Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464658 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #4620 on: October 16, 2022, 02:44:49 PM »
I’m in America and finally get evening matches.  Obviously I find the whole thing gross, but my breaking point will be if they try and do a WC every two years

whale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #4621 on: October 16, 2022, 11:06:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
England running out of RB’s for the WC
[close]

Gives me hope TAA (even if his form trends poorly this season) will make the bench.   Trippier is likely first choice at the moment.  Can’t think of who would be back up atm
[close]

Is he fit though?

E: James Milner starts at RB tonight, lol
[close]

I thought he was out for a week or so but he came off the bench.   

Also, eat that “lol”.   Letting Milner go on a free was one of your biggest mistakes hah
Yeah I’m eating it :)
Congrats man

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #4622 on: October 17, 2022, 12:14:51 AM »
What is the pals opinion about this years WC anyway?Curious to know...

In my social group there are a a lot of voices for a boycott
Been completely checked out this time around. What's the boycott over?

As far as selfish opinions Aus is fucked. I think we're going back to the dark ages where we don't even qualify anymore. (Now watch as they somehow do better than ever before) we also got some real ugly kits but that's whatevs.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4623 on: October 17, 2022, 12:32:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

As far as selfish opinions Aus is fucked. I think we're going back to the dark ages where we don't even qualify anymore. (Now watch as they somehow do better than ever before) we also got some real ugly kits but that's whatevs.

Boycott over:
How Qatar got the WC in the first place
Qatar’s politics as a country
the WC is being played in fucking December/mid-season in order to accommodate playing in Qatar
the use of slave labor being used in order to have facilities in order to play a WC in Qatar

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4624 on: October 17, 2022, 02:20:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Boycott over:
the WC is being played in fucking December/mid-season in order to accommodate playing in Qatar
the use of slave labor being used in order to have facilities in order to play a WC in Qatar
Yeah fuck. World cups often kinda gross like the Olympics but that adds up to fair bit extra.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #4625 on: October 17, 2022, 04:22:25 AM »
Won't be watching it. Thank fuck Ireland didn't qualify.
In other news the Liverpool/City match was class.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #4626 on: October 17, 2022, 04:25:48 AM »
Bit of a possible potential silver lining- Qatar ends up being very publicly embarrassed on a global scale re their workers' conditions.
Maybe this could be the catalyst for worker's rights improving in Gulf countries so as to avoid future instances at their events. Probably unlikely but I'm trying to be an optimist here
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4627 on: October 17, 2022, 05:15:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Boycott over:
[close]
Yeah fuck. World cups often kinda gross like the Olympics but that adds up to fair bit extra.

That being said: I’m not really boycotting it.  I go watch it in public places, so the only money I’m putting into it to local bars/pubs.   Plus it’s the only time I can get friends to watch games (particularly with them being in the evening).  But I plan to lease an electric car soon, so that’s my middle finger to the region

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4628 on: October 17, 2022, 06:07:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Boycott over:
[close]
[close]

That being said: I’m not really boycotting it.  I go watch it in public places, so the only money I’m putting into it to local bars/pubs.   Plus it’s the only time I can get friends to watch games (particularly with them being in the evening).  But I plan to lease an electric car soon, so that’s my middle finger to the region
Maybe i should be more angry, it was supposed to be our world cup but there's maybe only three worthy stadiums in all of Aus and the pitch quality would never be good enough. Plus who knows what the fuck would happen with covid and tourists travelling and all that.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4629 on: October 17, 2022, 07:47:15 PM »

Maybe i should be more angry, it was supposed to be our world cup but there's maybe only three worthy stadiums in all of Aus and the pitch quality would never be good enough. Plus who knows what the fuck would happen with covid and tourists travelling and all that.
That's three more stadiums than Qatar had when they won the bid.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #4630 on: October 20, 2022, 06:29:15 AM »
world cup is fucked but as an american it's gonna be convenient to watch
i dont really have a set favorite team (definitely not going for USMNT) so i kinda just choose my team for the competition based on who's team I like the best. my best friend is from Poland so hopefully Lewa can make a run this late in his career

in terms of club man u is so hard to watch. we've been winning but it still feels so bad. ronaldo needs to go as soon as possible. hopefully we just reach a consistent form by the end of the year and continue to progress in the right direction. i have faith in antony and martinez tho. hopefully we just continue to spend money wisely and hopefully find a real #9 at some point soon.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4631 on: October 20, 2022, 07:21:23 AM »
Ronaldo walking down the tunnel early is gonna piss people off. Liverpool got lucky West Ham deserved a point in my book. My fantasy team sucks this year haha

cky enthusiast

« Reply #4632 on: October 20, 2022, 07:24:25 AM »
moyes get it together

any time we sign a “top class stroikah” we end up with an andy carroll situation. im over this shit we were europa semi finalists god damn it

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #4633 on: October 20, 2022, 10:41:59 PM »

in terms of club man u is so hard to watch. we've been winning but it still feels so bad. ronaldo needs to go as soon as possible. hopefully we just reach a consistent form by the end of the year and continue to progress in the right direction. i have faith in antony and martinez tho. hopefully we just continue to spend money wisely and hopefully find a real #9 at some point soon.

Man Utd are much much better than last year. Martinez has made a huge difference. Antony still hasn't fully flourished but you can see the potential.

+1 on Ronaldo needing to go. I also kind of like that Ten Hag is seemingly punishing him for being a poor sport by keeping him in view but on the bench
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4634 on: October 20, 2022, 10:56:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Man Utd are much much better than last year. Martinez has made a huge difference. Antony still hasn't fully flourished but you can see the potential.

+1 on Ronaldo needing to go. I also kind of like that Ten Hag is seemingly punishing him for being a poor sport by keeping him in view but on the bench

No one will take Ronaldo.   It’s the saddest end to a storied career.   He can still go, but he’s just not worth the price in more ways than one

Roy Machine

• Rep: -5
« Reply #4635 on: October 21, 2022, 04:17:17 AM »
Leaving the bench early because he didn't get playtime is all you need to know about c. ronaldo. Dude is scum. Ballon D'ors can't buy you class

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4636 on: October 23, 2022, 07:17:35 AM »
Haaland is unbelievable. Probably the best striker in the world at the moment

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #4637 on: October 23, 2022, 10:53:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Boycott over:
[close]

Just to add to @Atiba Applebum

Over 6500 workers died in the vast building efforts since Qatar won the bid. Mostly migrants. The death toll is likely far higher as much goes unreported.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4638 on: October 23, 2022, 01:24:16 PM »
Currently listening to the World Corrupt podcast episodes. Collabs between Men in Blazers and Pod Save the World.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #4639 on: October 24, 2022, 07:33:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

wrote this before chelsea game, we actually looked really super good there. antony's dribbling is out of this world. the midfield triangle of casemiro, fernandes, eriksen looked great. super pleased with those results

and yes haaland is by far the best striker in the world right now, sadly

Resident Jeff

• Rep: 20
« Reply #4640 on: October 24, 2022, 09:37:22 PM »
Woah now just because Salah is having a quiet season so far….

Nah we tanked hard, nice one Liverpool.
Haaland is crushing it.
Reschs Refreshes

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4641 on: October 24, 2022, 10:08:58 PM »
Woah now just because Salah is having a quiet season so far….

Nah we tanked hard, nice one Liverpool.
Haaland is crushing it.

He and Darwin have been active of late.  Don’t forget Salah scored the fastest hat trick in CL like two weeks ago

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4642 on: October 25, 2022, 11:53:08 AM »
Shall be interesting how Haaland is treated now against Dortmund...the French telly is saying the cyborg returns hahaha

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4643 on: October 25, 2022, 02:02:04 PM »
That was 90mins I’ll never get back

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4644 on: October 25, 2022, 07:05:18 PM »
That was 90mins I’ll never get back

I don’t watch Bundesliga, but how is Emre Can playing.   Seems like he’s playing the best out of the players who have left LFC under Klopp.   (Sane I’ve heard has played fine but not great)

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4645 on: October 27, 2022, 04:31:10 AM »
Bayern absolute dominating Barcelona last night was great to see. Conte getting a red card before the last match of the group was great timing.  Group D is wide open still any of the four can qualify.
Tempted to use my wildcard in the fantasy league...

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4646 on: October 27, 2022, 04:43:36 AM »
We get another one after the WC, right?

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4647 on: October 27, 2022, 04:55:37 AM »
There is matches next week, the last round. Yeah think then its a pause till after the world cup.

Edit: or did you mean wildcard? I don't know. I think there was one after the end of the January transfer window, could be wrong thou.

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4648 on: October 27, 2022, 11:22:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
There is matches next week, the last round. Yeah think then its a pause till after the world cup.

Edit: or did you mean wildcard? I don't know. I think there was one after the end of the January transfer window, could be wrong thou.
Yeah, I meant the wildcard. It’s always confusing how many we can have

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4649 on: October 28, 2022, 12:53:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Yeah, I meant the wildcard. It’s always confusing how many we can have
I ended up using it. Fuck it. Not looking forward to Liverpool against Leeds tomorrow..but will be watching it.