Author Topic: Outer Banks  (Read 1624 times)

Esmith5488

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
Outer Banks
« on: July 12, 2017, 06:14:53 PM »
hey guys, anyone from the banks?  going to the OBX for a week for vacation, i see theres some parks but can anyone help me out with actual street spots. staying in southern shores/nags head area.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Outer Banks
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 01:54:09 PM »
i live out by cripple mill, i know there's that diy down by the spanish junction. or that new park that just finished earlier this year near the space track
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 12:46:02 PM »
Bumping this thread.  We’re going to be down in the Outer Banks on vacation in a couple weeks.  I Googled some parks down there and it seems like there are a couple concrete ones further down on the island.  Anyone ever skate one of these? Best? Worst?

Also, anyone familiar with any curbs or street spots down there?  Plan to do some exploring.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 02:31:15 PM by big_kev_215 »

MichaelJacksonsGhost

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Rep: 44
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 05:18:42 AM »
Kitty Hawk skatepark is the best park in the obx, IMO.

Aviation skatepark is one you can miss. All weird transition with little kids doing Canadian fly outs.

The YMCA in Nags head is almost all dilapidated skate light, but has a pretty crazy concrete bowl that is pretty okay to ride (a couple cracks but easy to avoid)

Rodanthe skatepark (maybe 45 minutes from Nags Head) is a newer concrete park that is pretty fun. Buxton (another 45 minutes past rodanthe, has a small transition heavy park, but I don’t think it’s maintained very well and is pretty sticky.

Manteo park is pegged as a “street plaza,” but its really just two concrete quarters facing each other with some ledges and a set of stairs in between. Manteo is awesome to bike around though, so if you’re going into manteo I’d bring a board, but wouldn’t go into manteo just to skate the park there.

As for street, it’s pretty much a bust. There’s a small ledge/manny pad thing behind the TJ maxx in Kill Devil Hills that’s sort of fun. There are these rubber playground roller things at Dowdy Park right across from the YMCA in Nags head, but might be a problem  if little kids are playing there. Manteo has some gaps and things, and they just recently remodeled the community college there, so there are tons of unwxed ledges and things like that, but most likely would be a quick kick out if not a ticket. There’s a fun gap with a slight downhill landing at the automotive store across the street from the manteo park, right next to the piggly wiggly. I’ve skated it during there business hours and never had an issue.

There is this weird kicker over a sidewalk gap that’s behind Slice Pizzeria in KDH (actually really close to that aviation park.) I think the building is serves some governmental function, so I only skate it on the weekends, but have never had an issue there.

There used to be some boxes and things set up on the old go cart track that’s along the bypass as you head towards Buxton, but I think all of that’s been torn out and the track was being policed pretty heavily. Might have cooled off by now, as this was a number of years ago. Some fun stuff to check out if you’re bold enough to face potential policing.

I’ve never heard of a curb spot (though there are some parking blocks set up at the manteo skatepark.) if you find one let me know!

Something to check out: the wanchese bowl. Huge skatelight vert bowl out in the marsh. Super heavy to skate but really just an oddity to see. I’m sure if you googled it or asked about it at the skateshop you could get directions there.

Moms Sweet Shop is probably the best skateshop around.

Man, five years ago we had about ten good backyard ramps going, but they’ve all been sold or trashed or whatever. My heart still aches for the Mother Vineyard minivert.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 05:29:48 AM by MichaelJacksonsGhost »

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 01:34:04 PM »
Kitty Hawk skatepark is the best park in the obx, IMO.

Aviation skatepark is one you can miss. All weird transition with little kids doing Canadian fly outs.

The YMCA in Nags head is almost all dilapidated skate light, but has a pretty crazy concrete bowl that is pretty okay to ride (a couple cracks but easy to avoid)

Rodanthe skatepark (maybe 45 minutes from Nags Head) is a newer concrete park that is pretty fun. Buxton (another 45 minutes past rodanthe, has a small transition heavy park, but I don’t think it’s maintained very well and is pretty sticky.

Manteo park is pegged as a “street plaza,” but its really just two concrete quarters facing each other with some ledges and a set of stairs in between. Manteo is awesome to bike around though, so if you’re going into manteo I’d bring a board, but wouldn’t go into manteo just to skate the park there.

As for street, it’s pretty much a bust. There’s a small ledge/manny pad thing behind the TJ maxx in Kill Devil Hills that’s sort of fun. There are these rubber playground roller things at Dowdy Park right across from the YMCA in Nags head, but might be a problem  if little kids are playing there. Manteo has some gaps and things, and they just recently remodeled the community college there, so there are tons of unwxed ledges and things like that, but most likely would be a quick kick out if not a ticket. There’s a fun gap with a slight downhill landing at the automotive store across the street from the manteo park, right next to the piggly wiggly. I’ve skated it during there business hours and never had an issue.

There is this weird kicker over a sidewalk gap that’s behind Slice Pizzeria in KDH (actually really close to that aviation park.) I think the building is serves some governmental function, so I only skate it on the weekends, but have never had an issue there.

There used to be some boxes and things set up on the old go cart track that’s along the bypass as you head towards Buxton, but I think all of that’s been torn out and the track was being policed pretty heavily. Might have cooled off by now, as this was a number of years ago. Some fun stuff to check out if you’re bold enough to face potential policing.

I’ve never heard of a curb spot (though there are some parking blocks set up at the manteo skatepark.) if you find one let me know!

Something to check out: the wanchese bowl. Huge skatelight vert bowl out in the marsh. Super heavy to skate but really just an oddity to see. I’m sure if you googled it or asked about it at the skateshop you could get directions there.

Moms Sweet Shop is probably the best skateshop around.

Man, five years ago we had about ten good backyard ramps going, but they’ve all been sold or trashed or whatever. My heart still aches for the Mother Vineyard minivert.

Thanks for the detailed info!  Perfect timing too - we just got down here today.  I’m definitely going to check out Kitty Hawk skatepark and the ledge/manual pad you mentioned behind TJ Maxx.  We’re staying up in Corolla.  Doesn’t seem like many street spots up here haha but I saw the shopping center with Dairy Queen has yellow curbs everywhere.  Might check those out one night too after some of the stores close. 

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 04:34:38 AM »
this is insane. I was just going to make a topic. Im going to the outer banks 13-20th of aug and needed guidance

big_kev_215

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2022, 06:48:42 AM »

Enjoyed Kitty Hawk skatepark on my first visit.  Going to head back down there today

rawr1922

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 107
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2022, 12:42:41 PM »

Enjoyed Kitty Hawk skatepark on my first visit.  Going to head back down there today
looks fun. I’m jealous, always wanted to go to OBX

chris

• Rep: 402
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 10:38:15 AM »
The garlic french fries at Bad Bean Burrito