Author Topic: A World Without CEOs  (Read 85639 times)

Guile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 368
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: A World Without CEOs
« Reply #240 on: February 16, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »
i just set up another shop board.
               DGK
              SOME
              TIMES

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #241 on: February 16, 2007, 10:49:53 PM »
I think those iasc dudes are listening because they want to
hear the kids out.

Nah. They just want kid's cash.

I just don't understand there logic. Didn't they expect a backlash? And when it started coming, why not stop right then? They arn't budging at all, so I doubt they care what the kids think.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 10:51:26 PM by DrNewton »
One of my favorite lines is the one of spiked meth drnewton does off of lou pearlmans viarga and toddler-blood induced erection that finally puts that bitch 6 feet deep.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #242 on: February 16, 2007, 11:02:47 PM »
Well right now it's obvious that Neil's site has gotten them worried, as it should be. Any normal person
would most likely agree his take. Neil's obviously a smart guy and knows eyes are all over that site. Who
cares if they don't care about what solutions come up because someone will listen.

Here's my solution, though not really thought out...

The only thing you can do is compete with the blanks and shop decks. Use shitty China wood to lower the cost, just use better glues and processes. Use cheap printing. Problem solved! I think a lot of people don't realize that the glue and proccess is just as important if not more important than the wood. How's the board gonna break if the glue is balanced enough to make a stiff board yet have some  give so it won't snap? It wont! It won't chip as easy if the glue actually keeps a firm grip to the wood.

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #243 on: February 17, 2007, 12:43:35 AM »
Why come up with a solution for them to make bank off of? The nice calls and letters are to water down your content.

"Mic-E was nice so Deluxe is good.... Jim Gray was nice so Acme is good....etc."

Send the industry back to filming with Hi8s. Fuck them.
One of my favorite lines is the one of spiked meth drnewton does off of lou pearlmans viarga and toddler-blood induced erection that finally puts that bitch 6 feet deep.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #244 on: February 17, 2007, 03:07:08 AM »
what the hell is doing titus in your linklist? he's the symbol for $making skateboard industry. he's got over 30 shops in germany and is doing a fucking big mailorder/internet store.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2593
« Reply #245 on: February 17, 2007, 03:13:14 AM »
That sneaky bald bastard.
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud

otis b driftwood

« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2007, 03:15:15 AM »
what the hell is doing titus in your linklist? he's the symbol for $making skateboard industry. he's got over 30 shops in germany and is doing a fucking big mailorder/internet store.

that's a completely separate issue.
this is about companies trying to stop people buying blanks.
obviously titus wants to carry on selling them.

rs312

• Rep: -12
« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2007, 03:48:57 AM »
i consider this a blank. only now they are black. it only costs 39.99€

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #248 on: February 17, 2007, 05:42:59 AM »
The site has come to attention to even About:Skateboarding - http://skateboard.about.com/b/a/254557.htm

grim reaper

• Rep: 1
« Reply #249 on: February 17, 2007, 09:12:53 AM »
i think its time for a grim pro model!

JounA

« Reply #250 on: February 17, 2007, 10:44:21 AM »

Goodtimes

• Rep: 0
« Reply #251 on: February 17, 2007, 02:13:59 PM »
Do we not think that there is some CEO running the blank and shop board company, that probably never skated a day in his life.
At least the ones like Steve Douglas & Jamie Thomas come from skateboarding.
IASC, skate shops, distributors, woodshops, etc... should be asking what is best for skateboarding but I guess everyones to wrapped up in how to have their own business make the most money. If pros, CEO lose their jobs and skate shops, & the industry die off, I'll still be skating and getting my skate stuff on the "Black Market" ha-ha

otis b driftwood

« Reply #252 on: February 17, 2007, 02:19:50 PM »
Do we not think that there is some CEO running the blank and shop board company, that probably never skated a day in his life.
At least the ones like Steve Douglas & Jamie Thomas come from skateboarding.

the guys running the blanks companies aren't trying to tell people what to do though, they barely even promote their products.

and i'd bet money that neither steve douglas or bod can or ever could ollie up a curb.

Goodtimes

« Reply #253 on: February 17, 2007, 02:40:17 PM »
People try to tell me what to do all the time...I don't give a shit or let it bother me and just because somebody does not tell me what to do, I'm not giving them my blind support.

Ollie up a curb is your standard? I'll take blasting a backside air. Hell, Jamie Thomas can do both.

Whatever dude thats a pretty weak reason to side with some goons that as you say "barely promote" skateboarding/products.

I'm not taking sides but if someones trying to tell me what to buy, believe me not matter what they say, it will still be "my choice".

otis b driftwood

« Reply #254 on: February 17, 2007, 02:48:59 PM »
People try to tell me what to do all the time...I don't give a shit or let it bother me and just because somebody does not tell me what to do, I'm not giving them my blind support.

Ollie up a curb is your standard? I'll take blasting a backside air. Hell, Jamie Thomas can do both.

Whatever dude thats a pretty weak reason to side with some goons that as you say "barely promote" skateboarding/products.

I'm not taking sides but if someones trying to tell me what to buy, believe me not matter what they say, it will still be "my choice".

the blank guy is increasing choice. the iasc are trying to decrease it.

i not siding with anyone but if i had to and it was between someone that did promote skating to the general public and someone that didn't you'd best believe it 'd be the latter.

and as for the ollieing up a curb i'm just saying that douglas and bod's experience of skating really doesn't qualify them to make any kind of pronouncements about modern skating, jamie thomas fuckwad that he is is different obviously.

Goodtimes

« Reply #255 on: February 17, 2007, 02:58:12 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the blank guy is increasing choice. the iasc are trying to decrease it.

i not siding with anyone but if i had to and it was between someone that did promote skating to the general public and someone that didn't you'd best believe it 'd be the latter.

and as for the ollieing up a curb i'm just saying that douglas and bod's experience of skating really doesn't qualify them to make any kind of pronouncements about modern skating, jamie thomas fuckwad that he is is different obviously.

I would think that if blanks boards took over then we would for sure have less choices not more. Fewer real skate companys would mean a lot less to choose from.

Why would you take the latter?

I don't know what "pronouncements" means.

otis b driftwood

« Reply #256 on: February 17, 2007, 03:01:52 PM »

I don't know what "pronouncements" means.

saying stuff.

otis b driftwood

« Reply #257 on: February 17, 2007, 03:06:18 PM »
really, putting a picture on the bottom of a modern skateboard is a pretty fucking stupid idea.

and expecting the customer to pay extra for it is total insanity.

Goodtimes

« Reply #258 on: February 17, 2007, 03:07:03 PM »
I looked it up. syn for declaration, decree.

It looked to me like that there was a lot more people than them making the "pronouncement" in that thing.

Gest

« Reply #259 on: February 17, 2007, 03:08:07 PM »
i think every parent upon the view of their first deck

"you paid how much for it?!"

"the drawing on the bottom comes off anyways"

sometimes parents DO understand LOL

otis b driftwood

« Reply #260 on: February 17, 2007, 03:11:07 PM »

It looked to me like that there was a lot more people than them making the "pronouncement" in that thing.

i'm pretty sure those two were pretty key in getting the whole thing started.
douglas was one of the main instigators of the '94 agreement that basically ruined skateboarding forever.

Goodtimes

« Reply #261 on: February 17, 2007, 03:14:57 PM »
really, putting a picture on the bottom of a modern skateboard is a pretty fucking stupid idea.

They have been putting pictures on the bottom of skateboards since day one. Whose stupid idea was that?

I personally don't buy boards for the picture. That's sometimes a bonus. I've sprayed painted the bottom right off the bat becuase I did not like the graphic. I pay the extra to have a good shape, construction, and what woodshop I can find out made it.

getsintopplsbiznes

« Reply #262 on: February 17, 2007, 03:16:52 PM »
gay

Goodtimes

« Reply #263 on: February 17, 2007, 03:18:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i'm pretty sure those two were pretty key in getting the whole thing started.
douglas was one of the main instigators of the '94 agreement that basically ruined skateboarding forever.

You must know more than me.

I did not know that skateboarding was ever ruined. Why would you want to tell me that when I've been having so much fun all along.

getsintopplsbiznes

« Reply #264 on: February 17, 2007, 03:18:49 PM »

somebody call the funny police an internet skateboarder wants attention

Edward Penishands

« Reply #265 on: February 17, 2007, 03:20:14 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
somebody call the funny police an internet skateboarder wants attention

stfu newbie

jrock

« Reply #266 on: February 17, 2007, 03:20:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

They have been putting pictures on the bottom of skateboards since day one. Whose stupid idea was that?

I personally don't buy boards for the picture. That's sometimes a bonus. I've sprayed painted the bottom right off the bat becuase I did not like the graphic. I pay the extra to have a good shape, construction, and what woodshop I can find out made it.

i spray my boards a solid color almost every time.  i just like a clean solid color instead of a bunch of jumbled crap that looks like shit when it flakes off...i miss the days of the true silk screened board with the colored wood bottom layer...the graphics looked cool as they scratched off back then

Edward Penishands

« Reply #267 on: February 17, 2007, 03:21:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i spray my boards a solid color almost every time.  i just like a clean solid color instead of a bunch of jumbled crap that looks like shit when it flakes off...i miss the days of the true silk screened board with the colored wood bottom layer...the graphics looked cool as they scratched off back then

5boro can silk screen a deck like no other.  try one, you won't regret it.

jonny

• Mariano - Switch Backside Tail
« Reply #268 on: February 17, 2007, 04:16:39 PM »
GOOD JOB HEADACHE
What are you lookin' at? You're all a bunch of fuckin' assholes. You know why? You don't have the guts to be what you wanna be. You need people like me. You need people like me so you can point your fuckin' fingers, and say "that's the bad guy." So, what'll that make you? Good? You're not good.

otis b driftwood

« Reply #269 on: February 17, 2007, 04:39:46 PM »
headache said it all.