Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464745 times)

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #5130 on: August 19, 2023, 04:44:26 AM »
Geez another miserable watch. The way Australia played in their last 3 games it's surprising they even made it out the group stages.
I guess 4th isn't too bad or anything but it would be nice if they are least looked like they were supposed to be there.
Mate they did well, remember they were ranked #10 overall before the tournament even started. Plus they massively raised the awareness of woman's football both there and abroad. No one give a rat's arse about 3rd.

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #5131 on: August 19, 2023, 05:34:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Geez another miserable watch. The way Australia played in their last 3 games it's surprising they even made it out the group stages.
I guess 4th isn't too bad or anything but it would be nice if they are least looked like they were supposed to be there.
[close]
Mate they did well, remember they were ranked #10 overall before the tournament even started. Plus they massively raised the awareness of woman's football both there and abroad. No one give a rat's arse about 3rd.
The end result is good and the women's national league in Australia starts in a couple weeks so we'll see if the interest stays high. Even knowing the world cup was coming up there were games last season with less than 500 people there so it'd be good if that got fixed.
And i know I'm overly critical its just hard to watch sometimes. I'm not saying I could do better or anything like that
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 06:11:45 AM by Mean salto »

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #5132 on: August 19, 2023, 07:54:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
The end result is good and the women's national league in Australia starts in a couple weeks so we'll see if the interest stays high. Even knowing the world cup was coming up there were games last season with less than 500 people there so it'd be good if that got fixed.
And i know I'm overly critical its just hard to watch sometimes. I'm not saying I could do better or anything like that

Not an Aussie...but they also had a day's less rest and when games are that tightly congested that will make a huge difference. Why both semis weren't on the same day is unfair.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5133 on: August 19, 2023, 08:07:50 AM »
Yeah piss pour schedule in my book. But hopefully like @Mean salto said it helps the domestic game. Looking forward to the final tomorrow.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #5134 on: August 20, 2023, 09:03:15 AM »
Ok well world cups over and once again I picked incorrectly lol. Props to Spain but gotta say where I was watching it the crowd was kinda turning on them with about 30 to go. Overall a good enough comp tho

Random shit: did anyone know there was a mascot? It was a fucking penguin.
Japan really blew it. They were my pick to win absolutely destroyed in group stages and somehow just didn't turn up against Sweden. They must be really wondering what the fuck happened seeing as they crushed the now champions.

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5135 on: August 20, 2023, 12:25:08 PM »
holy shit that chelsea game was dreadful. $100+ mill midfielder missing pen then our other $100+ mill midfielder giving them a pen. awful. i miss the first Lampard stint when we had a transfer ban, expectations were low, and academy players were running the show. spending over a billion on unproven guys is idiotic. last week was exciting, this week feels like the same Chelshit as last season

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #5136 on: August 20, 2023, 03:31:13 PM »
holy shit that chelsea game was dreadful. $100+ mill midfielder missing pen then our other $100+ mill midfielder giving them a pen. awful. i miss the first Lampard stint when we had a transfer ban, expectations were low, and academy players were running the show. spending over a billion on unproven guys is idiotic. last week was exciting, this week feels like the same Chelshit as last season

If I could place a bet on Mancini being your manager by seasons end, I would

mynameisnotjeff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 584
« Reply #5137 on: August 20, 2023, 08:04:57 PM »
Ok well world cups over and once again I picked incorrectly lol. Props to Spain but gotta say where I was watching it the crowd was kinda turning on them with about 30 to go. Overall a good enough comp tho

Random shit: did anyone know there was a mascot? It was a fucking penguin.
Japan really blew it. They were my pick to win absolutely destroyed in group stages and somehow just didn't turn up against Sweden. They must be really wondering what the fuck happened seeing as they crushed the now champions.

I only knew because they made fun of the penguin looking like Rapinoe.
After the US, I wanted Japan to win. Heartbroken.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5138 on: August 21, 2023, 01:56:12 AM »
I watched the final in a pub half full of Brits and half full of French girls, was great craic. But what the fuck about that creep Gianni Infantino kissing Jennifer Hermoso? Hopefully he gets charged with sexual assault or something.
My fantasy team needs a massive shake up....

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5139 on: August 21, 2023, 02:51:28 AM »
I watched the final in a pub half full of Brits and half full of French girls, was great craic. But what the fuck about that creep Gianni Infantino kissing Jennifer Hermoso? Hopefully he gets charged with sexual assault or something.

Wrong baldo.  It was Spanish FA prez or something like that

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5140 on: August 21, 2023, 03:00:45 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah sorry it was Luis Rubiales, either way not cool.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5141 on: August 21, 2023, 04:07:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yeah sorry it was Luis Rubiales, either way not cool.

yeah even though it didn't linger, the two hand face scoop was def bad news

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #5142 on: August 27, 2023, 11:00:48 AM »
Oh my what a game!
Can Nunez deliver like this more consistently?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5143 on: August 27, 2023, 12:01:40 PM »
Oh my what a game!

I think so.   He had on paper a pretty good season last year, he was just like an unbroken pony with too much energy and made a mess of some easy chances, but he still converted plenty.   

(Liverpool need to play with 10 men more often…our two wins come from that formation)

I’m switching my vote to Mancini replacing Howe instead of Pochettino
   Edit:  Mancini just announced as Saudi Arabia NT coach
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 12:38:07 PM by Atiba Applebum »

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5144 on: August 27, 2023, 02:12:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Oh my what a game!
[close]

I think so.   He had on paper a pretty good season last year, he was just like an unbroken pony with too much energy and made a mess of some easy chances, but he still converted plenty.   

(Liverpool need to play with 10 men more often…our two wins come from that formation)

Is there some noise about replacing Howe that I haven’t heard of? He got them to CL, and Newcastle has a smart way of building the team, why would they replace him now?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5145 on: August 27, 2023, 03:09:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oh my what a game!
[close]

[close]

Is there some noise about replacing Howe that I haven’t heard of? He got them to CL, and Newcastle has a smart way of building the team, why would they replace him now?

There’s no noise, but 2 losses out of 3 especially to a 10 man team isn’t the way to get job security.   I think he’s a good transitional manager for them, but I’m sure they would be excited to take a name and Mancini would be a good guy to take them to that next level like he did with Man City iirc

whale

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5146 on: August 27, 2023, 03:27:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oh my what a game!
[close]

[close]

[close]

There’s no noise, but 2 losses out of 3 especially to a 10 man team isn’t the way to get job security.   I think he’s a good transitional manager for them, but I’m sure they would be excited to take a name and Mancini would be a good guy to take them to that next level like he did with Man City iirc

Fair enough, but they only shit the bed against Liverpool. Loosing 1-0 against City is not that bad, and they hammered Villa who are no slouch themselves.
I do think Eddie Howe will be replaced somewhere along the way, but not in the near future.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5147 on: August 27, 2023, 03:54:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Oh my what a game!
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Fair enough, but they only shit the bed against Liverpool. Loosing 1-0 against City is not that bad, and they hammered Villa who are no slouch themselves.
I do think Eddie Howe will be replaced somewhere along the way, but not in the near future.

I think he’s got some time left too.  Really depends where they are in December

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5148 on: August 28, 2023, 01:31:36 AM »
I didn't think Howe would last this long when he was appointed. He has done a great job. But I expect pressure to mount if he doesn't start winning..

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 90
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
« Reply #5149 on: August 28, 2023, 02:14:22 AM »
Nunez supremacy.  Love that mad cunt.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5150 on: August 28, 2023, 03:25:05 AM »
I didn't think Howe would last this long when he was appointed. He has done a great job. But I expect pressure to mount if he doesn't start winning..

I remember when he was being touted as the heir apparent to Arsenal when he had Bournemouth overachieving…then they fell back to earth and then some

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #5151 on: August 28, 2023, 05:56:54 AM »
Far out what an incredibly exciting game. Really happy with the vigour that Liverpool played with throughout the game. What could of been an absolute disaster match ended up being a really good test for us. This should hopefully see a Diaz Darwin Mo front 3 on the horizon
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #5152 on: August 28, 2023, 06:30:16 AM »
YNWA
ok thanks

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5153 on: August 28, 2023, 08:54:13 PM »
IRWA

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5154 on: August 28, 2023, 09:03:04 PM »
Far out what an incredibly exciting game. Really happy with the vigour that Liverpool played with throughout the game. What could of been an absolute disaster match ended up being a really good test for us. This should hopefully see a Diaz Darwin Mo front 3 on the horizon

Also, nice to see the development of Doak and Quensah.   Obviously a bummer when the transfer windows makes us look less ambitious than others, but if we’re actually developing first team level talent, then that’s exciting. 

Frank Sobotka

• Rep: 90
  • We used to make shit in this country, build shit
« Reply #5155 on: September 02, 2023, 12:14:58 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I remember when he was being touted as the heir apparent to Arsenal when he had Bournemouth overachieving…then they fell back to earth and then some

I really rate Howe, what he did at Bournemouth was phenomenal. If and when Klopp leaves, I wouldn't mind him as a potential successor, if nobody else is available (I'm looking at you, Xabi Alonso).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 12:41:42 AM by Frank Sobotka »

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5156 on: September 02, 2023, 12:35:26 AM »
Forgot to post the other night, champions league groups:
"2023/24 Champions League group stage draw

Group A: Bayern (GER), Man United (ENG), Copenhagen (DEN), Galatasaray (TUR)

Group B: Sevilla (ESP), Arsenal (ENG), PSV Eindhoven (NED), Lens (FRA)

Group C: Napoli (ITA), Real Madrid (ESP), Braga (POR), Union Berlin (GER)

Group D: Benfica (POR), Inter (ITA), Salzburg (AUT), Real Sociedad (ESP)

Group E: Feyenoord (NED), Atlético Madrid (ESP), Lazio (ITA), Celtic (SCO)

Group F: Paris (FRA), Dortmund (GER), Milan (ITA), Newcastle (ENG)

Group G: Man City (ENG), Leipzig (GER), Crvena zvezda (SRB), Young Boys (SUI)

Group H: Barcelona (ESP), Porto (POR), Shakhtar Donetsk (UKR), Antwerp (BEL)"

Some spicy groups, group f is group of death lol. Looking forward to Celtic/Lazio...

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5157 on: September 02, 2023, 06:39:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I really rate Howe, what he did at Bournemouth was phenomenal. If and when Klopp leaves, I wouldn't mind him as a potential successor, if nobody else is available (I'm looking at you, Xabi Alonso).

When Klopp leaves, I’m kinda hoping Pep Ljinders takes over in a Shankly to Paisley kind of transition.   But that day frightens me bc Klopp has papered over so many issues our owners cause

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5158 on: September 02, 2023, 12:08:46 PM »
chelshit

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5159 on: September 02, 2023, 12:16:23 PM »
Brighton is a very likable team.   I hope they maintain their ambition stay contending for the top half of the top half of the table