Author Topic: the ART thread.  (Read 327016 times)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: the ART thread.
« Reply #2460 on: February 06, 2020, 07:22:50 AM »
Every time someone types emit. I just think about that Emit / Sub Diabolical Funk wall in Yonkers.

That shit was the dopest wall at that time
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

cricketclub

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #2461 on: February 06, 2020, 08:40:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Great Shit, I love it!

I can also never stick to a style or even medium. But that is what keeps it interesting to me.
I don’t strive to be recognized for a style that I then have to keep from developing not to loose fans, I do what I do for the process and enjoyment itself and if someone likes it I am flattered.

If you want to commercialize your work (and treat it as such) it helps to develop a certain consistency so people know what they’ll get. But I think you can call authenticity a style too.

I’ve had single people get etchings, jewelry, clothing and paintings, tattoos from me that had nothing in common and were (to me) all over the place, but they told me it is all unquestionably my style.

So yeah... wouldn’t stick to anything you don’t want to create.
[close]

Thanks! Yeah I was curious from a professional stand point, I've been told before that its important to have consistency but didn't understand to what extent that meant. But you're right, why make stuff you're not into.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
hi, long time lurker, newbie poster.
I wanted a honest critique of my drawings as I don't get much input on them.
I was also wondering if people consciously pick and stick to one style? I ask this cause I'm not sure if my drawings all emit one style or if its just all over the place...I tend to just draw how I feel at the time and not very conscious of how its being drawn.
[close]

Great work! I love it. I would say that from the four you shared you have a definite artistic voice that is emitted from all of them. Obviously the still life is different in subject matter but I'm sure if you included a ton of your work we could see better how it fits into your oeuvre. Also the still life is awesome. The first three are reeaaally cool and I like the little details like the three handed man.

I've spent a lot of time making art and it has varied in style. Not being able to hone my energies into one specific style or method has frustrated me and contributed to my current hiatus. I want to get back into it. The past few days I have been going through my work to make a portfolio and I realized some ways in which the disparate styles are linked and the portfolio is looking pretty cohesive despite being a little all over the place. I want to get back in to art. It's a lot of work though and finding time when I work full time, have a wife, have pets, skate, and dj is almost impossible. I am glad I'm going back through my work though because it's making me think more creatively again.

[close]

Thanks! Its reassuring to hear that theres a connecting style between the 4 drawings. Cool.

I understand your frustration, I stopped drawing too cause I've felt like I hit some kind of wall.
Thinking back I think I spent too much time thinking about the outcome more than the process, and overthinking
things overall (I still do but...). It always seems like working creatives know/pick a style and just go for it. 

I like your stuff. Especially the 4th drawing, are you using charcoal?
Your work definitely emits some sort of feeling.

Thank you! The fourth one is Collage, Acrylic, and Sand on Canvas. The first is acrylic on canvas, the rest are mixed media (paper or collage and acrylic).
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

animalflesh

« Reply #2462 on: February 24, 2020, 05:38:38 PM »
Drew a picture of our cat for the lady

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2463 on: February 25, 2020, 05:00:54 AM »
I'm going to post my worst shit.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

illustrator college era. Graduation gift for my brother. He didn't graduate I didn't finish the ving
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2464 on: February 25, 2020, 05:42:11 AM »
Mid 30s i met a chemist.

I spent two years working only when I was tripping its horrendous

(A)pl(E)

animalflesh

« Reply #2465 on: February 25, 2020, 07:17:27 AM »
I like it

Dr Dew

« Reply #2466 on: March 26, 2020, 11:03:09 AM »
Joey Yu has mad vibes yo

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #2467 on: March 27, 2020, 08:30:46 PM »
GreAt

PMA

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2468 on: March 30, 2020, 07:34:47 AM »

I got to fix this today.

This was a blue 80s long pocket levi

It had 1073 studs on it at one point but I had to cut that by half and I'm patching up the damage in the shoulders with inner tube pieces.

The pockets are lined with inner tube.

There's 9 coats of black paint on this 2 coats of dark grey primer over a heat set t shirt ink base.

It's 5 years old and is one of 6 I made that period
(A)pl(E)

Dr Dew

« Reply #2469 on: March 30, 2020, 08:54:11 PM »
That’s tight ^^

I’ve been enjoying the work of @shagey_ lately

SSBS1080CBBSNP

• Rep: 18
« Reply #2470 on: March 31, 2020, 12:41:04 AM »
Mid 30s i met a chemist.

I spent two years working only when I was tripping its horrendous

Wild! I’d say that work boarders on horrendous and epic. I’ve had a horrendous hand in many projects. Those things always make me look the closest.

Allez_Jambon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 147
« Reply #2471 on: March 31, 2020, 02:52:02 PM »
I saw there was an Alltimers contest so I made some shit while I'm stuck at home. I think people was talkin shit about the idea of a contest in another thread I made a while ago about the Theories of Atlantis contest, but it's fun and I can add it to my website or whatever.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ac6t1FUeW

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #2472 on: April 24, 2020, 01:03:44 AM »
I don't know where to ask this, so I'll ask here...

Any of you artists have a good resource for finding scans of books that you use for reference in your art?

Mostly I'm looking for scans from old nature books (illustrations and photos, both) and also things like human anatomy books.

I'm fucking sick of using google image search and having to sign into pinterest for all this shit. I would buy actual books, but I move way too often and books are heavy to move from place to place. So, If I could just find some cool source and just load up full books into my ipad to use for reference that would be ideal. I would be willing to pay for a subscription to a website if that's what it takes, I'm just sick of pinterest.

Thanks!

computerdate

• Rep: 18
  • I hope they keep down the price of gas
« Reply #2473 on: April 24, 2020, 01:44:09 AM »

Any of you artists have a good resource for finding scans of books that you use for reference in your art?

Mostly I'm looking for scans from old nature books (illustrations and photos, both) and also things like human anatomy books.

I'm fucking sick of using google image search and having to sign into pinterest for all this shit. I would buy actual books, but I move way too often and books are heavy to move from place to place. So, If I could just find some cool source and just load up full books into my ipad to use for reference that would be ideal. I would be willing to pay for a subscription to a website if that's what it takes, I'm just sick of pinterest.

Thanks!

Not sure where you’re located, but thrift stores and antique shops are a gold mine for books of that kind. I find stuff all the time, granted I live in the Los Angeles area so I’m maybe spoiled, but honestly most people aren’t really looking for nature books so they’re pretty common. I know what you said about books being too heavy, maybe just buy them, make photocopies and donate them back?  It’d be a little work but a book and some photocopies for 3 bucks is still cheaper than any website subscription you might get. Plus if you find some random book from the 70s no one has ever uploaded online, it’s probably a more interesting reference than a google image that’s been viewed a million times.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #2474 on: April 24, 2020, 06:25:53 AM »

Thanks!

Many museums offer total digital access to their collections, that means high res scans of all kinds of cool stuff.
I think more museums offered it since the lockdown.
Here is one I saved, not nature related but you can maybe check famous natural history museums ?
https://archive.org/details/guggenheimmuseum?tab=collection

edit : archive.org is a goldmine
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 06:28:01 AM by NollieBackflip »

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #2475 on: April 24, 2020, 07:01:06 AM »
Not sure where you’re located, but thrift stores and antique shops are a gold mine for books of that kind. I find stuff all the time, granted I live in the Los Angeles area so I’m maybe spoiled, but honestly most people aren’t really looking for nature books so they’re pretty common. I know what you said about books being too heavy, maybe just buy them, make photocopies and donate them back?  It’d be a little work but a book and some photocopies for 3 bucks is still cheaper than any website subscription you might get. Plus if you find some random book from the 70s no one has ever uploaded online, it’s probably a more interesting reference than a google image that’s been viewed a million times.

I live in a village in the middle of nowhere so, yeah, it's not really an option. When I lived in NYC I would use the image collection at the public library and it was super good. And also just going to the library in general, but, now, since I don't live in a city with a decent library, I'm out of luck for things like that.

Many museums offer total digital access to their collections, that means high res scans of all kinds of cool stuff.
I think more museums offered it since the lockdown.
Here is one I saved, not nature related but you can maybe check famous natural history museums ?
https://archive.org/details/guggenheimmuseum?tab=collection

edit : archive.org is a goldmine

Yeah! Looks like it could be good, thanks for the tip.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2476 on: May 02, 2020, 01:14:12 PM »
(A)pl(E)

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1060
« Reply #2477 on: May 02, 2020, 05:28:29 PM »
I saw there was an Alltimers contest so I made some shit while I'm stuck at home. I think people was talkin shit about the idea of a contest in another thread I made a while ago about the Theories of Atlantis contest, but it's fun and I can add it to my website or whatever.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-ac6t1FUeW

Gnar'd. I dig all of this

doublesteveburger

« Reply #2478 on: May 02, 2020, 11:59:32 PM »

blowjobtofakie

• Rep: 103

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2480 on: May 07, 2020, 07:28:40 AM »
Expand Quote

How can I buy this?

I'll give it to you if I can find it. This is in one of the 40000 boxes in the attic.
(A)pl(E)

SHAQUEEFA

• Rep: 25
« Reply #2481 on: May 07, 2020, 08:02:07 AM »

I like collages.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #2482 on: May 07, 2020, 08:04:16 AM »

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #2483 on: May 07, 2020, 08:04:53 AM »

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #2484 on: May 07, 2020, 08:06:07 AM »

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #2485 on: May 07, 2020, 08:07:32 AM »

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1373
« Reply #2486 on: May 07, 2020, 08:13:47 AM »
Gnarred, loving the stamps and matchbooks collages.

SHAQUEEFA

« Reply #2487 on: May 08, 2020, 12:01:19 PM »
Gnarred, loving the stamps and matchbooks collages.

Thanks!

animalflesh

« Reply #2488 on: June 21, 2020, 04:24:21 PM »

Some old drawings at my dads house

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #2489 on: June 21, 2020, 08:09:49 PM »
Dooooope