Author Topic: A World Without CEOs  (Read 85651 times)

fahque

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: A World Without CEOs
« Reply #150 on: February 15, 2007, 10:05:05 AM »
great idea. where do i donate?

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #151 on: February 15, 2007, 10:21:01 AM »
Grim, your call.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2007, 10:28:22 AM »
I'll donate if the Ad gives props out to the slap heads

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #153 on: February 15, 2007, 10:49:28 AM »
I'll donate if the Ad gives props out to the slap heads

Me deuce.

Mentos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #154 on: February 15, 2007, 10:53:10 AM »
But no one has made those 'Fuck the IASC' boards yet.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #155 on: February 15, 2007, 11:18:00 AM »
Damn, I don't know... I don't want to put anything money related on the site because I'm afraid that the wrong message will be sent... I mean, not everyone that looks at the site knows me as everyone here knows me (not that you all know me real well, but I think you all know I'm a human with a skateboard).

I honestly don't know if it even needs an ad... the site has been getting a hitload of hits...

Don't get me wrong, I'd be stoked if there was an ad, hell, I'd even design something print-ready, but I really don't want to ask for a dime on the site... I especially don't want to handle anyone's money. I'm a kook, I'd just feel really weird doing that.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #156 on: February 15, 2007, 11:22:20 AM »
PS
Jim Gray and ABC are on the site's lists... I just had a phone call with him, and as much as he got slammed in the Jim thread, he's taking a risk by being affiliated with the site. I'm not taking sides for or against anyone with a beef on him, but I'm glad he was willing to put his name out there.

/just sayin'

otis b driftwood

« Reply #157 on: February 15, 2007, 11:34:58 AM »
Damn, I don't know... I don't want to put anything money related on the site because I'm afraid that the wrong message will be sent... I mean, not everyone that looks at the site knows me as everyone here knows me (not that you all know me real well, but I think you all know I'm a human with a skateboard).

I honestly don't know if it even needs an ad... the site has been getting a hitload of hits...

Don't get me wrong, I'd be stoked if there was an ad, hell, I'd even design something print-ready, but I really don't want to ask for a dime on the site... I especially don't want to handle anyone's money. I'm a kook, I'd just feel really weird doing that.

an ad would be dumb.
the magazines are as much a part of this shit as everyone else, i doubt they'd take it, i mean they've agreed not to run pictures of people skating blanks right? but anyway putting money in their pocket would be stupid.

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #158 on: February 15, 2007, 12:05:28 PM »
Magazine's aren't dry with ads right now. One leaves and another will come.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #159 on: February 15, 2007, 01:13:55 PM »
much love for your work grimcity!

brooklyn brawler

« Reply #160 on: February 15, 2007, 01:17:41 PM »
I'm taking back my idea. Word of mouth/click probably gets the point across quicker and to the right people.

Screw the mag ad idea.

IASC BOARD MEMBER

« Reply #161 on: February 15, 2007, 02:04:02 PM »
big brother is watching!

Muhhhhhuaaaaaa!!!

thewire

• Rep: 0
« Reply #162 on: February 15, 2007, 02:38:54 PM »
yo grim I just sent you a message about this but I wanted to drop this knowledge into the board as well.....

pretty damn sure that syndrome dist. sells blank boards made in their mexican woodshop to shops across the country....

I wonder what mckay, way, and pj have to say about that fact.  Um, can someone say ignorant hypocrites?

Peter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2007, 02:43:39 PM »
how many hits so far grim?

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #164 on: February 15, 2007, 03:01:31 PM »
yo grim I just sent you a message about this but I wanted to drop this knowledge into the board as well.....

pretty damn sure that syndrome dist. sells blank boards made in their mexican woodshop to shops across the country....

I wonder what mckay, way, and pj have to say about that fact. Um, can someone say ignorant hypocrites?

i don't think that's any big secret though, syndrome called a friend of mine's shop last week asking to press their shop boards (for a higher price than he was already paying of course..)

Way & co. would probably respond that at least if you're buying a syndrome blank you're supporting a company that will "reinvest in skating" and "supports pros" etc. whether those pros include the likes of the INC roster is something the consumer has to decide for himself I suppose.....

photowill

« Reply #165 on: February 15, 2007, 03:13:00 PM »
Is it possible to make this bigger? Is it possible to spread this message so that every skater on the internet knows what's going on and that people that were once real skateboarders are now trying to control us? I don't think this website is enough, I don't think this ad is enough, we need some way to promote this so much that everyone knows. Fliers, stickers, stencils, anything..kind of like that "don't do it" type shit.

website is fucking fantastic though, I made sure to read everything, you said everything us skaters were thinking. Is there an official email that the IASC has so we can send this link to them? they've probably seen the site already but it'd be nice just to keep reminding them.

Guile

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #166 on: February 15, 2007, 03:17:50 PM »
i forwarded the two seperate sites to everyone i know, so they get both sides of the story but so they can see that we are about to get a 12 foot long ceo dildo jammed in our overpriced boardholes
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

89-90pistons

« Reply #167 on: February 15, 2007, 03:18:08 PM »
As lame as it sounds, start a myspace group.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #168 on: February 15, 2007, 03:32:07 PM »
Yesterday it was somewhere around 3,500... it's a little over 2k right now.

The emails are coming in by the hundreds... so far, no hate mail.

Also, I've been on the phone a bit... I've spoken with Jim Gray, who was a pleasure to talk to, Mic-E, who is rad, though he feels like I've come on a bit strong... and he brought up something similar to Sanch's idea about a positive part of the site. Maybe with everyone's help we can do a "solutions" part for the site... SANCH GETS FULL CREDIT, haha.

One really cool thing about my talk with Mic-E is that he understood that what the site represents is a general feeling among a LOT of us (as seen in the traffic of the site and the shiltoad of emails I've been getting). He wasn't pissed or anything... he was glad to see things from the other side. He was also completely understanding about my take on shop and regional decks... which leads me to one other point, the site isn't "pro blanks", it's anti hypocrisy from the big dogs. He respected that, and he was very understanding on that point. For the record, I never really had Deluxe in the scope of this because I thought Jim made good points (in his interview), and was straight up... I think Deluxe is fucking rad, especially Mic-E.

Last, Steve Douglas tried to contact me, but we've been playing email/phone tag. We're probably going to be talking Monday. So far, I don't think I'm getting sued. He wants to explain the suppliment. I'm coming at him from one angle... it ain't me who needs the explanation. I'm not the center of this, I'm just a relay. I think the industry heads have lost touch with skaters, or at least thinking skaters. I'll be sure to update everyone as this all unfolds.

What a day.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #169 on: February 15, 2007, 03:43:10 PM »
aint gonna find your body loaded down with chains in the bayou are they?

IASC BOARD MEMBER

« Reply #170 on: February 15, 2007, 03:49:40 PM »
aint gonna find your body loaded down with chains in the bayou are they?

ah, he'll get the horse head first.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2007, 03:51:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Maybe with everyone's help we can do a "solutions" part for the site... SANCH GETS FULL CREDIT, haha.

Making a web banner now-lol

kidding!

I'm getting nervous now. I don't even wanna think about the repercussions this can have on Magik.
Fuck it!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 03:53:02 PM by MAGIK INC GROUPIE »

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #172 on: February 15, 2007, 03:52:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Yesterday it was somewhere around 3,500... it's a little over 2k right now.

The emails are coming in by the hundreds... so far, no hate mail.

Also, I've been on the phone a bit... I've spoken with Jim Gray, who was a pleasure to talk to, Mic-E, who is rad, though he feels like I've come on a bit strong... and he brought up something similar to Sanch's idea about a positive part of the site. Maybe with everyone's help we can do a "solutions" part for the site... SANCH GETS FULL CREDIT, haha.

One really cool thing about my talk with Mic-E is that he understood that what the site represents is a general feeling among a LOT of us (as seen in the traffic of the site and the shiltoad of emails I've been getting). He wasn't pissed or anything... he was glad to see things from the other side. He was also completely understanding about my take on shop and regional decks... which leads me to one other point, the site isn't "pro blanks", it's anti hypocrisy from the big dogs. He respected that, and he was very understanding on that point. For the record, I never really had Deluxe in the scope of this because I thought Jim made good points (in his interview), and was straight up... I think Deluxe is fucking rad, especially Mic-E.

Last, Steve Douglas tried to contact me, but we've been playing email/phone tag. We're probably going to be talking Monday. So far, I don't think I'm getting sued. He wants to explain the suppliment. I'm coming at him from one angle... it ain't me who needs the explanation. I'm not the center of this, I'm just a relay. I think the industry heads have lost touch with skaters, or at least thinking skaters. I'll be sure to update everyone as this all unfolds.

What a day.

Mic-E's a cool guy.  Him and Jim are down for skateboarding which makes Deluxe such a good company to support.  Just don't get on Mic's bad side.  You don't have to worry about getting your teeth knocked the fuck out by any of those other ex-vert or ex-freestylers though.

photowill

« Reply #173 on: February 15, 2007, 03:53:51 PM »
who is steve douglas? fuck him.

Math Professor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 23
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2007, 03:57:11 PM »
who is steve douglas? fuck him.
Some ex-vert pro dude from England that owns some company.

Peter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 181
« Reply #175 on: February 15, 2007, 04:19:44 PM »
fuuck

even ignition added your link haha

http://www.ignitionsk8.com/News/NewsDetail.aspx?NewsID=859

did you ever think this would get so big - so quick?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 04:23:59 PM by dead last »

otis b driftwood

« Reply #176 on: February 15, 2007, 04:30:28 PM »

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #177 on: February 15, 2007, 04:33:28 PM »
^^^^ Why should it be?

You shouldn't tell anyone what to buy and what not to buy.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 04:35:14 PM by Stand and Deliver »

otis b driftwood

« Reply #178 on: February 15, 2007, 04:45:49 PM »
^^^^ Why should it be?

yeah, fair enough. i wasn't trying to get at grimcity but when i read that i took it to mean the site was anti blank rather than ambiva blank, being anti blank pro shop deck would play straight into these assholes hands.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #179 on: February 15, 2007, 04:52:36 PM »
^^^^ Why should it be?

That's it right there... I'm not making an attempt to push anything, I'm just making an attempt to push back. I don't have any stake in anything, but as a skateboarder, I refuse to be villified by the very industry I've spent 22 years buying shit from.

I just got back from skating at the park where I saw one of my boys, and he brought up a fucking great point... if the industry heads really want to attack someone, its the fucking distributors. That's who they need to blackball, at least in terms of blank decks. I'm sure that if some shops really wanted to get them they could go the ebay route, but it's my undertanding that most of the graphic-less boards are sold to shops via the distributors they have... in effect, it's the industry fighting itself.

I need to do some more research, but if I'm correct in that line of thought, then that may very well be one solution the fat cats can consider... stop fucking dealing with the distros!

I'm gonna check some emails and do a little learnin' on this.