Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464631 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #5220 on: October 03, 2023, 06:44:06 PM »

Still laughing about this

Eh I’m not too bothered. It’s not like Liverpool have lost out on a title race or two in the Klopp era bc of the results of one match

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800
« Reply #5221 on: October 04, 2023, 12:21:57 AM »
Here is a link to the article/video above:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/03/var-audio-full-transcript-luis-diaz-goal-liverpool-tottenham

They must have been half asleep...

Lens did will, wonder how Newcastle will do against PSG this eve

whale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #5222 on: October 04, 2023, 06:16:48 AM »
My gawd that giveaway by the ManUtd keeper today was outrageous. I'm not even a fan and that's at least the 3rd huge blunder by him I've seeen in highlights since he arrived. He must have been calmer on the ball in Italy or he's just feeling the pressure of the "big move"?
He had a much, much better defence in front of him at Inter.
I keep saying even though I’m far from a Utd fan, that well see what this team can do when they get their starting back line out of the treatment room.
One opinion I read from ManU supporter that I do fully agree on, ETH should quit trying to play like City, Liverpool and Arsenal for now and just stick to counter-attacking football until their squad is mostly fit.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #5223 on: October 04, 2023, 12:32:20 PM »
Maybe too early to say, but looks like Man U is Europa bound

How does the movement between the Champions League and Europa work? Is it only relegation from CL to EL or is it possible to be promoted from EL to CL?

Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5224 on: October 04, 2023, 12:34:04 PM »
You can't move up to CL from EL, unless you win EL, then you get to play in CL next season.

EDIT: On a related note, they're changing up the CL format starting next season

"From the 2024/25 season, 36 clubs will participate in the Champions League league phase (former group stage), giving four more sides the opportunity to compete against the best clubs in Europe. Those 36 clubs will participate in a single league competition in which all 36 competing clubs are ranked together."

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/0268-12157d69ce2d-9f011c70f6fa-1000--new-format-for-champions-league-post-2024-everything-you-ne/
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5225 on: October 04, 2023, 01:03:40 PM »
You can't move up to CL from EL, unless you win EL, then you get to play in CL next season.

EDIT: On a related note, they're changing up the CL format starting next season

"From the 2024/25 season, 36 clubs will participate in the Champions League league phase (former group stage), giving four more sides the opportunity to compete against the best clubs in Europe. Those 36 clubs will participate in a single league competition in which all 36 competing clubs are ranked together."

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/0268-12157d69ce2d-9f011c70f6fa-1000--new-format-for-champions-league-post-2024-everything-you-ne/

Don’t forget England might get an extra spot due to sustained winning in CL

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #5226 on: October 05, 2023, 03:22:23 AM »
Thanks for your responses. What causes a team to be relegated from CL to EL and how many teams does it occur too?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 984
« Reply #5227 on: October 05, 2023, 03:56:46 AM »
3rd place in each champions league group goes to europa knockout rounds

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #5228 on: October 05, 2023, 02:14:05 PM »

Thanks for your response. Man utd might be lucky to even make Europa then
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5229 on: October 05, 2023, 05:54:33 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thanks for your response. Man utd might be lucky to even make Europa then

Sevilla is perfectly primed to go back to their comfort zone

LemThurdy

• Rep: -15
« Reply #5230 on: October 08, 2023, 01:21:20 PM »
Arsenal over   city. I’ve waited too long for this

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #5231 on: October 19, 2023, 08:33:36 PM »
Some notes on Uruguay 2-0 over Brazil at the Centenario. As with so many SA games you had a mixture of flopping of the highest order, crazy "industrial" tackles flying in, and on the ball skill of a ridiculous level. Nunez with a goal and an even more impressive assist for the 2nd was his usual "don't know what you'll get" self - but Araujo from the back impressed me with his passing.
Brazil never really got going and seemed to be a collection of individual great players who didn't play as a unit. Losing Neymar obviously hurt them - but they looked disjointed.

Here at home Michael Bradley is retiring - which anyone who has had to watch this painful year of TFC could have told you is the right decision - but with Herdman coming in who knows what he'll be offered post playing with the club. Great servant/Captain who helped usher in our best years (PKs notwithstanding) - but it was time.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5232 on: October 26, 2023, 09:02:21 PM »
i like Darwin a lot, but boy he's like having Liverpool Fernando Torres and Chelsea Fernando Torres all in one body

Dad_Brains

• Rep: 12
« Reply #5233 on: October 27, 2023, 01:16:26 AM »
i like Darwin a lot, but boy he's like having Liverpool Fernando Torres and Chelsea Fernando Torres all in one body

Best bit today was after he hit the post and gravenberch scored, the kop were chanting Nunez Nunez and he came off laughing at himself it looked like

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5234 on: October 27, 2023, 01:34:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Best bit today was after he hit the post and gravenberch scored, the kop were chanting Nunez Nunez and he came off laughing at himself it looked like

I saw that from a fan angle.   He’s a gunner and he’ll never lack from confidence from missing, which is nice.   

I’ve sat through the Andy Carrolls and Christian Bentekes (and Balotellis to a lesser extent) to know a dud.   He’s not dud and I was pretty chuffed to see Endo and Gravenberch score as well.   

It’s a team that I think has a high ceiling, but I don’t really if they can hit it yet as I don’t think Klopp has found it’s ideal lineup yet with MacAllister still playing DM.   I also REALLY want to win Europa bc that’s the first trophy Klopp lost when he came to the club and the only one he wasn’t won, so the completest in me wants it bad.    Sorry I’m being so chatty rn

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #5235 on: November 05, 2023, 06:28:21 PM »
Haaland fucked my fantasy week by getting injured and subbed off at half. I wasted my triple captain on him.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
« Reply #5236 on: November 05, 2023, 09:52:09 PM »
Ooof

Yeah I hope he'll be back next matchday. The rest of my squad was pretty shit this week too, except for Trippier.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5237 on: November 06, 2023, 12:06:28 AM »
chelsea spurs tomorrow, let's end spuds' unbeaten streak!!

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5238 on: November 06, 2023, 03:35:46 AM »
Yeah had a shit week for points in the league also, what the fuck is Liverpool up to? Dropping points to Luton..
Would love to watch the match tonight but think i'll be too tired. Should be decent.

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 41
« Reply #5239 on: November 06, 2023, 02:12:32 PM »
well that game was a shitshow. big 3 points but holy shit so many VAR checks i can't say it was an enjoyable watch. spurs showed a lot of heart. cmon Chelsea!

nonickname

« Reply #5240 on: November 07, 2023, 08:18:44 PM »
I'm not a Barca fan boy by any means, and don't follow La Liga...but for them to not score a single goal in a CL group stage game just doesn't seem right. I'm of the age I just assume them to be a perfect mix of swashbuckling attack and swarming D. Watched the highlights and it was basically just S.D attempts and plays the Barca D hoped would get called offside.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5241 on: November 07, 2023, 08:25:58 PM »
I'm not a Barca fan boy by any means, and don't follow La Liga...but for them to not score a single goal in a CL group stage game just doesn't seem right. I'm of the age I just assume them to be a perfect mix of swashbuckling attack and swarming D. Watched the highlights and it was basically just S.D attempts and plays the Barca D hoped would get called offside.

I don’t watch much La liga either, but Madrid and Barca both just seem super transitional at the moment, well stocked with the next generation, but perhaps not enough with experience.    A lot more questions would be asked of RM if Jude didn’t bail them out of so many games

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5242 on: November 08, 2023, 12:05:51 AM »
Giroud scoring the winner over PSG is funny as fuck crazy that he is 37 and still playing at that high of a level.
Celtic banning the green brigade was the final straw for me, actually laughed when I saw the score last night.
Been meaning to ask my boss about Mainz (he is from there an a fan) sacking Anwar El Ghazi as fuck that club also.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5243 on: November 08, 2023, 12:22:59 AM »
Giroud scoring the winner over PSG is funny as fuck crazy that he is 37 and still playing at that high of a level.
Celtic banning the green brigade was the final straw for me, actually laughed when I saw the score last night.
Been meaning to ask my boss about Mainz (he is from there an a fan) sacking Anwar El Ghazi as fuck that club also.

Wasn’t AEG sharing sentiments that were slogans of Hamas and that’s the line that was crossed?    I only know Mainz bc it Jurgen Klopp played for them in his short career and I think it’s where he got his start. 

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5244 on: November 08, 2023, 01:11:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Wasn’t AEG sharing sentiments that were slogans of Hamas and that’s the line that was crossed?    I only know Mainz bc it Jurgen Klopp played for them in his short career and I think it’s where he got his start.

Yes Klopp played and then managed them, my boss looks kinda like him according to my ex lol. Nah from what I read Anwar El Ghazi was just very vocal about the civilian casualties:

"I condemn the killing of all innocent civilians in Palestine and Israel. My sympathies are with the innocent victims of this conflict irrespective of their nationality. I am committed to a peaceful and integrated Middle East region."

"To the extent my previous statements on social media have been misunderstood, I would like to make clear that I stand for peace and humanity for all."

"Stand for what is right, even if it means standing alone,"
"The loss of my livelihood is nothing when compared to the hell being unleashed on the innocent and vulnerable in Gaza #stopthekilling."

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5245 on: November 08, 2023, 02:09:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yes Klopp played and then managed them, my boss looks kinda like him according to my ex lol. Nah from what I read Anwar El Ghazi was just very vocal about the civilian casualties:

"I condemn the killing of all innocent civilians in Palestine and Israel. My sympathies are with the innocent victims of this conflict irrespective of their nationality. I am committed to a peaceful and integrated Middle East region."

"To the extent my previous statements on social media have been misunderstood, I would like to make clear that I stand for peace and humanity for all."

"The loss of my livelihood is nothing when compared to the hell being unleashed on the innocent and vulnerable in Gaza #stopthekilling."

Gotcha - I briefly saw someone claiming one of his posts (in addition to the one you posted) was a Hamas slogan, but I didn’t check the source that said that.   

Seems what it really comes down to is Mainz’s personal history of Jewish people and ongoing sensitivity in Germany with their own history with Jewish people … and that he wasn’t a particularly vital part of the team

nonickname

« Reply #5246 on: November 08, 2023, 11:43:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Gotcha - I briefly saw someone claiming one of his posts (in addition to the one you posted) was a Hamas slogan, but I didn’t check the source that said that.   

Seems what it really comes down to is Mainz’s personal history of Jewish people and ongoing sensitivity in Germany with their own history with Jewish people … and that he wasn’t a particularly vital part of the team

Got this from The Guardian:

"One of Mainz's founding members and its first chairman was Eugen Salomon, a Jewish man who was stripped of his club functions by the Nazis in 1933. Salomon died in the Holocaust in 1942." and that AEG had used "from the river to the sea" in earlier posts.

Just adding info.

Now here's hoping the ManUtd/Copenhagen game is a fun watch as I'm home early.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5247 on: November 08, 2023, 03:27:42 PM »
Man U’s hope of advancement to CL or Euro hinges on playing a Bayern team that’s won the group.   lol

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #5248 on: November 08, 2023, 11:12:29 PM »
It is so frustrating to be a fan of them right now. Regardless of whether Rashford should have gotten straight red or not, you can't just completely shut down as a team if someone gets sent off. And the softest of soft penalties doesn't get reviewed...

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5249 on: November 09, 2023, 06:37:50 AM »
It is so frustrating to be a fan of them right now. Regardless of whether Rashford should have gotten straight red or not, you can't just completely shut down as a team if someone gets sent off. And the softest of soft penalties doesn't get reviewed...

Does Ten Hag have fan support still?