Author Topic: Evidence for God  (Read 51417 times)

Simon Woodstock

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -35
    • Nowhere avatar image
Re: Evidence for God
« Reply #180 on: September 15, 2017, 03:56:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Then once you've convinced me of the existence of the Christian God, we can start talking about if the Christian God is good or moral for any reason other than declaring himself to be so. (Spoiler: he is not.)

[close]

By what standard would you be basing/determining the Christian God to be either moral (i.e., good) or not moral (i.e., evil)?

[close]

The standard is the Bible in which he commands his followers to slaughter other people and covilzations merelt  they don't follow or believe in the Juseo-Christian god. That's not what I think a moral or just person would do because I don't think that bigotry is a moral standing.

I am willing to get to the other challenges you raise, but first, again, by what standard are you saying that the God of the Bible is immoral?

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #181 on: September 15, 2017, 04:00:31 PM »
this is prolly gonna sound dumb, do bare in mind i am two 40z deep but i always thought if there were a god that we exist inside of it, kind of like how all the cells in our bodies make us. maybe we're the good and bad voices inside it's head and maybe it's a great awareness we live in.

This view you present is not dumb at all. Its a form of Pantheism, the view that everything is God and humans exist inside of that context as part of the overall God-scheme. Some major world religions hold to it as well as prominent philosophers, etc.

I personally think there are problems with the view, but its not dumb. I actually understand how someone could believe it.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #182 on: September 15, 2017, 04:04:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
guess computers have souls and also prove the existence of god

disabled comments because that guys a pussy
[close]

Computers are programmed, which proves they have a programer.  This has illustrative purposes in that just as the complex information in computers has been programmed, so has the complex DNA in biological life been programmed by an intelligent programmer.

Also, minds (such as in humans) would necessarily come to be (that is, have been caused to exist) by an uncaused Mind, that is God.
[close]

By your own logic, why don't you just believe that the whole universe (that is everything you believe to exist) isn't just a complex simulation/program? Wouldn't that make more logical sense than some fairy tale/santa claus ...
[close]

Well, who programmed the program/simulation, then? There would have to be a programmer (i.e., God). that is the point of the illustration, and, it is valid.
[close]

I get the illustration, but it doesn't make sense because we know in the bible that it says the earth, heavens and man, were created by God in a very specific manner..and at this point, knowing what we know about how the world around us works, it just doesn't seem logical or believable at all.

A more believable 'creator' scenario .. The cosmos was created ie:simulated, by a team of programmers. They based the simulation on the world around them (which is also a simulation, previously created). And so.. we live inside one of a seemingly infinite number of embedded simulations.  Your God is simply a story told inside that simulation. Eventually perhaps we will have the knowledge and technology to create yet another expanding, evolving universe simulation, very similar to the one we live in.

I am not saying that this is what i believe, I am saying it's more believable than the Christian God explanation.

Just about any scenario that is presented like this does not account for a first principle or cause. Where did the programmers come from, etc. etc. etc.?

This is precisely why I hold to the Christian worldview, as the first principle issue is settled in the very first verse of the Bible. "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1

And, the claim of Genesis 1:1 is supported by logic, science, and philosophy.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #183 on: September 15, 2017, 04:08:16 PM »
Expand Quote

1. It doesn't really take a a lot of physics to understand that if the earth were under 100,000 years old, we wouldn't be able to see objects in space that are millions(+) light years away from us. The light wouldn't have made it here yet. Hell, that's simply basic astronomy, that's not even considering other scientific disciplines like geology and archaeology, among others.

2. Humanism is a personal philosophy... as far as a being a materialist, I tend to lean towards all observable things being based on particles directly (like matter), or fields (like gravity, as the existence of gravitons {a proposed particle responsible for gravity} still has yet to graduate into a full on scientific theory). Also, if we're talking about *everything* in the cosmos, the issue of dark matter and dark energy (which really needs a new label) come into play... we can observe the effects of both. I tend to lean towards dark matter being particle based, and dark energy being similar, though the particles may not have mass, but to that, it's strictly conjecture.

I wouldn't classify my understanding as "materialist" so much as I would better identify as a naturalist.
[close]

Expand Quote
Fair enough, but you missed my points on General Relativity and time dilation. There are two ways that the travel of starlight can be explained according to Genesis. One is that they are simply age dating factors, that is, put in place with the appearance of age (much like how Adam and Eve were created as grown humans, trees were created as fully matured rather than seeds, etc.).

Nevertheless, I don't think creationists are necessarily locked into this box at all. According to General Relativity and in further accordance with the attending time dilation, before day 3 in Genesis 1, the heavens were being 'stretched out' by God, and, just as we see different gravitational pulls in the Universe today, these pulls would have a direct effect on how time was being meaded out in the earliest stages of the universe.

In short, 100,000 years or less passed here on earth during the Genesis creation week, but the time out in the early Universe as it was being stretched out and formed was (and still is) relative to the local gravitational pulls of the cosmos and came forth in much longer stretches of time based on Relativity.

There is obviously a lot more to explain here (and I can spell out my further understanding of the model, if you are interested).

But, what is problematic is the Big Bang model of origins (especially outside of the context of Genesis as a guide). The two problems that come to mind are the impossibility of a valid naturalistic explanation for a cosmic singularity that would bring all time, matter, and space into existence out of nothing. And how, since there is much inhomogeneous clumping of galaxies together this counters the uniformity of distribution that would be present if the Big Bang were true. That is, if the Big Bang model were correct, the galaxies would not be in clumps but would rather have homogenous distribution throughout the universe. This Galaxy clustering (and many other factors) are evidence against the purported uniformed 'cosmological principle' that the Big Bang model relies on. If these cannot be answered, then folks are simply assuming the Big Bang model to be true without supporting its claims.

I am open to hear any explanations you may have for these (and other problems) with Big Bang cosmology. And, conversely, I am hoping that you would be willing to look further into the Relativity/Time-dilation Genesis model put forth by noted particle physicists, D. Russel Humphries:

Here is the briefest summarization of this cosmology that i am aware of:

The bottom line (in my understanding)m is that the Bible is true as far as origins are concerned, and Humphries' model not only coincides with Einstein's' theories of Relativity, but also coincides and affirms the Bible that says:

"He alone stretches out the heavens and treads on the waves of the sea." Job 9:8

(PS: Thank you for cracking the door open further on this aspect of discussion, I would love to continue as time permits. Have a good weekend, BTW)
[close]

Billionths of a second after the "big bang," the universe as it was at the time was pretty homogenous. Galaxies and most elements came millions of years later, as stars started from the beginning of the periodic table and eventually gave rise to more elemental/chemically complex nuclear reactors. With that, we saw the development of various localized gravitational fields that account for everything from solar systems to galaxy clusters (completely consistent with thermodynamics).

To think that the universe poofed into existence with the various types of stars fully formed (close to Earth), then stretched out, pulling stars away from the Earth, just doesn't make any sense (as Humphreys goes into). While there is cosmic expansion, what you and he are actually proposing is that everything was stretched way from this planet at a speed faster than light, and we're essentially looking at things in space the way we predict we'd see things on a black hole's event horizon (the holographic principle). It doesn't make sense that everything would be pulled away from everything else so quickly from this planet, then slowed down into the current rate of cosmic expansion (an expansion that does go faster than the speed of light outside of the observable universe, coinciding with relativity). If the supernatural "stretching" had occurred (using time dilation), our daytime and nighttime sky would be blindingly flooded with light.

His "timeless zone" hypothesis is frankly insane. He's twisting logic like a pretzel... he's saying that the stars moved away at the speed of light (which would have taken billions of years), but also claiming that there was no time, ignoring the fact that space and time are intertwined. I'd also add that his idea that the universe being geocentric is utter rubbish. Space expands at every point, not just away from our planet. If we were at any other location in space, we'd see the same relative expansion, and we'd see it expand exponentially until that space (beyond the visible universe) reached a relative speed faster than light.

The problem with pseudo-academic creationists is that hypotheses have to be force-fit into a presupposition, up to the point that the respective hypothesis becomes so convoluted and absurd that it invalidates itself. If you ignore the scientific method, it's not science at all.

This depth of conversation takes time and effort, but I think it is a fruitful discussion. I printed out your response, I will carefully re-read it and consider your points, and then respond when I can put the needed time into having a clear and better understanding of where you are coming from. Thanks for checking out Humphries BTW.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #184 on: September 15, 2017, 04:19:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Thanks for your thoughtful response. I simply think it is inconsistent to be vegan/vegetarian and also be pro-abortion. You have indicated that you also see the inconsistency there.

Nevertheless, the handful of arguments that you have put forth that would support abortion are, in my understanding, mostly suspect.
[close]
Well if you look at my own personal actions and behaviors then you'll see that I actually AM consistent. Case in point: when I found out my wife had fallen pregnant I certainly wasn't ready for parenthood (for a plethora of reasons) and neither was she, we talked about the issue at great length though and seeing as that we are both vegan/ pro-animal rights, we decided not to abort because it would be an unnecessary death that neither of us needed to cause (it was also ended up being the best thing that ever happened to us). In this case, we didn't terminate and in our daily lives we choose not to consume animal products and thus are consistent in our actions no?
Now, do I believe the world should be forced to go vegan? Absolutely not, the same way I don't believe every fertilized human ovary needs to be forced into the world. I brought up rape, incest and a few other valid exceptions to the rule in my initial post, do you honestly believe that women who are raped should be forced to give birth to that child? If so, I'd love to hear your justifications on that one...

Expand Quote
The 'woman's body' argument fails because from the time of conception, a fertilized ovum is its own 46 chromosomal entity, and it therefore its very own person (i.e., it is not the woman/mother, and, in about 50% of the cases its actually a male).
And, the judicial laws and rules of societal behavior in general also apply to women, so authorities and other citizens tell women (and men) what to do all the time, such as obey traffic laws, or pay your bill at a restaurant, etc. So people tell women what to do with their 'bodies' and lives every day without any controversy. The point being that it is unfounded to just pull that argument out of the hat and try to apply it to so-called abortion rights.
Even more to this point, it was a bunch of men on the supreme court that ruled in favor of abortion in the Roe v. Wade decision, thus it was men telling women that they could subject their bodies (as well as the bodies of the unborn) to abortion procedures. Where is the cry of injustice of men telling women what they can do via Roe v. Wade? There obviously isn't any cry against this. Which is just another example of the inconsistency of the line of argument you are referencing.
[close]
ok great, I actually learnt something + I think your argument is pretty solid here (do note though that paying bills, obeying traffic laws etc. AREN'T gender specific whereas the ability to decide what to do with your womb is), but again, what are you going to do in the case of rape/ incest/ possible death of the mother due to child birth? In your personal opinion why do you think Roe v. Wade case ended up ruling in favor of abortion? I don't think you can 100% blanket this issue hence why I'm pro-choice or TLDR:

Expand Quote
Pro-choice isn't the same thing as pro-abortion.
[close]
basically this x1000! Personally I wouldn't choose to abort in (99% of) cases that involved my family, like I wouldn't personally choose to eat meat, but I understand that not every situation is that black/ white.

Expand Quote
Another thing, to attempt to dismiss (although I do realize and appreciate that you are being respectful in this dialogue) my arguments as being outdated because they are Christian (and thus have a tether to ancient times) is actually a logical fallacy. It is called a 'chronological fallacy' and presumes that old truth claims cannot be true because they are old. And, it presumes that all new (or newer) truth claims are by default true (or truer) than the old. This is simply not the cause, a statement can be old or new and be either true or false, based on whether or not the claim accurately expresses the facts of the world.
[close]
Again, fine, I wasn't claiming that ALL of your beliefs are not true because they are old, but you specifically made a call out on user: GAY saying he, or other homosexuals, could be "cured" or some shit. That is an outdated mode of thinking and I'm going to call you on your shit when you say things like this!

Expand Quote
What is more, to claim that I am not an 'out of the box thinker' is aimed more at me than my arguments, and doesn't really directly address the logic (or purported ill-logic) of what I am saying.  
[close]
It was more just some advice to you mate, I know this is your fight now but if you stay too locked in your confirmation bias bubble I think you're going to find it that much harder to convince people of your actual "message". Of course overly emotional vegans also suffer the same fate, funny that...

Expand Quote
Notwithstanding, I personally think you are in a decent spot as far as the consistency of your views on diet/abortion go. But, I would say that it would be good to consider the pro-life argument further.

Just about every argument in favor of abortion can be refuted by the means of establishing the human personhood of the unborn from the time of conception.
[close]

Okay let's pretend for a second I am 100% on board with you as a pro-lifer (and I've actually demonstrated this through my actions), you still haven't outlined why you think it's justifiable for humans to needlessly slaughter 60 billion sentient creatures every year when one your god's most famous teachings is "thou shall not kill". thou is killing no?
Please indicate the trait that unborn fetuses possess, and that animals lack, that make you so adamant about protecting the life of one and not the other!
Just about every argument in favor of eating meat can be refuted with a simple discussion of ethics ;)

Fair enough. With the emotionally hard cases such as rape or incest, this is where the human personhood of the fetus is even more important. If the fetus is, in fact, a precious unborn human person (which I believe science and philosophy demonstrate) then there is no justifiable reason to kill it. Why punish the innocent child for the crime of the rapist? Also, a lot of times what is not discussed is the unavoidable psychological scars that abortion leaves on the mother. Why lump the additional depression causing trauma on someone who has been raped? As difficult as such situations are, there is still to positive justification for abortion.

As far as abstinence from meat products goes, I am not fundamentally against refraining from meat/dairy consumption and I support a persons free speech right to disseminate information in those regards.

Nevertheless, since you referenced the Bible, I am willing to present a biblical case for the allowance of eating meat (if that would be of interest to you).

Also, if you don't mind me asking, are you by any chance Buddhist?

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #185 on: September 15, 2017, 04:22:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Then once you've convinced me of the existence of the Christian God, we can start talking about if the Christian God is good or moral for any reason other than declaring himself to be so. (Spoiler: he is not.)

[close]

By what standard would you be basing/determining the Christian God to be either moral (i.e., good) or not moral (i.e., evil)?

[close]

The standard is the Bible in which he commands his followers to slaughter other people and covilzations merelt  they don't follow or believe in the Juseo-Christian god. That's not what I think a moral or just person would do because I don't think that bigotry is a moral standing.

[close]

I am willing to get to the other challenges you raise, but first, again, by what standard are you saying that the God of the Bible is immoral?

Or, more precisely, by what standard are you saying that the Bible's representation is that of an immoral God?

QueeferMadness

• Rep: -343
  • Don't Fear The Queefer
« Reply #186 on: September 15, 2017, 04:41:23 PM »

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #187 on: September 16, 2017, 12:44:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Woodstock, what do you have to say about the discipline of paleoanthropology which deals with archaic human fossils from neanderthals, denisovans, erectus, sediba, australopithecus, ardipithecus and others? According to scientists in that field, our species has been around at least 250,000 years. Anyone who studies evolution would say the earth has been supporting life for far longer than creationists believe.
[close]

In short, much of this purported paleontological evidence is suspect. and there has been a book authored called "Bones of Contention" that refutes the work done in this field that has been used to try to support evolution. If you would be willing to read the book, I would buy you a copy and send it to your house (PM me if interested and/or please do continue to put forth purported evidences in this regard).

Bottom line, evolutionary paleontologists go into their research with the presupposition that humans evolved from apes over millions of years, so they simply crunch their data to support their presuppositions (Note: presuppositions are unavoidable when doing research, but the evolutionary presuppositions continue to go unsupported, but rather 'shouted' by evolutionary scientists in spite of the evidence)

Fossils of ancient hominin species are still being found. The story of Homo naledi, whose bones were found a couple years ago, might be interesting to you: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/05/homo-naledi-human-evolution-science/

Also, evolutionary geneticists have been sequencing genomes of ancient species and finding out that human evolution also involved hybridization of Homo sapiens with extinct human groups such as Neanderthals and Denisovans. DNA testing of modern humans has borne this out. There is proof of evolution in your genes.

Paleontologists go into their research assuming evolution is true because everything they've learned has proven it to be. And until some massive trove of evidence and research comes along that proves it is wrong, they will continue to do their research in this way. I don't see anything wrong with that. It seems you approach any materials about evolution with the belief that it's false when you have far less of a basis for thinking that than these researchers have for believing it's a solid theory with a large body of research to support it.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #188 on: September 16, 2017, 09:10:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Computers are programmed, which proves they have a programer.  This has illustrative purposes in that just as the complex information in computers has been programmed, so has the complex DNA in biological life been programmed by an intelligent programmer.

Also, minds (such as in humans) would necessarily come to be (that is, have been caused to exist) by an uncaused Mind, that is God.
[close]

By your own logic, why don't you just believe that the whole universe (that is everything you believe to exist) isn't just a complex simulation/program? Wouldn't that make more logical sense than some fairy tale/santa claus ...
[close]

Well, who programmed the program/simulation, then? There would have to be a programmer (i.e., God). that is the point of the illustration, and, it is valid.
[close]

I get the illustration, but it doesn't make sense because we know in the bible that it says the earth, heavens and man, were created by God in a very specific manner..and at this point, knowing what we know about how the world around us works, it just doesn't seem logical or believable at all.

A more believable 'creator' scenario .. The cosmos was created ie:simulated, by a team of programmers. They based the simulation on the world around them (which is also a simulation, previously created). And so.. we live inside one of a seemingly infinite number of embedded simulations.  Your God is simply a story told inside that simulation. Eventually perhaps we will have the knowledge and technology to create yet another expanding, evolving universe simulation, very similar to the one we live in.

I am not saying that this is what i believe, I am saying it's more believable than the Christian God explanation.
[close]

Just about any scenario that is presented like this does not account for a first principle or cause. Where did the programmers come from, etc. etc. etc.?

This is precisely why I hold to the Christian worldview, as the first principle issue is settled in the very first verse of the Bible. "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1

Dude, Genesis 1:1 doesn't account for first principle or cause. Where did god come from?
Does god believe in god? ..not himself, but does god believe in a higher power?

also super honest question..Is there any part of you that thinks Jesus might have just been a super charismatic cult leader?

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #189 on: September 18, 2017, 07:55:08 AM »
maybe this has been brought up, and maybe this is a dumb question, but were other humans besides Adam and Eve created by god, or did the entire human race come two people? If it were just Adam and Eve, that's where I've gotta call bullshit.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:10:41 AM by JB »

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #190 on: September 18, 2017, 09:39:41 AM »
maybe this has been brought up, and maybe this is a dumb question, but we're other humans besides Adam and Eve created by god, or did the entire human race come two people? If it were just Adam and Eve, that's where I've gotta call bullshit.

I don't know any of that shit and I went to CCD school and did all the church shit growing up. There's this nice little commandant though that's basically in every religion and it basically says treat others how you would want to be treated. Strange how no one follows that when they are huge religious freaks

Pigeon

« Reply #191 on: September 18, 2017, 05:11:38 PM »
maybe this has been brought up, and maybe this is a dumb question, but were other humans besides Adam and Eve created by god, or did the entire human race come two people? If it were just Adam and Eve, that's where I've gotta call bullshit.
It's definitely bullshit, but at the same time, it takes a couple generations of inbreeding for genetic defects. In no way am I condoning incest, for any of you that may be into your siblings or cousins.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -83
« Reply #192 on: September 18, 2017, 05:38:17 PM »
Seven pages of no evidence. Tight thread Simon. You still in SJ?
you never know about pre-cum 

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #193 on: September 18, 2017, 05:55:34 PM »
I wonder if you died and went to heaven and God said, "Your thread 'Evidence for God' on SLAP actually turned people away from me," would you still get an E for effort, NT for nice try? Would God take into account that you meant well, even though your actions actually sent some people to the eternal lake of fire, where the rending of clothes, gnashing of teeth and unquenchable thirst would consume them forever?

Pigeon

« Reply #194 on: September 18, 2017, 07:17:21 PM »
I wonder if you died and went to heaven and God said, "Your thread 'Evidence for God' on SLAP actually turned people away from me," would you still get an E for effort, NT for nice try? Would God take into account that you meant well, even though your actions actually sent some people to the eternal lake of fire, where the rending of clothes, gnashing of teeth and unquenchable thirst would consume them forever?
Heaven is kind of like Amway, so he's only going to get silver level, at best, where there's a shitty, all-you-can-eat, Chinese buffet. He's not going to get in the platinum or diamond level, where he can play Twister with Nixon and Pope John Paul II.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #195 on: September 18, 2017, 08:17:16 PM »
There's nothing shitty about Chinese buffet.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #196 on: September 18, 2017, 09:04:04 PM »
You've never been to Wang's Smorge then... My Grandfather, as wise as he was, had terrible taste in Chinese food.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/wangs-smorge-modesto

Pigeon

« Reply #197 on: September 18, 2017, 09:12:57 PM »
I guess you've never seen roaches in a restaurant, or had low-quality, Chinese food.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #198 on: September 19, 2017, 01:10:22 AM »
I like how Friday is Simon's day to come on SLAP and simply go nuts on his keyboard, props to you for trying to be in multiple debates at once mate...

Fair enough. With the emotionally hard cases such as rape or incest, this is where the human personhood of the fetus is even more important. If the fetus is, in fact, a precious unborn human person (which I believe science and philosophy demonstrate) then there is no justifiable reason to kill it. Why punish the innocent child for the crime of the rapist? Also, a lot of times what is not discussed is the unavoidable psychological scars that abortion leaves on the mother. Why lump the additional depression causing trauma on someone who has been raped? As difficult as such situations are, there is still to positive justification for abortion.
I don't think either of us are in any position to be able to judge what is best for ALL women in the case of rape mate; I would argue that each person deals with the trauma in a different way and thus forcing them to go down either path is a violation of basic human rights. To use your own arguments against you: why punish a woman who has already been raped? why lump the additional depression causing trauma (not to mention financial burden) on someone who has been raped?
I'd also like you to get some female input here bro because it's all fine and dandy when two dudes are chatting on a skate message board but could you seriously look your mother/ wife/ sister/ female friends etc. straight in the face and say, "well I'm sorry you got raped but you've got to have this baby because ... (wait for it) ... there is still no positive justification for abortion" ?
c'mon man, for someone whose religion preaches love and respect for their fellow (wo)man, that stance certainly lacks a lot of empathy from your camp.
Also, you failed to touch on the whole mother's health thing, but if I suddenly came to know that my wife's life would be in danger because of child birth, I would 100% be in favor of her living vs. her having the child and then passing away. Having said that, I'd also be 100% in favour of accepting her final decision either way because I respect, and love, her as a human being. If you are can't understand where I'm coming from here then I feel our debate is done... sorry, but I can't take you seriously as a religious man (or even as a human in general) as that sounds like the thought process of a psychopath. If I get no reply from you on this particular point, then we are done!

You mentioned science (because we all like to have science on our side right?) but again, I don't think science is on your side here hence why the medical community, in conjunction with the research carried out, have decided on a figure of around week 13 or less for the majority of abortions (91% in case you forgot the stat!). This is long before the fetus develops any sort of sentience/ ability to feel pain.
Is it a living organism? For sure! Does it react to outside stimuli? No doubt, but if you are going to go down that route why aren't you protesting against people who "holocaust" their gardens when mowing the lawn? What about dudes who jack off into tissues? billions of dead organisms right there! precious life tho right?
This is where I feel your argument is shaky at best because if we start the whole "name the trait" game, you're going to have to start standing up for the "death" of a plethora of other non-sentient things that share similar traits to that of an unborn fetus. Sentience is my base-line, what is yours?

As far as abstinence from meat products goes, I am not fundamentally against refraining from meat/dairy consumption and I support a persons free speech right to disseminate information in those regards.
so ... in the case of killing/ consuming animals you're pro-choice then huh? :D I'm going to quote on this one mate, you said it, not me :p

Nevertheless, since you referenced the Bible, I am willing to present a biblical case for the allowance of eating meat (if that would be of interest to you).
You are free to do so but I'm guessing that back then it was a lot easier to justify said actions when we weren't specifically rearing 60 billion animals annually solely for the purpose of slaughtering them (and profiting from said death).
Yes, you can present your biblical case and guess what? I'll probably agree with it in that certain context/ time period but god alone (or something he said hundreds of years ago) is not an infinite excuse for a certain behavior/ action. It's like Halal food, I don't give a fuck how you killed an animal, you still killed it and in my eyes that is going against the very fibre of your religion and any sense of compassion that you claim to have.

Simon, it's 2017, you live in developed country with a massive variety of non-animal based food options available to you, why do YOU specifically still choose to contribute to the death and suffering of sentient beings/ god's creatures when you could EASILY avoid doing so? I want to know your personal justification here not some 1000 year old out of date/ context quote from the bible.
Your god said, "thou shall not kill", it's one of his most famous teachings and yet you contribute to massive amounts of killing with your food choices on the daily when you don't need to. Please outline your reasons for doing so while being strongly opposed to abortion. Again, if you are having trouble with your answer go back to my original question to you:
Please indicate the trait that unborn fetuses possess, and that animals lack, that make you so adamant about protecting the life of one and not the other

not at all, Buddhism also has a terrible track record with hypocrisy in regard to animal rights (not to mention all that pent up homophobia) despite also sharing a "you know, you guys probably shouldn't kill other living things yeah?" mindset.
I don't think fundamentally religions are necessarily evil and I do think that there are some valuable lessons within these texts and teachings, but it becomes very hard to take them seriously when at a base-level most religions preach non-violence and yet their followers are happy to cause unnecessary suffering and violence on a daily basis. I also fail able to comprehend why these type of people are unable to adapt their religions to our current situation(s)/ way of life...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 12:53:08 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

leopard print

• Rep: 12
« Reply #199 on: September 19, 2017, 01:52:30 AM »
re: grass in garden. for most people it's less like holocausting and more like haircutting. just sayin...

don't mean to pick the splinter out of your ear when I've got a log in mine.
I seen a nigga piss over the stall wall into the other toilet, it was so dope.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #200 on: September 19, 2017, 02:05:13 AM »
re: grass in garden. for most people it's less like holocausting and more like haircutting. just sayin...
#plantlivesmatter

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #201 on: September 19, 2017, 08:56:21 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I guess you've never seen roaches in a restaurant, or had low-quality, Chinese food.
Of course I have.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #202 on: September 23, 2017, 01:50:12 PM »
Expand Quote

1. It doesn't really take a a lot of physics to understand that if the earth were under 100,000 years old, we wouldn't be able to see objects in space that are millions(+) light years away from us. The light wouldn't have made it here yet. Hell, that's simply basic astronomy, that's not even considering other scientific disciplines like geology and archaeology, among others.

2. Humanism is a personal philosophy... as far as a being a materialist, I tend to lean towards all observable things being based on particles directly (like matter), or fields (like gravity, as the existence of gravitons {a proposed particle responsible for gravity} still has yet to graduate into a full on scientific theory). Also, if we're talking about *everything* in the cosmos, the issue of dark matter and dark energy (which really needs a new label) come into play... we can observe the effects of both. I tend to lean towards dark matter being particle based, and dark energy being similar, though the particles may not have mass, but to that, it's strictly conjecture.

I wouldn't classify my understanding as "materialist" so much as I would better identify as a naturalist.
[close]

Expand Quote
Fair enough, but you missed my points on General Relativity and time dilation. There are two ways that the travel of starlight can be explained according to Genesis. One is that they are simply age dating factors, that is, put in place with the appearance of age (much like how Adam and Eve were created as grown humans, trees were created as fully matured rather than seeds, etc.).

Nevertheless, I don't think creationists are necessarily locked into this box at all. According to General Relativity and in further accordance with the attending time dilation, before day 3 in Genesis 1, the heavens were being 'stretched out' by God, and, just as we see different gravitational pulls in the Universe today, these pulls would have a direct effect on how time was being meaded out in the earliest stages of the universe.

In short, 100,000 years or less passed here on earth during the Genesis creation week, but the time out in the early Universe as it was being stretched out and formed was (and still is) relative to the local gravitational pulls of the cosmos and came forth in much longer stretches of time based on Relativity.

There is obviously a lot more to explain here (and I can spell out my further understanding of the model, if you are interested).

But, what is problematic is the Big Bang model of origins (especially outside of the context of Genesis as a guide). The two problems that come to mind are the impossibility of a valid naturalistic explanation for a cosmic singularity that would bring all time, matter, and space into existence out of nothing. And how, since there is much inhomogeneous clumping of galaxies together this counters the uniformity of distribution that would be present if the Big Bang were true. That is, if the Big Bang model were correct, the galaxies would not be in clumps but would rather have homogenous distribution throughout the universe. This Galaxy clustering (and many other factors) are evidence against the purported uniformed 'cosmological principle' that the Big Bang model relies on. If these cannot be answered, then folks are simply assuming the Big Bang model to be true without supporting its claims.

I am open to hear any explanations you may have for these (and other problems) with Big Bang cosmology. And, conversely, I am hoping that you would be willing to look further into the Relativity/Time-dilation Genesis model put forth by noted particle physicists, D. Russel Humphries:

Here is the briefest summarization of this cosmology that i am aware of:

The bottom line (in my understanding)m is that the Bible is true as far as origins are concerned, and Humphries' model not only coincides with Einstein's' theories of Relativity, but also coincides and affirms the Bible that says:

"He alone stretches out the heavens and treads on the waves of the sea." Job 9:8

(PS: Thank you for cracking the door open further on this aspect of discussion, I would love to continue as time permits. Have a good weekend, BTW)
[close]

Billionths of a second after the "big bang," the universe as it was at the time was pretty homogenous. Galaxies and most elements came millions of years later, as stars started from the beginning of the periodic table and eventually gave rise to more elemental/chemically complex nuclear reactors. With that, we saw the development of various localized gravitational fields that account for everything from solar systems to galaxy clusters (completely consistent with thermodynamics).

To think that the universe poofed into existence with the various types of stars fully formed (close to Earth), then stretched out, pulling stars away from the Earth, just doesn't make any sense (as Humphreys goes into). While there is cosmic expansion, what you and he are actually proposing is that everything was stretched way from this planet at a speed faster than light, and we're essentially looking at things in space the way we predict we'd see things on a black hole's event horizon (the holographic principle). It doesn't make sense that everything would be pulled away from everything else so quickly from this planet, then slowed down into the current rate of cosmic expansion (an expansion that does go faster than the speed of light outside of the observable universe, coinciding with relativity). If the supernatural "stretching" had occurred (using time dilation), our daytime and nighttime sky would be blindingly flooded with light.

His "timeless zone" hypothesis is frankly insane. He's twisting logic like a pretzel... he's saying that the stars moved away at the speed of light (which would have taken billions of years), but also claiming that there was no time, ignoring the fact that space and time are intertwined. I'd also add that his idea that the universe being geocentric is utter rubbish. Space expands at every point, not just away from our planet. If we were at any other location in space, we'd see the same relative expansion, and we'd see it expand exponentially until that space (beyond the visible universe) reached a relative speed faster than light.

The problem with pseudo-academic creationists is that hypotheses have to be force-fit into a presupposition, up to the point that the respective hypothesis becomes so convoluted and absurd that it invalidates itself. If you ignore the scientific method, it's not science at all.

What we are discussing there is Cosmogony, which is different (although certainly related to) Cosmology.

Cosmogony is the study of the universe as we currently observe it, and Cosmology is forensic; a historical science that estimates how the universe began, based on what evidence we do have currently extant (also based on philosophy, etc.). Therefore, some of that you are claiming that evolutionists saw or see is more along the lines of what evolutionists think might have happened based on the evidence that we now see in nature since no human was there at the very beginning of things.

Extemporaneously, what you are positing about the early universe and the gradualistic development of stars, even if somehow shown to have happened in the face of entropy, is simply not probable. That is, even if the universe is a trillion years old and was homogenous early on as you say, the chance that all of the (physical, scientific, natural) complexity that is observable in the universe arose from simple forms and came about by chance through unguided processes goes beyond any and all statistical probability of ever happening.

Nevertheless, in brief defense of what I had proposed to you: D. Russell Humphries Ph.D is basically saying that that the Bible affirmed that the universe was not eternal, and did so before the science of the modern day caught up to the prediction (i.e., secular scientists held to a steady state/eternal universe for years before the Big Bang theory came on the scene).

Psalm 147:4-5 argues against the previously popular steady state universe in that Bible affirms that the stars are numerable (i.e., not infinite in number and thus not eternal) and that, in contrast, God is infinite and able to count them.

He counts the number of the stars; He calls them all by name. Great is our Lord, and mighty in power; His understanding is infinite. (Ps. 147:4-5)

Russ is also pointing out that the Bible predicted/affirmed the expansion of the universe as well.

Isaiah 40:21-22 is used to support this: Have you not known? Have you not heard? Has it not been told you from the beginning? Have you not understood from the foundations of the earth? It is He who sits above the circle [sphere] of the earth, And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers, Who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, And spreads them out like a tent to dwell in.

(In my understanding, these accuracies from thousands of years ago put the Bible ahead of finite evolutionary science presuppositions).

After pointing out that the Bible is therefore useful as a guide to cosmology, Humphries then hypothesizes that since logic tells us, based on the expansion of the universe, that the cosmos was obviously much smaller in its early history that the time frames of the developmental aspects of the features of the universe (most specifically stars, and their subsequent starlight travel patterns as God was creating them in one 24 hr. earth-clock day) were quite different than what we observe today.

Pointed summarization of the Starlight and Time cosmology.

- The universe has a boundary and a center. The earth is the center of the cosmos as evidenced in that we can see distant galaxies positioned in all different directions from earth; supported further by the red shift in all directions from the perspective of our planet and the galaxy cluster patterns that coincide with the red shifts, etc.

- In accordance with General Relativity, gravitational energy affects time. That is, gravitational potential energy has affect on time duration in geographical proximity throughout the cosmos. (I think this is actually the main point that you missed)

- When the universe was in its early stages of development (day 4 of creation) it was much smaller in size (which Big Bang theorists also hold to by default) and therefore the gravitational energy was large and its affect on the matter of the cosmos much greater.

- This time dilation by way of gravitational energy is not just theoretical but is observable here on earth when atomic clocks are placed at different elevations (ranging from below sea level to high mountaintops) as they have differentiation in time keeping due to the differences in gravitational energy affect on them.

- When the universe was smaller (at the beginning of day 4 of creation), the gravitational potential energy was much greater. Thus producing a slow time duration on earth, and subsequently a much more rapid advancement of time at the edge of the universe. So, from the earth?s perspective, the stars where formed in a 24 hr. day, and from the perspective of the outer limits of the universe, it took billions of years. If you were to be standing on the earth then and if you could see the stars being formed in the outer regions, star formation (theoretically) would look much like videotape does when it is played in fast forward mode.

Important things to note: This is a biblical creation model in accordance with General Relativity. There are certainly differences of opinion (i.e., not all creationists hold to the Starlight and Time model) but there are also other creationists doing cosmologies in accordance with Einstein's theory (Dr. Danny Faulkner comes to mind). And, theories like Humphries? here posit aspects of cosmological physics that are not only consistent with Relativity, but also express fundamental aspects of it.

In general argument against your challenges: The beliefs held by credentialed evolutionary cosmologists are quite different than the understanding propagated to the populace -- that a small dot of matter exploded billions of years ago and is continually expanding throughout pre-existent space. Rather, the evolutionary Big Bang model held by scholars (Hawking, Ellis, et. el.) assumes that everything (i.e., time, matter, and space) is expanding into a 4th dimension of hyperspace. The point being that the scholarly view of expansion into a 4th dimension is held without any substantial proof of naturalistic evidence for a dimension beyond time, matter, and space.

I will also speak towards your specific challenges of the cosmic light blinding of earth etc.; Humphries has had his model challenged (even by fellow creationists) over the years and is making adjustments. For what its worth, he has progressed the postulate that time stood still for everything inside of the event horizon on day 4 of creation and generally posits much variation in expansion. Nevertheless, it is entirely possible that you are simply overly committed to the naturalistic explanation of the expansion of space and thus do not understand where Humphries is coming from.

[Also, Humphries does offer some general technical physics support for his theory here if you are interested https://creation.com/images/pdfs/tj/j22_3/j22_3_84-92.pdf ]

What is more, the idea that the earth is at the center of the universe is not utter rubbish and was even held by one of the greatest thinkers in all of history, Aristotle. Nevertheless, the exact location of the center of the universe is debated amongst Bible believing scientists (example, creationist physicist Danny Faulkner believes that the earth is not the center, while he still posits both a center and boundary of the universe based on his research). The point here being that evolutionists typically pre-suppose that there is no center and boundary of the universe, and they do so based entirely on their ideology (i.e., unsupported beliefs).

At this point I will concede that Humphries has basically come up with a plausible explanation for the appearance of age in the cosmos, and I personally prefer his model over the day age theory and/or the progressive creationist's theories that the days of Genesis are long stretches of time rather than 24 hr periods, etc. And, his model is in accordance with General Relativity and takes into account other substantial findings in the fields of physics, astronomy, and the like. It just so happens to fit his biblical worldview and subsequently challenge Big bang cosmology.

Nevertheless, if you are claiming that D. Russell Humphries is not an academic, you are simply wrong. He worked at the prestigious Sandia laboratories for years, has been published, without controversy, in scholarly physics journals, and has an extensive list of achievements in the filed of science (awards, patents, etc.).  See here: https: //creation.com/d-russell-humphreys-cv  

What is more, if your implications are that all creationists are pseudo scientists, well, you would have to stay consistent there and lump all other historical creationists such as Sir Isaac Newton, Johannes Keplar, Lord Kelvin, etc. into your group of non-scientists which, would be obviously absurd and completely out of step with the historical development of science.

Then, you would have to step off from the shoulders of these giants (Newton, Keplar, Kelvin, etc.), the very men that were integral in developing scientific methodology, a methodology you are wanting to explicitly reference when arguing against Creationism.

Basically, what one does by trying to categorize Creationists (while still in the gate) as not being scientific is stacking the deck against Creationism without first supporting the claim that it is non-scientific; such tactics are considered to be fallacious argumentation.

That being said, the burden of proof is really on you to successfully show evidence against supernaturalism and also show that ?methodological naturalism? is the only way to do science and/or has the only valid explanations for aspects of nature. (This is what is usually meant when an evolutionist references the scientific method, they mean that the presupposition of naturalism is the only allowable approach to science, which again, is a presupposition that needs to first be supported by evidence).

With do respect, in sum, your counter assertions are committed to an evolutionary worldview and what you are presenting is simply taken out of the ongoing evolutionary story book . . . a story that is based on the unsupportable presupposition of anti-supernaturalism. The science of the day changes over time, while the truths of God are immutable. I simply prefer to base my worldview on bedrock rather than shifting sand.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 02:01:12 PM by Simon Woodstock »

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #203 on: September 23, 2017, 02:43:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Dude, Genesis 1:1 doesn't account for first principle or cause. Where did god come from?
Does god believe in god? ..not himself, but does god believe in a higher power?

also super honest question..Is there any part of you that thinks Jesus might have just been a super charismatic cult leader?

The Bible also accounts for God being infinite, eternal, immaterial, etc. so when you keep that in mind then there is no need to ask the question of who caused god and an infinite, eternal, immaterial, uncaused being simply cannot have a cause of its existence.

As far as your question about Jesus. that certainly comes up in the discussion. I think if you read the new testament, though, the account of Jesus' life gives no indication that He has the characteristics of a cult leader. My personal research has re-affirmed that He is truly the Messiah as He claimed to be.

That is actually the deciding factor as far as my response to your question. Jesus claimed to be God and supported the claim.

This short article might be of some help in understanding if interested: https://www.gotquestions.org/divinity-of-Christ.html

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #204 on: September 23, 2017, 02:46:04 PM »

In my understanding, Adam and Eve are the first people to have been created.

I am always open for discussion on such matters. But, if you are up for a short article on a literal Adam and Eve, here is a link: https://www.gotquestions.org/Adam-and-Eve-story.html

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #205 on: September 23, 2017, 02:48:54 PM »

I live in Murrieta CA now. Its about 30 mins north east of Fallbrook, CA.

Just curious. What would you be willing to receive as sufficient evidence for the Christian faith? And, if you were given such evidence, would you be willing to become a Christian?

Guy Ferrari

• Rep: 6
  • Welcome to Flavortown
« Reply #206 on: September 23, 2017, 02:53:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Just curious. What would you be willing to receive as sufficient evidence for the Christian faith? And, if you were given such evidence, would you be willing to become a Christian?

Swear on my mama if god creates some sort of fuck up at our local dominos and they deliver a pizza (already paid for of course) to my house right now ill devote my life to christianity and become a monk

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #207 on: September 23, 2017, 03:36:45 PM »
I like how Friday is Simon's day to come on SLAP and simply go nuts on his keyboard, props to you for trying to be in multiple debates at once mate...

Expand Quote
[close]
I don't think either of us are in any position to be able to judge what is best for ALL women in the case of rape mate; I would argue that each person deals with the trauma in a different way and thus forcing them to go down either path is a violation of basic human rights. To use your own arguments against you: why punish a woman who has already been raped? why lump the additional depression causing trauma (not to mention financial burden) on someone who has been raped?
I'd also like you to get some female input here bro because it's all fine and dandy when two dudes are chatting on a skate message board but could you seriously look your mother/ wife/ sister/ female friends etc. straight in the face and say, "well I'm sorry you got raped but you've got to have this baby because ... (wait for it) ... there is still no positive justification for abortion" ?
c'mon man, for someone whose religion preaches love and respect for their fellow (wo)man, that stance certainly lacks a lot of empathy from your camp.
Also, you failed to touch on the whole mother's health thing, but if I suddenly came to know that my wife's life would be in danger because of child birth, I would 100% be in favor of her living vs. her having the child and then passing away. Having said that, I'd also be 100% in favour of accepting her final decision either way because I respect, and love, her as a human being. If you are can't understand where I'm coming from here then I feel our debate is done... sorry, but I can't take you seriously as a religious man (or even as a human in general) as that sounds like the thought process of a psychopath. If I get no reply from you on this particular point, then we are done!

You mentioned science (because we all like to have science on our side right?) but again, I don't think science is on your side here hence why the medical community, in conjunction with the research carried out, have decided on a figure of around week 13 or less for the majority of abortions (91% in case you forgot the stat!). This is long before the fetus develops any sort of sentience/ ability to feel pain.
Is it a living organism? For sure! Does it react to outside stimuli? No doubt, but if you are going to go down that route why aren't you protesting against people who "holocaust" their gardens when mowing the lawn? What about dudes who jack off into tissues? billions of dead organisms right there! precious life tho right?
This is where I feel your argument is shaky at best because if we start the whole "name the trait" game, you're going to have to start standing up for the "death" of a plethora of other non-sentient things that share similar traits to that of an unborn fetus. Sentience is my base-line, what is yours?

Expand Quote
[close]
so ... in the case of killing/ consuming animals you're pro-choice then huh? :D I'm going to quote on this one mate, you said it, not me :p

Expand Quote
[close]
You are free to do so but I'm guessing that back then it was a lot easier to justify said actions when we weren't specifically rearing 60 billion animals annually solely for the purpose of slaughtering them (and profiting from said death).
Yes, you can present your biblical case and guess what? I'll probably agree with it in that certain context/ time period but god alone (or something he said hundreds of years ago) is not an infinite excuse for a certain behavior/ action. It's like Halal food, I don't give a fuck how you killed an animal, you still killed it and in my eyes that is going against the very fibre of your religion and any sense of compassion that you claim to have.

Simon, it's 2017, you live in developed country with a massive variety of non-animal based food options available to you, why do YOU specifically still choose to contribute to the death and suffering of sentient beings/ god's creatures when you could EASILY avoid doing so? I want to know your personal justification here not some 1000 year old out of date/ context quote from the bible.
Your god said, "thou shall not kill", it's one of his most famous teachings and yet you contribute to massive amounts of killing with your food choices on the daily when you don't need to. Please outline your reasons for doing so while being strongly opposed to abortion. Again, if you are having trouble with your answer go back to my original question to you:
Please indicate the trait that unborn fetuses possess, and that animals lack, that make you so adamant about protecting the life of one and not the other

Expand Quote
[close]
not at all, Buddhism also has a terrible track record with hypocrisy in regard to animal rights (not to mention all that pent up homophobia) despite also sharing a "you know, you guys probably shouldn't kill other living things yeah?" mindset.
I don't think fundamentally religions are necessarily evil and I do think that there are some valuable lessons within these texts and teachings, but it becomes very hard to take them seriously when at a base-level most religions preach non-violence and yet their followers are happy to cause unnecessary suffering and violence on a daily basis. I also fail able to comprehend why these type of people are unable to adapt their religions to our current situation(s)/ way of life...

One of the drawbacks to a forum like this is that it can all seem like dry, non-compassionate philosophy in the nuts and bolts of the discussion. A woman who suffers the trauma of a rape and has subsequently become pregnant as a result is obviously a very serous situation and one that should not be handled lightly. It is a traumatic situation that needs to be treated with love and compassion.

There are pointed responses to each of your specific challenges, though. In sum, the ability to feel pain is not a litmus test for being a human person, else people under anesthesia would not be human persons, etc. What is more, if there is a consensus of any community on anything (such as the medical community that you reference, although I would like to see an official source on that stat) what is being committed there is a logical fallacy of a consensus gentium which is just a fancy way saying an argument that appeals to a general consensus of individuals is a fallacious argument. A consensus of scholars should garner ones attention, but the fact that a group of scientists, doctors, lawyers, etc. have a general consensus on a matter is not evidence for its truth. a majority of people can be wrong (and they often are) truth is not determined at the ballot box.

For instance, many years ago the general consensus of scientists believed that animal life spontaneously generated from garbage, which is now obviously false (but was never true just because a general consensus believed it to be true). Also, the general consensus of scientists yeas ago was that the planets of the solar system all orbited the earth. This was later proven to be false, but was never true just because at one time a majority of scientists believed it to be fact. In like manor, even if you show multiple verified sources that the medical community affirms human personhood at 13 weeks, it is still the fallacy of consensus gentium.

I could go on, but I will say two things at this point. One is that even when abortion advocated appeal to the special circumstance of pregnancy due to rape, they don't just want to advocate for abortion in these circumstances, but they errantly use the emotionally charged circumstance to somehow cover the blanket argument for abortion on demand. This is fallacious. Its called an extrapolated argument.

Moreover, a very low percentage of rapes result in pregnancy, so again this even minimizes the force of use in abortion advocacy (a classmate of mine, John Fererr, has written on this and other related topics http://reasonsforjesus.com/why-rape-does-not-justify-abortion/ )

So, respectfully, since science and philosophy are on the side of precious unborn human life beginning at conception (here is a detailed article in support if you are interested https://answersingenesis.org/sanctity-of-life/when-does-life-begin/ ) then you can simply apply any argument you have made (even if in theory) for abortion advocacy to the status of a two moth old baby.

Can anyone justifiably murder a two month old baby because ... it is a financial burden to the mother? can a two month old can be murdered because the child's life *might* be emotionally difficult? ..because it is not as developed as a 4 year old child? .. because it is not self-conscious yet? etc, etc,? the answer to these is no. And, it (murder) would be no insofar as the two month old child of a mother who conceived by rape as well.

Then make mere change in 'zip code' of location of an unborn back inside the womb (i.e., applying the same arguments to an unborn child) and the same proposed murder justifying questions asked of it are still a resounding No.

Putting it another way, you can just ask this same question over and over to find the same No answer. If the unborn is a precious innocent human person, is is okay to murder them when ___________. (fill in the blank, then answer is still no. hence no justifiable instance)

It is based on this philosophy that I believe a mother (actual or potential) should be informed.

Now, as far as your additional question/challenge. That is a different ethical situation. In the case of an ectopic pregnancy (where the fetus is in the fallopian tube and will eventually kill the mother) the status of the fetus actually changes from innocence to that of being a threat to the mother (rather than being innocent) and often the decision is made to terminate the pregnancy and lose the one life rather than take it to term and lose the life of both the child and the mother. As far as ethics is concerned, this is not technically an abortion
( https://www.liveaction.org/news/get-facts-straight-treating-ectopic-pregnancy-not-abortion/ ) BTW, this is the ethics of Graded Moral Absolutism and is worthy of further study if you are not familiar with the term.

Again, respectfully (and thanks for the thought out chat, BTW) you seem to be doing what abortion advocates usually do by appealing to extreem, atypical, emotionally charged situations to try to make a case for abortion that goes outside of those parameters. Its simply a fallacious way to argue.

Moving forward, you simply seem to not want to hear my biblical case for the allowance of eating animal products, so my guess is that you don't want to hear my argument outside of the Bible referencing Aristotle and the 'hierarchy of being' argument from base to rational being etc.. so I will simply spare them as well at this point.

And, since at the onset you assured me that this entire debate (and I would imagine the denoted debates of God's existence, the validity of the Bible, the deity of Christ, etc.) would boil down to ethics. And, I agree.

So, at this point, I would just politely, yet assertively ask you. By what grounds are you saying that any behavior carried out by humans should be considered to be wrong?  

If veganism is just your opinion, then it is just that, your opinion.

By what standard are you saying that to be non-vegan is universally wrong and should be considered to be wrong by everyone?

« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 03:45:37 PM by Simon Woodstock »

Simon Woodstock

• Nowhere avatar image
« Reply #208 on: September 23, 2017, 03:51:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Woodstock, what do you have to say about the discipline of paleoanthropology which deals with archaic human fossils from neanderthals, denisovans, erectus, sediba, australopithecus, ardipithecus and others? According to scientists in that field, our species has been around at least 250,000 years. Anyone who studies evolution would say the earth has been supporting life for far longer than creationists believe.
[close]

In short, much of this purported paleontological evidence is suspect. and there has been a book authored called "Bones of Contention" that refutes the work done in this field that has been used to try to support evolution. If you would be willing to read the book, I would buy you a copy and send it to your house (PM me if interested and/or please do continue to put forth purported evidences in this regard).

Bottom line, evolutionary paleontologists go into their research with the presupposition that humans evolved from apes over millions of years, so they simply crunch their data to support their presuppositions (Note: presuppositions are unavoidable when doing research, but the evolutionary presuppositions continue to go unsupported, but rather 'shouted' by evolutionary scientists in spite of the evidence)
[close]

Fossils of ancient hominin species are still being found. The story of Homo naledi, whose bones were found a couple years ago, might be interesting to you: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/05/homo-naledi-human-evolution-science/

Also, evolutionary geneticists have been sequencing genomes of ancient species and finding out that human evolution also involved hybridization of Homo sapiens with extinct human groups such as Neanderthals and Denisovans. DNA testing of modern humans has borne this out. There is proof of evolution in your genes.

Paleontologists go into their research assuming evolution is true because everything they've learned has proven it to be. And until some massive trove of evidence and research comes along that proves it is wrong, they will continue to do their research in this way. I don't see anything wrong with that. It seems you approach any materials about evolution with the belief that it's false when you have far less of a basis for thinking that than these researchers have for believing it's a solid theory with a large body of research to support it.

Fair challenge. If these are new findings that are better than what I have seen before I will print this out and take a couple of weeks to look into it. And, I will try to be unbiased (although I must admit that my previous research on the matters have shown evolution to be dubious and thus difficult to believe things have changes, but yeh I will check these particular findings out).

Level 60 Dwarf Paladin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #209 on: September 23, 2017, 04:38:53 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Talk to me as soon as churches give up their tax exempt status.