Author Topic: Breaking in dunk lows?  (Read 15993 times)

Jud Nestorkins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
Breaking in dunk lows?
« on: August 14, 2017, 05:07:16 AM »

So I wear a 9 in most vulcs and a 9.5 in cups. Only two pair of nikes I've ever had were dunk lows. I got an old A's pair from a goodwill in a 10 and they fit "okay" but were pretty long.

Anyway,  a few days few got a pair of regular dunk low pros from Ross for $25.

Well they had two big security things making it impossible to try them on but they were super cheap, an amazing colorway and I've always loved the aesthetics so it was a no brainer to get them.

Well first day I wore them they were super snug on the sides and were squeezing the sides of my foot a little but not too bad. Next day I wore them at work and they were fine. However, I wore them yesterday (third day in row), at work again and after about 6 hours of my 8 hour shift, the side of my left pinky toe (The part of your foot that would scrape the grip tape if you ollied without shoes) felt like the shoe was pressing against it hard. It continued to do this until my shift was over. Got a ride chime from my girl and instantly took them off and haven't worn them since.

I'm wondering

A. Is this normal?

B.  Will they break in eventually and I'll just have to suffer for the time being?

C. Do dunks for small and  I'm just fucked?

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
Re: Breaking in dunk lows?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 05:30:52 AM »
Seems like a normal break in period, maybe try wearing them in shorter sessions until they loosen up a bit.

Deekay

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 11:59:47 AM »
Most of the shoes I get are so tight that I can only wear them for 30 minutes or an hour at a time before the pain becomes too heavy. That's when they feel the best once they're broken in I think.. Just as long as they're not too short.

If you can wear them a whole fucking day and "your pinky toe kinda feels a little squeezed", you'll be fine.

If you wanna speed up the process, remove the insoles and microwave the shoes in 30 second intervalls and buck fold them around a bunch between each time. Do that a few times, then put on 2 pairs of socks and heat them again, then put em on and walk around for an hour. That usually does the trick for me. Just don't do it longer than a minute at a time, I usually do a minute but I melted a sole once so I do 30-40 seconds now.

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -7
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 12:12:39 PM »
Dunks are pretty narrow shoes.

I have a wide foot and I love my pair because after the really shitty initial break in period, they fit my foot like a glove (...or a sock)

I had these shoes for years though and would wear them seldom because they were uncomfortable until I ran out of other sneakers and only had these.

They should stretch out as long as they're not too short (where it's too tight at the tip of the shoe.

Try loosening the laces real good to see if that helps. You can also try a new insole.

I remember back in the Adio cupsole days, kids would microwave their shoes to break them in. Perhaps someone else can comment on best practices for that.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 05:21:21 PM »
Relace or change the laces, that's what I did and they got more roomy and comfy
yes

baravettski

• Rep: 41
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 09:09:00 AM »

Yep. When they are unlaced grab the eyestay down towards the vamp and give it a yank open. Sometimes you can get a couple threads to pop, gives em a little more width.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 12:04:35 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yep. When they are unlaced grab the eyestay down towards the vamp and give it a yank open. Sometimes you can get a couple threads to pop, gives em a little more width.

Whoa, not everyone designs shoes for a living!

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 01:45:11 AM »
Do you have the traditionnal dunk sb? or the Ishods? If you have the Ishod that are slimmed down, I recommend you to swap your insoles with a different one. I use the traditionnal dunk sb insoles into the ishod dunks because the ones in the Ishods are way to big and crunch my toes. With other insoles they fit perfect.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 01:23:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Whoa, not everyone designs shoes for a living!

He's right though lol. Just yank and crush the shoe up a bit with your hands to give it some flex, and then wear it for a week. Oh, and go for the regular dunk SB's over the Ishod dunks as someone above mentioned.

TBH, the best thing you can do is just wear them around for a while instead of skating them the moment you get them. I sometimes wear mine everyday for a month so I can get them broken in just right. I really don't like skating brand new shoes, so the longer you give them time to conform  foot the better you'll be.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

Pigeon

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 09:52:13 PM »
Use a thinner insole and microwave them for thirty seconds, before wearing them, each time. After they stretch a bit and are broken in, use whatever insole you prefer.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 11:19:33 PM »
ive never had any dunks feel like they have broken in as much as i want them to.

Donald Rump

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 06:31:48 AM »
About 1/2 hour and they are fine for me and I like the fat tongue low pros not the newer thinned downed versions

But I've been skating in SB dunks forever, tried out some regular half cabs recently and I felt naked in them

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2017, 01:23:50 PM »
ive never had any dunks feel like they have broken in as much as i want them to.

The dunks I skated between 2002 and 2006 broke in way better than the current ones that are out.

I can't really skate the lows because of those ankle stabilizer bumps on the inside of the shoe, they're probably the worst things I've ever felt jabbing into my foot.

Highs are always the way to go imo.
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 09:55:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The dunks I skated between 2002 and 2006 broke in way better than the current ones that are out.

I can't really skate the lows because of those ankle stabilizer bumps on the inside of the shoe, they're probably the worst things I've ever felt jabbing into my foot.

That's insane to hear in my opinion cause I love the lows and how they have the reinforced cushioning around the ankle while leaving the ankle free to move around, I mean it's vulnerable to spraining/rolling but gives more control for a cupsole to me compared to the highs where they're nice, protective, and stylish but I cannot pop or flick with enough freedom
yes

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2017, 01:53:17 AM »
Thank you guys for the replies. I just microwaved them a tried bending them with my hands and I usually don't wear shoes around the house but have been wearing these and they are starting to feel super good. I usually wear vulcs but these feel a lot less bulky than they look. I can see why people love to skate these. Oh and that heel padding is a god send. I usually fuck up my heels and need tape or whatever in the heel to aviod.

These are the regular, non Ishoeones with the fat tongues by the way.

Pigeon

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2017, 02:50:26 AM »
Thank you guys for the replies. I just microwaved them a tried bending them with my hands and I usually don't wear shoes around the house but have been wearing these and they are starting to feel super good. I usually wear vulcs but these feel a lot less bulky than they look. I can see why people love to skate these. Oh and that heel padding is a god send. I usually fuck up my heels and need tape or whatever in the heel to aviod.

These are the regular, non Ishoeones with the fat tongues by the way.
Ishoe and Grand Taylor are pretty cool.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 02:51:58 AM by Pigeon »

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2017, 08:40:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

That's insane to hear in my opinion cause I love the lows and how they have the reinforced cushioning around the ankle while leaving the ankle free to move around, I mean it's vulnerable to spraining/rolling but gives more control for a cupsole to me compared to the highs where they're nice, protective, and stylish but I cannot pop or flick with enough freedom

The problem for me is that they dig into my Achilles right where those stabilizers are, and they really hurt after wearing them for a while. The highs don't have this, and the highs also have the perfect amount of tongue stuffing imo. They've always been better than anything else I've ever skated, and I'll probably wear them for the rest of my life.

Andrefosho

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 12:04:35 AM »
Congrats on the purchase!

Yeah well Ishod dunks are soggy out of the box. I am hesitant to skate them.