Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464731 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #4710 on: November 17, 2022, 02:29:42 AM »
am I the only one in thinking there's a lot of hypocrisy with the kind of stance Denmark is taking??
if you are so outraged, just boycott the competition. what the hell is the colour of your team shirts gonna change??
Get to show they're taking some kind of stand but not miss out on anything. Maybe even make some more money on shirts (I hadn't actually heard that yet so I'll prob be wrong lol)

Knockout stage isn't until December 3rd. Out of the group fixtures I could make out at best three or four games worth a watch.

Of course there will be the odd surprising squad and a worldie here or there but not much to miss out on. Highlights will suffice well into December.

Only just realized Nigeria isn't there. Rooting for all the African squads.

I hadn't been paying attention on the lead up this time around but there's some other staple teams not in it too. I think Sweden and Italy aren't in it either

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #4711 on: November 17, 2022, 02:58:20 AM »
Expand Quote
am I the only one in thinking there's a lot of hypocrisy with the kind of stance Denmark is taking??
if you are so outraged, just boycott the competition. what the hell is the colour of your team shirts gonna change??
[close]
Get to show they're taking some kind of stand but not miss out on anything. Maybe even make some more money on shirts (I hadn't actually heard that yet so I'll prob be wrong lol)

Expand Quote
Knockout stage isn't until December 3rd. Out of the group fixtures I could make out at best three or four games worth a watch.

Of course there will be the odd surprising squad and a worldie here or there but not much to miss out on. Highlights will suffice well into December.

[close]
I hadn't been paying attention on the lead up this time around but there's some other staple teams not in it too. I think Sweden and Italy aren't in it either

Haaland is the only thing the tournament is really missing out on.  Shame not to have one of the best players in the world not in the tournament

Re: Denmark.    It’s a tough thing to take a stand on when it’s a train that’s already left the station.   If I were in charge of the Danish FA, I wouldn’t want to deprive one of my players the chance to live their childhood dreams of representing their country in the World Cup, especially for a team that’s not guaranteed to be in the tournament every four years.    I would probably do what they’re doing: support the tournament, but continue to give the stick to fifa/Qatar. 

I also struggle with my culpability in even watching the games on tv.   Am I tacitly okaying the sport washing by going along with my usual WC plans?   

excitableboy

• Rep: 92
« Reply #4712 on: November 17, 2022, 03:23:23 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]

I've been in Italy for a while now and, well, one does not mention the WC here.

@OldieButFrenchie  I hear you. But let's be honest, a boycot was never an option. Except of course where Denmark's immigration policy is concerned. When the third world comes to them, they are rather decisive.

@Atiba Applebum Agreed. The president of the Dutch FA was interviewed and said "look the WC bid was corrupt from the get-go. But so was Rio, and Sochi, and London. So where do we draw the line? Maybe we should boycott many things, but that's couch-potato idealism." Turds like him typically get seats like his. Where you and I question culpability they call things a wash and never draw any lines.

There is also this prevailing notion that tournaments like this benefit a developing country in the long run even though there is ample evidence against this.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4713 on: November 17, 2022, 06:23:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

@OldieButFrenchie  I hear you. But let's be honest, a boycot was never an option. Except of course where Denmark's immigration policy is concerned. When the third world comes to them, they are rather decisive.

@Atiba Applebum Agreed. The president of the Dutch FA was interviewed and said "look the WC bid was corrupt from the get-go. But so was Rio, and Sochi, and London. So where do we draw the line? Maybe we should boycott many things, but that's couch-potato idealism." Turds like him typically get seats like his. Where you and I question culpability they call things a wash and never draw any lines.

There is also this prevailing notion that tournaments like this benefit a developing country in the long run even though there is ample evidence against this.

I knew that the Olympics didn’t benefit, but I thought Fifa at least forked over money as part of their charity remit to spread soccer education/development in those nations that host.     I’m not naive enough to believe that money all goes for it’s intended use, but I thought there was at least a passing attempt to give it a go

excitableboy

« Reply #4714 on: November 17, 2022, 07:11:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

I knew that the Olympics didn’t benefit, but I thought Fifa at least forked over money as part of their charity remit to spread soccer education/development in those nations that host.     I’m not naive enough to believe that money all goes for it’s intended use, but I thought there was at least a passing attempt to give it a go

Well yes, maybe I'm being overly cynical but it seems some hush aid money is as much as can be expected.

As for the culpability. I suppose we are all hypocrites in watching FC Fly Emirates vs Sporting Qatar Airways every weekend. But the WC is a much more direct endorsement. I think?

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #4715 on: November 17, 2022, 12:26:34 PM »
I have been planning to boycott the WC, but we’ll see  if I’m able to.
As a Man City fan, I’ve been called out a hypocrite for it, but the way I see it, City’s takeover didn’t directly result into death of thousands of workers in slave conditions, and through the club our owners are atleast appearing to show support for human rights issues.

Big money is always corrupt, no matter where it comes from, but this is footballs biggest stage, and the world will be watching.
FIFA should do better.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4716 on: November 17, 2022, 01:09:28 PM »
Without Man C, PSG, etc., there'd be no WC in Qatar. And is Qatar really such a big outlier when it comes to the treatment of foreign labour in the Gulf? I seriously doubt it. It's probably just the size of the project and the scrutiny that comes with it that blew up the story on working conditions there.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

excitableboy

« Reply #4717 on: November 17, 2022, 01:32:49 PM »
Without Man C, PSG, etc., there'd be no WC in Qatar. And is Qatar really such a big outlier when it comes to the treatment of foreign labour in the Gulf? I seriously doubt it. It's probably just the size of the project and the scrutiny that comes with it that blew up the story on working conditions there.

It isn't, that's why I mentioned UAE. And the Saudi bid for 2030 is supposed to have good odds.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #4718 on: November 17, 2022, 01:51:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It isn't, that's why I mentioned UAE. And the Saudi bid for 2030 is supposed to have good odds.

Sorry, I was replying to whale.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4719 on: November 17, 2022, 02:28:00 PM »
Apparently it’s an Egypt / Greece / Saudi bid, which is nuts because that’s three different host CONTINENTS, but I guess it helps offset infrastructure demands on any one country which leads to the more prominent issues.   

That being said, Saudi has plenty plenty plenty of issues beyond that

excitableboy

« Reply #4720 on: November 17, 2022, 02:52:20 PM »
As does Egypt. Perhaps the controversy of this WC, which now is mainstream, will lead to more widespread outcry should the 2030 WC go to Saudi and Egypt.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #4721 on: November 17, 2022, 03:24:38 PM »
Apparently it’s an Egypt / Greece / Saudi bid, which is nuts because that’s three different host CONTINENTS, but I guess it helps offset infrastructure demands on any one country which leads to the more prominent issues.   

All these multinational bids are insane and show the contempt FIFA has for fans. I mean, we knew this already, but it just keeps getting worse.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4722 on: November 17, 2022, 03:27:57 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

All these multinational bids are insane and show the contempt FIFA has for fans. I mean, we knew this already, but it just keeps getting worse.

I thought they were a good idea bc it eases prep burdens and allows countries that might not get to host solo and opportunity, but I haven’t look that much into it

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #4723 on: November 17, 2022, 04:13:44 PM »
Maybe it's wishful thinking - but the 2030 WC should be a Uruguay/Argentina joint bid. Could have the opener at the stadium built for the 1st World Cup that's still in use on the 100th anniversary.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 05:07:19 PM by nonickname »
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4724 on: November 17, 2022, 05:10:44 PM »
Maybe it's wishful thinking - but the 2030 WC should be a Uruguay/Argentina joint bid. Could have the opener at the stadium built for the 1st World Cup that's still in use on the 100th anniversary.

I would like that, but I’d almost like to make it every country that isn’t Brazil or Argentina gets a few games.   Uruguay should definitely get to host the opener and closer

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #4725 on: November 17, 2022, 08:37:01 PM »
I have been planning to boycott the WC, but we’ll see  if I’m able to.
As a Man City fan, I’ve been called out a hypocrite for it, but the way I see it, City’s takeover didn’t directly result into death of thousands of workers in slave conditions, and through the club our owners are atleast appearing to show support for human rights issues.

Big money is always corrupt, no matter where it comes from, but this is footballs biggest stage, and the world will be watching.
FIFA should do better.

The workers rights issues are much the same in UAE as they are in Qatar.
Also, have you heard what they've been up to in Libya and Yemen?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

excitableboy

« Reply #4726 on: November 19, 2022, 02:56:47 AM »
The Ecuador bribe story now has me ever so vaguely interested in that match. Not enough to watch it of course but still, it begs the question. Planted rumors?

excitableboy

« Reply #4727 on: November 19, 2022, 03:08:41 AM »
Excuse the double post but this just in:

Infantino the gay, disabled migrant worker.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #4728 on: November 19, 2022, 06:22:54 AM »
Saw ^ Also. Guy is a clown.

Edit:

Not my art but it's brilliant
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 06:34:59 AM by Síota »

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4729 on: November 20, 2022, 08:39:17 AM »
Anyone care to help a Luddite out with how to stream this for free?  :-*
It's on sbs

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4730 on: November 20, 2022, 10:21:14 AM »
"But BBC viewers had just seen something unusual: a television broadcaster with the rights to show the world’s biggest sporting event choosing to comprehensively trash the product it was about to serve up."
(From the guardian)
Fair play to the BBC not that I watched it but they apparently kicked up shit. Happy my favorite bars are boycotting it.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #4731 on: November 20, 2022, 10:38:38 AM »
"But BBC viewers had just seen something unusual: a television broadcaster with the rights to show the world’s biggest sporting event choosing to comprehensively trash the product it was about to serve up."
(From the guardian)
Fair play to the BBC not that I watched it but they apparently kicked up shit. Happy my favorite bars are boycotting it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/20/bbc-ignores-world-cup-opening-ceremony-in-favour-of-qatar-criticism

Here's the link to the article your quote is from if others are interested:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/20/bbc-ignores-world-cup-opening-ceremony-in-favour-of-qatar-criticism

Very spicy indeed!
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4732 on: November 20, 2022, 11:02:48 AM »
Expand Quote
(From the guardian)
[close]

Here's the link to the article your quote is from if others are interested:

Very spicy indeed!

Yeah thanks not sure why I didn't post the link. For those who don't know the BBC is the state funded tv channel and for them to take a stance like this is unheard of. I honestly don't know if there is a US equivalent broadcasting network, Ireland is RTE , France TF1/2 etc I think CBC was public in Canada but I haven't lived there in 18 years.

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #4733 on: November 20, 2022, 11:08:31 AM »
the Fox broadcast was absolute garbage, switching to Telemundo and BBC from here on out

also get fucked qatar

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #4734 on: November 21, 2022, 10:56:13 PM »
England really came out swinging
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4735 on: December 17, 2022, 06:07:18 AM »
As nothing to do with the world cup posting back in this tread.

This is fucked. Watch the video.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/17/melbourne-a-league-derby-abandoned-as-fans-storm-pitch-and-keeper-attacked

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4736 on: December 17, 2022, 07:23:47 AM »
Seriously fuck the a league. The quality is less than absolute garbage anyway. Like a third of regular supporters are just cosplaying euro deadshit fanbases just trying to get some shit to kick off

nonickname

« Reply #4737 on: December 17, 2022, 07:52:38 AM »
That's disgusting - and hopefully all the clear CC feed gets these "hard" men locked up.

Nothing to that violent extent but even here in MLS we have complete tools who use games to pretend they're in The Football Factory - we had a "ultra" group banned after they set a section of another stadium on fire with flares...ummm it's a cup game between Toronto and Ottawa, not the most heated and historic of rivalries ya fucks.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4738 on: December 17, 2022, 08:07:33 AM »
Aye what kinda wanker attacks some one with a steel bucket for playing a game. Hope the bellend does time.
I lived in Canada when I was a kid and played football there was no MLS then, it's funny as fuck that they even think there is a rivalry or history.

nonickname

« Reply #4739 on: December 17, 2022, 08:28:41 AM »
Aye what kinda wanker attacks some one with a steel bucket for playing a game. Hope the bellend does time.
I lived in Canada when I was a kid and played football there was no MLS then, it's funny as fuck that they even think there is a rivalry or history.

Yep. It was a cup game with a lower division team too! So they have NO history at all. Just dumb fucks. Hell here Hockey rules and I play on a team that's full of Habs (Montréal) fans and I'm a Toronto guy...and other than dad style jokes and gentle natured put downs I couldn't imagine ever losing my shit over millionaires playing a sport to "rep my city". Laughable.