Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464568 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #5040 on: July 24, 2023, 07:12:14 AM »
He did an amazing job a Celtic but the premier league is a whole other ball game. If he can win one trophy the will deserve a statue.

Pretty crazy Jamaica drew nil all with France.

Yeah, Gerrard did great with Rangers only to be humbled at Villa, but then again Unai Emery didn’t have a stellar reign at Arsenal but seems like he’s going to have Villa overachieving this year

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #5041 on: July 24, 2023, 08:21:42 AM »

Is France also missing a key player? Its pretty cool there was only one goalless game in the entire first round. Three blowouts (Japan, Germany, Brazil) can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. Wish I could watch the whole games tho to see what it's really like

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #5042 on: July 24, 2023, 09:28:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Is France also missing a key player? Its pretty cool there was only one goalless game in the entire first round. Three blowouts (Japan, Germany, Brazil) can be good or bad depending on how you look at it. Wish I could watch the whole games tho to see what it's really like
Yep Marie-Antoinette Katoto and Delphine Cascarino are all missing..three of their best. Heaps of the best players for slot of countries are missing actually, which, as this result shows, opens the tournament up a bit.

Gary Bucket

• Rep: 42
« Reply #5043 on: July 24, 2023, 12:53:53 PM »
Expand Quote
He did an amazing job a Celtic but the premier league is a whole other ball game. If he can win one trophy the will deserve a statue.

[close]

Yeah, Gerrard did great with Rangers only to be humbled at Villa, but then again Unai Emery didn’t have a stellar reign at Arsenal but seems like he’s going to have Villa overachieving this year

I think Gerrards great job at Rangers is a bit of a myth. Only won one league while Celtic were a mess, losing to the likes of Livingston while Neil Lennon was out getting wasted.

Ange was incredible at Celtic and with better resources he will excel at Spurs, especially after the January window. Relentless attack and possession, if you don’t press you dont play. Daizen Maeda was first choice on the wing for a year and a half simply because he pressed like a madman when they were out of possession.

If it doesnt work at Spurs for Postecoglou it wont be his fault. The team that gives him what he wants will get a full trophy case the way he filled Celtic’s

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #5044 on: July 24, 2023, 03:06:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think Gerrards great job at Rangers is a bit of a myth. Only won one league while Celtic were a mess, losing to the likes of Livingston while Neil Lennon was out getting wasted.

Ange was incredible at Celtic and with better resources he will excel at Spurs, especially after the January window. Relentless attack and possession, if you don’t press you dont play. Daizen Maeda was first choice on the wing for a year and a half simply because he pressed like a madman when they were out of possession.

If it doesnt work at Spurs for Postecoglou it wont be his fault. The team that gives him what he wants will get a full trophy case the way he filled Celtic’s

Correct me if I’m wrong but, didn’t both Conte and Mourinho bitch publicly that they were not given enough backing from the owners?

I don’t mean to shit on Spurs too much but if there ever was a team staring into the abyss it’s them.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5045 on: July 24, 2023, 03:28:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Correct me if I’m wrong but, didn’t both Conte and Mourinho bitch publicly that they were not given enough backing from the owners?

I don’t mean to shit on Spurs too much but if there ever was a team staring into the abyss it’s them.

I think there’s a different level of entitlement of support between Mourinho/Conte and Postecoglou that will be key

Gary Bucket

« Reply #5046 on: July 24, 2023, 03:49:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think there’s a different level of entitlement of support between Mourinho/Conte and Postecoglou that will be key

I really do think Postecoglou can do more with less than both of those two. It comes with measured expectations and the caveat that Levy could fuck it up at the drop of a hat. Not a Spurs fan really but if the team finishes in a decent place on the back of the way Ange plays they should be over the moon.

And if they fail and he somehow manages to come back to Celtic there will be 60,000+ at Parkhead to welcome him

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5047 on: July 24, 2023, 04:13:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I really do think Postecoglou can do more with less than both of those two. It comes with measured expectations and the caveat that Levy could fuck it up at the drop of a hat. Not a Spurs fan really but if the team finishes in a decent place on the back of the way Ange plays they should be over the moon.

And if they fail and he somehow manages to come back to Celtic there will be 60,000+ at Parkhead to welcome him

Hah but you already have a prodigal successful manager return!

Gary Bucket

« Reply #5048 on: July 25, 2023, 10:23:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I was pretty dead set against Rodgers’ return but the lack of other candidates and the club keeping a good recruitment model has got me looking forward to Europe

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5049 on: July 25, 2023, 10:25:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I was pretty dead set against Rodgers’ return but the lack of other candidates and the club keeping a good recruitment model has got me looking forward to Europe

I’m a Liverpool supporter, so I get it, but curious why you don’t take to him.   I thought he had a quite successful campaign.   Is it because how he left?

(The Thierry Henry Jamie Carragher clip when they found out he got sacked was all of us especially bc it allowed us to start dreaming of Klopp)

Gary Bucket

« Reply #5050 on: July 25, 2023, 12:49:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I’m a Liverpool supporter, so I get it, but curious why you don’t take to him.   I thought he had a quite successful campaign.   Is it because how he left?

(The Thierry Henry Jamie Carragher clip when they found out he got sacked was all of us especially bc it allowed us to start dreaming of Klopp)

He was obviously cleaned up domestically while he was here and developed the likes of Kieran Tierney, Callum McGregor and James Forrest but the end was sour for a lot of reasons and the European campaigns were not as good as many hoped.

After Neil Lennons second tenure ended in disaster the fans mostly had a “you can never go home” vibe. Then Postecoglou came from the other side of the world and absolutely won everyone over so i think everyone was hoping for that again.

I did think Ange wouldve been perfect for Liverpool for a bunch of reasons, mainly his absolutely down to earth personality. Plus it was his boyhood club, waking up in the middle of the night to watch King Kenny with his dad. I dont support any English teams really but always enjoy catching a Liverpool game. Klopp is talking up a big game for this year, i imagine youre excited for what he’s cooking up

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5051 on: July 25, 2023, 01:28:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

He was obviously cleaned up domestically while he was here and developed the likes of Kieran Tierney, Callum McGregor and James Forrest but the end was sour for a lot of reasons and the European campaigns were not as good as many hoped.

After Neil Lennons second tenure ended in disaster the fans mostly had a “you can never go home” vibe. Then Postecoglou came from the other side of the world and absolutely won everyone over so i think everyone was hoping for that again.

I did think Ange wouldve been perfect for Liverpool for a bunch of reasons, mainly his absolutely down to earth personality. Plus it was his boyhood club, waking up in the middle of the night to watch King Kenny with his dad. I dont support any English teams really but always enjoy catching a Liverpool game. Klopp is talking up a big game for this year, i imagine youre excited for what he’s cooking up

Not a fan of Rodgers return either, him walking out before the end of the season was a no-no for me. Ange moving on make sense he won everything (domestically) and let's face it Celtic doesn't have the budget to compete in Europe anymore..that said Spurs is a horrible choice...no offense to the spurs fans but like Chelsea it's a revolving door for managers.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5052 on: July 25, 2023, 02:24:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think Ange would too, but thankfully we have Klopp for a few more seasons.   A little nervous for the end, but I’m somewhat hoping his assistant takes the reigns and does a Shankly to Paisley transition of power.   

Definitely looking forward to this season.   Darwin got a lot of unnecessary stick last year.   He had some bad misses, but he did contribute a healthy amount.   By the looks of pre-season, he’s settled in.    Not to mention adding MacAllister, Szobo, and Romeo Lavia imminently, plus a potential TAA midfield role.   

I’m just worried we haven’t replaced all the outgoing players (Milner, Henderson, Fabinho, AOC, Firmino and maybe a few others, I forget) and I’m a wee bit worried not having their influence in the locker room.   

It’s the annoying thing of having the self-righteous air of not spending billions in the transfer market, but kinda wish we could at least spend commensurate with other top 4 sides

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #5053 on: July 25, 2023, 06:50:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think Ange would too, but thankfully we have Klopp for a few more seasons.   A little nervous for the end, but I’m somewhat hoping his assistant takes the reigns and does a Shankly to Paisley transition of power.   

Definitely looking forward to this season.   Darwin got a lot of unnecessary stick last year.   He had some bad misses, but he did contribute a healthy amount.   By the looks of pre-season, he’s settled in.    Not to mention adding MacAllister, Szobo, and Romeo Lavia imminently, plus a potential TAA midfield role.   

I’m just worried we haven’t replaced all the outgoing players (Milner, Henderson, Fabinho, AOC, Firmino and maybe a few others, I forget) and I’m a wee bit worried not having their influence in the locker room.   

It’s the annoying thing of having the self-righteous air of not spending billions in the transfer market, but kinda wish we could at least spend commensurate with other top 4 sides

Stoked to see the new midfielders that Liverpool have signed but also a bit nervous about losing Fabino especially. He's a solid and reliable player who plays 90 min in most games. Would of been nice to hang onto Firmino for another season too but I get why he's bailed
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5054 on: July 25, 2023, 07:11:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Stoked to see the new midfielders that Liverpool have signed but also a bit nervous about losing Fabino especially. He's a solid and reliable player who plays 90 min in most games. Would of been nice to hang onto Firmino for another season too but I get why he's bailed

Yeah Fab didn’t last too long surprisingly.  I was worried about Firmino leaving just bc I like him and the track record has not been good for players that have left under Klopp.  I think Emre Can has done the best and that’s just keeping his place at Dortmund.   

I’m sort of most sad about Milner going.  Man is a true professional

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5055 on: July 27, 2023, 05:21:08 AM »
Props to Nigeria but fuck Australia fucked that up bad. Literally just had to draw and totally blew it. Hard to watch too, one of my personal most hated things in football is just pointless pass/crossing like you don't actually know how to play but have seen football on tv and can pretend. 15 corners and almost never picked out a player to hit the ball to, a million kicks into the goalbox again with no specific target in mind. Nigeria literally played with 9 people in the box for most the game so got the ball easy every time. Aus had 3 missing attacking players but still fukn chat

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5056 on: July 27, 2023, 01:38:50 PM »
Aye I told you Nigeria were underrated. We're out after that loss to Canada but deep down kinda expected that.

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5057 on: July 28, 2023, 01:28:56 AM »
Was at the Dutch game yesterday. Was quite feisty in the end but probably a fair result. Can’t stand American fans though. They seem to know nothing about the rules of football, are so one-eyed and have far too many cliched chants. At least make something up about the other team/players than just chanting USA over and over again at a different speed. One guy behind me kept going on about unnecessary roughness and hip checks, then came out with “I don’t actually know the rules but that’s a foul” over a clean tackle when the yank came off second best. Hopefully Portugal do them over next week!

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5058 on: July 28, 2023, 01:43:38 AM »
Was at the Dutch game yesterday. Was quite feisty in the end but probably a fair result. Can’t stand American fans though. They seem to know nothing about the rules of football, are so one-eyed and have far too many cliched chants. At least make something up about the other team/players than just chanting USA over and over again at a different speed. One guy behind me kept going on about unnecessary roughness and hip checks, then came out with “I don’t actually know the rules but that’s a foul” over a clean tackle when the yank came off second best. Hopefully Portugal do them over next week!
It's funny because whenever I watch I have to stop myself from saying "uh you can't do that" every five minutes. I do think they have slightly different rules in the US and even more so in lower levels. Was it a particularly rough game?(I only saw the highlights) one thing I have noticed over the years watching women's soccer is there does seem to be a lot of careless/dangerous tackles but actually haven't seen too many this world cup (but then I'm only really watching highlights)

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5059 on: July 28, 2023, 01:49:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
It's funny because whenever I watch I have to stop myself from saying "uh you can't do that" every five minutes. I do think they have slightly different rules in the US and even more so in lower levels. Was it a particularly rough game?(I only saw the highlights) one thing I have noticed over the years watching women's soccer is there does seem to be a lot of careless/dangerous tackles but actually haven't seen too many this world cup (but then I'm only really watching highlights)

It definitely got rougher as the game went on. Some cynical fouls from both sides but they know what they were doing so no issues there. One Dutch player ended the game with a swim cap on as her head was bleeding.

I have noticed it seems the refs are afraid to give out cards. In the Nz game against the Phillipines their keeper was playing for time from about the 30th minute. In a regular game she would’ve been carded early on but she got nothing the whole game. Was surprised none of the Nz players left a foot in on her towards the end

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #5060 on: July 28, 2023, 01:56:11 AM »
I haven't watched much of the tournament yet but it did occur to me watching the Australia vs Nigeria game how sloppy and late a lot of the Australian players' tackles were. Surprised red cards weren't issued at a couple of points
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5061 on: July 28, 2023, 02:07:05 AM »
I haven't watched much of the tournament yet but it did occur to me watching the Australia vs Nigeria game how sloppy and late a lot of the Australian players' tackles were. Surprised red cards weren't issued at a couple of points
Prob bias on my part but it was sloppy both ways. Very used to teams constantly flopping against Aus. Just before the world cup the men played Argentina and the Argentine players just sat on the ground if anyone went near them. They'd kick someone in the back of the legs and act like they got fowled. One guy even kneed an Australian in the groin then sat complaining cos he hurt his leg.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5062 on: July 28, 2023, 02:08:59 AM »
At least they don't roll around like they have been shot like the men do, well most of them. Been to busy in work and shit to watch the last few days match's hopefully I can catch France/Brazil tomorrow.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5063 on: July 28, 2023, 02:17:24 AM »
Sorry to double post but it's that time of year for the fantasy here is the copy and pasta:

"
Hello,

For the 2023/24 Fantasy Premier League why don't you join my mini-league "Slap Pals"?

Joining the league couldn't be easier. Simply use the link below and you'll be added automatically after you've entered the game.

https://fantasy.premierleague.com/leagues/auto-join/ae97wj

League Code: ae97wj

Looking forward to playing against you this season!

"

Picked my team but for sure will change it a bit before the season starts. Think if you were in last year you need to pick your team then click renew leagues.

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #5064 on: July 31, 2023, 10:19:45 AM »
Thankfully the time difference and a moderately late night meant I missed out on Canada's embarrassing exit to the World Cup. The party line has been that coming into the tourney they felt disrespected as Olympic champions and that the financial component of the Soccer Canada contracts (finalized while the tourney was on) was a burden. But that was gawd damn shocking. Defense looked as well drilled as my over 40 squad - and with the same amount of firepower up front. 1 goal scored from open play over 3 games is a failure no matter how you try to spin it.

Congrats Aussies - but I really thought it'd be you AND Canada going through at the start of all this.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5065 on: July 31, 2023, 10:26:10 AM »
Congratulations @Mean salto ! @nonickname I did worn everyone about Nigeria,but Canada were shambles.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5066 on: July 31, 2023, 10:45:18 AM »
It's funny the main people talking about the women's world cup happened to go for three teams in the same group. I'd of much rathered they let the first goal stand and not bother with that penalty but that's not how it works I guess.

Bummer for Ireland and Canada I can relax knowing Aus got thru the group stage would of been pretty chat if both hosts at least didn't make it that far. Soz NZ

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5067 on: July 31, 2023, 11:23:20 AM »
It's a bummer for sure but realistically I didn't think we (Ireland) had a chance.
Also as above anyone interested join our fantasy league (for the premier league).

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5068 on: August 06, 2023, 05:36:52 AM »
Dam USA vs Sweden was garbage. Neither team looked like they wanted to win at all for 120+ mins. Drama for the wrong reasons in penalty shootout (it's not great when it becomes first to not miss) kinda sus they didn't even show a replay for like ten mins and even then just once. They show more replays for random offsides than a game winning goal

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #5069 on: August 06, 2023, 07:46:48 PM »
Japan looked really good in the Japan vs Norway match. I haven't watched heaps of matches in the tournament yet but they're the first team I've seen that were very competent in their passing and the plays they were making
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps