Author Topic: A World Without CEOs  (Read 85656 times)

KoRnholio8

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1466
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: A World Without CEOs
« Reply #420 on: March 07, 2007, 12:53:58 PM »
by offtopic i meant that this is about boards not shoes... skateboarding shoes companies are not going to get into the kind of "trouble" that deck brands got themselves into, because they keep on inovating (the next shoe can't be exactly the same as the previous)...

as for nike...i would never wear them, but there is so much good feedback for them it's ridicilous... to each his own i guess, but at least think of the efforts of sole tech's lab comparing to a relative small effort by nike that worked...

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #421 on: March 07, 2007, 01:03:57 PM »
Nike isn't needed though. I will agree to the fact that what the pros wear have a direct effect on what kids buy, and should be addressed. Shu, I give out tees and if I spot a mofo wearing some other street wear type shirt, he's cut. No if, ands, but about it. I brought up shoes and clothes because it's all heading in that direction, and yeah I agree that shoe companies will and should be ok. The clothes thing directly effects me. These street brands get into distributions that I SHOULD BE IN and are in all or most shops. It's a full on spit in my face that I have to compete with this shit and can't be in certain stores cause of this. I fucking paid major dues. Those companies pay for fake thugs to pose in their shit. Straight bullshit!

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #422 on: March 07, 2007, 01:28:46 PM »
i agree with that, but the clothing market is the toughest one to survive in for sure... keep on keeping on!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 256
  • tiger style
« Reply #423 on: March 07, 2007, 02:03:52 PM »
In europe the core shops are dying.

Skate shoe sales are tanking, The US skate brands are all sold in chain shops.

The street fashion trend is taking over. So the crossover effect (non skaters buying skate shoes is kinda over).

There are like 60 skate shoe companies, yet it seems that Nike is the ruler.

Here the mail order companies are core, they support the sport, arraange summer camps, events, its a good scene.

Skating is underground yet more popular than ever. All the local rippers have their own companies.

Nobody is making any money, yet nobody fucking cares..

It is doubtful that the USA brands will ever win back the market. nobody cares.

heard it before but you left out he part about no haters

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #424 on: March 07, 2007, 02:10:24 PM »
especially haters with no demerit.

MrCokesNSmokes

• Rep: -3
« Reply #425 on: March 08, 2007, 12:35:52 AM »
Expand Quote
talking about nike here is quite off topic, but they way you guys dish skate shoes is sad. nuff said.
[close]

How is that off topic?

Btw, I think I was like 16 when I wore my last pair of pumas. If yall hold that against us you're regular.
We were kids that didn't know better.

My point in this entirely is that we need to keep the outsiders out. If you've been listening it's shops bitching about mall stores, which are outsiders. It's companies out of nowhere selling blanks, undercutting respectable skate companies. Again, outsiders invading.  The two need eachother and if there is not some type of order or brotherhood than people will continue to try to make that fast buck. If there is some type of group, maybe even the iasc (yes I said that) that will work in unison under strict guidelines than certain individuals will be held accountable for their actions. And when I say iasc I'm also thinking reps from major distributions and shops. As long as both sides are equally represented than it could potentially be fair.

I tend to agree with this- and, that does seem to be the concensus. That, the "outside" investors (Kohls, Target, Dick's Sporting Goods.... maybe Nike.... etc, etc) need to be shown the door. We need to get back, at some point, to skaters supporting skaters.

However, I have a question. Insofar as IASC is concerned.... are these guys even skaters, anymore? Swank, Boyle, etc? I haven't seen anything in years that would indicate that they skate. Not that they don't; I just don't know.

The point is: If they don't, should/could we consider IASC another form of "outsider"? Or, does a guy that "used to skate, but is too busy running a business to stay involved in the sport" count as a "skater"?

Ideally, we'd be buying skateboards, made by skaters, from shops and distributors that are run by skaters.

I don't know about you guys, but that would be a pretty comfortable situation for me to get on board with. I'd support a fellow skater over a non-skater, any day.

monster network

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #426 on: March 08, 2007, 12:44:24 AM »
its a grey area, some pople can't skate simply because they were injured. i mean, if someone puts in 20 years but can't skate now for whatever reason i'd still put them down as a skater. its a mindset and that will be ingrained if you've skated for some time. but then again, if you were a skater for all that time even if you are fucked up you would think you would still want a roll about now and then. if cardiel can roll around, there isn't really any excuse for anyone else. i don't know. either way, what is of immediate concern is the the removal of people who have never skated a day in their lives.

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #427 on: March 08, 2007, 12:48:44 AM »
its a grey area, some pople can't skate simply because they were injured. i mean, if someone puts in 20 years but can't skate now for whatever reason i'd still put them down as a skater. its a mindset and that will be ingrained if you've skated for some time. but then again, if you were a skater for all that time even if you are fucked up you would think you would still want a roll about now and then. if cardiel can roll around, there isn't really any excuse for anyone else. i don't know. either way, what is of immediate concern is the the removal of people who have never skated a day in their lives.

it sucks that some companys that send me boards treat me like some charity case, its hard for me to grasp when im in my prime but cant break back in, ohwell, i still feel very lucky to be doing this at 30 and having plenty of great times doing it.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #428 on: March 08, 2007, 12:52:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
talking about nike here is quite off topic, but they way you guys dish skate shoes is sad. nuff said.
[close]

How is that off topic?

Btw, I think I was like 16 when I wore my last pair of pumas. If yall hold that against us you're regular.
We were kids that didn't know better.

My point in this entirely is that we need to keep the outsiders out. If you've been listening it's shops bitching about mall stores, which are outsiders. It's companies out of nowhere selling blanks, undercutting respectable skate companies. Again, outsiders invading.  The two need eachother and if there is not some type of order or brotherhood than people will continue to try to make that fast buck. If there is some type of group, maybe even the iasc (yes I said that) that will work in unison under strict guidelines than certain individuals will be held accountable for their actions. And when I say iasc I'm also thinking reps from major distributions and shops. As long as both sides are equally represented than it could potentially be fair.
[close]

I tend to agree with this- and, that does seem to be the concensus. That, the "outside" investors (Kohls, Target, Dick's Sporting Goods.... maybe Nike.... etc, etc) need to be shown the door. We need to get back, at some point, to skaters supporting skaters.

However, I have a question. Insofar as IASC is concerned.... are these guys even skaters, anymore? Swank, Boyle, etc? I haven't seen anything in years that would indicate that they skate. Not that they don't; I just don't know.

The point is: If they don't, should/could we consider IASC another form of "outsider"? Or, does a guy that "used to skate, but is too busy running a business to stay involved in the sport" count as a "skater"?

Ideally, we'd be buying skateboards, made by skaters, from shops and distributors that are run by skaters.

I don't know about you guys, but that would be a pretty comfortable situation for me to get on board with. I'd support a fellow skater over a non-skater, any day.

I have given my time and sacrificed a whole lot to pursue a dream. If you don't believe that than think about a 31 year old man going to school for auto body. Need I say more? So no, I can't say these guys don't deserve to be where they are at.

Mainly what I mean by outsiders is the people who frowned upon skating for years but have barged in during the boom like it's the gold rush or something. Mostly corpo giants that are owned by investors and shit like that.
Malls, dicks, copelands, etc. When all the facts are out on the table it's pretty embarassing on both sides.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 01:00:08 AM by MAGIK INC GROUPIE »

monster network

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #429 on: March 08, 2007, 12:56:14 AM »
eh? i was talking about company and shop owners. i'm confused

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #430 on: March 08, 2007, 12:56:27 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

it sucks that some companys that send me boards treat me like some charity case, its hard for me to grasp when im in my prime but cant break back in, ohwell, i still feel very lucky to be doing this at 30 and having plenty of great times doing it.

yeah, when I send you that box give me a reciept. Charity is a write off you know-lol
j/k

You stomp some heads tonight in skate?

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #431 on: March 08, 2007, 01:08:12 AM »
eh? i was talking about company and shop owners. i'm confused

sorry monster i didnt mean to qoute youre post, i was just ranting?

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #432 on: March 08, 2007, 01:11:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

yeah, when I send you that box give me a reciept. Charity is a write off you know-lol
j/k

You stomp some heads tonight in skate?

i didnt enter but i had a good time skating the park, then my board popped up and hit me in the face, then i skated some more and had a dam good time again, haha!

the comp was pretty rad! i got there a little to late to enter but it was all good!

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • SkateMagArchive
« Reply #433 on: March 16, 2007, 01:51:54 PM »

buggle

• Rep: 0
« Reply #434 on: March 16, 2007, 01:56:47 PM »

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #435 on: March 16, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »
Damn, they really have been listening to our suggestions.

First it was make the customer feel guilty and now it's customer first. They're catching on!!!!

As unorganized as Magik may be, EVEN I KNEW THAT!!!!!!!

Bravo!

I said it once and I'll say it again... flex additives in glue, thinner layers on top to reduce huge chips, and a thicker ply maybe bamboo in the middle. Experimenting with different ways to have better adhesion will make such a huge difference. Wood itself is a good substrate to adhere to but it could be better. Maybe a glue that etches the wood and bites into it. This doesn't require a fancy engineer, it's common sense. We all know we need flex with long lasting snap and form. A good engineer could do this in a matter of weeks. I've worked as an assistant to one for a defense company.

Reed

« Reply #436 on: March 16, 2007, 02:22:19 PM »
All Of this Is pretty stupid.

biggums mcgee

« Reply #437 on: March 16, 2007, 02:24:39 PM »
whoaa

guess who's back

back again

Reed

« Reply #438 on: March 16, 2007, 02:26:15 PM »
I Was actually mungogerry before. But Im snowed In today so I figured Ide surprise A few people.

biggums mcgee

« Reply #439 on: March 16, 2007, 02:28:17 PM »
so reed, what do you know about encore?

Reed

« Reply #440 on: March 16, 2007, 02:31:11 PM »
It's Just a local company. There's nothing special about It. Some of the designs are Alright but I have feeling It will go under soon.
The Team Is Monte Mercado, Scott Vancil, Jeremy Jordan, Dustin Younie.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #441 on: March 16, 2007, 02:32:49 PM »
You got my support!

Reed

« Reply #442 on: March 16, 2007, 02:42:47 PM »
Did I meet You at a demo awhile ago? Short Redhaired type guy?.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #443 on: March 16, 2007, 02:44:46 PM »
Not sure. Short with brown hair.

Baby face fine ass motherfucker would best describe me-kidding!

Reed

« Reply #444 on: March 16, 2007, 02:46:52 PM »
I was Talking to biggums Man. I Know what you look like.

MAGIK INC GROUPIE

« Reply #445 on: March 16, 2007, 02:47:30 PM »
doh! My bad.

biggums mcgee

« Reply #446 on: March 16, 2007, 03:00:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Did I meet You at a demo awhile ago? Short Redhaired type guy?.

yeah was it that satori demo that came in 2005? that was a pretty funny deal, seeing someone from the internet then seeing that horrible demo. matt pailes doesn't deserve a board based on his street skills..I remember seeing that guy trying kickflip back 50's and backlips and not landing one the whole time. I did the fan-out thing to him for a joke, I was telling him how his footage in 'on the road' inspired me to do what I'm doing, he found that pretty funny

Reed

« Reply #447 on: March 16, 2007, 03:04:26 PM »
Yeah, He's pretty garbage. We never get good demos anymore.

biggums mcgee

« Reply #448 on: March 16, 2007, 03:04:58 PM »
It's Just a local company. There's nothing special about It. Some of the designs are Alright but I have feeling It will go under soon.

have you seen any boards floating around? and you said something about being in the burg, you know anything about skyline?

Reed

« Reply #449 on: March 16, 2007, 03:09:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

have you seen any boards floating around? and you said something about being in the burg, you know anything about skyline?
Haha That was a joke. I was Just trying to hide my Identity.
Ive Never seen any Of the boards anywhere. It's really Kindof a lame company. Support the Shelter, Not that stuff.