Author Topic: A World Without CEOs  (Read 85649 times)

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

Re: A World Without CEOs
« Reply #360 on: February 23, 2007, 12:52:54 PM »
sounds like some people aren't just content with being rich.

G_Feeble

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #361 on: February 24, 2007, 02:31:22 AM »
I just wanted to drop a note and say this for people that are still reading this...

Grim I hope that skaters and IASC's are still reading this thread.  Just because the directive from IA$C H.Q. is to keep quiet on all matters - in hopes that this might magically go away doesn't mean you, I or US as a group have to remain silent.

Keep gathering the info, public, private or otherwise and keep calling the BS where you see it.   

Anyone who see's fit can contact me to dish, bash, or whatever.  I'm humble, I can handle it.
"Cunnalingus and Communication led to the downfall of that relationship"

clarkie

• Rep: 23
    • Real Skate avatar image
« Reply #362 on: February 24, 2007, 09:12:47 AM »
Heidi Lemmon asked me to post this: (She's not following this board, but knows IASC only TOO well.)

Hi Clarkie,

The skateboard industry had something special. It was an entire industry that ran off skateboarding / skateboarders. IASC companies are the big corporate ones who opened the doors to manufacturing first their clothing and later their skateboards in China.

They have trained the Chinese to manufacture skateboards and related goods.The Chinese factories are manufacturing for everyone, all over the world. They specialize in private label but are also developing their own brands. They import Canadian Maple so when you see Canadian Maple on the advertisement it does not mean it was made in Canada or the USA. This has changed everything and now the IASC companies don't want you to buy blanks or private label. It has sort of backfired on them. The end result is that skateboarding is more affordable for most kids and will grow at a faster rate. At the same time many of the IASC companies are seeing their sales fall at record rates because they no longer control the market. They are going to have to compete in a global marketplace and they are not prepared. Most pros have never been paid well if they were paid at all. These companies made a fortune off their pros and it is time for them to find another way to pay them. They may have to dip into something other than board sales to pay them.. like their soft goods.

Skateboards may become the business card/ advertisement of the future. Little money will be made off them but they will be used to market a company and gain brand recognition for more profitable lines.

If IASC spent more time dealing with their issues and less time passing helmet / pad laws they would not be so surprised at what is happening in the market place.
Heidi Lemmon
SPAUSA
Thank you for contacting SPAUSA
Heidi Lemmon
executive director SPAUSA

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #363 on: February 24, 2007, 09:16:55 AM »
Heidi rocks. She did a lot to help us when I was working with a Baton Rouge based skatepark activist group.

Off topic: I think it's ironic that so many capitalists depend on communism to be successful capitalists.

clarkie

« Reply #364 on: February 24, 2007, 09:35:23 AM »
haahahh that's right, grim, and then if it backfires - you call your end product user communists!

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #365 on: February 24, 2007, 09:40:27 AM »
haahahh that's right, grim, and then if it backfires - you call your end product user communists!
Well then I'd be a plagiarist... haha

manual

« Reply #366 on: February 24, 2007, 10:11:50 AM »
Ive been following this its interesting. I own a fuck load of skate videos and if you look carefully you can kind of see whats going on in the industry its pretty funny sometimes.Same with skate mags aswell. Im just a average skater but ive always looked away from the limelight, the "whos hot" kinda thing and watched people like Trevor Prescott,Lucian Moon,"Static" kind of skaters, the "invisibles" basicly. I like to buy from and support smaller companys from very small to sort of semi small like Western Edition. And then now Magik and soon Turf. If they make good boards,a good minded owner that actually skates,the skaters on the team are respectable and each have there own mind and arent money hungry then im into it. I feel happy buying from them. Dwindle etc just feel like big scary corparations with these dudes in suits on the top floor of a sky scraper with a white board planning ways to get impressionable kids to buy boards and try desperatly to get every last bit of money out of skateboarding. Ive bought my fair share of pro models just a few blanks in between when I dont have much money but ive been buying smaller companies boards for the past 3 years.The dwindle ad was stupid because people buy blanks because they dont have as much money not because we because of one of the stupid reasons they put in there. I like all the people on here you know what your talking about and its good some of you are putting it into a action which is definetly going to change skateboarding for the better.It has to change it feels pretty bad right now.I just mean the industry, skateboarding will never change for me as long as i have my mind and my body and a skateboard.Sorry for the long post just wanted to have my say, now ill zip it.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #367 on: February 24, 2007, 11:10:58 AM »
Ok, this is a rumor... nothing but a rumor:  I got word passed to me from a pro (not involved with this at all) to a friend of mine that the phone call I had with Steve was recorded.

If it was in fact recorded, I'd really like to see it put up for public display (since I was involved in the conversation and wasn't notified that it might be on tape, it's the least I can ask).

If it wasn't, sorry for this post.

jrock

« Reply #368 on: February 24, 2007, 11:15:37 AM »
jesus, this thing is turning into the Pelican Brief...

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
  • tiger style
« Reply #369 on: February 24, 2007, 11:25:19 AM »
Ok, this is a rumor... nothing but a rumor:  I got word passed to me from a pro (not involved with this at all) to a friend of mine that the phone call I had with Steve was recorded.

If it was in fact recorded, I'd really like to see it put up for public display (since I was involved in the conversation and wasn't notified that it might be on tape, it's the least I can ask).

If it wasn't, sorry for this post.

If they recorded your voice without your permission then they have broke the law. I got a legal service that I use that's like insurance where you pay a monthly fee and then have lawyers availble as needed. I am aloud to ask any legal questions for free. If you want me to check into this for you just give me the word.

daboss

• Rep: -56
  • ollies r teh fun
    • olliemag avatar image
« Reply #370 on: February 25, 2007, 10:22:26 AM »
if they did in fact record you they are doing 1 of 2 things.

1. using your ideas to market to the kids.

2. trying to use it against you so they can sue you. 

1 is more plausible because they can't lawfully record you without your consent, thats why insurance companies and other businesses tell you that you "may be recorded for quality and training purposes".

I'd like to see how far this goes.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #371 on: February 25, 2007, 12:55:03 PM »
new watergate scandal?

sebastian toombs

« Reply #372 on: February 25, 2007, 01:11:03 PM »
of course it is just a rumor, but its still worth knowing that it is illegal to record a telephone call without the other party's consent...   in the USA i think it may be a federal offence, like mail fraud, because telephone lines cross state lines.

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #373 on: February 25, 2007, 01:15:05 PM »
A couple of washed up skateboarders recorded a phone call. Who the fuck cares.

Industry heads break the law everyday when they go out and scratch handrails or whatever. They arn't legit businesses.
One of my favorite lines is the one of spiked meth drnewton does off of lou pearlmans viarga and toddler-blood induced erection that finally puts that bitch 6 feet deep.

sfa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 176
« Reply #374 on: February 25, 2007, 01:23:15 PM »
id just like to say im proud of everyone for thinking about this shit and for a lot of you taking action.

good job.

skating will be safe, because there are people who give a fuck.
I need a coffee

clarkie

« Reply #375 on: February 25, 2007, 03:40:56 PM »
Law is law; same for everybody:

"California law does not allow tape recording of telephone calls unless all parties to the conversation consent (California Penal Code 632), or they are notified of the recording by a distinct "beep tone" warning (CPUC General Order 107-B(II)(A)(5)). However, tape recordings can legally be made if an individual or members of one's family are threatened with kidnapping, extortion, bribery or another felony involving violence. The person receiving the threats can make a tape recording without informing the other party. (California Penal Code 633.5)"

"California’s 1967 Invasion of Privacy Act, which established the two-consent requirement, provides treble damages or $5,000 per violation, whichever is greater."

I am going to take up a collection for Neal (whether he likes it or not) in hope he will use it to pay for professional legal advice on this matter and what may come up in the future. I will donate every penny to Neal, I swear. Earmark it "for Neal." I will send him a roster of all the contributors w/amounts.

http://realskate.com/paypal.htm

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #376 on: February 25, 2007, 06:48:23 PM »
Law is law; same for everybody:

"California law does not allow tape recording of telephone calls unless all parties to the conversation consent (California Penal Code 632), or they are notified of the recording by a distinct "beep tone" warning (CPUC General Order 107-B(II)(A)(5)). However, tape recordings can legally be made if an individual or members of one's family are threatened with kidnapping, extortion, bribery or another felony involving violence. The person receiving the threats can make a tape recording without informing the other party. (California Penal Code 633.5)"

"California’s 1967 Invasion of Privacy Act, which established the two-consent requirement, provides treble damages or $5,000 per violation, whichever is greater."

I am going to take up a collection for Neal (whether he likes it or not) in hope he will use it to pay for professional legal advice on this matter and what may come up in the future. I will donate every penny to Neal, I swear. Earmark it "for Neal." I will send him a roster of all the contributors w/amounts.

http://realskate.com/paypal.htm

Call the cops, pussy.

That's a ridiculous law, and all you have for evidence is the word of a nobody pro.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 06:50:00 PM by DrNewton »
One of my favorite lines is the one of spiked meth drnewton does off of lou pearlmans viarga and toddler-blood induced erection that finally puts that bitch 6 feet deep.

jrock

« Reply #377 on: February 25, 2007, 07:17:30 PM »
why is that a ridiculous law?  right to privacy is ridiculous?  im sorry, but thats the dumbest thing i've ever heard...

yeah, lets all give up our basic rights; don't want to be labeled a pussy!

somekid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -57
« Reply #378 on: February 25, 2007, 07:45:12 PM »
yeah, especially if you're getting called a pussy on the internet.

Mentos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
« Reply #379 on: February 25, 2007, 07:59:36 PM »
Well didn't George Bush pass the PATRIOT act which allows monitoring of phone and internet lines without permits? There is no such thing as privacy (at least in the US).

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #380 on: February 25, 2007, 08:03:38 PM »
Get the fuck out of here. $5,000 for recording a phone call with some webmaster from Louisiana? Pffft.

You stupid fucks think there taking that one phone call, recording it, and analyzing it to see what this guy, who represents maybe 1/60 of the skate population, thinks? No.

I read and Ocean Howell article where he talked about companies having spy cameras taking overhead pictures of kids skateboarding down the street and drinking soda. There probably sueing.

sebastian toombs

« Reply #381 on: February 25, 2007, 08:08:54 PM »
how sad to see the pointless diversion this thread has taken.

jrock

« Reply #382 on: February 25, 2007, 08:18:00 PM »
I read and Ocean Howell article where he talked about companies having spy cameras taking overhead pictures of kids skateboarding down the street and drinking soda. There probably sueing.

i dont think filming people in a public place is illegal, unless you were filming up someone's skirt or something.  I think Nike will be safe, so don't get your panties in a bunch...

and nobody is going to sue over a recorded phone call, but if it is true it just shows how shady these people can be and further proves grim's point...

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #383 on: February 25, 2007, 08:22:53 PM »
how sad to see the pointless diversion this thread has taken.

Shut up.

Popular advertising strategies will always be embarrassing: Remember the procession of rapping grandmas from the late 1980s? But what I've really objected to are the Orwellian market research tactics used to develop the campaigns. Focus groups are one thing ­ but much more invasive tactics are becoming standard practice. Hoping to pay down his student loans, a friend of mine left a job at a skateboard magazine to work at one of the major US clothing companies desperate to target skaters and other young hipsters. Its design rooms were filled with long-lens "sniper photos" of skateboarders walking down the street, riding their boards, sitting around drinking soda. This went a bit beyond the aggressive wooing of public figures by paparazzi. Ordinary skaters were now subject to menacing levels of surveillance.

http://www.webdelsol.com/Topic/articles/04/howell.html

It's legal, but THAT is shady as hell. Spying on little kids skating down the street? Damn.

Gest

« Reply #384 on: February 25, 2007, 08:24:11 PM »
neil

im coming down to louisiana soon.

G_Feeble

• Rep: -4
« Reply #385 on: February 26, 2007, 02:38:41 AM »
This thread has deviated from what Grim asked point-blank in the first place. 

Why is the IASC, Dwindle, Blitz and all other IASC members not addressing one of the main issues raised by this thread & website in the first place? BIG BOX STORES (BBS) being a category killer of skateboarding? 

I have read that IASC Under Fire articles so many times now, and the only one that makes any real sense is Joe Burlo, the owner of Blueprint. He said it best when referring to International distributors and the relationship with US skate companies. But the same can be applied in regards to US skate companies and Big Box Stores.

Just replace his use of the word, distributors, with BBS and it makes as much sense.

He stated “On the flipside companies with bigger names should choose their International distributors carefully and not take the short term view of “Give me the big order now and the distribution rights are yours”.  If the distributor shows little respect for skateboarding by heavily discounting brand new product within two weeks so they can place another big order, then look elsewhere.”

Maybe they address this issue that’s most true to skate shop owners hearts and stop shifting focus to Blanks, Shop decks and Small brands destroying their poor market share and profits.

“Cheers !” to Heidi … She hit it on the head.
"Cunnalingus and Communication led to the downfall of that relationship"

daboss

• Rep: -56
  • ollies r teh fun
    • olliemag avatar image
« Reply #386 on: February 26, 2007, 04:09:30 PM »

Industry heads break the law everyday when they go out and scratch handrails or whatever. They arn't legit businesses.

So you're saying that Black Box distribution isn't a legit business? The dude makes 10's of millions of dollars a year, get a clue.

DrNewton

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #387 on: February 26, 2007, 06:56:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So you're saying that Black Box distribution isn't a legit business? The dude makes 10's of millions of dollars a year, get a clue.

How about you get the fucking clue douchebag? Drug operations make tens of millions every year too. Are they legit?

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #388 on: February 26, 2007, 09:01:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

How about you get the fucking clue douchebag? Drug operations make tens of millions every year too. Are they legit?

it makes no sense at all.

CHIANG MAI

• Rep: 0
« Reply #389 on: February 27, 2007, 05:17:34 AM »
yeah, youre prety much a dumb dumb face.