Author Topic: SLAP's getting a long overdue upgrade  (Read 17516 times)

Nora9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -81
Re: SLAP's getting a long overdue upgrade
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2017, 12:00:08 AM »
have the rep like other forums where u can see what posts were repped and leave comments

Nora9

• Rep: -81
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2017, 12:00:33 AM »
so many of my juicy negs i dunno what they r from

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2017, 09:08:05 AM »
Expand Quote
As long as I don't have to log back in because I do NOT remember this password
[close]

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2017, 10:01:55 AM »
I'm always more curious who the people that have me on ignore are.

About circa-2003, before rep numbers, there was this system where you would accumulate these like red blocks for breaking rules/annoying people, and if your bar got filled up, your account would be banned.

I really only remember that cause Sheffledge got a bunch for saying he was gonna rape someone's mom.

DaSk8D00D

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: -108
  • Can't Leave SLAP Alone the Game Needs Me!
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2017, 10:20:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's finally happening

I welcome the upgrade. SLAP's home page has been pretty useless/out of date for years now. A featured threads section on the homepage would be nice. What exactly do you mean by upgrading the forum software? What would be the noticeable improvements from a user standpoint?
[close]
From the upgrade standpoint the main improvements are:
1) Speed/Performance
2) User / Post moderation is better
3) We can add extensions for things like auto embedding youtube vids, images, Instagram etc...
4) Moving to a more responsive design
[close]

Hell yeah, sounds good! One suggestion I have is the ability to "like" or thumbs up individual posts. It's a feature ive seen & used on other forums and think it'd be cool on here to like stuff like peoples pics in the setup thread, photoshops/funny posts, good info, etc...sometimes you wanna give someone props without actually posting something & not everyone can gnar/kook people. Just a suggestion
[close]
Please do not do anything even remotely like this. The like button is the laziest excuse for millennials to pretend they are involving themselves in something. If you can't be bothered to compliment someone by typing then what's the point in "liking" it.

Everything else sounds good. I like Slap because it is still just a straight up forum not a complex social network.

There's nothing complex about liking (or "thanking" as I've seen on other forums) individual posts, & I think it would work great in the setup thread & things like that. I'm not even gonna get into the millennial/social media thing as we're posting on skateboarding message board in 2017 & I think my argument kind of speaks for itself on that end.

Crazy how not even that long ago I made a thread about SLAP getting an upgrade and people were super opposed to it and said they "like it how it is, don't change it", and now when the admin says we're getting LONG OVERDUE upgrades, people are all excited for it

They gonna come come out with a gnar button for individual posts & y'all gon be the first ones to use it to thank the mods

childhood

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 663
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2017, 10:23:47 AM »

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2017, 11:59:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
It's finally happening

I welcome the upgrade. SLAP's home page has been pretty useless/out of date for years now. A featured threads section on the homepage would be nice. What exactly do you mean by upgrading the forum software? What would be the noticeable improvements from a user standpoint?
[close]
From the upgrade standpoint the main improvements are:
1) Speed/Performance
2) User / Post moderation is better
3) We can add extensions for things like auto embedding youtube vids, images, Instagram etc...
4) Moving to a more responsive design
[close]

Hell yeah, sounds good! One suggestion I have is the ability to "like" or thumbs up individual posts. It's a feature ive seen & used on other forums and think it'd be cool on here to like stuff like peoples pics in the setup thread, photoshops/funny posts, good info, etc...sometimes you wanna give someone props without actually posting something & not everyone can gnar/kook people. Just a suggestion
[close]
Please do not do anything even remotely like this. The like button is the laziest excuse for millennials to pretend they are involving themselves in something. If you can't be bothered to compliment someone by typing then what's the point in "liking" it.

Everything else sounds good. I like Slap because it is still just a straight up forum not a complex social network.
[close]

There's nothing complex about liking (or "thanking" as I've seen on other forums) individual posts, & I think it would work great in the setup thread & things like that. I'm not even gonna get into the millennial/social media thing as we're posting on skateboarding message board in 2017 & I think my argument kind of speaks for itself on that end.

Crazy how not even that long ago I made a thread about SLAP getting an upgrade and people were super opposed to it and said they "like it how it is, don't change it", and now when the admin says we're getting LONG OVERDUE upgrades, people are all excited for it

They gonna come come out with a gnar button for individual posts & y'all gon be the first ones to use it to thank the mods
Dig up that thread and I think you'll find my attitude hasn't changed. I've always liked Slap's rudimentary look and feel. I deleted Facebook before the "timeline" became a thing, Instagram stories? Not even once. I like things to be what they are not everything at once.

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 986
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2017, 01:18:41 PM »
can you make it so will can't use his corny black faces anymore .. i think that's the only thing needed
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Kolostrum

• Rep: 21
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2017, 01:32:12 PM »
Make youtube go full screen and we got no issues.

Lotta good suggestions, but this one has to be the biggest no brianer. Absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to watch fullscreen embedded videos on here.

Big Skatefase

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 561
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2017, 01:49:28 PM »
don't turn slap into thecoli.com.

i'm fine with keeping it the same as it is with just a better embed system and better servers.

slap's basic stripped down to the basics aesthetic adds to it's charm rather than other forums that have way to much going on with it.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -295
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2017, 06:43:18 PM »
I'm always more curious who the people that have me on ignore are.

About circa-2003, before rep numbers, there was this system where you would accumulate these like red blocks for breaking rules/annoying people, and if your bar got filled up, your account would be banned.

I really only remember that cause Sheffledge got a bunch for saying he was gonna rape someone's mom.

Agree, why would you bother?

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2017, 06:39:29 PM »
Looking forward to an update! Would like to chat more if this will change mod duties and all that if you'd like to chat over email or something with us.

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -376
  • ants suck!
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2017, 05:21:54 AM »
can you make it so will can't use his corny black faces anymore .. i think that's the only thing needed
really, theyre dumb as fuck
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2017, 08:53:52 AM »
make it so gnars/kooks dont re-load the whole page. it sucks going through photoshop threads and gnaring like 6 people then having to hit the back button 6 times.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2017, 09:52:16 AM »
make it so gnars/kooks dont re-load the whole page. it sucks going through photoshop threads and gnaring like 6 people then having to hit the back button 6 times.

Agreed.

But there's a workaround for now: If you're using a mouse and a real browser, just gnar/kook with your "middle" button. Pressing the scroll wheel and all. That's what I do. It opens a new page, which you don't really have to load. Just close it as soon as you send the request (or whenever you want).

admin

• Administrator
  • Rep: 890
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2017, 10:13:31 AM »
What do you guys think about these basic layouts?
Buttons to "promote article"

Regular

More "author" info

shit_for_brains

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2017, 05:35:18 PM »
I think the soft, rounded corners imply that you think we're a bunch of pussies.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2017, 06:21:15 PM »
aside from sfb's joke, the aesthetic does seem a bit too "soft" for slap. could also do without the author info and the avatars might be a bit too small to be useful.

i'm into the front page idea and making images and videos auto embed would obviously be great. would be cool to make instagram links embeddable too.

backing getting rid of page refreshes when karma is applied.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 06:27:29 PM by Iceman »

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2017, 07:00:29 PM »
Can we make it so that when you type an o it makes it show up like a tiny skateboard wheel? T's could be like a side view of a Indy 149 all grinded down and rad and shit just spitballin'.

snowman600

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 728
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2017, 07:46:35 PM »

patrick c.

• Rep: 23
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2017, 08:25:17 PM »
Don't know if this has already been discussed or is feasible to do but the search function has been really hit or miss for the past few years.  It would be really cool to be able to search for similar topics before starting new threads.
All you got is today, get out and skate.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 374
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2017, 10:29:51 PM »
Yeah it looks too "bleh" for me. Is it possible to keep the same UI or have something similar?

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2017, 05:58:39 AM »
id rather keep it the same than switch to the pussy version

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 483
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2017, 07:49:46 AM »
something like this would be preferred

seriously..

admin

• Administrator
  • Rep: 890
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2017, 08:26:25 AM »
I will work on porting the current style over, I was more looking for just functionality concepts.  I will keep you updated.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2017, 10:04:42 AM »
Leave it alone !

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 711
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2017, 11:40:48 AM »
Can we get foreigner signs working? Is kinda shitty that sometimes I cant write peoples name right. ? ? ? ?, etc...

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

shit_for_brains

« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2017, 11:54:23 AM »
Can we get foreigner signs working? Is kinda shitty that sometimes I cant write peoples name right. ? ? ? ?, etc...

After some extreme vetting maybe

JB

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2017, 12:51:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

After some extreme vetting maybe

i kinda like that its ?s shoes though. 

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2017, 01:00:08 PM »
def no info about the poster, just wasted space
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here