Author Topic: running into pros  (Read 31425 times)

muntcuscle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 44
Re: running into pros
« Reply #60 on: July 24, 2017, 02:47:08 PM »
Skated with Fred Gall

id put this on my resume
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 02:48:48 PM by muntcuscle »

muntcuscle

« Reply #61 on: July 24, 2017, 02:49:44 PM »
saw Guy at a barber in LA, I was waiting for a cut and he could tell i recognized him. He walked up to me and introduced himself/shook my hand, was kind of stoked

Saw Carroll at an apple store. looked kinda pissed to be there but was wearing some maroon lakai slip-ons that looked good

Saw AO a few times actually, once in a restaurant and a few times walking down the street. gave me a weird look

In NYC i was walking out of a cafe and saw Stobeck walking down e 12th st with sean pablo

all pretty unremarkable, boring stories but i enjoyed it

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #62 on: July 24, 2017, 03:29:08 PM »
i'll share two stories, one i'm ashamed of, one i'm stoked on

first one involves marcus mcbride back in 2010, night time session at the library in SF, i was just catching up with homies there and then we were supposed to go skate and film throughout the whole night, that was when yoan taillandier and leo valls were there to film for the first magenta hill street blues video. so i arrive there, say hi, skate for a while, take a break. then a certain other skater shows up and yoan is like holy shit, that's marcus mcbride ! dude shows up with a massive blunt, smokes half of it then passes it around and proceeds to skate like it's nothing. i watch him skate and the blunt eventually reaches our group and i'm surprised to see noone's really touched it. jimmy lannon is sitting next to me and gets the thing, takes one hit, starts coughing up like crazy (if you've ever been around him, you know that never happens) and passes it over to me right away. so here i am sitting on the corner of the ledge with nearly half a blunt and noone else wants it, so i just go on to smoke the whole thing like it's nothing - marcus mcbride is still killing it in front of me after all so what could go wrong. 15 mins later the whole shit kicks in and i'm absolutely knocked off my shoes, fucking destroyed. can't move my legs, cold sweating, shaking. i was fairly new to smoking weed at the time (started late), but i don't think that was it. never in my life had i been so smashed and the dude in front of me was there doing perfect 360 flips and shit. i waited for what felt like an hour to try and gather my spirits and tried to stand on my board, i usually enjoy skating high but that time felt impossible. everyone started to dip to go film, when i just wanted to go to sleep and hadn't even had a meal in forever so i said fuck it, said good bye, dragged my ass out of there and on the way home i hit up the fucking carl jr's, ordered a fat menu and just sat in there for a while, trying to eat but really probably just looking stupid smearing the greasy shit fries all over my face.

other, better story is a lot more recent and involves teaching yaje popson ollie impossibles and seeing him land his first ones ever in front of me thanks to my tips. dude was genuinely stoked on them too. i've been hyped on that memory like a little kid and waiting for footage of him doing one at a spot to pop up ever since

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2017, 03:42:07 PM »
I saw Chris Dobstaff 12 or 13 years ago at an airport as he was waiting for a flight. Right before they started boarding, I walked up to him and said "Chris Dobstaff?" He looked up from staring down his puffy Osiris shoes and said "yeah, what." At that point I turned around and just walked away without saying anything, since he seemed agitated and I didn't want him to heelflip my head into the ground on some hate crime shit.

I saw Cam'ron in traffic when I was driving around with my old girl on the South Fork. Since Dipset had a board out on DGK around this time, I'd say this counts. I rolled my window down and asked him how the king of NY was wearing open toed sandals with jeans, and he said "I can smell your cologne from here nigga, you wearing Dro For Men tonight too?" We then parted ways forthright and without explanation, and my friend still has the Dipset x DGK board at his mom's house.

One time, I saw Ronnie Creager at an old skate shop that used to exist on Long Island called Special Sauce. Him and some Asian dude were watching a skateboard video, and they were both trying to call the tricks that people were going to do before they did them, and you could tell Ronnie had already seen the video. I think it was the newest 411 that was out at the time. It was funny, because the Asian man was looking at him like he was some sort of skate video watching champion because Ronnie was calling out tricks before guys were even setting up for them. I was 13 at the time, and I couldn't tell who the Asian man was; it definitely wasn't Gideon Choi, because he was there in another room. My friend told me to get him to autograph something to see who he was, and I gave him this old Blind hat that my friend was wearing. He signed it with a fucking box with a line at the top. This Asian man will forever be an unidentified mystery in my eyes, and I question if he even really existed sometimes.

Those are the only stories that I have that have any sort of context besides "I saw this guy here, and nothing else noteworthy happened." That list would be too long, and too boring/ forgettable.

At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

jomeara1

« Reply #64 on: July 24, 2017, 04:07:25 PM »
Saw Bam, Johnny Knoxville, and some dude hanging with them at a Wawa in my town real late at night once.  They all seemed pretty hammered and obnoxious.  I steered clear of them.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2017, 04:11:16 PM »
Went to Barcelona at the same time as the 2016 streetleague was there. Ran into Eric Bragg at night at placa reial, he bought bought us a sixpack of beer and talked to us for a while. Told us he was there to be some kind of mentor to Joslin.

Later at the club we also ran into Ishod, Evan Smith, KB and Nyjah etc. Most of the guys were cool and on fire but when we went to talk to Nyjah who was standing alone he looked pretty bored and only gave us short answers, did not seem very interested. Anyway it was cool to see all of those guys.

humble bragg

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2017, 04:12:45 PM »
saw Guy at a barber in LA, I was waiting for a cut and he could tell i recognized him. He walked up to me and introduced himself/shook my hand, was kind of stoked

Saw Carroll at an apple store. looked kinda pissed to be there but was wearing some maroon lakai slip-ons that looked good

Saw AO a few times actually, once in a restaurant and a few times walking down the street. gave me a weird look

In NYC i was walking out of a cafe and saw Stobeck walking down e 12th st with sean pablo

was it Rudy's?

there's a modeling shot on the wall there that I'm convinced is Nestor Judkins

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2017, 04:51:39 PM »
After skatin a spot then riding my bike a good distance to skate that one high ledge in HB/Sunset Beach I came up on Andre Genovasi skatin it with a an entourage (he was the only one skatin). There was a maneuver I wanted to try/do but he pretty much shut me down before I started, saying it was his 3rd or 4th time there. Pretty much claimed the ledge for himself cuz he had a dude videotaping it and I didn't... Guess those are the rules in Brazil.

In 2000 or so went up skatin Beverly High with a pre-Baker Herman (he might've been on World flow at the time). After 5minutes a van pulled up and out came Arto, Atiba, Trainwreck, Moul, Evan Hernandez, Ellington, Appleyard, and more.

Arto went right into SS360flips off the 9 and was getting close. I was young n pulled out my video camera to capture it when he proceeded to chew me out. Found out someone poached one of his tricks and put it in their video at the time.

Remember thinkin Trainwreck looks like he just got outta prison.

Mouly tried ollieing the 9 n ate shit like 4 times, chugged a beer then went straight to kickflipping it.

Appleyard got outta the van kicky'ed the 5 then front boarded the 9 first go. Went right back up, told whoever it was filming he was ready, then first try nollie flip then nollie front board. Later on when Sorry came out I was stoked cuz some friends n I got in the background of that clip.

That day was also the first time Herman grinded somethin really gnarly at the time... the Wilshire 15. He was stoked and I remember him showin the footage to Evan and Evan bein really impressed as well.   

spazz attack

• Rep: -15
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2017, 04:53:47 PM »
Ocean Beach ,you will see Andy mac and shuriken everyday.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2017, 05:55:12 PM »
Tony Hawk passed me when I was leaving the skate park and he didn't use his turn signal.

Hands down Hass out

• Rep: 3
  • 奇妙な滞在
« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2017, 06:11:21 PM »
Skated with Fred Gall and Stefan Janoski a few times in Miami over the years. Fred is a cool dude, so is Stefan. Always was a fun session.

"Where's that rope swing at, mane?!"

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2017, 06:13:22 PM »
Expand Quote
When I lived in Atlanta, the restaurant I worked at was the hot spot for out-of-town teams. The Vans team, sans AVE, Dill, and Rowley, all came by on their last filming trip for Propeller in 2014; the New Balance team came in last fall; and the Quasi team came in several times last October.

Ran into Julien Stranger at a bar when the Vans team was in town in 2014 and I mentioned it to him (thinking he was with them) and he just said "yeah, I heard they were here, super random." So tight.

Bobby Worrest would spend random weeks down there, and one night I gave him a ride to trucker bar karaoke. He sat bitch, which I respect immensely.

Since moving to New York, beyond seeing people at the obvious hangouts, Alexis Sablone came into my work with a significant other the day I started; I saw Cyrus Bennett and Fat Bill cruising down Canal and Delancey, respectively; I passed Pete from Bronze trying to ride a bike with two girls on it last Friday in Brooklyn; and I walked by Popps in Union Square the other day.
[close]

what restaurant in atlanta? going down thursday.
Highland Bakery, on the bridge over Freedom Parkway.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

muntcuscle

« Reply #72 on: July 24, 2017, 06:28:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

was it Rudy's?

there's a modeling shot on the wall there that I'm convinced is Nestor Judkins

it was at Baxter Finley on la cienega

doyle

• Rep: 210
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2017, 06:46:54 PM »
blake johnson told me to fuck off at a photo show in LA when i put my hand on his back and said "excuse me" because he was blocking a corridor.

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 787
« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2017, 07:17:25 PM »
a few that stick out over the years:

went to Barcelona with the shop I used to skate for, and ended up at a spot with Kalis and a bunch of the Habitat team.  a ton of cops rolled up out of nowhere and took all of our boards, arrested Stefan Janowski, and somehow Kalis talked them into giving him whatever was left of his focused board back.  He said something about not wanting to break in new trucks (he actually rode Silvers while he was sponsored by them).  He ended up back at the place we were staying at (his filmer in Barcy made the videos for the shop I rode for).  Didn't fan out or anything, but Kalis has always been one of my favorites.  I was kind of Ethan Fowlered out at the time, and I was kind of bummed that he probably thought I was a kook. Still, pretty cool sitting in the corner listening to Kalis stories and watching footage.  

I lived in SF for a while so I ran into most early 2000's pros that were around that time.   Van was always really cool.  Most of the time people you think would be dicks were cool, and vice versa.  I was skating Junipero Serra one day when the Habitat dudes showed up and got cool guyed by Danny Renaud pretty hard.  I think I actually told him "what, you can't say hello back to someone youre skating a spot with" like a tough guy.  Saw Busenitz there a bunch.  Junipero Serra was my favorite spot of all time. I showed up there one day the whole Pig team was skating.  You could practically see the dirt all over them from the road, so I got back in the car and left.  NExt weekend the ripped the spot out and I never got to skate it again.  Always regret not skating there one last time.

A friend and I went out to San Diego on an ill fated trip to stay with Justin Roy when he first moved out there and got sponsored.   Greg Harris was hanging with him and quickly determined that we were not cool enough.  The next day we end up skating with Markovich.  We go to a kind of lame spot, Justin and Markovich focus their boards in anger, and we head back to the house.  We're used to skating all day every day at that time, so my friend asks "what are we gonna be a bunch of pussies, or are we gonna skate some more"? For some reason,Markovich took it as my friend calling him a pussy and got in his face.  i thought they were gonna fight.  We got back to the house and we were 86'd.  Stuck in San Diego for a month with no where to stay.  Kind of my first California wake up call seeing all the high school cool-guy shit that goes down in that world.  We worked it out and found a place to stay and had fun skating on our own, so no big deal in the end.  It sucked meeting Markovich under those circumstances.  He was kind of a regional hero, so that wasn't what I expected.  Hearing him complain about getting ripped off by spitfire and other companies was a bummer too.  seemed like these dudes had zero fun skating.  My friend could be pretty annoying, so not totally putting the blame on those guys
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 07:20:39 PM by augustmoon »
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2017, 09:07:19 PM »
I saw Cam'ron in traffic when I was driving around with my old girl on the South Fork. Since Dipset had a board out on DGK around this time, I'd say this counts. I rolled my window down and asked him how the king of NY was wearing open toed sandals with jeans, and he said "I can smell your cologne from here nigga, you wearing Dro For Men tonight too?" We then parted ways forthright and without explanation, and my friend still has the Dipset x DGK board at his mom's house.
ahahaha fuckin gold

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Grampa

• Rep: 143
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2017, 09:43:31 PM »
Josh Kasper slipped out on a 360 flip over a pyramid and his board gave my buddy a fucking horrendous shinner that I heard from halfway across the park. I'm still haunted by that sound.

I've also ran into Chad Fernandez and Colt Cannon. I feel like there are more but those are the cool ones.

Mystical Leader

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #77 on: July 25, 2017, 01:01:25 AM »
I once saw Kenny Reed take a piss in the bushes. Our eyes met for a brief second, it was a beautiful summer night.

HyenaChaser

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2017, 01:22:15 AM »
I was in LA over the weekend and saw Atiba and Nuge walking around the artist lounge.

I met Daniel Shimizu once when he was in Seattle, he was on a street corner on his phone and I walked by, made a realization, turned around and asked "Are you Daniel Shimizu?" He looked at me puzzled for a sec then smiled and shook my hand. I just said "Props dude, really like your skating," then walked away.
You know I thought these forums were a for skating not discussing fetishes

arthurspooner

• Rep: 9
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2017, 06:24:46 AM »
in high school a few friends and i were skating some dinky little ledge in downtown la and jim greco pulled up to the side of us in his cadillac and started chatting with us for a few minutes. he was really nice. kept saying he wished he had his board with him so he could skate with us.

on my 12th birthday i went to chino skatepark. the parked was super crowded and when i was little i was super nervous to skate in front of people. ed templeton was skating there though. i believe he was filming for kids in emerica. went back tot he car. turns out he was parked right next to us. so i wanted to say hi. he was awesome. drew me a picture on the back of my little award i got from school. also complimented a backside 5-0 i did... oh, saw nyjah there once too.

marquise henry and josh kalis showed up to skate this school in corona that we were sessioning. they weirdly enough didnt even really acknowledge us.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2017, 06:39:02 AM »
Josh Kasper slipped out on a 360 flip over a pyramid and his board gave my buddy a fucking horrendous shinner that I heard from halfway across the park. I'm still haunted by that sound.

I've also ran into Chad Fernandez and Colt Cannon. I feel like there are more but those are the cool ones.

And I thought my Chris Dobstaff run in was noteworthy, you sir have the market cornered when it comes to cool pro sightings.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2017, 09:02:34 AM »
I went to Neen and his girlfriend's yard sale over the weekend. Got some spitfires and shoes for 15 bucks, solid deal!
We're both from the Chicago area, so I've seen him a bunch over the years.

My last apartment was in the same complex, and across from the Birdhouse filmer's place. Clint Walker was staying with him for a while, and some of the team would meet up there to go skate. Kind of didn't want to try be "that dude", but we chatted it up sometimes and Clint gave us his extra boards he didn't want. 

OnSlapAtWork

• Rep: 16
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2017, 09:28:27 AM »
I went to Neen and his girlfriend's yard sale over the weekend. Got some spitfires and shoes for 15 bucks, solid deal!
We're both from the Chicago area, so I've seen him a bunch over the years.

My last apartment was in the same complex, and across from the Birdhouse filmer's place. Clint Walker was staying with him for a while, and some of the team would meet up there to go skate. Kind of didn't want to try be "that dude", but we chatted it up sometimes and Clint gave us his extra boards he didn't want. 

That made me remember my birdhouse one.

I was skating at Denver skatepark last summer one afternoon.  I saw this older silver haired dude skating around who looked crazy familiar.  Eventually I brought it up with a friend and we thought it might be Jason Hernandez.  At some point he was pretty close and paused for a second so I just asked "Hey are you Jason Hernandez?" and he replied with a friendly yea.  We chatted for a brief moment, he was in town filming the birdhouse team.  I told him he was a really great filmer and he said thanks.

Later that night I was at our local bar and saw Clint Walker and Clive Dixon.  Talked with Clint at the bar for a sec, he was surprisingly friendly.  He was wearing a Shaqueefa shirt and trying really hard to hit on girls.

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2017, 09:42:56 AM »
Ran into Gerwer a few weeks ago, hung out and shot the shit for a little while. We talked about shooting the twinkie at burnside, coffin-style.
I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

Bronson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2017, 03:21:53 PM »
i'll share two stories, one i'm ashamed of, one i'm stoked on

first one involves marcus mcbride back in 2010, night time session at the library in SF, i was just catching up with homies there and then we were supposed to go skate and film throughout the whole night, that was when yoan taillandier and leo valls were there to film for the first magenta hill street blues video. so i arrive there, say hi, skate for a while, take a break. then a certain other skater shows up and yoan is like holy shit, that's marcus mcbride ! dude shows up with a massive blunt, smokes half of it then passes it around and proceeds to skate like it's nothing. i watch him skate and the blunt eventually reaches our group and i'm surprised to see noone's really touched it. jimmy lannon is sitting next to me and gets the thing, takes one hit, starts coughing up like crazy (if you've ever been around him, you know that never happens) and passes it over to me right away. so here i am sitting on the corner of the ledge with nearly half a blunt and noone else wants it, so i just go on to smoke the whole thing like it's nothing - marcus mcbride is still killing it in front of me after all so what could go wrong. 15 mins later the whole shit kicks in and i'm absolutely knocked off my shoes, fucking destroyed. can't move my legs, cold sweating, shaking. i was fairly new to smoking weed at the time (started late), but i don't think that was it. never in my life had i been so smashed and the dude in front of me was there doing perfect 360 flips and shit. i waited for what felt like an hour to try and gather my spirits and tried to stand on my board, i usually enjoy skating high but that time felt impossible. everyone started to dip to go film, when i just wanted to go to sleep and hadn't even had a meal in forever so i said fuck it, said good bye, dragged my ass out of there and on the way home i hit up the fucking carl jr's, ordered a fat menu and just sat in there for a while, trying to eat but really probably just looking stupid smearing the greasy shit fries all over my face.

other, better story is a lot more recent and involves teaching yaje popson ollie impossibles and seeing him land his first ones ever in front of me thanks to my tips. dude was genuinely stoked on them too. i've been hyped on that memory like a little kid and waiting for footage of him doing one at a spot to pop up ever since
The Marcus McBride story was really great. Amazing.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2017, 03:45:22 PM »
I turned a corner in New York and collided with Cairo Foster, who was turning the same corner going the opposite direction. I think he was still on Real at the time. We both said excuse me and kept walking.

I gave another pro a scar on his face.

fulltechnicalskizzy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1936
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2017, 03:48:07 PM »
Ashod

norrin radd

• Rep: -1
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2017, 03:53:50 PM »
Lizard King at Whole Foods shopping with his daughter

Salman Agah at a vegan Mexican restaurant. He sat next to me at the bar and we chatted. Cool dude.

Neen Williams at same restaurant. Sat at table over from me with a lady friend. Don't think they said much to each other, they were both on their phones constantly.

Aaron Meza on flight back from the bay to LA. I was wearing a 4star hat. I think he noticed it but his face didn't reveal if he thought I was down or a kook

Cardiel, Joey Tershay and Jovantae Turner sat next to me at lunch. When they left Cards  forgot his phone. I took it to him, told them I recognized them and they were super cool. Threw a shout out as they drove away.

Lizard King, Nuge and maybe some others at a Metz show. They stank.

2004 Pappalardo at Macba (expected). 2005 Papallardo walking down the street in Chelsea NYC. Flew from LA to see a girl and met her at her work. As I got there Pops was walking towards me with board in hand. And that time I think he was just maybe getting on Chocolate and he had a SJ board. Felt like I was insider to know he was on Chocolate before the general public in the pre social media days

Koston, also getting a haircut. Rudy's Silver Lake

Danny Garcia at Belle and Sebastian show

Dill crossing the street on Fairfax and Beverly so many times at night

Nick Tershay out at the club in 2006 or 2007. I asked him if he knew anything about the Lakai video, not sure why. I think this was pre Nick Diamond days

Some older ones are kinda fading.

Numerous other skate related sightings most notably AVE, Koston, Carroll and Jereme Rogers at Belmont filming/shooting photos with Scuba, Atiba and Ty. That was so sick. I think this was before Yeah Right came out because Koston was trying the fakie tre down the 9 line. Got close but didn't make it. After a try where he stuck the tre but didn't roll away some of those there clapped/cheered but he yelled out "Do you have any idea how annoying that is?!!?" What a dick

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2017, 03:56:10 PM »
I ran into Mike Carroll checking out a flat gap in Berlin today. It was rainy, he was with a German skate photographer and he did not have a board with him. He had a large bottle of water (non-sparkling) in his left hand. He was wearing a yellow t-shirt and baggy blue cargo pants. It was the highlight of my day.

calvinsdream

« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2017, 04:00:14 PM »
Tony Hawk passed me when I was leaving the skate park and he didn't use his turn signal.

Don't tell Berra