Author Topic: Josh Kalis - Bobshirt Interview  (Read 7395 times)

Bubblegum Tate

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

marty mcfly

Re: Josh Kalis - Bobshirt Interview
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 01:13:32 AM »
Yes!!!!

Ghost Face

• Rep: 108
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 01:31:14 AM »
Damn, I hate transworlds video player. I want to download this to watch offline on my bus ride home later.

Edit: managed to watch this on works dime. Enjoyed this.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 06:38:19 AM by Ghost Face »
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

CINCINNATI

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 116
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 06:15:29 AM »
legit. fred or tim o next please

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 06:59:08 AM »
If they're staying on the theme of old workshop/habitat dudes then a Tim o Connor episode would be pretty cool to see. An AVE or Dill episode would be amazing as well.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 07:01:43 AM »
If they're staying on the theme of old workshop/habitat dudes then a Tim o Connor episode would be pretty cool to see. An AVE or Dill episode would be amazing as well.

Dill is best in small chunks. Trust me you don't want an hour of him talking about himself.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 07:36:14 AM »
And now that I watch it and see all the old footage, is Kalis an underappreciated fs flipper? The ones they show are mostly on flat or street gaps, but those are way nice looking to never really get mentioned over his career.

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 07:54:06 AM »
Made my morning! Thanks for posting Tate
All you got is today, get out and skate.

dk

• Rep: 23
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 08:00:27 AM »

so much respect for this guy right here

thebacker

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 08:05:46 AM »
slap shoutout near the end

also after seeing this im even more hyped i got him to sign his varial heel photo in the dc video booklet
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 08:13:58 AM by DaveFuck »

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 260
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 08:31:02 AM »
fight the football team in fuck pants

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 09:50:16 AM »
So fuckin good!
Gentleman ninja warlock

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 519
    • shop lurker avatar image
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 09:57:29 AM »
Sick. Digging the time and effort that went into this.

Never knew about the Habiwhack thing in regards to Dyrdek's shop. As a 16-year-old skater when that video came out, my crew was stoked on Photosynthesis from start to finish. The more you know...

That shit about skaters going silent when someone lands a trick cracked me up. Growing up in NC we were loud. Once I moved to SF I noticed a more silent approach to sessions simply because you were skating house spots and didn't want to attract too much attention to what you were doing. Then again the sound of skating is already an announcement.

First thing this morning I put on my reissued Kalis kicks and realized how much I liked em. It's funny because I've gotten responses from: "Oh shit, how long have you been holding onto those!" to "Are those skate shoes?"

What shoe company put a shop out of business? The only thing I've seen is when Nike sent MIA to collections ( http://www.skateboardstory.com/interviews/ed-selego/ )

Thanks Bobshirt and Josh for this. Hella nostalgia

thebacker

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 10:02:12 AM »

Never knew about the Habiwhack thing in regards to Dyrdek's shop. As a 16-year-old skater when that video came out, my crew was stoked on Photosynthesis from start to finish. The more you know...

That shit about skaters going silent when someone lands a trick cracked me up. Growing up in NC we were loud. Once I moved to SF I noticed a more silent approach to sessions simply because you were skating house spots and didn't want to attract too much attention to what you were doing. Then again the sound of skating is already an announcement.

First thing this morning I put on my reissued Kalis kicks and realized how much I liked em. It's funny because I've gotten responses from: "Oh shit, how long have you been holding onto those!" to "Are those skate shoes?"

What shoe company put a shop out of business? The only thing I've seen is when Nike sent MIA to collections ( http://www.skateboardstory.com/interviews/ed-selego/ )

it's more nike and addidas send shops WAY too much product that doesnt sell and then the shop are stuck with deadstock that they usually have to put on sale or just sit on. It's incredibly annoying for the shop and is why we see such limited shoe walls in shops now.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 02:15:02 PM »
slap shoutout near the end

I still gnar DGKalis every time I see him post.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 03:12:22 PM by Grind King Rims »

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 02:40:35 PM »
What an amazing career. Definition of a professional. I got chills when they played the Black Rob section.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 02:42:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
it's more nike and addidas send shops WAY too much product that doesnt sell and then the shop are stuck with deadstock that they usually have to put on sale or just sit on. It's incredibly annoying for the shop and is why we see such limited shoe walls in shops now.

I don't know, man.  I think there's a certain responsibility for shop owners to not over extend themselves.  A lot of comes from the fact that a lot of shops went WAY overboard with the whole dunk thing back in the day, and even though it made them money, they got used to it and started to rely on that shoe income.  And then they would just re-invest that money back into MORE Nikes!!!  Shit, I owned a shop in CO and when Nike tried to get in, we said no.  And guess what?  That shop is still there about 17 years later.  

Also, a lot of shop owners are skateboarders and while that's great as far as knowledge goes and the reputation of the shop, it doesn't always translate in to the best business sense.  

"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

thebacker

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 03:32:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I don't know, man.  I think there's a certain responsibility for shop owners to not over extend themselves.  A lot of comes from the fact that a lot of shops went WAY overboard with the whole dunk thing back in the day, and even though it made them money, they got used to it and started to rely on that shoe income.  And then they would just re-invest that money back into MORE Nikes!!!  Shit, I owned a shop in CO and when Nike tried to get in, we said no.  And guess what?  That shop is still there about 17 years later.  

Also, a lot of shop owners are skateboarders and while that's great as far as knowledge goes and the reputation of the shop, it doesn't always translate in to the best business sense.  

true that makes total sense

asakusa75

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 05:54:08 PM »
What a way to start the day. I'm going skating.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 10:21:31 PM »
Made my morning! Thanks for posting Tate

No problem!  8)
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
  • tiger style
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 03:53:37 AM »
so good. thought it would just be a rehash of epicly later'd but wow, way to keep it fresh. i like that they give all the old product as they talk through the career.

Mcfctid

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2017, 04:14:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
true that makes total sense

Wasn't it nike or adidas that recently made the minimums for theirv orders an obscene amount? 

Always Love Bobshirt interviews. I think this one is the longest though. Crazy to think Kalis has had such a long career, and is still going strong , and is still hyped on skateboarding. Mad respect

colt cannon lunchbox

• Rep: -92
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2017, 05:23:05 AM »
is the kid at 42:42 Jonah Hill? I remember reading or hearing about how he was in the back of a Kalis photo once and it looks and sounds a lot like him

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2017, 05:31:43 AM »
is the kid at 42:42 Jonah Hill? I remember reading or hearing about how he was in the back of a Kalis photo once and it looks and sounds a lot like him

Yes. Jonah repped LOVE like none other

Also embarcadero
Gentleman ninja warlock

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2017, 05:32:04 AM »
Bobshirt always kills it.

HungUp

• Rep: 40
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2017, 08:54:31 AM »
Because the TWS player is garbage

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2017, 10:56:33 AM »
Like Minded

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 118
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2017, 11:14:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Some of the reason shops got screwed by the dunk thing is sales reps, each rep had a certain amount of shoes to move a season, but every account that had Nike mainly wanted dunks, what a lot the reps were doing was letting their homies shops order mostly dunks and then forcing the other shops to eat all that other stock if they wanted dunks. So if you were shop that had no connections you would be getting stuck with every terrible shoe Nike made just to get those dunks you could sell for $120 a pair.  I know shops that we're getting 3 runs of bullshit when other shops didn't have to carry the angus or URL, one of the shops here in Louisiana was selling all that other shit for $5 over their cost just to move it. Which also bizarrely worked well for Nike cuz now every young kid was wearing some bs Nike shoe cuz their mom recognized the name and didn't want pay $75 for a core shoe brand. I also think Nike was putting shops on something crazy like net 120 where most shoe companies start at net 30 and make you earn net 60, so these shops that were struggling were able to keep pushing the Nike payments back in hopes to get a really great Dunk that they could catch up on, but the reality is they would just get deeper and deeper the where Nike kinda own their shop. This also how PS stix in a weird way owned a lot of skate companies in the mid to late 90s, also how Giant dish acquired Black Label even though both sides claimed it was only a distribution deal and never ownership

Grind King Rims

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2017, 04:10:59 PM »

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2017, 09:50:08 AM »
finally watched. so solid.