Author Topic: the ART thread.  (Read 327700 times)

doublesteveburger

Re: the ART thread.
« Reply #2430 on: August 22, 2019, 12:39:56 AM »
Walker is rad. Him and Todd over at Anti-hero had a group showing recently and the novelty items sold at the showing were priceless.

Here’s another cause it’s been a little while. Been in a slump lately.

jtrpma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #2431 on: August 22, 2019, 05:49:31 AM »
I love the texture on that one!

PMA

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #2432 on: September 04, 2019, 07:50:27 AM »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

animalflesh

« Reply #2433 on: September 04, 2019, 08:42:06 AM »
Everything on this page is so cool

I’ve gotta look back through this thread

Here’s a sharpie drawing I did of Dahmer

goeatsomefriedbread

• Rep: 268
« Reply #2434 on: September 12, 2019, 05:48:56 AM »
Some clay bits I made recently

Walker is rad. Him and Todd over at Anti-hero had a group showing recently and the novelty items sold at the showing were priceless.

Here’s another cause it’s been a little while. Been in a slump lately.

Really nice!

Anton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
    • Blog avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2435 on: September 15, 2019, 04:21:42 AM »

AssFea

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2436 on: September 16, 2019, 09:18:30 PM »
Everything on this page is so cool

I’ve gotta look back through this thread

Here’s a sharpie drawing I did of Dahmer

I thought that was Neen

JohnnySaintLethal

• Rep: 15
« Reply #2437 on: October 22, 2019, 03:00:39 PM »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1195
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2438 on: January 06, 2020, 08:18:59 PM »
Can someone explain to me like I’m 5 the appeal of Mark Rothko’s “multiform” paintings?  The rectangle/square jawns.

I’m 100% willing to accept that I just don’t “get it”... but I’d like to.  Are they the kind of thing you have to see in person?

What am I supposed to be feeling when I look at this?:

Or is it one of those things that can’t be translated into words?

Or is it just a bunch of bullshit?

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Dr Dew

« Reply #2439 on: January 07, 2020, 10:24:55 AM »
 :-\
Can someone explain to me like I’m 5 the appeal of Mark Rothko’s “multiform” paintings?  The rectangle/square jawns.

I’m 100% willing to accept that I just don’t “get it”... but I’d like to.  Are they the kind of thing you have to see in person?

It doesn’t work seeing the .jpg on your phone/computer screen. You have to be tripping balls walking through an art museum and then BAM it hits you like delfino slam. Massive canvas, overwhelming emotion and power on the paper staring u right in the face. You are confronted with a massive piece of work with no ties to reality, just pure feeling and energy

Or it’s used as a tax evasion scheme or some shit?

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #2440 on: January 07, 2020, 10:27:47 AM »
me

1:20

mArLeY

Matt

• Rep: 28
« Reply #2441 on: January 07, 2020, 10:44:20 AM »

Yeah you have to see them in person if you're going to get anything out of them. Some of them are pretty big and these types of paintings I think only really hit if you stare at them in person for a bit. But you sorta get what you put into them. If someone has the old "this is dumb, a kid could paint this" attitude then you won't get anything out of it. But standing in a quiet gallery staring at a field of colour can be an interesting and weird moment. But yeah, they're also bullshit.
live love laugh

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #2442 on: January 07, 2020, 10:55:55 AM »
Anton I'm not a tattooer but paint flash for fun when I have time. What do you use for lining your sheets? I've tried pens, markers and nibs but can't find anything I like. Pens and markers bleed to much and nibs always turn out a bit rigid. Using Arches watercolor paper. Any tips would be appreciated
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

doublesteveburger

« Reply #2443 on: January 08, 2020, 07:49:02 PM »
miss this thread, love everything in here

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #2444 on: January 08, 2020, 08:45:22 PM »

What the other people said is valid. One other thing is that Rothko didn’t just think this would be a nice thing to paint.

It’s a response to art movements before it, and his part in a long conversation about what art, especially painting, is.

Ever since the start of the ‘modern’ period where artists started painting more and more abstractly, flattening the canvas, focusing on the paint rather than the details of a ‘picture’, and so on.

This is one of Rothko’s parts in deconstructing notions of what a painting is.

So it’s interesting if you know the history behind it.

But if it doesn’t do anything for you as a painting itself, that’s totally fine. You don’t have to get the nerdiness behind it.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #2445 on: January 08, 2020, 08:59:46 PM »
via Imgflip Meme Generator

this is pretty old like 2002?
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #2446 on: January 08, 2020, 10:26:44 PM »
via Imgflip Meme Generator

this is made with fire
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2447 on: January 09, 2020, 04:36:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

What the other people said is valid. One other thing is that Rothko didn’t just think this would be a nice thing to paint.

It’s a response to art movements before it, and his part in a long conversation about what art, especially painting, is.

Ever since the start of the ‘modern’ period where artists started painting more and more abstractly, flattening the canvas, focusing on the paint rather than the details of a ‘picture’, and so on.

This is one of Rothko’s parts in deconstructing notions of what a painting is.

So it’s interesting if you know the history behind it.

But if it doesn’t do anything for you as a painting itself, that’s totally fine. You don’t have to get the nerdiness behind it.

Not really a rothko fan but seeing them in person is definitely different/better, theyre quite big (read impressive)

Anton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
    • Blog avatar image
« Reply #2448 on: January 29, 2020, 01:44:23 PM »
Anton I'm not a tattooer but paint flash for fun when I have time. What do you use for lining your sheets? I've tried pens, markers and nibs but can't find anything I like. Pens and markers bleed to much and nibs always turn out a bit rigid. Using Arches watercolor paper. Any tips would be appreciated
sorry, I've missed your question! I mostly use good quality nibs, they are by far the best for watercolor paper, I also use arches and canson papers.

Here is a Jesus flash I painted some of months ago

A classic dragon

Some weird anatomy flash

Robert Johnson flash

shucknjive

• Rep: -39
« Reply #2449 on: January 29, 2020, 01:50:18 PM »
i wanted 2 b an ArTi$T so bad
mArLeY

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2450 on: January 29, 2020, 02:21:24 PM »
So much sick stuff in here, damn. This was a small series I did a good while ago. Please excuse the dusty shitty pictures.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 971
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #2451 on: January 29, 2020, 05:43:27 PM »
So much sick stuff in here, damn. This was a small series I did a good while ago. Please excuse the dusty shitty pictures.

these are good.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #2452 on: January 29, 2020, 06:25:22 PM »
I really like those too!

PMA

os89

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
« Reply #2453 on: January 29, 2020, 06:26:27 PM »
these are good.

I really like those too!

Thanks guys!

edit: Ill throw these in here too. Used to make and sell shirts. Had a few bands wearing them for a minute, sent some to Health, these are powers, few others like thu tran, also sent some to Thomas Pridgen when he was the drummer for mars volta for a minute.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 08:27:03 AM by os89 »

flyingdepabrothers

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2454 on: February 05, 2020, 01:43:56 AM »
hi, long time lurker, newbie poster.
I wanted a honest critique of my drawings as I don't get much input on them.
I was also wondering if people consciously pick and stick to one style? I ask this cause I'm not sure if my drawings all emit one style or if its just all over the place...I tend to just draw how I feel at the time and not very conscious of how its being drawn.

jtrpma

• PMA
« Reply #2455 on: February 05, 2020, 05:11:14 AM »
Great Shit, I love it!

I can also never stick to a style or even medium. But that is what keeps it interesting to me.
I don’t strive to be recognized for a style that I then have to keep from developing not to loose fans, I do what I do for the process and enjoyment itself and if someone likes it I am flattered.

If you want to commercialize your work (and treat it as such) it helps to develop a certain consistency so people know what they’ll get. But I think you can call authenticity a style too.

I’ve had single people get etchings, jewelry, clothing and paintings, tattoos from me that had nothing in common and were (to me) all over the place, but they told me it is all unquestionably my style.

So yeah... wouldn’t stick to anything you don’t want to create.

PMA

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #2456 on: February 05, 2020, 06:41:28 AM »
I was also wondering if people consciously pick and stick to one style? I ask this cause I'm not sure if my drawings all emit one style or if its just all over the place...I tend to just draw how I feel at the time and not very conscious of how its being drawn.

Great work! I love it. I would say that from the four you shared you have a definite artistic voice that is emitted from all of them. Obviously the still life is different in subject matter but I'm sure if you included a ton of your work we could see better how it fits into your oeuvre. Also the still life is awesome. The first three are reeaaally cool and I like the little details like the three handed man.

I've spent a lot of time making art and it has varied in style. Not being able to hone my energies into one specific style or method has frustrated me and contributed to my current hiatus. I want to get back into it. The past few days I have been going through my work to make a portfolio and I realized some ways in which the disparate styles are linked and the portfolio is looking pretty cohesive despite being a little all over the place. I want to get back in to art. It's a lot of work though and finding time when I work full time, have a wife, have pets, skate, and dj is almost impossible. I am glad I'm going back through my work though because it's making me think more creatively again.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 06:44:44 AM by cricketclub »
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

animalflesh

« Reply #2457 on: February 05, 2020, 12:15:54 PM »
Really enjoy that stuff ^^^

Haven’t really drawn anything in a while

Here’s an old one:

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #2458 on: February 05, 2020, 12:37:12 PM »
collage i did with a book i picked up from the thrift store

even the steven

flyingdepabrothers

• Rep: 0
« Reply #2459 on: February 05, 2020, 11:42:35 PM »
Great Shit, I love it!

I can also never stick to a style or even medium. But that is what keeps it interesting to me.
I don’t strive to be recognized for a style that I then have to keep from developing not to loose fans, I do what I do for the process and enjoyment itself and if someone likes it I am flattered.

If you want to commercialize your work (and treat it as such) it helps to develop a certain consistency so people know what they’ll get. But I think you can call authenticity a style too.

I’ve had single people get etchings, jewelry, clothing and paintings, tattoos from me that had nothing in common and were (to me) all over the place, but they told me it is all unquestionably my style.

So yeah... wouldn’t stick to anything you don’t want to create.

Thanks! Yeah I was curious from a professional stand point, I've been told before that its important to have consistency but didn't understand to what extent that meant. But you're right, why make stuff you're not into.

Expand Quote
[close]

Great work! I love it. I would say that from the four you shared you have a definite artistic voice that is emitted from all of them. Obviously the still life is different in subject matter but I'm sure if you included a ton of your work we could see better how it fits into your oeuvre. Also the still life is awesome. The first three are reeaaally cool and I like the little details like the three handed man.

I've spent a lot of time making art and it has varied in style. Not being able to hone my energies into one specific style or method has frustrated me and contributed to my current hiatus. I want to get back into it. The past few days I have been going through my work to make a portfolio and I realized some ways in which the disparate styles are linked and the portfolio is looking pretty cohesive despite being a little all over the place. I want to get back in to art. It's a lot of work though and finding time when I work full time, have a wife, have pets, skate, and dj is almost impossible. I am glad I'm going back through my work though because it's making me think more creatively again.

Thanks! Its reassuring to hear that theres a connecting style between the 4 drawings. Cool.

I understand your frustration, I stopped drawing too cause I've felt like I hit some kind of wall.
Thinking back I think I spent too much time thinking about the outcome more than the process, and overthinking
things overall (I still do but...). It always seems like working creatives know/pick a style and just go for it. 

I like your stuff. Especially the 4th drawing, are you using charcoal?
Your work definitely emits some sort of feeling.