Author Topic: Josh Kalis - Bobshirt Interview  (Read 7396 times)

Little Debbie

Re: Josh Kalis - Bobshirt Interview
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2017, 11:39:47 AM »
hmm Alien did some shady shit back then

it's cool that he and Panebianco seem so close. He seems like such an integral character in the Philly scene

Robert Baratheon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2017, 12:03:34 PM »
And now that I watch it and see all the old footage, is Kalis an underappreciated fs flipper? The ones they show are mostly on flat or street gaps, but those are way nice looking to never really get mentioned over his career.

Thought the same about the f/s flip in the line toward the end.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Sick. Digging the time and effort that went into this.

Never knew about the Habiwhack thing in regards to Dyrdek's shop. As a 16-year-old skater when that video came out, my crew was stoked on Photosynthesis from start to finish. The more you know...

That shit about skaters going silent when someone lands a trick cracked me up. Growing up in NC we were loud. Once I moved to SF I noticed a more silent approach to sessions simply because you were skating house spots and didn't want to attract too much attention to what you were doing. Then again the sound of skating is already an announcement.

First thing this morning I put on my reissued Kalis kicks and realized how much I liked em. It's funny because I've gotten responses from: "Oh shit, how long have you been holding onto those!" to "Are those skate shoes?"

What shoe company put a shop out of business? The only thing I've seen is when Nike sent MIA to collections ( http://www.skateboardstory.com/interviews/ed-selego/ )

Thanks Bobshirt and Josh for this. Hella nostalgia
[close]
it's more nike and addidas send shops WAY too much product that doesnt sell and then the shop are stuck with deadstock that they usually have to put on sale or just sit on. It's incredibly annoying for the shop and is why we see such limited shoe walls in shops now.
[close]

I don't know, man.  I think there's a certain responsibility for shop owners to not over extend themselves.  A lot of comes from the fact that a lot of shops went WAY overboard with the whole dunk thing back in the day, and even though it made them money, they got used to it and started to rely on that shoe income.  And then they would just re-invest that money back into MORE Nikes!!!  Shit, I owned a shop in CO and when Nike tried to get in, we said no.  And guess what?  That shop is still there about 17 years later.  

Also, a lot of shop owners are skateboarders and while that's great as far as knowledge goes and the reputation of the shop, it doesn't always translate in to the best business sense.  

SteveDave works for Nike until he proves otherwise.

MOUNTAIN

• Rep: 211
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2017, 02:39:19 PM »

so much respect for this guy right here

We used to skate on a sculpture by Henry Moore. Good times.

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 223
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2017, 04:38:29 PM »
For real

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1173
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2017, 06:32:26 PM »
Expand Quote
And now that I watch it and see all the old footage, is Kalis an underappreciated fs flipper? The ones they show are mostly on flat or street gaps, but those are way nice looking to never really get mentioned over his career.
[close]

Thought the same about the f/s flip in the line toward the end.

one of my favorite flips at 1:17

hardly art, hardly starving

redux

• Rep: -5
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2017, 07:59:15 PM »
Alien Wack-shop. Amiright?