Author Topic: Jimmy Carlin ... lost enjoi part  (Read 9577 times)

Merman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -40
Re: Jimmy Carlin ... lost enjoi part
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2021, 02:33:28 PM »
Strange coincidence, but I was just on a roadtrip last week skating a park Monterrey California and a stranger pulls up in his truck right next to the fence with a badass looking skate obstacle in the flat bed. I looked over and caught his gaze and he looked unsure about skating because it rained earlier in the day. So I made a hand motion to him, kinda like a 'get your ass in here!' motion and he did.

Then I suddenly realized this guy looked familiar. The only way I could place him was from an epic video of PJ Ladd battling PRod at Berrics, where some guy in the audience was so shocked at the level of skating that he just stripped down to his boxers. So I asked the rando who just entered the park about it and sure enough, that was him! Jimmy Carlin! Was he stoked that I remembered him only for that? Not really. But it was great to catch up with him and hear from the horses mouth why he disappeared.

He mentioned lingering injuries that he was tired of dealing with. Now he is on a completely different path and it honestly sounds pretty wonderful. He's living in one of the most beautiful parts of California on the coast and getting an advanced degree in child psychology and plans to work in education. At the park, Carlin seemed a very positive influence on everyone around him. Really nice and supportive guy I must say.

And now coming up on this thread, I had no fucking idea just how good he is! Vaguely recall that he was decent, but I had no idea that he was capable of a fakie hard flip manny at the LA courthouse stage. That is downright incredible, especially considering that Jimmy is not very tall.

Chris Hansen is back

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 781
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2021, 03:31:14 PM »
Hi Jimmy.

Hedgehog In Da Fog

• Rep: -14
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2021, 08:09:11 PM »
This dude was very, very good. He was a bit of a goof, I must say, but I will never discredit his abilities on the board. He killed it.

Lord Viper Scorpion

« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2021, 08:17:23 PM »
lets see those 4-5 tricks

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 582
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2021, 09:07:21 PM »
Listened to the Old Friends Catch Up podcast, he had a hip thing and some issues. He also is/was going to school to be a grade school teacher.
Stoked to see a pro have a plan post-skating.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Dooky-shoes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2021, 04:39:12 PM »
Strange coincidence, but I was just on a roadtrip last week skating a park Monterrey California and a stranger pulls up in his truck right next to the fence with a badass looking skate obstacle in the flat bed. I looked over and caught his gaze and he looked unsure about skating because it rained earlier in the day. So I made a hand motion to him, kinda like a 'get your ass in here!' motion and he did.

Then I suddenly realized this guy looked familiar. The only way I could place him was from an epic video of PJ Ladd battling PRod at Berrics, where some guy in the audience was so shocked at the level of skating that he just stripped down to his boxers. So I asked the rando who just entered the park about it and sure enough, that was him! Jimmy Carlin! Was he stoked that I remembered him only for that? Not really. But it was great to catch up with him and hear from the horses mouth why he disappeared.

He mentioned lingering injuries that he was tired of dealing with. Now he is on a completely different path and it honestly sounds pretty wonderful. He's living in one of the most beautiful parts of California on the coast and getting an advanced degree in child psychology and plans to work in education. At the park, Carlin seemed a very positive influence on everyone around him. Really nice and supportive guy I must say.

And now coming up on this thread, I had no fucking idea just how good he is! Vaguely recall that he was decent, but I had no idea that he was capable of a fakie hard flip manny at the LA courthouse stage. That is downright incredible, especially considering that Jimmy is not very tall.
Wow, you literally invited jimmy back into skateboarding.