Author Topic: How do you combat sore legs? (80s babies,injured and tired skaters step inside)  (Read 21942 times)

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
I've been doing heat pad on knees and ankles after skating lately.

toe_knee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Get bent
Do yoga and get a cats tail
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
I’m 33 and I’ve taken long periods of not skating or barely skating because of injuries, but I’m back now (again) and actually still learning new tricks.

My problem started when I broke a few bones and didn’t go to physical therapy afterwards. I had lingering pain but I figured I would get back on the board when it all cleared up.

WRONG! It won’t clear up on its own. Especially if you’re no longer a little kid. All the inactivity just gave me other problems, like a bad back.

I had insurance, so I was able to go see a physical therapist and they got me started on a gym routine, resistance band workouts, foam roller, etc. And also working out knots with a lacrosse ball.

If you can’t see a PT you should at least start watching YouTube videos, reading forums, etc. Follow physical therapists on Instagram, etc. Idk if anyone else has posted the link, but there’s a physical therapist who specializes in skateboarding on Instagram at https://instagram.com/dr.kylebrown?igshid=1mcu9pvvemff4

Basically I had to do all the hippie yoga shit I tried to avoid, PLUS all the jock workout shit I tried to avoid. But now I’m in way better shape and I am skating pretty decently, at least by my own low standards.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I’m 33 and I’ve taken long periods of not skating or barely skating because of injuries, but I’m back now (again) and actually still learning new tricks.

My problem started when I broke a few bones and didn’t go to physical therapy afterwards. I had lingering pain but I figured I would get back on the board when it all cleared up.

WRONG! It won’t clear up on its own. Especially if you’re no longer a little kid. All the inactivity just gave me other problems, like a bad back.

I had insurance, so I was able to go see a physical therapist and they got me started on a gym routine, resistance band workouts, foam roller, etc. And also working out knots with a lacrosse ball.

If you can’t see a PT you should at least start watching YouTube videos, reading forums, etc. Follow physical therapists on Instagram, etc. Idk if anyone else has posted the link, but there’s a physical therapist who specializes in skateboarding on Instagram at https://instagram.com/dr.kylebrown?igshid=1mcu9pvvemff4

Basically I had to do all the hippie yoga shit I tried to avoid, PLUS all the jock workout shit I tried to avoid. [/b]But now I’m in way better shape and I am skating pretty decently, at least by my own low standards.

the accuracy

Dudecahedron

• Rep: 2
I think it's a given that our bodies all carry different specific chronic issues based on our patterns of use, both on and off the board, genetics, etc. That being said, I feel as if I have made some recent progress on the journey of trying to unravel my own physiological shit and I'd like to share so that OP or any other ppl with similar problems might find useful information.

I'm 30 and have been skating intermittently since I was about ten, a few years on, a year or two not skating so much, life happens, you already know all the shit. I've been "on" since age 25 and hopefully until I die or am in a walker. Around this time started noticing some knee pain in my right leg (I skate regs), nothing too severe, just a tightness/discomfort when the joint was at a slight bend (maybe from like 150 to 120 degrees). For the most part I just dealt with it. I'd just use adrenaline and ibuprofen to keep moving and then just be really wrecked for the next day. There were times when it was worse and times when I wouldn't even notice it. I figured I had just done some minor ligament damage and that was that.

This past year I was noticing that the pain has been the same all this time. You'd think it would get worse by now because I skate as much as I can these days and certainly am not getting younger. I started looking more into biomechanics and anatomy. It turns out that a lot of chronic joint pain arises from the cycle of weakness->imbalances->overcompensation. It's a feedback loop that imprints itself in your mind-muscle connections and results in poor mechanics. A lot of the pain specific to the knee is actually related to the quadriceps, hamstring, and calve. You may be feeling it in your knee, but that because its's where the muscles terminate and anchor to the skeleton.

For instance, pain on either side of the knee might be from the insertion points of the quad, which is a huge and powerful muscle. If the other muscles in the system are not doing enough to absorb impacts, then those thin connection points are bearing the brunt and being overworked. Personally, I think not being very good at pushing/skating switch has contributed greatly to my asymmetry over time. Think about it, front leg is like this strong, stable tree trunk that can balance you for days. Back leg is underdeveloped except for the calve which is monstrous from pushing, popping and controlling the board through balanced grinds and manuals. It's no wonder we get jacked up. Obviously I can't just get good at switch overnight, so I have been doing exercises very deliberately so that the muscles in the whole system relearn how to harmoniously support my weight.

The things that have done the most for me are bodyweight pistol squats, bodyweight Bulgarian split-squats, and standard weighted deadlifts and squats with dumbbells.

For the pistol squat you are going to be balancing on one leg and then descending into a deep knee bend. What I do is focus on the range of motion where I experience the pain and then stay there working that one zone. I'll take one or both hands and feel the quadricep working and see if I can find any soft spots where the muscle fibers aren't switching on, then try to get them activated so that I am conscious of the muscles controlling my weight. This helps instantly and after 30 seconds the pain is significantly less. I'll take a few moments mid session when I'm starting to notice pain and work the kinks out, which seems to make me way less sore afterwards. Also, they are good in general for your balance and stability on one leg. Pay attention to your foot and where it's contacting the ground. Are you heel/toe heavy? Is your arch collapsing in? Falling arches put your knees out of alignment and can carry upwards to lower back problems after years.

Just look up bulgarian split squats on youtube. The key difference between these and normal squats is that you can target the hamstring. You also get a nice stretch from the rear leg if you bend deeply. You can add weight to these, but it's not necessary to see the benefits.

Deads and squats are standard compound lifts, meaning they use a lot of different muscles. There is also wealth of videos on youtube about proper form and stuff, because you can really fuck yourself if you go about it like an idiot. These give you more of a glute workout than the other exercises, and having a powerful ass is important for athletic activity. I ordered a set of dumbbells that go up to 50 lbs each because I hate the gym and am poor, I suggest you do the same. In addition to supporting the knees and hips, these can help you increase your vertical and give your more pop. Plus you can get buff if you want.

Last thing, I hate to break it to you but yoga is dope. You don't have to convert to a hinduism or buddhism to reap these benefits. Yogic stretching reduces soreness, prevents injuries, and encourages circulation and healing. I also think there is something to the meditative quality that will benefit your skating mentally, but that's just my opinion. You can look up "yoga for __ pain" if you want to cut the fat. In my case, sun salutations, forward folds, pigeon pose, child's pose, warrior poses (there's a bunch of these), lunges, and downward dogs are all fundamental yoga poses target the legs and low back. Seriously, look into it with an open mind.

Obviously eating, sleeping, and hydrating are all important. Hiking uneven terrain is something that helps, too. I take joint supplements as well, because why not? Hope this all helps, maybe I'll try to write something more dedicated later. The most important thing is actually doing the work. It takes time, but not very much to see perceptible improvement. Last week I had a hard 4 hour park session with zero knee pain the next day, ZERO. That's a first for me since I was in my early 20's and I hope it wasn't a fluke. I've been working at this stuff for a couple of years, but much more consistently since quarantine, which I think is what has made the difference. Additionally, I think the final puzzle piece was when I realized that I could be doing a given movement while not actually using the muscles correctly. The body finds a way to compensate around its own weakness in the moment and then it becomes a habit, which must be broken.

Sorry for the length here, but I think its warranted. Our bodies are worth it, so I hope this helps someone out there. Even if you have different problems than me, this methodology can help you address what's happening, or not happening.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 104

Basically I had to do all the hippie yoga shit I tried to avoid, PLUS all the jock workout shit I tried to avoid. But now I’m in way better shape and I am skating pretty decently, at least by my own low standards.

This is almost my story exactly except the physical therapy didn't help that much and then my insurance ran out and now I just work too much to really be able to do the work I need to to get my body right.

HombreezysShittyPasta

• Rep: -53
  • olive garden
Best thing is to eat well stretch before and after and take a hot bath postsesh. Helps a lot. Eating next to no junk food these days and my knee pains have been greatly reduced. Dont got time for things like physio or yoga

Gaywon Dong

• Rep: -6
Best thing is to eat well stretch before and after and take a hot bath postsesh. Helps a lot. Eating next to no junk food these days and my knee pains have been greatly reduced. Dont got time for things like physio or yoga

i cant skate at all if i stretch before i skate, legs dont feel as springy

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
While I understand that everyone's body and experience is different, it's all about learning how to stand on your feet correctly and taking care of your feet, especially if you've already been injured. Without proper balance and alignment at the base, everything else, up to your dome, is thrown out of alignment and the fascia begins to creep, setting and holding your musculature in ways that aren't so great in the long run. What I mean by standing correctly regards more than engaging you feet, it's about engaging the whole foot complex up to the pelvic region/hips.

I'm a dude that skated for 20 years, was hit by a car and really injured, had some fixie accidents, tore my R arch, fucked up the cervical spine and sustained other bodily trauma I can't recall right now. I had a noticeable limp/odd gait for the last 15 or so years due to how I stood (pronating the R foot) and distributed weight throughout the feet. This moved up my back, disguised as sciatica (but really had to do with the muscle that controls hip flexion, the psoas muscle, which is a massive muscle complex that starts at Thoraic 5, wraps around the hip and terminates at the base of the pelvic). think about it, if you're leaning or placing your weight predominantly on one side, muscles on that side will shorten while those on the opposite will lengthen.

In June I finished an 18 month advanced yoga training focused on restoring the body back to the place it was before injuries. Most of the stretches I focus on, aside from those working the feet, take place lying on the floor with blankets and blocks to support joints during long held poses, because when the muscles don't have to fight and try to hold themselves up, that parasympathetic nervous system can kick in, meaning the heart rate slows down (fight or flight stops) and a deeper internal muscular stretch can begin. Of course my body still gets sore, but at 35 and after not being able to skate, bike, or run for 7 or so years, I'm beginning to be able to do them all again. And that limp/off gait is gone along with the constant low back pain.

Any of you dudes want me to make a short video about taking care of the feet, lemme know and I'll get it going. It's made a world of difference for me and all the folks I've gotten to do it.
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

hnnng

• Rep: 0
Expand Quote
[close]

"Using static stretching after sports will help prevent injury. But using static stretching in a warm-up prior to an athletic competition may actually negatively impact your performance. This is because static stretching may limit your body’s ability to react quickly. This condition may last up to two hours in activities such as vertical jumps, short sprints, balance and reaction speeds."

taken from https://www.hss.edu/conditions_dynamic-static-stretching.asp

same for me, was curious, turns out that's actually because science

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

"Using static stretching after sports will help prevent injury. But using static stretching in a warm-up prior to an athletic competition may actually negatively impact your performance. This is because static stretching may limit your body’s ability to react quickly. This condition may last up to two hours in activities such as vertical jumps, short sprints, balance and reaction speeds."

taken from https://www.hss.edu/conditions_dynamic-static-stretching.asp

same for me, was curious, turns out that's actually because science

Good post. If I remember correctly, the original research on this was done on sprinters and a decrease in performance was found when doing static stretching before sprinting but there was an improvement from dynamic stretching. That makes sense from a skateboarding perspective too as skating is generally a more explosive activity (not as explosive as sprinting of course, but leaning more in that direction).

Anecdotally, I stopped doing static stretching and also Yoga before any activity requiring tension or explosive movement because I find that it made me significantly less active (I was too relaxed) and I got hurt a lot more. I think a certain amount of tension in activity specific ranges of motion help keep you safe from injury and maintain performance. Dynamic stretching and light warm up works better for an actual session.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
Im 41 and have a physically demanding job, in addition to skating. The only way my body can handle it is regularly lifting weights (squats, deadlift, and upper body pushing/pulling), getting enough rest and eating well.

This is the advice I got from my buddy who was an experienced Exercise science Professor and Coach and it has made a big difference for me as far as not getting injured and being strong and energetic enough to maintain this level of activity.

I do some static stretching at night to relax and if my joints start to get too beat up I do some strength based mobility work to help with that. The core of it is to get strong and prioritize resting properly though.

It’s jock shit, but it’s the shit jocks do when jocks want to be jocks for longer

HombreezysShittyPasta

• Rep: -53
  • olive garden
Idk i just stretch anyways because i dont want stiff ankles or legs before and its not like i work out. Its not extensive or anything like a quick 1 and 2

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
While I understand that everyone's body and experience is different, it's all about learning how to stand on your feet correctly and taking care of your feet, especially if you've already been injured. Without proper balance and alignment at the base, everything else, up to your dome, is thrown out of alignment and the fascia begins to creep, setting and holding your musculature in ways that aren't so great in the long run. What I mean by standing correctly regards more than engaging you feet, it's about engaging the whole foot complex up to the pelvic region/hips.

I'm a dude that skated for 20 years, was hit by a car and really injured, had some fixie accidents, tore my R arch, fucked up the cervical spine and sustained other bodily trauma I can't recall right now. I had a noticeable limp/odd gait for the last 15 or so years due to how I stood (pronating the R foot) and distributed weight throughout the feet. This moved up my back, disguised as sciatica (but really had to do with the muscle that controls hip flexion, the psoas muscle, which is a massive muscle complex that starts at Thoraic 5, wraps around the hip and terminates at the base of the pelvic). think about it, if you're leaning or placing your weight predominantly on one side, muscles on that side will shorten while those on the opposite will lengthen.

In June I finished an 18 month advanced yoga training focused on restoring the body back to the place it was before injuries. Most of the stretches I focus on, aside from those working the feet, take place lying on the floor with blankets and blocks to support joints during long held poses, because when the muscles don't have to fight and try to hold themselves up, that parasympathetic nervous system can kick in, meaning the heart rate slows down (fight or flight stops) and a deeper internal muscular stretch can begin. Of course my body still gets sore, but at 35 and after not being able to skate, bike, or run for 7 or so years, I'm beginning to be able to do them all again. And that limp/off gait is gone along with the constant low back pain.

Any of you dudes want me to make a short video about taking care of the feet, lemme know and I'll get it going. It's made a world of difference for me and all the folks I've gotten to do it.

I've been out virtually completely for more than two years with vaguely systemic knee, but especially lower back pain. Have been doing a bunch of stuff but so far been unable to get it under control. I'd greatly appreciate a video if you have the time.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
Don't know why so many people think looking after their bodies is 'jock' or 'hippy' shit. We all want to skate well, avoid injuries, and feel good on and off the board.

Frank and Fred

I didn't read this whole thread so these ideas, might already have been suggested:

-Cycling. I don't drive unless I have to. I swear this has been the best injury prevention and strength, endurance promoter.

-Upgraded insoles. (And not wearing my shoes until the soles are completely worn through)

-Shorter but more frequent sessions. I used to skate once a week or once every two week and have all day marathon sessions. I'd pay for it. Now I skate for an hour or two several times a week. It has been a game changer and I hurt way less.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
Drinking water a lot and essential oil massages when it's cold and wet.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

I've been out virtually completely for more than two years with vaguely systemic knee, but especially lower back pain. Have been doing a bunch of stuff but so far been unable to get it under control. I'd greatly appreciate a video if you have the time.

for sure, dude. it'll take me a little while to set down and get it done, but I enjoy making videos of this stuff. i'll probably make a few short videos with different stretches and means of execution. I'm not an expert on anything but I've been practicing and teaching yoga for 10+ years, having trained with some exceptional teachers who look outside the box of what most of us see yoga as. During the past couple years I've spent a decent amount of time doing 1:1 body scans, like looking at student/client bodies, how they stand, walk, etc and listening to what they say about their bodily experience to help them get set with an individualized plan. Some things, like working on strengthening the arches and working certain trigger points are good for people, but bodies aren't run of the mill, 1 size fits all, so I'll try to provide some options and general suggestions for common conditions.  Thanks for expressing what you need!

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
Turns out, alcohol is an inflammatory
listen to cosmic psychos

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 271
I think it's a given that our bodies all carry different specific chronic issues based on our patterns of use, both on and off the board, genetics, etc. That being said, I feel as if I have made some recent progress on the journey of trying to unravel my own physiological shit and I'd like to share so that OP or any other ppl with similar problems might find useful information.

I'm 30 and have been skating intermittently since I was about ten, a few years on, a year or two not skating so much, life happens, you already know all the shit. I've been "on" since age 25 and hopefully until I die or am in a walker. Around this time started noticing some knee pain in my right leg (I skate regs), nothing too severe, just a tightness/discomfort when the joint was at a slight bend (maybe from like 150 to 120 degrees). For the most part I just dealt with it. I'd just use adrenaline and ibuprofen to keep moving and then just be really wrecked for the next day. There were times when it was worse and times when I wouldn't even notice it. I figured I had just done some minor ligament damage and that was that.

This past year I was noticing that the pain has been the same all this time. You'd think it would get worse by now because I skate as much as I can these days and certainly am not getting younger. I started looking more into biomechanics and anatomy. It turns out that a lot of chronic joint pain arises from the cycle of weakness->imbalances->overcompensation. It's a feedback loop that imprints itself in your mind-muscle connections and results in poor mechanics. A lot of the pain specific to the knee is actually related to the quadriceps, hamstring, and calve. You may be feeling it in your knee, but that because its's where the muscles terminate and anchor to the skeleton.

For instance, pain on either side of the knee might be from the insertion points of the quad, which is a huge and powerful muscle. If the other muscles in the system are not doing enough to absorb impacts, then those thin connection points are bearing the brunt and being overworked. Personally, I think not being very good at pushing/skating switch has contributed greatly to my asymmetry over time. Think about it, front leg is like this strong, stable tree trunk that can balance you for days. Back leg is underdeveloped except for the calve which is monstrous from pushing, popping and controlling the board through balanced grinds and manuals. It's no wonder we get jacked up. Obviously I can't just get good at switch overnight, so I have been doing exercises very deliberately so that the muscles in the whole system relearn how to harmoniously support my weight.

The things that have done the most for me are bodyweight pistol squats, bodyweight Bulgarian split-squats, and standard weighted deadlifts and squats with dumbbells.

For the pistol squat you are going to be balancing on one leg and then descending into a deep knee bend. What I do is focus on the range of motion where I experience the pain and then stay there working that one zone. I'll take one or both hands and feel the quadricep working and see if I can find any soft spots where the muscle fibers aren't switching on, then try to get them activated so that I am conscious of the muscles controlling my weight. This helps instantly and after 30 seconds the pain is significantly less. I'll take a few moments mid session when I'm starting to notice pain and work the kinks out, which seems to make me way less sore afterwards. Also, they are good in general for your balance and stability on one leg. Pay attention to your foot and where it's contacting the ground. Are you heel/toe heavy? Is your arch collapsing in? Falling arches put your knees out of alignment and can carry upwards to lower back problems after years.

Just look up bulgarian split squats on youtube. The key difference between these and normal squats is that you can target the hamstring. You also get a nice stretch from the rear leg if you bend deeply. You can add weight to these, but it's not necessary to see the benefits.

Deads and squats are standard compound lifts, meaning they use a lot of different muscles. There is also wealth of videos on youtube about proper form and stuff, because you can really fuck yourself if you go about it like an idiot. These give you more of a glute workout than the other exercises, and having a powerful ass is important for athletic activity. I ordered a set of dumbbells that go up to 50 lbs each because I hate the gym and am poor, I suggest you do the same. In addition to supporting the knees and hips, these can help you increase your vertical and give your more pop. Plus you can get buff if you want.

Last thing, I hate to break it to you but yoga is dope. You don't have to convert to a hinduism or buddhism to reap these benefits. Yogic stretching reduces soreness, prevents injuries, and encourages circulation and healing. I also think there is something to the meditative quality that will benefit your skating mentally, but that's just my opinion. You can look up "yoga for __ pain" if you want to cut the fat. In my case, sun salutations, forward folds, pigeon pose, child's pose, warrior poses (there's a bunch of these), lunges, and downward dogs are all fundamental yoga poses target the legs and low back. Seriously, look into it with an open mind.

Obviously eating, sleeping, and hydrating are all important. Hiking uneven terrain is something that helps, too. I take joint supplements as well, because why not? Hope this all helps, maybe I'll try to write something more dedicated later. The most important thing is actually doing the work. It takes time, but not very much to see perceptible improvement. Last week I had a hard 4 hour park session with zero knee pain the next day, ZERO. That's a first for me since I was in my early 20's and I hope it wasn't a fluke. I've been working at this stuff for a couple of years, but much more consistently since quarantine, which I think is what has made the difference. Additionally, I think the final puzzle piece was when I realized that I could be doing a given movement while not actually using the muscles correctly. The body finds a way to compensate around its own weakness in the moment and then it becomes a habit, which must be broken.

Sorry for the length here, but I think its warranted. Our bodies are worth it, so I hope this helps someone out there. Even if you have different problems than me, this methodology can help you address what's happening, or not happening.

Gnarred
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 426
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

for sure, dude. it'll take me a little while to set down and get it done, but I enjoy making videos of this stuff. i'll probably make a few short videos with different stretches and means of execution. I'm not an expert on anything but I've been practicing and teaching yoga for 10+ years, having trained with some exceptional teachers who look outside the box of what most of us see yoga as. During the past couple years I've spent a decent amount of time doing 1:1 body scans, like looking at student/client bodies, how they stand, walk, etc and listening to what they say about their bodily experience to help them get set with an individualized plan. Some things, like working on strengthening the arches and working certain trigger points are good for people, but bodies aren't run of the mill, 1 size fits all, so I'll try to provide some options and general suggestions for common conditions.  Thanks for expressing what you need!

Awesome, this really meets my need for support in this frustrating situation. Much appreciated! Will check back here regularly.

DaleCooper

• Rep: 4

I would be greatly interested. I have an over pronation in my right foot as well (left isn't as bad, both flatfooted as hell though). It's caused issues going up to the knee (patellar tendinitis), sciatic, and back (scoliosis).

This summer after I went to the creek with some friends and was walking on rocks barefoot for a couple hours, I felt like a million bucks. My feet and entire legs had this sense of presence and control that was very new. I went skating and even just an ollie felt like the best thing in the entire world. I'd love to make that feeling happen more often.

At 30 I'm looking down the barrel of, "I'll do anything to get as much fun out of this body as I can."

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -196
https://www.goldskatesupply.com/product-page/padded-compression-sleeve-knee

15 a pair isn't bad. Oliver lucero rides for them and he's pretty good. I just have some copperfit ones without padding I wear but i grew up playing basketball like 6 hours a day since I was 16 so I've known the sweet relief of these things since I was young. even though skaters that don't know me probably kook me all the homies have just accepted I gotta wear em if I wanna skate this much at 30 and still be able to work on my feet all day and go hoop too.

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
@DaleCooper
@RoaryMcTwang

I'm stoked to put together a few clips for y'all. I'll send DMs to y'all specifically when I do. Thanks for sharing what your bodily conditions are. I can't promise anything miraculous, but I won't make you hurt more. There's a few things that, once they're known, most people can do to help restore their bodies to a more comfortable place.

@DaleCooper, those days of feeling awesome and void of pain are so great when they come. Walking barefoot can be really good! I don't have flat feet but I watched one my teachers, over the course of a year, help a girl with flat feet learn how to every so slightly engage the arch. That girl was very, very stoked. I'll try to show you some stuff. In my experience, as someone who doesn't have flat feet but whose R arch was blown out and subsequently threw the rest of my body out of alignment, paying attention to how I walk and what I wear for shoes makes an incredible difference. I'll stop for now.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
For muscles, for food, plenty of water and stretching  guess should be good. I feel better when I practise this, but unfortunately it's a state I step into in periods rather than practice on a regular.

For joints, fish oils man, fish oils! Good ones. I'm 33, and practically/physically don't function function with out.
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

Dudecahedron

• Rep: 2
@DaleCooper
@RoaryMcTwang

I'm stoked to put together a few clips for y'all. I'll send DMs to y'all specifically when I do. Thanks for sharing what your bodily conditions are. I can't promise anything miraculous, but I won't make you hurt more. There's a few things that, once they're known, most people can do to help restore their bodies to a more comfortable place.

@DaleCooper, those days of feeling awesome and void of pain are so great when they come. Walking barefoot can be really good! I don't have flat feet but I watched one my teachers, over the course of a year, help a girl with flat feet learn how to every so slightly engage the arch. That girl was very, very stoked. I'll try to show you some stuff. In my experience, as someone who doesn't have flat feet but whose R arch was blown out and subsequently threw the rest of my body out of alignment, paying attention to how I walk and what I wear for shoes makes an incredible difference. I'll stop for now.

Yeah I'm super interested in this too when you get around to it. Very flat footed congenitally and have worn orthotics for walking around since I was a kid. I think I've slowed or maybe even reversed some of the pronation by being very deliberate about how I stand and walk when barefoot, but I think I should do more focused foot-work.

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
My girl bought me a massage gun and it's so great after a sesh and the sore days that follow. I recommend getting one, don't cheap out though.

Panther Breath

- Stretch before skating
- Weighted squats, lunges, leg press, leg extension, etc. Resistance training and building muscle helps tremendously with injuries
- Immediately ice any areas after injury, don't just rest or ignore
- Stretch after skating
- Foam rollers for sore joints help a lot. 30-60 second pauses on affected areas. Legs, back, chest.

I currently work two jobs and both are manual labor. Construction and machining. I skate, ski, bike and moto. I'm 37 and my body feels even older. A lot of it comes down to mentally blocking out any painful areas, but the most important thing for me was getting back in the gym 3 years ago and targeting problematic joints. Last summer I broke my collarbone badly and thought I'd give up all my extracurricular hobbies, but it just took dedication and a desire to get back at it. I'm skating better now than in my teens.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 09:23:20 AM by Panther Breath »

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
I can recommend winter green (that‘s a plant) essential oils. You can use it pure on sore knees or dilute it with  carrier oil to rub it in or put it in the bath.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
My girl bought me a massage gun and it's so great after a sesh and the sore days that follow. I recommend getting one, don't cheap out though.
You can find a pretty good one at Costco for $79

https://www.costco.com/precision-power-vitalize-deep-tissue-percussion-muscle-massager.product.100715290.html

But the $159 Homedics one is a beauty that will probably last forever

https://www.costco.com/homedics-therapist-select-pro-percussion-massager.product.100701712.html