Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464609 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #4950 on: June 07, 2023, 07:37:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
COYI Dagenham Motors top on.

Also Messi to Miami pretty crazy, is he actually waiting til next season to start tho or have I misunderstood seems like a lot of time off but I guess he will want a break after this season at PSG
[close]

Yeah that season split is so weird.   I feel like that’s how Beckham trained with Arsenal and then ended up at AC Milan and PSG.   Needed something to do.

Even though he takes plenty of Saudi money already, glad he’s not following this weird recent trend.   

Also, MacAllister to Liverpool for 35M is wild.   It’s wild to think that’s a steal when I remember not too long ago that was a club record for Andy Carroll
[close]

I’m an LAFC fan but, Inter Miami always caught my attention. About to look into getting his name on my jersey.

Y’all think Ronaldo might come to the MLS too?

Not anytime soon.   He’s doing the 100M/season Saudi thing at the moment with Benzema and Ngolo Kante.   

There was a rumor that every team is paying a portion of Messi’s salary to get him to coke because they know what it’ll do for their ticket prices when he comes to town.   Sounds like a goofy internet thing, but MLS has a weird ownership structure and I guess it’s a way to get butts in seats for what’s soon to be 30! teams

Also - of great note - it appears Messi is wearing a t-shirt that says “Do a kickflip” on it in his espn interview about the move but I can’t get the video to play past the ad to confirm it

Mark Renton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #4951 on: June 07, 2023, 11:54:26 PM »
Lesgooooo oi oi

video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #4952 on: June 08, 2023, 12:28:19 AM »
@Atiba Applebum lol he is, its the fucking Louis Vuitton one: https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/37814083/move-mls-miami-kept-future-my-hands

Congrats to the West Ham fans, well deserved was nice seeing Moyes celebrate with his Da on the pitch.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #4953 on: June 08, 2023, 01:25:24 AM »
Isn't Messi kind of a (loveable) dork? I think there were photos of him with some skaters recently at some awards thing maybe he's just like oh the kids like skateboarding now I guess this shirt will be cool

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4954 on: June 08, 2023, 01:26:27 AM »
@Atiba Applebum lol he is, its the fucking Louis Vuitton one: https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/37814083/move-mls-miami-kept-future-my-hands

Congrats to the West Ham fans, well deserved was nice seeing Moyes celebrate with his Da on the pitch.

That was LV?!?!   I would have guessed Termite

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4955 on: June 08, 2023, 12:57:36 PM »
Yeah I guess it is
Christ his contract looks insane.

ThatIsNotCricket

• Rep: 41
« Reply #4956 on: June 08, 2023, 03:24:50 PM »
I was surprised that Ronaldo didn't go to the MLS after his failed second coming at United. But I don't think he'll make a move to the MLS now. The Saudi league seems intent on building something that is supposed to resemble prestige, which normalizes Ronaldo's presence there a tiny bit. Plus, the veterans coming over this season are some of his old buddies, so he'll now be able to have some quality off time with old friends (read: having dry, steamed chicken and water, and get a post-training training session in). Plus, he'll devote the coming season to making Euro 2024, and I imagine the Saudi league is perfect for an older player to prepare for such a final act: (financial) access to any form of physical support imaginable, while the duties on field are relatively minor. And last but not least, if he'd now move to the MLS he'd have to face up to what he's been trying to escape since 2019: the reality of him standing in Messi's shadow.

ThatIsNotCricket

« Reply #4957 on: June 08, 2023, 03:43:56 PM »
I hope West Ham fans are going to keep up the 'Champions of Europe' chant for the whole of next season. That's going to rile the opposition up, only in different ways, whether its Arsenal and Tottenham or Liverpool, Chelsea, United, Forest and Villa.

ThatIsNotCricket

« Reply #4958 on: June 08, 2023, 03:53:29 PM »
On that subject actually; anyone got any thoughts or predictions on this weekend? I mean, City will win it, obviously, but just for the sake of conversation.

I think it's going to be closer than might be expected, but City will secure a comfortable win in the second half. 2-0, maybe 2-1. Haaland will be neutralized, so I'll go for Gundogan and de Bruyne.

Roy Machine

• Rep: -5
« Reply #4959 on: June 09, 2023, 12:16:59 AM »
It feels strange to root for any of these two teams, because for me it is basically china against uae, but I am always in favour of the underdog (at least when the underdog is not playing against my team) so i hope Inter makes it.

I just hope that City does not score in the first few minutes and we have an open game till the end. My brain says a boring 2-0 for City but my heart wishes for a spectacular 3-2 for inter

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #4960 on: June 09, 2023, 12:21:55 AM »
On that subject actually; anyone got any thoughts or predictions on this weekend? I mean, City will win it, obviously, but just for the sake of conversation.

I think it's going to be closer than might be expected, but City will secure a comfortable win in the second half. 2-0, maybe 2-1. Haaland will be neutralized, so I'll go for Gundogan and de Bruyne.

Wish I had the confidence for obviously.
Inter plays the kind of football City struggles against.
If they can weather the nuclear assault of City’s first 15-20 minutes, and nick in a goal on the counter who knows what will happen.

But if we’re talking sexual fantasies, I want Grealish to score the winner.

Roy Machine

« Reply #4961 on: June 09, 2023, 12:33:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If they can weather the nuclear assault of City’s first 15-20 minutes, and nick in a goal on the counter who knows what will happen.

As much as i despise City i have to say grealish is really a breeze of fresh air and i wish him all the best.

When it actually comes to players I honestly like a lot of the City Squad. Their Skill Level is insane and they really feel like a team.

OldieButFrenchie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 101
« Reply #4962 on: June 09, 2023, 02:12:50 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That was LV?!?!   I would have guessed Termite

oh man, Messi wearing a goddamn Vuitton shirt that says Do a kickflip has gotta be the epitome of a jump-the-shark moment for skateboarding.... the French fashion industry is sooooo lame. Oh well.

Also, I don't know about considering Messi a lovable dork... Being sentenced twice for tax evasion makes him look pretty bad in my book. Plus he had the audacity of winning the WC final against Les Bleus!  ;)

ThatIsNotCricket

« Reply #4963 on: June 09, 2023, 03:04:23 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Yes, that would be Inter's dream scenario: survive the early onslaught, bring the tempo down and obstruct the flow of the game over the next 60 minutes, in the 80th minute profit from rare sloppy moment when City grow impatient, barricade the box over the last 10.

It's definitely not an ideal opponent for City, in terms of how compact they play and their defensive outlook, but City's qualities are just so varied and immense.

I've never really understood the hype around Lukaku (well,, after he left Everton), so I hope he'll shut me up tomorrow with a late winner. I don't have anything against City in that sense really, but I like a story with a plot twist

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4964 on: June 10, 2023, 07:22:32 AM »
Can't see City losing.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4965 on: June 10, 2023, 01:55:46 PM »
Hurts more that it happened in Istanbul.   Was hoping Inter could also redeem it for their city. 

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4966 on: June 10, 2023, 01:57:43 PM »
Happy for Jack. Don't give a rats arse about either team.

Roy Machine

« Reply #4967 on: June 10, 2023, 03:22:58 PM »
I feel sorry for inter. They put up a good fight

Síota

• SLAP Pal

ohtight

• Rep: 21
« Reply #4969 on: June 12, 2023, 09:29:01 AM »
Fuck inter im glad they lost. I’m not happy about city winning but anything would be better than inter.

Messi to Miami is bonkers. I’m gonna miss buying tickets for $4 but such is life. The idea of messi playing in Fort Lauderdale on the the same field where I used to watch high football games is complete fucking insanity.
zzz

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4970 on: June 12, 2023, 09:32:12 AM »
Fuck inter im glad they lost. I’m not happy about city winning but anything would be better than inter.

Messi to Miami is bonkers. I’m gonna miss buying tickets for $4 but such is life. The idea of messi playing in Fort Lauderdale on the the same field where I used to watch high football games is complete fucking insanity.

Why the inter hate?

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #4971 on: June 12, 2023, 11:07:05 AM »
This is a good read. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jun/11/uefa-treated-fans-at-istanbul-champions-league-final-like-cattle-say-supporters

These governing bodies are crime syndicates posing as stewards of the game. After the report of last year’s final finds what amounts to clear and obvious criminal negligence, Liverpool fans got an apology and a refund. And while this years fiasco reads more like inconvenience, tragedy is right around the corner and nobody is doing anything about it.

I wouldnt go to one of these finals for free, much less bring my family. I value life too much

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4972 on: June 12, 2023, 02:39:50 PM »
Looks like Benzema leaving as signaled a shift - Mbappe isn’t re-signing.    Either a push for Madrid (or he knows that threat is enough to beef up his contract at PSG)

ThatIsNotCricket

« Reply #4973 on: June 12, 2023, 02:50:31 PM »
I was rooting for Lukaku to shake off the curse of underperforming in the bigger matches, but it wasn't to be. The header straight to Ederson, the almost comical block of Dimarco's header. I felt for him. Then again, he was far from the only attacking player on the pitch who failed on some decent chances. And de Bruyne going off injured in a UCL final, again...That's just harsh.

Not the greatest of matches, but the second half was enjoyable. Italian football has taken a beating over the past weeks.

ThatIsNotCricket

« Reply #4974 on: June 12, 2023, 03:04:18 PM »
Looks like Benzema leaving as signaled a shift - Mbappe isn’t re-signing.    Either a push for Madrid (or he knows that threat is enough to beef up his contract at PSG)

Mbappe is just destined to play for Real at some point. It'd be interesting to see how they're going to play him together with Vinicius. I hope the Madrid fans will forgive him that he sort of snubbed them last minute for PSG a while back. I'm done with spoiled fans booing their own world class players

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4975 on: June 12, 2023, 04:20:54 PM »
I was surprised that Ronaldo didn't go to the MLS after his failed second coming at United. But I don't think he'll make a move to the MLS now. The Saudi league seems intent on building something that is supposed to resemble prestige, which normalizes Ronaldo's presence there a tiny bit. Plus, the veterans coming over this season are some of his old buddies, so he'll now be able to have some quality off time with old friends (read: having dry, steamed chicken and water, and get a post-training training session in). Plus, he'll devote the coming season to making Euro 2024, and I imagine the Saudi league is perfect for an older player to prepare for such a final act: (financial) access to any form of physical support imaginable, while the duties on field are relatively minor. And last but not least, if he'd now move to the MLS he'd have to face up to what he's been trying to escape since 2019: the reality of him standing in Messi's shadow.

Yeah as a wolves fan i’ve read they’re making offers to Moutinho, Adama and even Jimenez. Fuck knows if any of them happen but would be a shame to see Adama’s career go in that direction with so many years left in him, even if his finishing is pants there’s nothing like watching him bolt it box to box every now and again.

UCL final was such a dud watch in the end. City played so badly (for them) and now the last 4 years of finals have ended 1-0 which is a bit naff. Lakaku made me laugh though, anyone reckon he’ll be back at chelsea this season?

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4976 on: June 12, 2023, 11:25:48 PM »
Still absolutely buzzin’, and hungover.
Hit the booze pretty hard when KDB went of.
Lot’s of credit to Inter, the way they pressed City’s midfield was really effective.
Not a vintage performance, but who cares!

TREBLE!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4977 on: June 12, 2023, 11:32:46 PM »
I wish Aguero was a piece of shit so I could laugh that he retired just before a WC win and a treble victory.  Makes Pep’s “we cannot replace him” even more of a joke

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4978 on: June 13, 2023, 12:25:38 AM »
He’s obviously been not just replaced, but upgraded.
But scoring goals was never the problem.
This years success is down to the defenders imho.

ThatIsNotCricket

« Reply #4979 on: June 14, 2023, 01:07:48 PM »
He’s obviously been not just replaced, but upgraded.
But scoring goals was never the problem.
This years success is down to the defenders imho.

Yes, absolutely. Seems mad to say that when considering Haaland's numbers this season, but City's defense has been ultra reliable throughout. And John Stones has just completely reinvented himself.