give you a long-ass reply but let this be my answer! for those who don't speak french it's gonna be impossible to understand but the guy speaks about the history of the club and how things have changed since it was sold....it also shows the passion behind the club. I've only been to watch psg at Parc des Princes once, but damn, the atmosphere is intense!

PS: I guess I am part of the problem since I just bought a Jordan PSG T shirt haha.....but IMHO you could say the same about any Nike/Apple/whatever big corpo merch manufactured for slave wages in Asia....

Even tho I didnt understand a single word I get what you mean. Some ultra groups of my club have strong ties to the parisien scene (the groups Supras Auteuil and  Authentiks from Paris are forbidden since 2010 but still).

The scene in Paris is/was mad and I get why people are drawn to it.

However I am still confident in my inital statement about PSG. For me the acceptance and lack of resistance against blood money in football is heartbreaking.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4448 on: June 02, 2022, 12:40:09 PM »

Currently watching France vs Serbia the under 21s.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #4449 on: June 11, 2022, 05:39:15 AM »
Lately I’ve been watching this game a lot.

I don’t care about both teams but it gives me goosebumps.

Both Xhaka and Shaquiri are from Kosovo and already scored in competitions but you could see this was a totally different level of stoke.

Love it. Madness.

video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 12
« Reply #4450 on: June 14, 2022, 07:03:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I think we are 65-odd days until next Prem kickoff. Who wants to talk transfers? Sad to lose Mane, but feel like it was inevitable.
[close]

I don’t believe Mane would extend after next year so it’s the age old problem of taking some money now or running it down a year and hoping he plays well. I’d like to see Darwin Nunez come in as a replacement for him. Might cost a bit but can be offset by selling mane and would be a good result
[close]

Yeah I’m ok with Mane going.   He has seemed a little less enthused this year and frankly it’s more important to start investing that money in younger players.   

Part of what made this team so successful was a lot of players were hitting their peak at the same time.   We’ve been investing/buying players right now in the 18-23 range and I’d prefer to pay for Darwin, Bellingham (maybe pipedream), and Tchoameni (no way I got that right/also biggest pipe dream) than splash out for more money on Mane or even Salah.   

— caveat to spending on young players…I’d take lewandowski for a year or two in a heartbeat.    Unlikely, sure, but I kinda just want to have a marquee signing once in a while

I hope hope hope we get $50m for Keita from PSG.   I hope that’s Mbappe’s mom having her son help out her team.

And that’s Nunez on board. Will be interesting to see who else they go for over the next few weeks given that was a significant outlay.

On another note, some dodgy referee just killed my homelands chances of making the world cup this morning. At the same time we didn’t play with enough urgency or authority but it’s always rough when calls are made that are wrong or wouldn’t be called elsewhere if there wasn’t a resulting goal.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #4451 on: June 15, 2022, 11:18:50 PM »
You guys think England will stick with Southgate through the WC?

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #4452 on: June 16, 2022, 12:42:55 AM »

It's a bit late to change now right. Unless there is some major development I've missed?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4453 on: June 16, 2022, 01:16:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It's a bit late to change now right. Unless there is some major development I've missed?

From what I gather, after overperforming in two major tournaments, fans are mad England are underperforming in a minor tournament.   

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #4454 on: June 16, 2022, 01:24:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

From what I gather, after overperforming in two major tournaments, fans are mad England are underperforming in a minor tournament.   

Maybe I'm wrong but does anyone actually care about this Euro Nations League thing that's on at the moment. I feel bad for the players at this point. Surely they've earned a rest.

Also, I don't want to jump on the 'Maguire sucks' bandwagon but he really didn't play well in the England vs Italy match and should probably be ditched from the national team until he is in better form
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4455 on: June 16, 2022, 01:42:34 AM »
The new format of the Euros sucks. Ireland wasn't even shown here, I barely watched any of the match's. France under preformed also. I think Southgate will stay, I know the fans aren't behind him but the FA is.
Its not a Maguire sucks bandwagon, I think he was over rated and this season showed that.

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4456 on: June 16, 2022, 03:02:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Nobody should care about the Nations League, but while Southgate has been succesful, he’s playing style hasn’t convinced anybody.

Is probably too late to change managers, but if England does poorly Southgate will be crucified.
Again.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4457 on: June 16, 2022, 04:52:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Nobody should care about the Nations League, but while Southgate has been succesful, he’s playing style hasn’t convinced anybody.

Is probably too late to change managers, but if England does poorly Southgate will be crucified.
Again.

Yeah I think it’s a tournament no one cares about and no big transfer news on the horizon so people are bored and picking at things that don’t really matter

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4458 on: June 18, 2022, 11:22:34 PM »
Stoked that KCMO got tagged as a world cup site for 2026. Now I should pretty easily be able to go to at least one match.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

PRISON IKE

• Rep: 37
  • Flex seal, but for genitalia
« Reply #4459 on: June 19, 2022, 05:08:04 AM »
Stoked that KCMO got tagged as a world cup site for 2026. Now I should pretty easily be able to go to at least one match.
That’s awesome! Hope you get to attend. Atlanta got chosen which is a 3 hour drive for me. Hopefully I’ll be able to get tickets to attend a match. I don’t even care who is playing.

I spend a lot of time at my favorite Mexican restaurant during the World Cup watching matches, eating too much chips and salsa and drinking Dos Equis. It’s kind of my tradition. The bartender there is a super good dude as well so it’s just enjoyable to go in there and shoot the shit about football in general.
I’d skin my knee and palms so bad on my buddy’s jump ramp with that thing.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4460 on: July 07, 2022, 01:05:55 AM »
So the 2022/23 Premier League Fantasy Football league is up, its super early but will bump now and then until the season starts, you can pick your team now and change as many times as you like before the season starts. I made a league here is the copy and past stuff from it:

Hello,

For the 2022/23 Fantasy Premier League why don't you join my mini-league "Slap Pals"?

Joining the league couldn't be easier. Simply use the link below and you'll be added automatically after you've entered the game.

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/leagues/auto-join/68wkor

League Code: 68wkor

Looking forward to playing against you this season!

alraunen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 244
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #4461 on: July 07, 2022, 01:20:11 AM »
So the 2022/23 Premier League Fantasy Football league is up, its super early but will bump now and then until the season starts, you can pick your team now and change as many times as you like before the season starts. I made a league here is the copy and past stuff from it:

Hello,

For the 2022/23 Fantasy Premier League why don't you join my mini-league "Slap Pals"?

Joining the league couldn't be easier. Simply use the link below and you'll be added automatically after you've entered the game.

Slap + FPL? Definitely in!

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 265
« Reply #4462 on: July 08, 2022, 06:42:08 AM »
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4463 on: July 16, 2022, 08:32:34 AM »

Hello,

Bumping this to remind folks that you can pick your team now and free unlimited changes up to the start of the season. Crazy that the put Haaland the same price as Kane

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #4464 on: July 17, 2022, 02:44:46 AM »
Anyone following the women's European Championship?

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #4465 on: July 17, 2022, 11:11:02 PM »
Anyone watch the Liverpool vs Man Utd or Liverpool vs Crystal Palace friendlies?

What's the deal with doing 10 subs at once? In the vs Man Utd match Liverpool changed their entire squad at the 30 and 60 minute marks. 30+ players on the pitch over the game.

In the Crystal Palace match they did it at half time. Is this a common thing for friendlies? Is it required?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4466 on: July 18, 2022, 12:06:37 AM »
Anyone watch the Liverpool vs Man Utd or Liverpool vs Crystal Palace friendlies?

What's the deal with doing 10 subs at once? In the vs Man Utd match Liverpool changed their entire squad at the 30 and 60 minute marks. 30+ players on the pitch over the game.

In the Crystal Palace match they did it at half time. Is this a common thing for friendlies? Is it required?

I don’t know specifically but it’s everyone’s first match back - I assume the point is more to shake of some rust and get everyone acclimated rather than actually compete.

Liverpool just had to pretend to be excited about the trophy in Singapore because of their shirt sponsor

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4467 on: July 18, 2022, 02:32:34 AM »

Very common.
These guys have been on holidays, pretty much nobody is fit to play 90mins.
Preseason tours are relatively new thing for clubs to make bank, no manager wants to risk their players for meaningless games

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #4468 on: July 18, 2022, 03:59:08 AM »
yupp. looking forward to the k.o.-phase and to germany v austria on thursday :)

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4469 on: July 18, 2022, 06:12:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
yupp. looking forward to the k.o.-phase and to germany v austria on thursday :)
All the Quarter finals are looking good