Author Topic: A World Without CEOs  (Read 85642 times)

lurkstatus

Re: A World Without CEOs
« Reply #390 on: February 27, 2007, 08:31:28 AM »
here's a solution

the ad is from the supercentral mb

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #391 on: February 27, 2007, 11:54:04 AM »
nice, props to esstech on those

vita345

• Rep: 0
« Reply #392 on: February 27, 2007, 04:53:27 PM »
sold

daboss

• Rep: -56
  • ollies r teh fun
    • olliemag avatar image
« Reply #393 on: February 27, 2007, 04:54:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A couple of washed up skateboarders recorded a phone call. Who the fuck cares.

Industry heads break the law everyday when they go out and scratch handrails or whatever. They arn't legit businesses.
[close]

So you're saying that Black Box distribution isn't a legit business? The dude makes 10's of millions of dollars a year, get a clue.
[close]

How about you get the fucking clue douchebag? Drug operations make tens of millions every year too. Are they legit?

You are super smart. Jaime Thomas is legit because he pays taxes... haha... you must be a 30 year old industry kook from ASR that wears the "hawtest" new trends and biggest sunglasses and has a faux-hawk. Either way, youre a tard.

Meta Skateboards

« Reply #394 on: February 27, 2007, 10:45:44 PM »
The best part about this thread was how long it took to drop to this level.

I hope everyone realizes the impact that Neal had on the industry.

Props!!!!!!

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -21
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #395 on: March 03, 2007, 06:32:25 AM »
update?

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2219
  • computer says no
« Reply #396 on: March 03, 2007, 06:43:47 AM »
update?
Lots of emails still, and still a few phone calls but nothing really severe.

Every corpo that calls me is still under the impression that I own the skateshop that I rep all the time.
I played email tag with Todd Swank but we never got a phone conversation together... I know he disagrees with some of the things on the site (I don't know what yet) but he seems to appreciate the site for what it is. I keep hearing he's a good guy from a lot of different people, so I'm looking forward to talking to him.

Question: before Tum yeto, did Todd have anything to do with Limpies? I'd like to see those come back... they'd make great pajamas.

clarkie

• Rep: 23
    • Real Skate avatar image
« Reply #397 on: March 03, 2007, 08:44:52 AM »
Chip Morton invented limpies.

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #398 on: March 03, 2007, 11:42:56 AM »
Chip Morton invented limpies.
Ah, that's right... my memories are all jumbled up.

roulette

« Reply #399 on: March 03, 2007, 12:58:08 PM »
LIMPIES!

monster network

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #400 on: March 04, 2007, 02:21:05 AM »
swank had the limpies ad with that 'turd' sculpture that was down in san diego

otis b driftwood

« Reply #401 on: March 04, 2007, 12:24:33 PM »

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #402 on: March 05, 2007, 08:35:25 PM »
Todd and I never spoke on the phone, which is understandable... but tonight I recieved an email from someone who will remain anonymous. This appears to be an email going from Tum Yeto out to shops... the emphasis is mine:

Date: March 5th, 2007
www.tumyeto.com
[email protected]
RE: We Believe Discount Program
To Our Retail Partners,
Tum Yeto is committed to working with our retailers to offer exciting products and margins that make sense for us both. This allows us both to work together to support Professional skateboarding and the skateboarding culture we all appreciate and relish in. We believe in skateboarding and it's culture.
Following the publication of the IASC/TWS Business supplement on blank and shop board effects on the over all industry, there has been much speculation and understandably a good round of haters regarding matters brought forth. (I have been a long time supporter of IASC. Served as Chairman and have been on the Board of Directors for 3 years.) As I told my staff and the accounts I talked to, we all need to understand that this effort was done to bring dialog out in the open to discuss serious matters that effects all of our businesses and the skateboarding culture. It has been great because it has created dialog where there was little to none before. People can, will and should disagree. Everyone should have passion for what they believe and defend that passion. I honor all of you that have the balls to stand up for what you believe whether or not I disagree with it or not. This is our culture and our industry and we should not let that be undermined.
As the supplement indicated all of us need to do our part in order to fight off the insurgence and bond together for a strong and united industry. The manufacturer, the brands, the distributor, the retailer and media. I am honored to announce Tum Yeto's initiative to contribute our part in this campaign. In order to support core and larger quality retailers alike that support professional skateboarding by not selling blanks and one step further not selling shop decks Tum Yeto is offering a special discounts programs giving better margins to our retailing partners.
To qualify retailers must honor no blanks and/or no shop deck policy. They must be committed to grass roots activities. And they must represent a full range of our brands products.
We will continue to strive to make exciting new products like the Fiberlam (patent Pending and TM) Technology decks which straight out we included a $4 discount to benefit the retailer. As well as, do our part to create excitement and promote skateboarding throughout the world. Team tours, events, demos and video releases like the acclaimed Toy Machine "Suffer The Joy" DVD and anticipated Foundation "Cataclysmic Abyss" DVD.
Thanks everyone. Please contact your sales cooperative here at Tum Yeto to join us on this crusade for skateboarding superiority!
Keep On Rolling.

Tod Swank
Founder and CEO
Tum Yeto, Inc

Personally, I appreciate that it's an inticement rather than a strong arm tactic, but I'm not cool with the targeting of shop decks. I can't speak to any other scenes but mine, but around here, shop decks aren't usually sold because they're cheaper, they're sold because the locals here choose to represent the shop (when they aren't riding a pro/logo deck).

Anyway, nothing Earth-shattering, but it's an update all the same.

alexander32thegrea

• Rep: -17
« Reply #403 on: March 05, 2007, 09:05:37 PM »
you gotta stop being a bunch of fucking faggots and go out and ride your fucking skateboard around your city, town, a fucking dirt road!! fuckk the sad thing is half you little queers dont even skate and are on this shit 24/7. you will be dust soon enough so find what you enjoy and go do it. but stop talking about this pointless grabage bullshit

grimcity

• SLAP Pal
  • computer says no
« Reply #404 on: March 05, 2007, 09:21:23 PM »
I like it when people on a messageboard bitch about other people being active on a messageboard. I mean, if you had given me a phone call and said "hey, stop all of that messageboard faggery," I'd be like, "well, aside from the generous use of the word fag, maybe he has a point!"

But since you took the time to create a post (rather than go outside and practice crooked grinds), you're as faggotty as the rest of us.

lophatrophazoa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
  • breathmint please
« Reply #405 on: March 05, 2007, 09:40:44 PM »
just checked out the site cause i dont go into skate chat much, but its damn good
"Front row tickets to a bomb ass play"
Quote from: Matze
i moved to my city 1 year ago and i'm becomming a little hero here ... everybody thinks that i'm really cool, even the girls fight each other because of me. people are talking how a cool guy i am and stuff.

clarkie

• Rep: 23
    • Real Skate avatar image
« Reply #406 on: March 05, 2007, 10:27:35 PM »
hahah I was going to point out the same thing, grimcity. 

Well this sounds more like the "We Suck Discount Program." I'm sure shops are going to take him up on that ultimatum, throw away their shop decks and go out and buy all of Tumyeto products right away! Interesting, Tod says they did the 32 pager to encourage dialog, yet the dialog they got that wasn't in agreement with them he calls them haters? That's dialog, Tod.

G_Feeble

• Rep: -4
« Reply #407 on: March 06, 2007, 10:32:06 PM »
This is from another message board thats debating the Tod Swank comments as well ... I haven't heard it so perfectly stated ...

I like how he said that you also need to carry the full line of the products. I think Black Box (Zero, Fallen etc) also put out a similar call to arms.

So, if I understand it correctly, they will give you a deal if you agree to not sell shop/blank decks, but you also need to spend more by carrying their full line (or close I suppose).

So if you only carry Toy Machine and maybe pig wheels now, you will also need to carry every other brand they make, so this means sending them more of your money to get a discount and possibly sitting on product that may not move in your area.

Doesnt quite seem like they are really giving us much incentive. Thats a pretty normal price incentives for most companies it seems.

They can keep up all the jabber jawing about blanks and shop decks until the cows come home, but until I actually see the IASC throw their weight around with their members and quit selling to large sporting goods and large corporate stores drawing customers away from my shop and until I get a phone call from them asking when they can setup a demo for my shop, have the tour swing by our park and do some promos with my shop, its pretty much just talk.

I have said it many times before, I understand their whole movement and that they are getting worried, and I agree with part of what they are saying, but a lot of these guys are hypocrites by selling to large chain stores, sporting goods stores, etc and then whining to us how us shops dont support pro skateboarding.

Quit whining about us not supprting you when you turn around and not support us by selling to anyone with a check book. If you truly supported the core skateshops your product wouldnt be in Kohls or Dicks Sporting goods.

The moment I see Todd Swank call anyone that sells their boards at large chain retailers and sporting goods stores a bunch of money grubbing greedy bitches for selling their products at those stores thats the moment I call him up personally and buy two of every product he carries.

Until you truly support the core skateshop shut the fuck up. I am tired of it already. I would be selling more gear in my shop if I didnt have to compete with Dicks, Toys R Us, Kohls, Sears, etc.

http://www.toysrus.com/search/index.j...tId=&view=all

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/fam...d=779667&pg=1

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/fam...613&cp=701963

http://www.kohls.com/main/subcategory...UID=1173214934419

http://www.sportsauthority.com/catego...origkw=skateboard

Two things I am really getting tired of hearing about from these guys:

1) We dont need price point products. People will pay a premium price for premium products.

Really? Tell that to Hawk who pimps his products at Kohls for the exact very same reason you say we shouldnt sell our price point products for.

2) We want to support core skateshops but you core skateshops need to support us by buying more products from us and not sell blanks or shop decks.

Really? If you really support us, quit selling to non core skateshop like huge sporting goods chains and large chain retail stores.

"Cunnalingus and Communication led to the downfall of that relationship"

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #408 on: March 07, 2007, 12:02:04 AM »
^ This is a great post!

I will say though, I have noticed skateshops aren't supporting skate brands in clothes and shoes either. Shits be looking like boutiques and not skate shops. I was pretty shocked and not even sure what a "core" skate shop is anymore. It's like if it's not in a mall it's ok? Shu, when I walk into these shops I don't feel like these are shops that are down for skating, I feel like it's a shop down for money. It's clear as day and  NOT like what it used to be.
I'm not taking sides at all but there's 2 sides to this. Hopefully this thing gets resolved soon cause I personally don't want to compete with companies that have entirely NO BUSINESS marketing to skaters.  We all need to realize that the 2 need to meet an agreement that's in the best interest of skating, and as always KEEP THE LEECHES OUT!

« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 12:14:40 AM by MAGIK INC GROUPIE »

MrCokesNSmokes

• Rep: -3
« Reply #409 on: March 07, 2007, 12:43:01 AM »
^ This is a great post!

I will say though, I have noticed skateshops aren't supporting skate brands in clothes and shoes either. Shits be looking like boutiques and not skate shops. I was pretty shocked and not even sure what a "core" skate shop is anymore. It's like if it's not in a mall it's ok? Shu, when I walk into these shops I don't feel like these are shops that are down for skating, I feel like it's a shop down for money. It's clear as day and  NOT like what it used to be.
I'm not taking sides at all but there's 2 sides to this. Hopefully this thing gets resolved soon cause I personally don't want to compete with companies that have entirely NO BUSINESS marketing to skaters.  We all need to realize that the 2 need to meet an agreement that's in the best interest of skating, and as always KEEP THE LEECHES OUT!

Sanch, what should this "agreement" entail? Where's the middle ground that we're all supposed to arrive at on this......?

Just curious.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #410 on: March 07, 2007, 01:01:52 AM »
first off, keeping it skate only on both sides. Why I'm seeing Nike in shops as the only skate shoe is beyond me??? If that's not a sign of a problem I don't know what is. I'll give them some breathing room though. They have hired some people to help them "seem" down and have supported their riders really well. THAT DON'T MEAN TO SELL NIKE ONLY!!!! Seeing too many streetwear brands that aren't skate related at all and no Matix or 4star or other skate gear, and that don't have to include me. I can wait and go thru the shit. Seeing brands like element and world in malls. Anything in malls or dicks sporting supply or any chain stores for that matter. The problem with that is they buy in such bulk that they can sell cheaper than anyone else.

I feel like a warning was put out that this is the last year on earth and everybodies just scrambling around with dollar sign eyes trying to make the quickest buck. Seriously. I don't claim to know it all but there is 2 sides to everything and they both need to meet if they REALLY care about the future of skating and keeping it's integrity intact. CLEARLY A LOT OF WHAT I'M SEEING HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CARING FOR SKATING. IT'S ABOUT MONEY FOR THEMSELVES.

otis b driftwood

« Reply #411 on: March 07, 2007, 04:02:42 AM »
first off, keeping it skate only on both sides. Why I'm seeing Nike in shops as the only skate shoe is beyond me??? If that's not a sign of a problem I don't know what is. I'll give them some breathing room though. They have hired some people to help them "seem" down and have supported their riders really well. THAT DON'T MEAN TO SELL NIKE ONLY!!!!

10 or so years ago i would have been stoked if FTC or whereever started selling dope nikes that you could skate in, i bet you and a lot of your boys would've been too.

obviously selling just nikes is fucked, are shops really doing this?

skate shoe companies started this by getting greedy and trying to take nike on.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #412 on: March 07, 2007, 04:25:50 AM »
a problem may be that they can't possibly make enough shoes in a timely manner as Nike. Not sure but it makes sense.

"i bet you and a lot of your boys would've been too."

As a youth I didn't really care but now that I'm older and wiser I don't think real skate shoe companies should have to lose ANY of their market share to a company like Nike. Like Beanie said, "stick to basketball or something".

"obviously selling just nikes is fucked, are shops really doing this?"

Yes, I have seen this and pretty damn close to it on other occasions. I don't recall any skate brand trying to aquire Dwyane Wade.

"skate shoe companies started this by getting greedy and trying to take nike on."

Wtf is shoe company supposed to do just bow down and give them the key to skateboard city.

otis b driftwood

« Reply #413 on: March 07, 2007, 04:33:26 AM »

"skate shoe companies started this by getting greedy and trying to take nike on."

Wtf is shoe company supposed to do just bow down and give them the key to skateboard city.

nah, i meant when skate shoe companies started selling their shit in sport shops and marketing to non-skaters.

DC timberlands?

i've been trying to find that picture of half of EMB sat on a ledge and they're all wearing nikes, the message i got from that as a kid was "skate shoes are gay".

and they were.

and nowadays most of the ones that aren't are a nike bite.

spracker

« Reply #414 on: March 07, 2007, 07:34:10 AM »
I was pretty shocked and not even sure what a "core" skate shop is anymore.

Freedom skateshop in Ukiah California, dirty old plywood display cases, the place rules, I bought a board from them I didn't need yet just because they were a good old fashioned skateshop.

the message i got from that as a kid was "skate shoes are gay".

Anyone else remember the Puma craze that swept EMB in the early 90's? IMO the attitude was "skate shoes are gay".

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #415 on: March 07, 2007, 08:56:32 AM »
talking about nike here is quite off topic, but they way you guys dish skate shoes is sad. nuff said.

jennysue

« Reply #416 on: March 07, 2007, 10:01:25 AM »
Fuck you Todd Swank. Your dumb ass has been all over the phones trying to get Big shops to do their shop decks through TUM YETO. I mean you just bought a WoodShop, you got to keep it up and running some how. Days if not hours after a big IASC meeting about SHOP DECKS AND BLANKS you were sending emails to BIG shops begging for their shop deck business. Swank, I sure hope you don't have a hard time sleeping at night. Well of course you won't.
YOU FUCKING HYPOCRITE

Todd and I never spoke on the phone, which is understandable... but tonight I recieved an email from someone who will remain anonymous. This appears to be an email going from Tum Yeto out to shops... the emphasis is mine:

Expand Quote
Date: March 5th, 2007
www.tumyeto.com
[email protected]
RE: We Believe Discount Program
To Our Retail Partners,
Tum Yeto is committed to working with our retailers to offer exciting products and margins that make sense for us both. This allows us both to work together to support Professional skateboarding and the skateboarding culture we all appreciate and relish in. We believe in skateboarding and it's culture.
Following the publication of the IASC/TWS Business supplement on blank and shop board effects on the over all industry, there has been much speculation and understandably a good round of haters regarding matters brought forth. (I have been a long time supporter of IASC. Served as Chairman and have been on the Board of Directors for 3 years.) As I told my staff and the accounts I talked to, we all need to understand that this effort was done to bring dialog out in the open to discuss serious matters that effects all of our businesses and the skateboarding culture. It has been great because it has created dialog where there was little to none before. People can, will and should disagree. Everyone should have passion for what they believe and defend that passion. I honor all of you that have the balls to stand up for what you believe whether or not I disagree with it or not. This is our culture and our industry and we should not let that be undermined.
As the supplement indicated all of us need to do our part in order to fight off the insurgence and bond together for a strong and united industry. The manufacturer, the brands, the distributor, the retailer and media. I am honored to announce Tum Yeto's initiative to contribute our part in this campaign. In order to support core and larger quality retailers alike that support professional skateboarding by not selling blanks and one step further not selling shop decks Tum Yeto is offering a special discounts programs giving better margins to our retailing partners.
To qualify retailers must honor no blanks and/or no shop deck policy. They must be committed to grass roots activities. And they must represent a full range of our brands products.
We will continue to strive to make exciting new products like the Fiberlam (patent Pending and TM) Technology decks which straight out we included a $4 discount to benefit the retailer. As well as, do our part to create excitement and promote skateboarding throughout the world. Team tours, events, demos and video releases like the acclaimed Toy Machine "Suffer The Joy" DVD and anticipated Foundation "Cataclysmic Abyss" DVD.
Thanks everyone. Please contact your sales cooperative here at Tum Yeto to join us on this crusade for skateboarding superiority!
Keep On Rolling.

Tod Swank
Founder and CEO
Tum Yeto, Inc
[close]

Personally, I appreciate that it's an inticement rather than a strong arm tactic, but I'm not cool with the targeting of shop decks. I can't speak to any other scenes but mine, but around here, shop decks aren't usually sold because they're cheaper, they're sold because the locals here choose to represent the shop (when they aren't riding a pro/logo deck).

Anyway, nothing Earth-shattering, but it's an update all the same.

Stand and Deliver

« Reply #417 on: March 07, 2007, 10:58:29 AM »
I was in my local shop (510) last night picking up some stuff and when I asked if they got their copies of the new Foundation video the kid behind the counter told me that they went ahead and stocked up on Tumyeto product hoping that kids would get stoked on the video translating into kids buying Foundation / Toy stuff.  Unfortunately, the videos never came in with the hard goods order.  So, now they're in a cart before the horse situation.

P-Sk8

« Reply #418 on: March 07, 2007, 11:52:45 AM »
In europe the core shops are dying.

Skate shoe sales are tanking, The US skate brands are all sold in chain shops.

The street fashion trend is taking over. So the crossover effect (non skaters buying skate shoes is kinda over).

There are like 60 skate shoe companies, yet it seems that Nike is the ruler.

Here the mail order companies are core, they support the sport, arraange summer camps, events, its a good scene.

Skating is underground yet more popular than ever. All the local rippers have their own companies.

Nobody is making any money, yet nobody fucking cares..

It is doubtful that the USA brands will ever win back the market. nobody cares.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #419 on: March 07, 2007, 12:44:17 PM »
talking about nike here is quite off topic, but they way you guys dish skate shoes is sad. nuff said.

How is that off topic?

Btw, I think I was like 16 when I wore my last pair of pumas. If yall hold that against us you're regular.
We were kids that didn't know better.

My point in this entirely is that we need to keep the outsiders out. If you've been listening it's shops bitching about mall stores, which are outsiders. It's companies out of nowhere selling blanks, undercutting respectable skate companies. Again, outsiders invading.  The two need eachother and if there is not some type of order or brotherhood than people will continue to try to make that fast buck. If there is some type of group, maybe even the iasc (yes I said that) that will work in unison under strict guidelines than certain individuals will be held accountable for their actions. And when I say iasc I'm also thinking reps from major distributions and shops. As long as both sides are equally represented than it could potentially be fair.