Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464641 times)

ThatIsNotCricket

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #4830 on: March 27, 2023, 03:34:13 PM »

His day has come already, but with a different kind of ball....Irish grand slam this year.

(I'm still kinda pissed about that James Lowe "try" btw haha)

Anyways, back to football: Mbappe is now French captain and like everything he seems to take it super serious. Looking forward to the Euro.....

Ah, I missed that one - rugby is basically non-existent here. I was in Rome when they played Italy there, but no chance of getting tickets. Did manage to embarras myself to (who I later found out were) Jack Crowley and Jimmy O'Brien, when the 30 or so Irish at the restaurant jumped up when those guys casually strolled past, asking the obviously clueless Dutchman to take their photos with them. I panicked to say something, then asked them who they were, who they were playing, and told them that Paul McGrath was a hero of mine growing up.

Anyway, the football: Ireland could've definitely ended up with a draw, if the bad luck at the start would've balanced out with a touch of good luck at the end there. Not a bad performance.

I of course couldn't be more proud that we quickly redeemed ourselves today, against those Southern-European titants of football.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #4831 on: March 28, 2023, 12:37:26 PM »
^ congrats lol

But just home really 1-0 for Scotland over Spain? WTF. Hopefully they can see it out.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #4832 on: March 30, 2023, 03:21:10 AM »
^ congrats lol

But just home really 1-0 for Scotland over Spain? WTF. Hopefully they can see it out.

I watched the second half and Scotland really deserved that victory!
Maybe Spain just did not take them seriously.....8 changes to the team from the previous game?? Come on, super risky.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4833 on: March 30, 2023, 03:55:25 AM »
Expand Quote
^ congrats lol

[close]

Maybe Spain just did not take them seriously.....8 changes to the team from the previous game?? Come on, super risky.

The atmosphere in the stadium was crazy, was so happy they saw it threw. Honestly the French announcers seamed very up for Scotland also.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #4834 on: March 30, 2023, 04:19:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
^ congrats lol

[close]

[close]

The atmosphere in the stadium was crazy, was so happy they saw it threw. Honestly the French announcers seamed very up for Scotland also.

yup "Flower of scotland" booming was amazing! as for the French announcers, I guess everybody likes to root for the underdogs.....plus it might have been straight schadenfreude at seeing a rival and neighbor in trouble haha!

slimvanilla

« Reply #4835 on: April 02, 2023, 12:26:10 PM »
thank God we sacked Potter. good riddance. has there ever been a bigger manager drop-off than Chelsea in the past year?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
« Reply #4836 on: April 02, 2023, 01:04:40 PM »
thank God we sacked Potter. good riddance. has there ever been a bigger manager drop-off than Chelsea in the past year?

Gotta wonder if they only pulled the trigger because Nagelsmann became available

slimvanilla

« Reply #4837 on: April 02, 2023, 02:00:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Gotta wonder if they only pulled the trigger because Nagelsmann became available
yeah definitely hoping we scoop him up. makes the most sense at the moment as the board is hoping to construct its own future, so why not start that with a young gun like Nagelsmann? (let's ignore the initial start w Potter lol it never happened)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4838 on: April 02, 2023, 05:33:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
yeah definitely hoping we scoop him up. makes the most sense at the moment as the board is hoping to construct its own future, so why not start that with a young gun like Nagelsmann? (let's ignore the initial start w Potter lol it never happened)

Also ignore that Chelsea is moving to get the manager Bayern abruptly fired in order to get the manager Chelsea abruptly fired

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #4839 on: April 03, 2023, 07:20:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I’ve read that Nagelsmann won’t take a job before the summer, most likely waiting on the situation with Real and PSG.
I could be dead wrong though, and they’re getting ready to announce him as I type this.

Everytime Chelsea has won the Champions League, it’s been after a mid season sacking…

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4840 on: April 03, 2023, 08:39:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I’ve read that Nagelsmann won’t take a job before the summer, most likely waiting on the situation with Real and PSG.
I could be dead wrong though, and they’re getting ready to announce him as I type this.

Everytime Chelsea has won the Champions League, it’s been after a mid season sacking…

Right, but how many seasons have they not won it after a mid-season sacking?   They went through them like shit through a goose post-Mourinho

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4841 on: April 03, 2023, 09:54:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Right, but how many seasons have they not won it after a mid-season sacking?   They went through them like shit through a goose post-Mourinho

Many, many times I’m sure

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4842 on: April 04, 2023, 06:05:03 AM »
So touching some ones face is a red card now? Well I guess if you fall over like a sack of spuds...

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4843 on: April 04, 2023, 07:44:00 AM »
So touching some ones face is a red card now? Well I guess if you fall over like a sack of spuds...

Yeah, now you can only caress your opponents face, and even that's a yellow sometimes
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4844 on: April 04, 2023, 08:42:44 AM »
Based off Liverpool and Chelsea’s form this season - I’m subbing this game El Ass-ico

slimvanilla

« Reply #4845 on: April 04, 2023, 02:33:51 PM »
chelsea-liverpool was an absolute snooze fest

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4846 on: April 05, 2023, 12:31:47 PM »
Frank’s back!

slimvanilla

« Reply #4847 on: April 05, 2023, 04:15:58 PM »
full circle with super Frank coming back. hoping he injects some attacking futbol into our players and we regain some confidence. then we say thank u and bye bye as we sign Nagelsmann or Enrique this summer :-)

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4848 on: April 06, 2023, 06:42:44 AM »
Willing to bet €5 Frank wins the champions league but doesn't get the job. Next manager in (after this summer) will be gone in ten months. Just like spurs a never ending cycle of managers but Chelsea actually win trophies. Personally I would have gone for Marcelo Bielsa...

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4849 on: April 06, 2023, 07:46:23 AM »
Willing to bet €5 Frank wins the champions league but doesn't get the job. Next manager in (after this summer) will be gone in ten months. Just like spurs a never ending cycle of managers but Chelsea actually win trophies. Personally I would have gone for Marcelo Bielsa...

I’d be gutted if they win CL because that means they get in next season even though they’re a mid table team. 

Roman A invented the coaching carousel.  (Let’s also not forget that the recent Kremlin link showed he was much closer to Putin than he publicly stated)

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #4850 on: April 10, 2023, 10:40:58 AM »
Watched the highlights of Lyon-Rennes and it seems that there's a boycott by home fans? Mostly empty stadium and no ultra banners... Do you know what's going on, @Síota? (I could google it, but I don't care that much)

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #4851 on: April 10, 2023, 11:57:49 AM »
Watched the highlights of Lyon-Rennes and it seems that there's a boycott by home fans? Mostly empty stadium and no ultra banners... Do you know what's going on, @Síota? (I could google it, but I don't care that much)

Googled it for you

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2023/lyon-ultra-groups-boycott-rennes-ligue-1-clash/

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #4852 on: April 10, 2023, 01:24:36 PM »
Damn you!

And thank you.

edit: Doesn't go into the details of the protest, but I'll assume it's because the club brought back Lovren.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4853 on: April 10, 2023, 01:31:28 PM »
Damn you!

And thank you.

edit: Doesn't go into the details of the protest, but I'll assume it's because the club brought back Lovren.

More interested now because of Lovren (ex LFC).  What do the ultras hate about him?   Didn’t see anything on google

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #4854 on: April 10, 2023, 02:25:53 PM »
Heh, that's just my assumption/joke, not based on any facts. I just don't like Lovren.

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #4855 on: April 10, 2023, 02:44:16 PM »
OK not my team...so I'm throwing this out for peoples thoughts...Andy Robertson and the linesman. Seems overblown to me. Marches over aggrieved and touches lino (who looks a tank as they say) and gets brushed off. But now Linesman is suspended while Robertson gets no further discipline (or at least that's my understanding from the other side of the pond). Anything new come of this? I didn't see it live and only have some grainy photos to go off of. But the Skysports team was all over the map with their opinions.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4856 on: April 10, 2023, 03:06:14 PM »
OK not my team...so I'm throwing this out for peoples thoughts...Andy Robertson and the linesman. Seems overblown to me. Marches over aggrieved and touches lino (who looks a tank as they say) and gets brushed off. But now Linesman is suspended while Robertson gets no further discipline (or at least that's my understanding from the other side of the pond). Anything new come of this? I didn't see it live and only have some grainy photos to go off of. But the Skysports team was all over the map with their opinions.

Looked like he moved his arm to wave him off but caught him under the chin.  Robertson got a yellow at the time, don’t see why he should be punished more, he was just being a typical aggressive advocate for his side, but didn’t seem like he did anything beyond the yellow.   

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #4857 on: April 10, 2023, 03:16:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Looked like he moved his arm to wave him off but caught him under the chin.  Robertson got a yellow at the time, don’t see why he should be punished more, he was just being a typical aggressive advocate for his side, but didn’t seem like he did anything beyond the yellow.

I was going off Skysports where they said Robertson grabbed his arm - so thought he'd get something, but again the pics that I've seen were so grainy I was hoping some UK Slap peeps may have seen something clearer - but I'm not going down the UK tabloid rabbithole for "research"!

Was a really great watch as a neutral though. Good goals, missed PK, great saves and some end to end rushes. Zinchenko looked gutted to have been megged for the cross to tie it up.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4858 on: April 11, 2023, 03:52:54 AM »
I missed all the football this weekend @Alan . Hopefully this evening I can catch up on everything.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4859 on: April 12, 2023, 03:50:26 AM »
The one weekend I miss of foot and so much goes down.

Roberson grabbed his arm no, and the linesman was just pushing him away from what I saw. Blow out of proportion due to media...

For OL they were/are pissed at the current state of the team, losing to Nates (in the League Cup) was the last straw. Rayan Cherki isn't doing them any favor's.

City are on fire, but that save from Sommer last night was class. Still hoping Napoli win the CL thou but that is a long ways away.

Glad I missed the Leeds match.

I missed the news about Ben Forster back playing foot again for Wrexham. Crazy with the new owners and all the media they are getting. Had no idea. His youtube channel is worth a look, especially the last match against Notts. he does a great job of capturing the excitement of that match. Hope they go up.