Author Topic: football anyone? as in soccer...  (Read 464591 times)

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 800

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
Re: football anyone? as in soccer...
« Reply #5281 on: January 26, 2024, 03:21:36 AM »
Damn, sorry Liverpool fans, what a shock.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/26/jurgen-klopp-to-step-down-as-liverpool-manager-at-end-of-season

Yeah it’s a bummer, but fortunately I think it would be highly out of character for him to become Man U or Chelsea manager in the future - that’s the only way this would truly sting.   It’s been a fantastic 10 years and he’s delivered everything except a Europa

Fortunately, Xabi Alonso is panning out to be a good coach and reportedly has conditions in his contract that allow him to leave for LFC or RM sounds guess I’m glad this happened in a timely manner if that’s the case. 

I also potentially wouldn’t hate if Pep Ljinders stuck around as manager and we had that Shankly - Paisley continuity. 

Alan

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2547
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5282 on: January 26, 2024, 09:38:25 AM »
Lijnders is leaving too. As is the rest of Klopp's staff, apparently.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5283 on: January 26, 2024, 09:43:41 AM »
Lijnders is leaving too. As is the rest of Klopp's staff, apparently.

Saw that.   Don’t necessarily mind as I’d assume the new manager would bring their own crew. 

Glad Stevie G found a nice paying job already so I don’t have to worry about that

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #5284 on: January 26, 2024, 10:54:31 AM »
lol but he's a club legend!!!

(I can't believe that has been a legit reason for some clubs to hire a manager)

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5285 on: January 26, 2024, 11:00:25 AM »
lol but he's a club legend!!!

(I can't believe that has been a legit reason for some clubs to hire a manager)

Hah I was blinded by his success at Rangers. 

Remember when it used to be “was a coach under Mourinho” and maybe 0% of them panned out.  Brendan Rogers might have been the best of the lot

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5286 on: January 26, 2024, 11:51:47 PM »
Xabi Alonso seams like the logical choice.
Wonder if Klopp will end up back at Mainz one day.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #5287 on: January 27, 2024, 05:23:31 AM »

It does.
Was hoping Alonso would succeed Pep if he ends up leaving when his contract ends.
If Alonso does come, will he bring Wirtz with him?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5288 on: January 27, 2024, 10:11:02 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It does.
Was hoping Alonso would succeed Pep if he ends up leaving when his contract ends.

I feel like Real Madrid would have already snatched him up to replace Ancelotti by that point. 

My biggest fear is another manager not being able to make the comparatively measly transfer funds work the same way Klopp was.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #5289 on: January 27, 2024, 01:21:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

It does.
[close]

I feel like Real Madrid would have already snatched him up to replace Ancelotti by that point. 

My biggest fear is another manager not being able to make the comparatively measly transfer funds work the same way Klopp was.

If Alonso comes he’d have a perfect player to use like he uses Frimpong in TAA, but that would leave Salah (who’s heavily courted by the saudis) without a place in the starting XI.
Maybe Salah money could be Alonsos Coutinho money?

E: forgot to add Nagelsmann and De Zerbi as potential and good choices for the job

EE: also Xavi is leaving Barcelona at the end of the season.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 01:29:56 PM by whale »

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5290 on: January 27, 2024, 03:55:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

It does.
[close]

[close]

If Alonso comes he’d have a perfect player to use like he uses Frimpong in TAA, but that would leave Salah (who’s heavily courted by the saudis) without a place in the starting XI.
Maybe Salah money could be Alonsos Coutinho money?

E: forgot to add Nagelsmann and De Zerbi as potential and good choices for the job

EE: also Xavi is leaving Barcelona at the end of the season.

I always assumed this was Salah’s last season if the Saudi’s were going to offer 250M.   The Saudi project seems to have gone the way of the China League, so who can say anymore. 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5291 on: January 31, 2024, 01:37:38 PM »
As long as Liverpool can keep their academy coaches and whatever together - Quansah and Bradley have been amazing this season

Síota

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5292 on: February 12, 2024, 06:03:42 AM »
Probably shouldn't have left Declan Rice on my bench in my fantasy team this weekend...

Shredroe

• Rep: -3
« Reply #5293 on: February 18, 2024, 01:18:24 PM »
Great Saturday of football come on you REDS ❤️🌳

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5294 on: February 18, 2024, 01:39:23 PM »

I keep feeling ok with the table, then remembering how much longer the season is and I clench up hard

Owen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #5295 on: February 18, 2024, 02:21:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I keep feeling ok with the table, then remembering how much longer the season is and I clench up hard

Yep it's going to be a long road ahead for Liverpool. Man City dropping points in any game is a huge help though. When looking at the table, you've got to assume that they will win their game in hand. Drawing with Chelsea actually puts us one point up though which is really exciting.

How fucked was Jota's knee injury though, looking like we will be in pieces if things continue as they are on the injury front
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #5296 on: February 18, 2024, 04:00:46 PM »
Had to check in with a WestHam supporting friend of mine after that capitulation...their transfer window with 2 creative mids out and no one in have hamstrung them.

Haaland vs Chelsea missed 2 or 3 glorious chances that KDB put on a platter for him. Couldn't believe it. Race is going to a great one with 3 legit teams fighting and others pushing to shake it up for the European spots.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5297 on: February 18, 2024, 05:30:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Yep it's going to be a long road ahead for Liverpool. Man City dropping points in any game is a huge help though. When looking at the table, you've got to assume that they will win their game in hand. Drawing with Chelsea actually puts us one point up though which is really exciting.

How fucked was Jota's knee injury though, looking like we will be in pieces if things continue as they are on the injury front

Right and Chelsea starting to show some signs of life isn’t thrilling me for the Finals.   Hopefully there are some academy geniuses like Quansah and Bradley that are ready to step in

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #5298 on: February 19, 2024, 03:55:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Right and Chelsea starting to show some signs of life isn’t thrilling me for the Finals.   Hopefully there are some academy geniuses like Quansah and Bradley that are ready to step in

Fingers crossed the tradition of beating Chelsea in finals continues
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5299 on: February 19, 2024, 07:44:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

But hopefully it can be wrapped up before PKs, particularly so Kelleher doesn’t need to take another one

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #5300 on: February 19, 2024, 12:47:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

But hopefully it can be wrapped up before PKs, particularly so Kelleher doesn’t need to take another one

Haha not sure if I've seen that... or want to.

How crazy was the one where it went all of the way down to the keepers. Chelsea took off Mendy for Kepa (I think?) Who was supposed better at penalty shootouts and then it ended up being decided by the keepers' kicks- which the Chelsea keeper missed. Maybe the last Carabao cup or FA Cup Liverpool were in
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5301 on: February 19, 2024, 12:51:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

How crazy was the one where it went all of the way down to the keepers. Chelsea took off Mendy for Kepa (I think?) Who was supposed better at penalty shootouts and then it ended up being decided by the keepers' kicks- which the Chelsea keeper missed. Maybe the last Carabao cup or FA Cup Liverpool were in

That’s the one I’m talking about.   I believe it was the Carabao cup.   The FA one went to PKs also against Chelsea.  I believe this was two years ago when Liverpool was so so close to the Quad but only got the two league trophies

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #5302 on: February 20, 2024, 02:56:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That’s the one I’m talking about.   I believe it was the Carabao cup.   The FA one went to PKs also against Chelsea.  I believe this was two years ago when Liverpool was so so close to the Quad but only got the two league trophies

I just rewatched it and you're right it, it was Kelleher! Crazy I thought it was Allison

I also love that Tsimikas got the winning penalty kick in the FA Cup that year too
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5303 on: February 20, 2024, 07:05:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I just rewatched it and you're right it, it was Kelleher! Crazy I thought it was Allison

I also love that Tsimikas got the winning penalty kick in the FA Cup that year too

I can’t remember if Allison was out injured or Klopp was just keeping him goal bc he had been keeper throughout the entire tournament

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #5304 on: February 21, 2024, 09:32:35 AM »

Síota

• SLAP Pal

nonickname

• Rep: 85
« Reply #5306 on: February 21, 2024, 05:32:36 PM »
TFC here in Canada just signed "Kevin Long" from Birmingham. When I said "hmmm Spanky seems a bit short to be a commanding center back" the silence was deafening. I need better friends.
"Cheating is just another way of being prepared" - Coach McGuirk

Binomial Nomenclature

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #5307 on: February 21, 2024, 10:36:42 PM »
Joins Shane O’Neill on defence.

Owen

• SLAP Pal
    • My Photos avatar image
« Reply #5308 on: February 25, 2024, 06:13:38 PM »
Woohoo!! Go Liverpool!!

That must be a bitter pill for Chelsea.

What are people's thoughts on Van Dijk's first goal being disallowed for offside?
Jorts
Anklets
Rat tails
Sling shots
Toe rings
Shuv it tail grabs
Jump ramps

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5309 on: February 25, 2024, 08:16:07 PM »
Woohoo!! Go Liverpool!!

That must be a bitter pill for Chelsea.

What are people's thoughts on Van Dijk's first goal being disallowed for offside?

I couldn’t believe how close we were to a third straight PK shoot out.

Im more annoyed at Caicedo injuring Gravenberch for nothing than the disallowed goal