Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464278 times)

OldieButFrenchie and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #5100 on: August 12, 2023, 12:50:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
France vs Aus very long pretty hard to watch game with possibly longest penalty shootout (10 each). Happy for the win but it can't be good for my blood pressure watching play like that lol.
[close]
Congrats, now hammer the Brits please. It's on at midday here so hopefully can watch it.
[close]
Fuck i hope it happens I was even thinking would I rather Aus lose this round so France can kill England lol.
 France was weirdly kinda cruising, the whole time I was thinking if you guys just get one goal we're dead. Aus is always fucking scrambling, even doing a bunch of unnecessary shit and France was just casually going end to end all game.
I'm not French, I just live here. Yeah it was a weird match too many nerves. I'm Irish so always up for anyone playing the Brits hahaha, it's only banter thou. I watch France because well it's my home. But even now cheering on Scotland just to wind up my mates (rugby test match).
I think the Americans were the most underperforming side.
How good would it be for Australia to win the whole thing at home!

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #5101 on: August 12, 2023, 08:29:28 PM »
Feel for Tyrone Mings. His reaction while being strapped down was horrible to watch.

Not a Magpies fan but that (aside from the injury) was a fun watch. Them vs Citeh next week looks like a must watch.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #5102 on: August 12, 2023, 08:34:49 PM »
Feel for Tyrone Mings. His reaction while being strapped down was horrible to watch.

Not a Magpies fan but that (aside from the injury) was a fun watch. Them vs Citeh next week looks like a must watch.

Maybe it’s because there are already mega clubs buying like assholes, but it’s nice Newcastle never went transfer nuts.   You would have thought Nottingham Forest was the one with mega billions the way they spent last season.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5103 on: August 13, 2023, 08:25:30 AM »
The first half of Brentford/Spurs was decent, second was a snooze fest.  Hopefully Chelsea Liverpool is decent.
And yeah I thought Newcastle was gonna go mental in transfers but they have been decent.

cky enthusiast

« Reply #5104 on: August 13, 2023, 08:48:46 AM »
west ham: mid for another year and loving it

Mark Renton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #5105 on: August 13, 2023, 12:55:49 PM »
west ham: mid for another year and loving it

I love it too.
COYI
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

TDotRoyale

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5106 on: August 13, 2023, 04:47:11 PM »
does anybody out ther enjoy this sport?....

i do and've seen a couple of dudes with a soccer themed avatar so i thought i might bring this up

i think it's pretty much love it or hate it thing here in the us

Didn't grow up with soccer but fell in love with it in my early 20s. I'm almost 50 now and still loving it. Part of the problem in N America, I think, is the pace of the game and the whole diving thing. The diving part has gotten better, especially with MLS, but it's still a scourge in the game. I grew up playing competitive hockey and baseball, but soccer is my favorite team sport by far. In some ways it's like baseball. You can get lulled to sleep by it and then all of a sudden something big happens and the game changes in a second. Of course that's when it's played at the highest level. At lower levels it can be excruciating ...
X

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #5107 on: August 13, 2023, 09:04:31 PM »
Probably already mentioned here but San Diego is the nearest biggest city (in USA) of where I live. Just learned today that they're getting a MLS team. See you in 2025, San Diego FC (working name). They're part owned by the Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay Nation. So, that's cool.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5108 on: August 14, 2023, 09:25:54 AM »
Mbappe deciding he might stick around for a bit at the same time Neymar leaves for obscurity can’t be unrelated.   Wonder what Neymar is going to do for nightlife now

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #5109 on: August 14, 2023, 10:47:10 AM »
Apparently Lavia chooses Chelsea over Liverpool too..
Yo Klopp, interested in Kalvin Phillips for say, 120 million?

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #5110 on: August 14, 2023, 07:32:38 PM »
VAR can draw a line to measure millimeters to see a thread of kit offside...but somehow can't see that absolute mugging at the end of ManUtd/Wolves. Don't know what else to say really.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

GuessAgain?

• Rep: 56
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5111 on: August 15, 2023, 04:21:00 PM »
VAR can draw a line to measure millimeters to see a thread of kit offside...but somehow can't see that absolute mugging at the end of ManUtd/Wolves. Don't know what else to say really.

Bruh, tell me about it  ::)

To me the referee organisation have to come out and admit 1 of 2 things:
- they either make split second decisions, whether consciously on subconsciously, favouring bigger clubs. Whether it’s because of personal biases or just because deep down they know they’ll get hounded by a far bigger/more powerful fanbase they don’t want to upset.
- or… they’re just total fucking idiots who don’t actually know how to actually carry out this technology and rules correctly.

If we get relegated from a tight relegation battle with a point in it then i’ll be pissed. Although 23 shots on goal and we still couldn’t find the net, I wouldn’t be surprised if we bottled the pen too…

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5112 on: August 15, 2023, 05:00:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bruh, tell me about it  ::)

To me the referee organisation have to come out and admit 1 of 2 things:
- they either make split second decisions, whether consciously on subconsciously, favouring bigger clubs. Whether it’s because of personal biases or just because deep down they know they’ll get hounded by a far bigger/more powerful fanbase they don’t want to upset.
- or… they’re just total fucking idiots who don’t actually know how to actually carry out this technology and rules correctly.

If we get relegated from a tight relegation battle with a point in it then i’ll be pissed. Although 23 shots on goal and we still couldn’t find the net, I wouldn’t be surprised if we bottled the pen too…

They suspended the main official and the VAR official.   I’m sure they’ll make it up in a different match

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5113 on: August 15, 2023, 08:39:23 PM »
as a chelsea fan, i'm not sure how to feel. it's exciting to be buying tons of players and locking em up for the future. but it can also backfire terribly. we looked good against Liverpool and in the preseason so i'm hoping we continue to move in the right direction. feels kinda bad tho knowing that we're basically buying success rather than growing organically.

on another note, i work for LAFC and am looking forward to the Inter Miami match next month. LA should be a madhouse

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5114 on: August 16, 2023, 12:16:00 AM »
as a chelsea fan, i'm not sure how to feel. it's exciting to be buying tons of players and locking em up for the future. but it can also backfire terribly. we looked good against Liverpool and in the preseason so i'm hoping we continue to move in the right direction. feels kinda bad tho knowing that we're basically buying success rather than growing organically.

on another note, i work for LAFC and am looking forward to the Inter Miami match next month. LA should be a madhouse

You’re a chelsea fan that’s concerned about buying success??    Granted, 13 incoming players in a year is an outlier, but you’ve been  buying success since Roman bought the club like 20 years ago.   You guys are the original plastic fan base.   

I found it pretty funny they were using photos of Caicedo in an older Chelsea shirt to show what a life long fan he was, but that jersey was maybe two years old.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #5115 on: August 16, 2023, 01:21:01 AM »
ManU mugged smaller teams left and right since before Ferguson days.
It’s like discovering hot water. Or that the earth is not flat.
Doesn’t mean that it’s not gonna rightfully piss people off.

Also lmao at Chelsea fan.
You guys were playing in a car park before Russian mafia money.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -295
« Reply #5116 on: August 16, 2023, 02:03:41 AM »
Let’s go Tillies!!!!!!

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5117 on: August 16, 2023, 04:55:38 AM »
After Sam Kerr's goal I thought Australia had a chance. Was great match thou.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5118 on: August 16, 2023, 04:56:27 AM »
Maybe it was just my feed, but surprised at the muted emotions at the final whistle.   

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #5119 on: August 16, 2023, 05:00:26 AM »
^Nah don't think there was many England fans in the stadium.

Fuck that was disappointing. Psyched Aus got that far (and can still go for 3rd) but every game showed more and more they don't have a fucking midfield. Sam kerr fucking had to play on the wing and Mary Fowler was literally playing centre back half the game. How the fuck are you going to score if your two forwards are doing all the work of the rest of the team.

Anyway props to England they completely outclassed Aus for basically the entire game and judging by what I've seen should be a fair bit better than Spain.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5120 on: August 16, 2023, 05:38:25 AM »
Yeah England has to be the bookies favourites for the final.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5121 on: August 16, 2023, 05:56:37 AM »

Fuck that was disappointing. Psyched Aus got that far (and can still go for 3rd) but every game showed more and more they don't have a fucking midfield. Sam kerr fucking had to play on the wing and Mary Fowler was literally playing centre back half the game. How the fuck are you going to score if your two forwards are doing all the work of the rest of the team.

Anyway props to England they completely outclassed Aus for basically the entire game and judging by what I've seen should be a fair bit better than Spain.

I meant from the players.    England wasn’t going nuts, and Australia felt very stiff upper lip about their loss.   It was all very dignified feeling, I guess I’d say

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5122 on: August 16, 2023, 06:05:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I meant from the players.    England wasn’t going nuts, and Australia felt very stiff upper lip about their loss.   It was all very dignified feeling, I guess I’d say
Ah yeah it was a weird one all game with minimal celebrations. Maybe Sam kerr was gassed because she had to solo half a field to score but she didn't give it much after scoring either. The coverage always seems so one sided here too the commentators were talking like Aus had it even after going 2-1 down still showing Kerr's goal replays and barely acknowledging England's second. Felt like they barely even showed England after the game ended (but I switched off after a couple mins)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5123 on: August 16, 2023, 06:35:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Ah yeah it was a weird one all game with minimal celebrations. Maybe Sam kerr was gassed because she had to solo half a field to score but she didn't give it much after scoring either. The coverage always seems so one sided here too the commentators were talking like Aus had it even after going 2-1 down still showing Kerr's goal replays and barely acknowledging England's second. Felt like they barely even showed England after the game ended (but I switched off after a couple mins)

Yeah my feed cut out pretty quick so I didn’t see much other than a few handshakes between opponents.   I usually support England internationally, but I would happy to see AUS make it to the finals.   I’m sentimental when it comes to host teams making it to their own finals especially when it would have been their first

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5124 on: August 16, 2023, 07:20:14 AM »
There was a good five or so minutes here after the final whistle before I turned it off. Might have gone on longer but I had things to do.
Anyways the final is again at midday here so that Sunday lunch sorted.

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5125 on: August 16, 2023, 08:33:00 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

You’re a chelsea fan that’s concerned about buying success??    Granted, 13 incoming players in a year is an outlier, but you’ve been  buying success since Roman bought the club like 20 years ago.   You guys are the original plastic fan base.   

I found it pretty funny they were using photos of Caicedo in an older Chelsea shirt to show what a life long fan he was, but that jersey was maybe two years old.
you're right, i shouldn't be complaining or feeling any type of way. i'm a young lad in Slap years and i've only been supporting the club since around 2011 (i know) so i've just always thought of Chelsea as a big club. Drogba is who drew me in, while Hazard kept my interest peaked. last year was rough, but this season should be exciting.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5126 on: August 16, 2023, 12:30:45 PM »
Germans/Bundesliga fans - Is Wataru Endo of Stuttgart someone to be excited about?

Edit: went from rumor to reality pdq.   Kinda feel for him that he was one game shy of 100 Bundesliga appearances, but I’m sure he’s over the moon about the move
« Last Edit: August 16, 2023, 01:41:37 PM by Atiba Applebum »

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5127 on: August 16, 2023, 02:17:21 PM »
Well Man City got another

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #5128 on: August 16, 2023, 02:52:20 PM »
Well Man City got another

As we do.
In all seriousness, what a shit game.
With both KDB and Silva out of this game, we seriously laked the creative spark.
Our fanbase (you know, my other two mates) touts Foden as KDB’s successor but I’m having a hard time seeing it. Looked better on the wing once Alvarez came on.
We saw the meme side of Walkers defending again today and even Ake had a few blunders in him. Guess his missing Dias’s leadership. Very lucky Sevilla couldn’t capitalize.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5129 on: August 19, 2023, 03:13:17 AM »
Geez another miserable watch. The way Australia played in their last 3 games it's surprising they even made it out the group stages.
I guess 4th isn't too bad or anything but it would be nice if they are least looked like they were supposed to be there.