Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464389 times)

whale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #5010 on: July 14, 2023, 03:20:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Obvious bias, but the storyline this year I’m most excited about is the emergence of Trent Alexander Arnold in the midfield.    He’s been crushing it with England lately
[close]

I am also looking forward to this storyline
[close]

Definitely. I've got no skin in the game with regard to Liverpool and England, but I hope Trent's going to kill it this season.

I think Deli Alli's storyline has perhaps now become THE storyline in the league for next season, in terms of individual players at least, for entirely different reasons of course. I hope to see him on the pitch more and more, putting in good performances, as the season progresses. Ideally with Everton, but maybe a bit more breathing space in a foreign league would make more sense for all involved (if the opportunity is there).

Rooting for Dele to get back to his former glory.

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5011 on: July 14, 2023, 03:28:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Obvious bias, but the storyline this year I’m most excited about is the emergence of Trent Alexander Arnold in the midfield.    He’s been crushing it with England lately
[close]

[close]

Definitely. I've got no skin in the game with regard to Liverpool and England, but I hope Trent's going to kill it this season.

I think Deli Alli's storyline has perhaps now become THE storyline in the league for next season, in terms of individual players at least, for entirely different reasons of course. I hope to see him on the pitch more and more, putting in good performances, as the season progresses. Ideally with Everton, but maybe a bit more breathing space in a foreign league would make more sense for all involved (if the opportunity is there).
[close]

Honestly it’d be amazing to see him back, even if it’s just putting in a shift at Everton or on loan in the championship tbh. However I’m still weary about how much time he’s really going to need, in the interview he said he’d only left that rehab 3 weeks ago so the hardest is still to come, fingers crossed though! Fuck the press for pressuring him into bringing this to light so soon too, absolute rats

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #5012 on: July 14, 2023, 04:23:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Honestly it’d be amazing to see him back, even if it’s just putting in a shift at Everton or on loan in the championship tbh. However I’m still weary about how much time he’s really going to need, in the interview he said he’d only left that rehab 3 weeks ago so the hardest is still to come, fingers crossed though! Fuck the press for pressuring him into bringing this to light so soon too, absolute rats

Did they?  I thought he wanted to put this out there to help others…but either way, incredibly brave of him to be so open and honest about his past, especially in a sport where that can be easily weaponized against you from opposing fans.   

GuessAgain?

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5013 on: July 15, 2023, 06:39:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Did they?  I thought he wanted to put this out there to help others…but either way, incredibly brave of him to be so open and honest about his past, especially in a sport where that can be easily weaponized against you from opposing fans.

What I gathered from the interview was he would’ve rather done an interview on his terms however the British press were hounding Everton and his people claiming they knew where he’d been the past few months (rehab) and were going to break the news regardless whether he wanted to or not and in their words.

Which is pretty fucked up but classic british press. I can’t imagine what it’s like to be a public figure and out of life changing rehab for less than a month. Then before even fully processing life now he’s cornered into telling his story so no-one else does. It’s obviously amazing to tell it to help other people but it must still be so fresh and unstable for him.

British press will happily not report the name of a nonce BBC news reader for 5 days so they can get their story straight. Yet when it comes to a footballer dealing with his own trauma they’ll do whatever they want. Sorry for the rant but the media over here when it comes to football is just sickly.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5014 on: July 15, 2023, 06:44:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What I gathered from the interview was he would’ve rather done an interview on his terms however the British press were hounding Everton and his people claiming they knew where he’d been the past few months (rehab) and were going to break the news regardless whether he wanted to or not and in their words.

Which is pretty fucked up but classic british press. I can’t imagine what it’s like to be a public figure and out of life changing rehab for less than a month. Then before even fully processing life now he’s cornered into telling his story so no-one else does. It’s obviously amazing to tell it to help other people but it must still be so fresh and unstable for him.

British press will happily not report the name of a nonce BBC news reader for 5 days so they can get their story straight. Yet when it comes to a footballer dealing with his own trauma they’ll do whatever they want. Sorry for the rant but the media over here when it comes to football is just sickly.

Huw Edwards (or whatever) was a nonce? Or is it that Philip guy?   

But yeah, that shit is so gross.   Def seems like The Sun behavior, but I don’t really know how gross all the different ones are.   The Guardian seems like the one halfway decent spot that doesn’t traffic in this shit

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #5015 on: July 16, 2023, 07:07:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

But yeah, that shit is so gross.   Def seems like The Sun behavior, but I don’t really know how gross all the different ones are.   The Guardian seems like the one halfway decent spot that doesn’t traffic in this shit

Guessing they're referring to Jimmy Saville
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5016 on: July 16, 2023, 07:20:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That’d make more sense.   The newsreader part threw me off

GuessAgain?

« Reply #5017 on: July 17, 2023, 03:44:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That’d make more sense.   The newsreader part threw me off

Na I meant Huw Edwards, I thought I read the girl he bought photos off was 17 when he stated, which is dodgey af. Plus the fact he spent £30k on photos, god knows what kind of explicit images you’re buying for that kind of money but surely they’re not the norm. Either way the BBC seemed to have a hold on the uk media all week because when the news broke about the ‘unamed presenter’ I searched it on reddit that day and all the commenters knew it was Huw 5 days before ‘his wife came forward’ after he’d been put in mental hospital. - talk about getting the story right before releasing it lol.

Maybe I’m just way too skeptical of the British media though ay

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5018 on: July 20, 2023, 12:58:25 AM »
Women’s World Cup has just started now. NZ looking decent against Norway right now. Hopefully we get the win to start off with

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #5019 on: July 20, 2023, 01:36:24 AM »
Women’s World Cup has just started now. NZ looking decent against Norway right now. Hopefully we get the win to start off with

Crazy NZ might actually get their first WC win ever and at home. Its cool its free to air, like I'm half watching it in work on the computer for free.

Edit: Just saw the attendance is 42,137 that is crazy for football in NZ, let alone woman's. 6,366 or so are watching the live stream in France alone. Woman's football definitely is on the rise.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #5020 on: July 20, 2023, 02:03:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Crazy NZ might actually get their first WC win ever and at home. Its cool its free to air, like I'm half watching it in work on the computer for free.

Edit: Just saw the attendance is 42,137 that is crazy for football in NZ, let alone woman's. 6,366 or so are watching the live stream in France alone. Woman's football definitely is on the rise.
Pretty ok game. NZ was actually pretty sloppy for the last third doesn't look great for Norway barely even getting a shot at goal. Weirdly it's on commerical tv in Aus (luckily seems like they aren't putting commercials during the games). don't know how much tickets were in NZ or what kind of resell fuckery was going on but feel like you'd have to try and go if it was in your town, it's a fukn world cup.

Dad_Brains

« Reply #5021 on: July 20, 2023, 02:09:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Pretty ok game. NZ was actually pretty sloppy for the last third doesn't look great for Norway barely even getting a shot at goal. Weirdly it's on commerical tv in Aus (luckily seems like they aren't putting commercials during the games). don't know how much tickets were in NZ or what kind of resell fuckery was going on but feel like you'd have to try and go if it was in your town, it's a fukn world cup.

So close at the end but got the win! I’ve got tickets for next weeks games and they were only $20 so no issues there.

Bill Salt

« Reply #5022 on: July 20, 2023, 02:12:56 AM »
I doubt they got a "skateboarding" thread on soccer/football forums...

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5023 on: July 20, 2023, 03:03:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

So close at the end but got the win! I’ve got tickets for next weeks games and they were only $20 so no issues there.
Dam $20 is fukn sick think it costs more to watch women's A league games. Yeah psyched for NZ but now gotta stress watching Aus play.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5024 on: July 20, 2023, 04:06:41 AM »
Think they were 15 or so euro for the match's here last world cup.

Not sure what to make of this match, Sam Kerr pulling out the last minute definitely did us some favor's but at this point (half time) I'd be happy with a point but....

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5025 on: July 20, 2023, 05:04:26 AM »

Not sure what to make of this match, Sam Kerr pulling out the last minute definitely did us some favor's but at this point (half time) I'd be happy with a point but....
Psyched for the win but think Ireland played better especially towards the end.  It's a bad sign for things to come without sam kerr. They're claiming she hurt herself at training but she was kind wobbly at the end of a friendly against France a week ago and went off early and had a ton of ice on her leg.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5026 on: July 20, 2023, 05:25:57 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Psyched for the win but think Ireland played better especially towards the end.  It's a bad sign for things to come without sam kerr. They're claiming she hurt herself at training but she was kind wobbly at the end of a friendly against France a week ago and went off early and had a ton of ice on her leg.

Yah congrats dude. Was a scrappy match. It's a pretty hard group, Canada is strong even with the the finical problems. Nigeria were decent last WC also.
Hopefully she (Sam) is back for the last group match.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 491
« Reply #5027 on: July 20, 2023, 05:47:48 AM »

https://www.bigsoccer.com/threads/skateboarding.623592/

you are wrong, my dude.

Dad_Brains

« Reply #5028 on: July 20, 2023, 11:24:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Yah congrats dude. Was a scrappy match. It's a pretty hard group, Canada is strong even with the the finical problems. Nigeria were decent last WC also.

Didn’t catch much of the oz game. Was the score line reflective of it? Spain kick off in half an hour, stoked most of it’s on free tv here

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5029 on: July 20, 2023, 11:31:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Didn’t catch much of the oz game. Was the score line reflective of it? Spain kick off in half an hour, stoked most of it’s on free tv here
Opposite here lol get home from work early only to discover they're only going to show like a 6th of the games on tv.
I guess one nil is kinda hard to say not reflective of the game but the goal was a penalty kick. I'm hyper critical of Aus but I do think Ireland was really going for it more (but then of course they were behind so had to)

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5030 on: July 20, 2023, 11:34:35 PM »
sick, man. maybe just stick to the threads you're interested in then? rather than go into threads & be weird about skaters wanting to discuss whatever they wanna discuss

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5031 on: July 21, 2023, 12:31:42 AM »
Damn Canada and Nigeria drew 0-0.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5032 on: July 21, 2023, 12:45:44 AM »
For anybody who doesn't have access to watch the games or doesn't want to sit thru a full 90mins there does seem to be very brief highlights videos going up

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #5033 on: July 23, 2023, 07:26:08 PM »
For people in Australia, some of the highlights and full matches are up on the Optus Sport app
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

left knee cap

• Rep: 118
  • $$$$
« Reply #5034 on: July 23, 2023, 08:08:26 PM »
it's going to be a tough year as a Spurs fan

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5035 on: July 23, 2023, 08:16:24 PM »

Wait, when’s there been a good year?

left knee cap

• $$$$
« Reply #5036 on: July 23, 2023, 09:41:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

haha touché. i think the prospect of us losing Kane is feeling real as Bayern Munich keeps pecking.

best outcome is they sell Kane and put that to use and get some good players out of it. hoping the best for Udogie and Solomon.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5037 on: July 23, 2023, 10:04:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

haha touché. i think the prospect of us losing Kane is feeling real as Bayern Munich keeps pecking.

best outcome is they sell Kane and put that to use and get some good players out of it. hoping the best for Udogie and Solomon.

Do you have any faith in the new manager?   

left knee cap

• $$$$
« Reply #5038 on: July 24, 2023, 06:06:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Do you have any faith in the new manager?

50/50, interested to see where it takes him into the regular season. all the fan accounts i follow though do not like him haha.

we do need better defense so i hope we secure that before the window ends. also crazy people are speculating mbappé, there is no way he is coming to play for tottenham.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5039 on: July 24, 2023, 06:30:34 AM »
He did an amazing job a Celtic but the premier league is a whole other ball game. If he can win one trophy the will deserve a statue.

Pretty crazy Jamaica drew nil all with France.