Author Topic: A World Without CEOs  (Read 85638 times)

Stand and Deliver

Re: A World Without CEOs
« Reply #180 on: February 15, 2007, 04:58:25 PM »
Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned that there were two major Chinese blank brokers that were flooding the market with bullshit.  The industry needs to get those fuckers out of skateboarding.  I'm certain that shops that are above board and really give a fuck about skating will do their best to stay clear of them if they knew what they were lining the pockets of a toy manufacturer in China.

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #181 on: February 15, 2007, 06:34:44 PM »
For anyone still following this thing:
1. The Dwindle email document was updated twice since I uploaded it. They never countered to my statements regarding the sales of skate stuff through chain/mall stores.

2. The hits have been insane... thousands of people from allover the globe. I've been getting hundreds of emails, too... nearly every single one in support of the site. Funny thing though... many of the emails have been coming from shops and inner-industry people who are stoked, but they're afraid to have their name on the site for fear of retribution. How fucked is that?

3. I've answered every single email, except for the last one from Dwindle... mainly because the conversation was meandering.

4. I have some IASC campaign-related emails that were forwarded to me. I'll try to put those up when I get home from work tonight (damn, I gotta go to work).

grim, first off i want to say thanks for the product, it came yesterday and im phsyched! some of the people you have talked to probablly fear that they have something to loose by having there name listed on your site when in fact you really only have something to gain when you realize you have nothing to loose. if you want you can most definetly put my name on that list for sure. no matter what im backing your thoughts. jamie thomas has really phsyced me for being down with me when everyone else thought i was a flake and a burnout, i want more then anything to be able to give back to skateboarding and always have it be apart of my life and what your doing is great move forward. if anything us skateboarders need to get behind the idea of keeping money inside of our sport, wether it be through blank boards or pro models. the industry needs to band together and concentrate on the well being of the skateboard culture because without that we will have everyone picking different sides and thats not what skateboarding is about. we all have a common bond which is skateboarding and everyone needs to focus on not ruining that.

Guile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #182 on: February 15, 2007, 06:38:11 PM »
jayme, come up to canada tomorrow and meet me at the park. yes canada only has one park and yes we only have one road, so if you get lost ill be very angry.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

otis b driftwood

« Reply #183 on: February 15, 2007, 06:41:04 PM »
Earlier in the thread, someone mentioned that there were two major Chinese blank brokers that were flooding the market with bullshit.  The industry needs to get those fuckers out of skateboarding.  I'm certain that shops that are above board and really give a fuck about skating will do their best to stay clear of them if they knew what they were lining the pockets of a toy manufacturer in China.

if the boards are bullshit then nobody will buy them, right?

problem solved.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 06:53:45 PM by otis b driftwood »

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #184 on: February 15, 2007, 07:10:12 PM »
jayme, come up to canada tomorrow and meet me at the park. yes canada only has one park and yes we only have one road, so if you get lost ill be very angry.

haha! guile! that was rad. to bad im just another broke "ex-pro" but ill be up there soon or later. i try to make it up there a couple times a year.

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #185 on: February 15, 2007, 07:17:34 PM »
Otis-

I think the problem is that the bullshit boards aren't very noticeable until you ride them.  And if you're stuck with a purchase of 100-150 shite boards with your shops name screened on them, you're gonna be pissed.

otis b driftwood

« Reply #186 on: February 15, 2007, 07:26:27 PM »
Otis-

I think the problem is that the bullshit boards aren't very noticeable until you ride them.  And if you're stuck with a purchase of 100-150 shite boards with your shops name screened on them, you're gonna be pissed.

hmmm. you'd get a sample first though, that's standard practice isn't it. i wouldn't buy 150 of anything without trying it or doing some research.
anyway i didn't want to get into that but you said the industry needs to get these fuckers out, the industry needs to concentrate on making it's shit better and let the customer decide who's in or out.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #187 on: February 15, 2007, 07:29:46 PM »
Thanks, Jayme... you're on it!

Also, I can't take credit for the gear, that's my homie Kerry... I'll give him a shout!

sebastian toombs

« Reply #188 on: February 15, 2007, 07:55:14 PM »
haha! guile! that was rad. to bad im just another broke "ex-pro" but ill be up there soon or later. i try to make it up there a couple times a year.

place your orders from powells, everybody...

donnie_murdo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
  • All up in your photo !
« Reply #189 on: February 15, 2007, 08:14:37 PM »
Otis-

Funny you say that, the first time one of the shops here made boards, i'd snap one of the brital fucked up bits of shit a day, they started giving them to me so i woudl stop telling people not to pay for them for being so shit
...can't believe this thread brought Donnie Murdo out of the woodwork!

lurkstatus

« Reply #190 on: February 15, 2007, 08:32:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
how many hits so far grim?
[close]
Maybe with everyone's help we can do a "solutions" part for the site... SANCH GETS FULL CREDIT, haha.

[close]

I don't even wanna think about the repercussions this can have on Magik.
Fuck it!

This is the attitude by which all skate companies should be run.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #191 on: February 15, 2007, 08:46:21 PM »
Note that the only reason these industry people are contacting you is in order to water down the content of the site.
You're right. No worries though... I ain't taking shit off of it, and I'm not backing off of anything I've said. Of note: the place that the website is hosted is owned by a friend of mine who used to skate (he's not able to skate anymore, but he would if he could), so I doubt they can pressure him to do anything to it either.

I talked to Steve Douglas for a sec, we have a phone call scheduled for Monday... and just writing that makes me laugh... seriously, I'm fucking giggling like a person right now...

Picure this:  Steve Douglas, representing the largest goddamned skate company on the planet, feels the need to schedule a phone call with a fucking skoal dipping, loud mouthed skate dork down in south Louisiana because of a website that isn't even three days old. How absolutely ludicrous is this? I honestly can't stop laughing at the absurdity of this.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #192 on: February 15, 2007, 08:48:42 PM »
I just got word from one of the shops on my list that Steve called them, asking what they though of the "under fire" article.

photowill

« Reply #193 on: February 15, 2007, 08:52:50 PM »
good^. very good job. they're feeling the threat, they know we know and that the word will spread. they're worried this could fuck them up...and it will. I applaud you, this will go down in skate history.

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #194 on: February 15, 2007, 08:57:41 PM »
I just got word from one of the shops on my list that Steve called them, asking what they though of the "under fire" article.

tell em that the small companies like traffic are the real guys that are under fire.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #195 on: February 15, 2007, 08:59:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
how many hits so far grim?
[close]
Maybe with everyone's help we can do a "solutions" part for the site... SANCH GETS FULL CREDIT, haha.

[close]

I don't even wanna think about the repercussions this can have on Magik.
Fuck it!
[close]

This is the attitude by which all skate companies should be run.

Yeah but my marketing sucks!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 09:04:51 PM by MAGIK INC GROUPIE »

Guile

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #196 on: February 15, 2007, 09:04:16 PM »
youll be backed because of being on here and talking to everyone. we know youre a normal guy, we see you talk about real shit and your opinion runs along lines with most REAL skateboarders. put that raul dude on from spain and russ milligan from down the block and youve got a recipe for love.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

otis b driftwood

« Reply #197 on: February 15, 2007, 09:11:21 PM »

Yeah but my marketing sucks!

fuck a marketing.
all you need to do sell a ton of shirts is keep on being real on here and sort your fucking website out.

and ship worldwide.

and make everything in xxl.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #198 on: February 15, 2007, 09:11:45 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking of getting in contact w/ Marcel about that Russ dude. However, I don't want to burn any possible opportunities for him by putting him on and not being able to pay. Having Rob on the team is so nice and he's kind of going out on limb for me. Being able to put a check in Rob's bank every month is motivation for me to get shit done.

Had to erase that sorry ass shit I just wrote.hehehe It's from the heart but was kind of cheesy to be saying.

Heads be thinking that I'm skating again and am on here for advancement of my company but that's not really the case. I'll admit, I got the idea to skate again to help my company but in the process it started to get fun again, but I don't think I'll ever want back in as a pro. As far as me being on here, I'm just a net junkie. When I played baseball I was on the leagues baseball site 24/7 but mostly at school when bored.

truthbetold

• Rep: 3
« Reply #199 on: February 15, 2007, 09:25:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Note that the only reason these industry people are contacting you is in order to water down the content of the site.
[close]
You're right. No worries though... I ain't taking shit off of it, and I'm not backing off of anything I've said. Of note: the place that the website is hosted is owned by a friend of mine who used to skate (he's not able to skate anymore, but he would if he could), so I doubt they can pressure him to do anything to it either.

I talked to Steve Douglas for a sec, we have a phone call scheduled for Monday... and just writing that makes me laugh... seriously, I'm fucking giggling like a person right now...

Picure this:  Steve Douglas, representing the largest goddamned skate company on the planet, feels the need to schedule a phone call with a fucking skoal dipping, loud mouthed skate dork down in south Louisiana because of a website that isn't even three days old. How absolutely ludicrous is this? I honestly can't stop laughing at the absurdity of this.

To bad it wasn't from the moron himself Bod Boyle...It has to be the second moron in charge.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #200 on: February 15, 2007, 09:30:56 PM »
Who are the head honchos at Giant? Paul Shmidt?

I've heard of them ripping off Mad Circle and Popwar.

Guile

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #201 on: February 15, 2007, 09:31:45 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking of getting in contact w/ Marcel about that Russ dude. However, I don't want to burn any possible opportunities for him by putting him on and not being able to pay. Having Rob on the team is so nice and he's kind of going out on limb for me. Being able to put a check in Rob's bank every month is motivation for me to get shit done.

Had to erase that sorry ass shit I just wrote.hehehe It's from the heart but was kind of cheesy to be saying.

Heads be thinking that I'm skating again and am on here for advancement of my company but that's not really the case. I'll admit, I got the idea to skate again to help my company but in the process it started to get fun again, but I don't think I'll ever want back in as a pro. As far as me being on here, I'm just a net junkie. When I played baseball I was on the leagues baseball site 24/7 but mostly at school when bored.

that shit right there is why you will be backed by even the haters on here. rob welsh is also a good selling point because there isnt a person out there who does like welsh. biebel and welsh  are two people ive never heard a person say something bad about, even people who are against thier "hip hop image" (and i know it isnt an image thing with those guys but thats the only way of explaining it i could think of). even your local fallen addicted toy machine clone loves him some welsh.  and if you are looking to take our canadians go for travis or russ or something. mitch charron maybe. get a crazy international gangster movement going on in the bay area. get an army and we can storm the iasc ourselves.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

Gest

« Reply #202 on: February 15, 2007, 09:35:14 PM »
what do you guys think the actual slap magazine crew is thinking about all of this?

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #203 on: February 15, 2007, 09:38:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

that shit right there is why you will be backed by even the haters on here. rob welsh is also a good selling point because there isnt a person out there who does like welsh. biebel and welsh  are two people ive never heard a person say something bad about, even people who are against thier "hip hop image" (and i know it isnt an image thing with those guys but thats the only way of explaining it i could think of). even your local fallen addicted toy machine clone loves him some welsh.  and if you are looking to take our canadians go for travis or russ or something. mitch charron maybe. get a crazy international gangster movement going on in the bay area. get an army and we can storm the iasc ourselves.

Yeah, I need to bro out at a trade show or something. If I would have went to the last one I probably would have came back with some impressive riders. Adding to the team is kind of on hold till I get distribution cause I want to present them with a sense of security. I really think my past will help me eventually land a pretty crazy squad. Hopefully so I can get that other guy you mentioned ;)

I think the slap crew likes the fact that this iasc thing is unfolding on their site but I don't think it'd be wise for them to take a stance.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #204 on: February 15, 2007, 09:49:39 PM »
they got pd's/skull skates up  here....i'm sure most skaters up here just think it's some crusty dudes or whatever...but it's a sick business plan....they do their own boards..own shirts..own brand... that's pretty much it....you think they care about boards being made in china?  blanks?  they probably have no idea who the top 10 pros even are....

IASC BOARD MEMBER

« Reply #205 on: February 15, 2007, 10:03:43 PM »
We do not promote creative thinking!

IASC BOARD MEMBER

« Reply #206 on: February 15, 2007, 10:33:59 PM »

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #207 on: February 16, 2007, 01:21:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

To bad it wasn't from the moron himself Bod Boyle...It has to be the second moron in charge.

hugh bod boyle hugh bod boyle hugh bod boyle, dada!!!

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #208 on: February 16, 2007, 01:29:47 AM »
 neal, tell kerry thanks and i definetly owe him one!

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #209 on: February 16, 2007, 06:59:15 AM »
Will do, Jayme.

Update:
I got a bunch of emails from people that weren't able to view the site, so I made downloadable versions of it:

http://www.aworldwithoutceos.com/wholesite.jpg (3.07 megs)

http://www.aworldwithoutceos.com/wholesite.pdf (3.62 megs)