Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464488 times)

nonickname

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 85
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #4680 on: November 07, 2022, 04:33:51 PM »

forza milan

Spuds knocked them that year - with Gattuso watching from the sidelines after being banned for losing his shit with a coach 28 years older. I combative mids with skill of the recent past (him, DeJong, Vieira, Makelele, Lothar M...and for you 2011 Copa America fans out there Diego Perez) but can't be drawn into ish that hurts your team off the field.

Edit: Man I'm dumb. Just saw the draw...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 04:56:58 PM by nonickname »
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #4681 on: November 07, 2022, 09:41:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Canada's WC squad potentially lost our best player (Davies), our backup keeper (Crepeau) and a CB (Kennedy) this weekend...just getting worse by the day (Osorio still dealing with concussion issues from MLS play). We need everyone else to be wrapped in bubble wrap until the 1st game.
[close]

Man, so rough. At least we made it to the Cup for the first time in 35 years, but still.
Your getting the classic Aus experience. Don't worry in a few more years they'll give a portion of the respect you deserve

nonickname

« Reply #4682 on: November 12, 2022, 10:48:05 AM »
Combine Ivan Toney taking that snub very personally and Citehs stars playing like they were already on the plane to Qatar and Arsenal just got a gift.

That and West Ham need to regroup and get out of their funk.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #4683 on: November 12, 2022, 10:54:15 AM »
Lol imagine having that squad and losing to Brentford...all props for Brentford I love teams like that. Watching New Castle Chelsea at the moment it's fuckin shite.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4684 on: November 12, 2022, 12:02:28 PM »
Watching New Castle Chelsea at the moment it's fuckin shite.

I watched the 1st half, it was dire.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4685 on: November 12, 2022, 12:50:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Kinda gutted I didn't see it out...good weekend for under dogs

Roy Machine

• Rep: -5
« Reply #4686 on: November 12, 2022, 01:12:21 PM »
Watching probably my first full Arsenal game since Wenger left. Always had a soft spot for them but it felt like they lost some part of their identity the last couple of years. Happy to see that they are back on top

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #4687 on: November 12, 2022, 03:39:48 PM »
Lol imagine having that squad and losing to Brentford...all props for Brentford I love teams like that. Watching New Castle Chelsea at the moment it's fuckin shite.

Brentfords had some big wins against top teams in the past two seasons. 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4688 on: November 12, 2022, 07:36:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I know what you mean, but it is time to stop referring to Newcastle as underdogs.   They’ve got Saudi billions and are in 3rd.    They’re just in that Man City/Ro***ho phase of figuring out how money can be really used to go to the next level and stay there

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4689 on: November 13, 2022, 06:57:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I know what you mean, but it is time to stop referring to Newcastle as underdogs.   They’ve got Saudi billions and are in 3rd.    They’re just in that Man City/Ro***ho phase of figuring out how money can be really used to go to the next level and stay there

Fair point. They really haven't spent crazy like city yet so kinda low key impressed at there improvement, like they got a decent squad on a budget.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4690 on: November 13, 2022, 09:42:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Fair point. They really haven't spent crazy like city yet so kinda low key impressed at there improvement, like they got a decent squad on a budget.

Yeah they aren’t Nottingham Forrest who I think spend maybe the 2nd most in this past window.   

As long as they can avoid that weird phase Man City went through where they just bought players they didn’t have any real use for and paid them exorbitantly.  The Winifred Bony/Roque Santa Cruz/Wayne Bridge years

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #4691 on: November 14, 2022, 06:00:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah they aren’t Nottingham Forrest who I think spend maybe the 2nd most in this past window.   

As long as they can avoid that weird phase Man City went through where they just bought players they didn’t have any real use for and paid them exorbitantly.  The Winifred Bony/Roque Santa Cruz/Wayne Bridge years
I get what you're saying, as we've certainly thrown money at players that have proven to be duds, but RSC and Bridge were signed by a Hughes, and fell out of form or favor when Mancini replaced Hughes.
Bony however still baffles me.

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #4692 on: November 14, 2022, 11:01:27 AM »
Ronaldo pulled his little interview stunt again. Where will he go? Place your bets pals.

I'm going with Atleti.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4693 on: November 14, 2022, 11:41:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
I get what you're saying, as we've certainly thrown money at players that have proven to be duds, but RSC and Bridge were signed by a Hughes, and fell out of form or favor when Mancini replaced Hughes.

I just remember Bridge’s contract being amazing rich!    It wasn’t so much that the players were duds, it was more that your squad didn’t need to add more players in those positions.   Did Lescott do well for you?   I honestly don’t remember

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #4694 on: November 14, 2022, 12:50:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

I just remember Bridge’s contract being amazing rich!    It wasn’t so much that the players were duds, it was more that your squad didn’t need to add more players in those positions.   Did Lescott do well for you?   I honestly don’t remember
Adding players to positions we don’t really need is a honoured tradition it seems.
Lescott is kind of 50-50, in and out of the team but formed a good partnership with Kompany to win that Fa cup and year later the first PL title.
Not a club legend by any means, but as a part of that squad can’t really say too much negative about him.

I checked some of our recent transfer and defending that first PL title we made hilariously bad signings
Javi Garcia, Nastasic, Jack Rodwell, Scott Sinclair and Maicon. None who I remember barely even playing.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4695 on: November 14, 2022, 01:05:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Adding players to positions we don’t really need is a honoured tradition it seems.
Lescott is kind of 50-50, in and out of the team but formed a good partnership with Kompany to win that Fa cup and year later the first PL title.
Not a club legend by any means, but as a part of that squad can’t really say too much negative about him.

I checked some of our recent transfer and defending that first PL title we made hilariously bad signings
Javi Garcia, Nastasic, Jack Rodwell, Scott Sinclair and Maicon. None who I remember barely even playing.

Ooh Scott Sinclair, wasn’t he the ginger from Chelsea who was barely on the bench?

nonickname

« Reply #4696 on: November 14, 2022, 08:07:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Ooh Scott Sinclair, wasn’t he the ginger from Chelsea who was barely on the bench?

I think you've mixed him up with Steve Sidwell?

Javi Garcia...my wife thought he was a "fine looking" player, and she didn't mean in a tactical awareness sort of way. Nastasic needed time to settle as a young CB in a new league - but never got it. Rodwell was a waking Doctors note.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4697 on: November 14, 2022, 08:11:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think you've mixed him up with Steve Sidwell?

Javi Garcia...my wife thought he was a "fine looking" player, and she didn't mean in a tactical awareness sort of way. Nastasic needed time to settle as a young CB in a new league - but never got it. Rodwell was a waking Doctors note.

Hah Jesus yes.   Did a google and Scott Sinclair couldn’t look anything less than what I described.  And I think I’m misremembering Sidwell’s transfer.  It was the one from Reading to Chelsea that was the surprising one.   

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #4698 on: November 15, 2022, 02:10:10 AM »
Damn Ronaldo is really making a mess of things. Why would he do this interview whilst he is still signed to Man Utd. This doesn't do anything to dismiss the idea that he is a bad sport and an entitled brat.

What team would want to sign him from here if he is going to very publicly cast shade on the team, manager and owners mid season. Seems like unnecessary drama to me.

Imagine how awkward things must be between him and Fernández and Dalot at the World Cup training right now.
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4699 on: November 15, 2022, 03:02:23 AM »
Damn Ronaldo is really making a mess of things. Why would he do this interview whilst he is still signed to Man Utd. This doesn't do anything to dismiss the idea that he is a bad sport and an entitled brat.

What team would want to sign him from here if he is going to very publicly cast shade on the team, manager and owners mid season. Seems like unnecessary drama to me.

Imagine how awkward things must be between him and Fernández and Dalot at the World Cup training right now.

It’s so goddamn transparent, too.   I really don’t see what he thought he was accomplishing when other clubs didn’t want him before the started pulling all this shit.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4700 on: November 15, 2022, 03:30:01 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

It’s so goddamn transparent, too.   I really don’t see what he thought he was accomplishing when other clubs didn’t want him before the started pulling all this shit.

I think he thinks he is bigger than the team, like his ego has gone insane. An interview like that is what you do after the fact not when you are employed, but I'm sure he doesn't even realize he is an employee.

excitableboy

« Reply #4701 on: November 15, 2022, 04:19:55 AM »

Think you answered it there.

It's really not that surprising given he did the same thing to force a way out at Madrid and then again at Juve.

But yes, who will take him now? He won't settle for anything below Champions League I imagine.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4702 on: November 16, 2022, 03:31:20 AM »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4703 on: November 16, 2022, 04:36:02 AM »
I’m going to guess PSG players like Messi, Mbappe, Neymar won’t be doing too much speaking out since the government of Qatar owns PSG (in case anyone needed a reminder).   

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4704 on: November 16, 2022, 06:32:12 AM »
I’m going to guess PSG players like Messi, Mbappe, Neymar won’t be doing too much speaking out since the government of Qatar owns PSG (in case anyone needed a reminder).

Of course not.. unless something major happens I can't see any players really speaking out too much until they are out of the country.

In other news just saw that its unlimited free transfers in the fantasy league until the Premier league starts again.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4705 on: November 16, 2022, 04:32:09 PM »
Toney getting left out of the England squad makes more sense - been charged for 200 betting infractions

Royce Lopez

• Rep: 8
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4706 on: November 16, 2022, 11:47:56 PM »
Danish tv presenters harassed in Qatar...I would love for some teams to pull out.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/16/qatar-world-cup-organisers-apologise-after-threats-to-danish-television-crew

This World Cup could potentially be the most interesting in terms of scandals. Should be fun and educational.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4707 on: November 17, 2022, 12:19:46 AM »
I don’t know why I thought it was going to be night/evening games.   2/5/8/11am games are not my ideal spread

excitableboy

« Reply #4708 on: November 17, 2022, 02:09:25 AM »
Knockout stage isn't until December 3rd. Out of the group fixtures I could make out at best three or four games worth a watch.

Of course there will be the odd surprising squad and a worldie here or there but not much to miss out on. Highlights will suffice well into December.

Only just realized Nigeria isn't there. Rooting for all the African squads.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #4709 on: November 17, 2022, 02:11:41 AM »
am I the only one in thinking there's a lot of hypocrisy with the kind of stance Denmark is taking??
if you are so outraged, just boycott the competition. what the hell is the colour of your team shirts gonna change??