Author Topic: running into pros  (Read 31496 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: running into pros
« Reply #180 on: August 03, 2017, 05:52:54 PM »
Henry Sanchez was filming a line at Pier 7 and I cut him off. Gave me a very angry look.
Just be thankful it wasn't Bobby while you and your pregnant wife sat down for a nice relaxing lunch ;)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

thebacker

« Reply #181 on: August 03, 2017, 07:18:45 PM »
Almost got into a car accident with ishod coming out of a skatepark parking lot. He threw a shaka with a smile and speeded off.

Dead Horseman

• Rep: 2
« Reply #182 on: August 03, 2017, 11:37:11 PM »

- Cairo Foster is a really nice guy, but would skate the greater East Bay Area and was known for going to spots locals had done a film-worthy trick and do the same thing. I remember seeing him skate the Walnut Creek J.C.C. gate gap as well as Northridge rail and feel odd seeing him doing tricks that other locals had shot photos with the same photog, a guy named Bruce who was tied to Think.  Not to bury the guy, he always remembers me and if he sees me he'll give me shit for this, but it is just what he is known for.

Do you think he was doing this knowingly? Or was he just green to the tricks that had gone down at these spots? Curious.

bad joke

• Rep: 156
« Reply #183 on: August 03, 2017, 11:51:19 PM »
Expand Quote

- Cairo Foster is a really nice guy, but would skate the greater East Bay Area and was known for going to spots locals had done a film-worthy trick and do the same thing. I remember seeing him skate the Walnut Creek J.C.C. gate gap as well as Northridge rail and feel odd seeing him doing tricks that other locals had shot photos with the same photog, a guy named Bruce who was tied to Think.  Not to bury the guy, he always remembers me and if he sees me he'll give me shit for this, but it is just what he is known for.

[close]

Do you think he was doing this knowingly? Or was he just green to the tricks that had gone down at these spots? Curious.

we all know cairo foster is the biggest fucking asshole ever in skateboarding

for instance he nicknamed chad muska "chad musk aroma"

shark tits

« Reply #184 on: August 04, 2017, 07:26:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

in defense of that noillie hardflipping nerd, ^ that joke wrote itself.
cairo gave a homeless kid i knew a sleeping bag. i thought he was pure as freash snow, maybe he got ran outta philly for doing 'cover songs' of local skaters' tricks?

shit_for_brains

« Reply #185 on: August 04, 2017, 07:30:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
in defense of that noillie hardflipping nerd, ^ that joke wrote itself.
cairo gave a homeless kid i knew a sleeping bag. i thought he was pure as freash snow, maybe he got ran outta philly for doing 'cover songs' of local skaters' tricks?

nollie hardflipping fs shoveishing

Chris

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #186 on: August 04, 2017, 08:04:09 AM »
Ran into Rowley in a small town outside of Vancouver. He was driving around lost and asked about hunting in the mountains, specifically wondering about cougars(I know). Ran into James Craig in Montreal at a bar while out for the am getting paid contest. Really cool and chill guy, we talked about SML and the TM life after pro skating. Different night in Montreal me and a buddy of mine were at the deathwish premier and hung out with Beagle for the better part of the night getting too high and talking about skateboarding. He's exactly how you think he'd be.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #187 on: August 04, 2017, 09:05:51 AM »
Ran into Rowley in a small town outside of Vancouver. He was driving around lost and asked about hunting in the mountains, specifically wondering about cougars(I know). Ran into James Craig in Montreal at a bar while out for the am getting paid contest. Really cool and chill guy, we talked about SML and the TM life after pro skating. Different night in Montreal me and a buddy of mine were at the deathwish premier and hung out with Beagle for the better part of the night getting too high and talking about skateboarding. He's exactly how you think he'd be.

Did you immediately go for the two-slap-pound shake? Or the awkward handshake-turned-hug fiasco? I've heard that's a pet peeve to some.

Chris

• Rep: 12
« Reply #188 on: August 04, 2017, 10:32:46 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Did you immediately go for the two-slap-pound shake? Or the awkward handshake-turned-hug fiasco? I've heard that's a pet peeve to some.

Two slap pound shake. You know it's coming so mayaswell avoid the awkwardness trying to do anything else.

railchomper420

• Rep: -35
« Reply #189 on: August 04, 2017, 11:33:31 PM »
most recently, i was heading into work here at the austin bergstrom airport, saw chima waiting for his bags down at baggage claim, day before that vans tour started, didnt say anything to him though, been an idiot to enough pros in my life already

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -607
« Reply #190 on: August 05, 2017, 08:17:44 AM »
I met Matt Rodriguez back in the day, dude gave me a pair of shoes. Super cool dude, had a long conversation. I was like 14 maybe, all about I-Path and Supernaut, definitely took me seriously.

Met BA at a dumb Nike SB thing during SXSW a few years back. It was a Q&A with like him, Omar, Daryl, and maybe Stefan. I really can't remember if it was Stefan or what, but there was another SB pro. People were asking dumb questions, like who they thought was gonna win Street League and shit. Anyway, BA was over it the whole time, kept saying "Am I gay? Am I gay?" Out of nowhere, BA gets up and walks to me, saying, "Dude I love your shirt." It was a Fourstar Gonz tee. Me and the homies talked to BA for almost an hour. Definitely one of the coolest dudes.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2220
« Reply #191 on: August 05, 2017, 09:27:53 AM »
I met Matt Rodriguez back in the day, dude gave me a pair of shoes. Super cool dude, had a long conversation. I was like 14 maybe, all about I-Path and Supernaut, definitely took me seriously.

Met BA at a dumb Nike SB thing during SXSW a few years back. It was a Q&A with like him, Omar, Daryl, and maybe Stefan. I really can't remember if it was Stefan or what, but there was another SB pro. People were asking dumb questions, like who they thought was gonna win Street League and shit. Anyway, BA was over it the whole time, kept saying "Am I gay? Am I gay?" Out of nowhere, BA gets up and walks to me, saying, "Dude I love your shirt." It was a Fourstar Gonz tee. Me and the homies talked to BA for almost an hour. Definitely one of the coolest dudes.
BA seems like a rad dude to rap out with and this confirms it

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

midwestmiddleman

• Rep: -88
  • Pantheistprowler
« Reply #192 on: August 05, 2017, 08:20:14 PM »
Saw John Dickson skate my hometown park a long time ago I saw the birdhouse video he was in and knew it was dude. His tricks where so chill but tight as well

Not Unlike You

• Rep: -23
« Reply #193 on: August 06, 2017, 04:53:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think it was 50/50 - some of the tricks seemed somewhat random for him to do down the spots and others I could just see happening, it happened a bit - not a lot in the early 2000s.

I have always been fine with Cairo, but I don't go get happy hour with him.

Skateboarding is a business and if you have a name as well as people paying you and others don't - all is fair.

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 644
« Reply #194 on: August 06, 2017, 10:48:28 PM »
Saw Dan Pluckett at Bart today and got on the same train as him

Weird how some of you are talking about the Northgate rail though, I went to high school there and didn't think it was that famous of a spot.

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #195 on: August 07, 2017, 12:26:35 AM »
Got the birdmans autograph when I was a 13 year old kook

Saw P Rod at El Camino do a nollie heelflip tailside when he was a flow kid. I'll never forget how dope it looked

Partied at Garrett Hills moms house, my ex's family is really close with his family.

Tony Alva used to skate pedlow a lot when they remodeled it and once he skated over to me and told me how much he liked the park "especially at sunset when the shadows are all perfect." I saw he a few more times once when I had some awesome kush and I was too pussy to asked him if he wanted to burn one.

Saw the boss do a flat ground kickflip at Richie Valens and you could hear his foot drag across the grip for what seemed like forever. So high so clean. his KF is my favorite.

Saw AVE at a Bad Religion show and when I told him I liked his mind field part he rolled his eyes at me

Jeremy Wray walked up right after AVE and was way cool.
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Bumpovertrash

« Reply #196 on: August 07, 2017, 12:34:28 AM »
Malto drove by in his BMW while I was skating downtown and waved to me

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1432
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #197 on: August 07, 2017, 04:06:07 PM »
Saw DGKalis skating downtown Chicago on insta over the weekend. I basically stalked the guy, but instead of being weirded out (like I would be), he invited me to the session. Also, fully willing to shoot the shit about any and everything. Without a doubt the coolest pro I've run into.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #198 on: August 08, 2017, 06:01:58 AM »
Been meaning to post this one for a couple of years...

Ran into the alien team (rather: they ran into us), during kotr 2012. Went to skate/BBQ on a small camper grill in daybreak utah (it's like a small walkway path/skatepark. Dahveed did a major gap here in his soty vid). They showed up as we were barley skated and had barley pattied the grill. Omar was definitely the shining light of the crew. While the rest of the team kept themselves quiet/secluded at the other side of the park, Omar mashed down towards us, busts a fat bs ollie on a small steep side bank (that's hard to skate) and introduced himself to us. I was a bit starstruck, given that I didn't realize it was him until he shook my hand. Really nice. He is as wild and gregarious as he comes across in videos. He was stoked-out on our little bbq picnic, gave us doomsayers stickers (b4 it was an official brand), had small talk and was just genuinely friendly and interested in us strangers. Even as they eventually left and pulled away from the park, driving down the street, Omar shouted towards us out of his window, "HAVE FUUUUUUN! LOOOOOOVE LIIIFE! SKAAAAATE!!!" While they were there, we just turned off the grill, sat and watched them handle some work as they were in & out of the place for what seemed like less than an hour. They let us record them from the sidelines, but warned not to leak footy at the time:

headtowall

• Rep: -14
« Reply #199 on: August 08, 2017, 07:45:02 AM »
if non skate situations? I saw Riley Hawk at Jumbo's Clown Room on a Monday night when I was out there for vacation.

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #200 on: August 08, 2017, 08:11:19 AM »
if non skate situations? I saw Riley Hawk at Jumbo's Clown Room on a Monday night when I was out there for vacation.

Only time I've ever been to jumbos one of the girls climbed the pole and twerked upside down at the top of the pole. It looked like she was twerking on the ceiling. Needless to say me and my ex were very impressed.
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

headtowall

• Rep: -14
« Reply #201 on: August 08, 2017, 12:16:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Only time I've ever been to jumbos one of the girls climbed the pole and twerked upside down at the top of the pole. It looked like she was twerking on the ceiling. Needless to say me and my ex were very impressed.
place was fun, LA is a very dead city on a monday night, we went to like 6 places and its was boring, so we headed up there it was packed, my fiance got to throw dollar bills all night on her 30th birthday, and drink $3 beers. Total success.

c-dock

• Rep: 10
  • Lurker
« Reply #202 on: August 08, 2017, 06:09:18 PM »
I skate the same park that Brian Wenning is always skating on instagram so I run into him pretty frequently

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #203 on: August 09, 2017, 02:55:47 PM »
Saw P Rod at El Camino do a nollie heelflip tailside when he was a flow kid. I'll never forget how dope it looked

In my early 20's I was skatin at the SM sand gaps by myself on a good one when PJ Ladd showed up by himself. I recall a nollie heel tailslide first try as well as a bs 5-0 hop the gap to 5-0 right after. We didn't speak a word to each other for over a hour, but one time he did a KF 5-0 first try on the ledge n I came rollin right behind him and did a BSTS shove-it out first try as well. He said, "We did doubles" an those were the only words spoke on that 1-2hr session.

Afterwards, I went to the Venice drum circle, drank Arrogant Bastards n tried not to die drivin home...

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #204 on: August 11, 2017, 07:11:45 AM »
back in 2013 i think it was the made in emerica tour? reynolds herm hsu etc at the shittiest park under a bridge here in the uk, anyway my friend walks up to hsu and says "you alright jerry" and goes for a high five whereas hsu goes for a fistbump and he just ends up grabbing his hand awkwardly before walking off

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1570
« Reply #205 on: August 11, 2017, 02:31:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
In my early 20's I was skatin at the SM sand gaps by myself on a good one when PJ Ladd showed up by himself. I recall a nollie heel tailslide first try as well as a bs 5-0 hop the gap to 5-0 right after. We didn't speak a word to each other for over a hour, but one time he did a KF 5-0 first try on the ledge n I came rollin right behind him and did a BSTS shove-it out first try as well. He said, "We did doubles" an those were the only words spoke on that 1-2hr session.

Afterwards, I went to the Venice drum circle, drank Arrogant Bastards n tried not to die drivin home...

i too had a PJ sighting back in 2011 at stoner one morning, my friends and i showed up as early as possible because it was our first time there, we were in LA for just a few days and wanted to try and have at least some of the park to ourselves before it got packed. so we get there as early as possible, park is empty except for one hoodie-wearing silhouette in the corner doing oddly familiar-looking flatground 360 flips over and over going very slow and of course it's pj ladd. aware of the discreet nature of the guy i just say hi and start skating but of course the dudes i'm with can't help but fan out like naive tourists (which we really all were but i didn't want to bother the guy, despite him being one of my all-time favorites). dude then proceeded to stay in his little corner practicing slow flatground, landing all the basics textbook everytime - never saw him bail once. after a while he moved on to the low ledge and was now going for lines of again slow, yet really clean basics he would never miss once. i remember being a bit let down by the lack of agression in his skating compared to his WHL days back when he looked a lot wilder (but i could appreciate his patience and technique). didn't hear it myself but apparently he liked a switch laser flip i did and asked one of my friends about my stance. by then more people were starting to show up at the park and ask him about the next shoe company he was going to get on at the time and other boring stuff when he clearly just wanted to skate, eventually as soon as the middle of the morning he just quietly took off. his humility that day actually left a strong impression on me

john smith

• Rep: 1
« Reply #206 on: August 12, 2017, 09:45:43 AM »

not really "running into" as it was at a demo, but got to ride around in Rocco's Land Rover / barbarians at the gate thing.  all the kids were fanning out on the pros and nobody recognized Rocco but my buddy and I.  Rocco said he wanted some beef jerky and cherries, heh, I thought he was kidding, but he offered my  buddy and I a ride, said he only had room for two so we ditched my little brother at the park.  our first stop was at a taxidermist, I'm from the south, but they only made jerky for those that brought a body, that's all I remember, and that when I got back to the park my brother was getting a darkslide tutorial from Rodney Mullen, almost got them.

Pigeon

« Reply #207 on: August 12, 2017, 09:48:11 AM »
I thoughtI ran into Muska after his release of the Skytop 4, and when he dropped a racial epithet at the security guard, but it was some homeless junkie instead.

alexhondo54

• Rep: -5
« Reply #208 on: August 12, 2017, 01:11:29 PM »
One time i went to Long Beach to stay with a friend. He was like, oh were gonna meet up with my homie chris at LBC. So, we went, and skated with this kid that had super baggy clothing but was killing it. We went skating the next two days while he offered me free weed and cigarettes. He showed us around to some famous spots and was trying crazy tricks down them with no camera and landing them. I got back home and no more than 2 months later, he was in the spot light. It was Chris Joslin.

Another time i took a trip to LA with the finalists of the Best foot forward contest for Zumiez. Once me and my buddy checked into the hotel they provided, we went out skating downtown LA. We came out of an alley and turned and Erik Ellington was right there at the street corner. I figured i might as well say something because i'd regret it, if not. I told him i grew up on baker 3 and all that, and he was hyped and ended up taking my phone and pinning all these spots in the area on my google maps for us to check out. Super nice and went out of his way. Later that night, We went to this bar and i ended up shooting dice with him - he had about 3 girls all around him haha.

Same trip i ended up hanging around Jamie Foy a bunch. We skated a spot with Nyjah, Lizard king, Chris Cole, Axel, and the rest of the Stance team. They were all super cool and i ended up filming all the clips they got at that spot.

Chaz Ortiz skates my local park frequently in chicago and despite my preconceived notions, hes actually a really nice guy. Super respectful and level headed. A lot different than i thought he'd be.

My best friend is Kevin Braun, and he introduced me to Jack Olson, where we proceded to climb on top of the house the party was at, and smoke a joint. Super chill dude. Also introduced me to Ryan Lay, Christian Maloouf, Robbie Brockel, Aaron Goure, and all the other big Az guys. Skated with Robbie and Aaron on multiple occasions after visiting Az alot.

There's alot more but those are the ones that stuck with me. Also they aren't all pros but most likely will be haha.

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
  • illinoying
« Reply #209 on: August 12, 2017, 01:18:39 PM »
shouts out to Chaz for buying me a beverage Thursday night