Author Topic: What do you guys think about sharp rails on decks? What about aging decks?  (Read 1131 times)

JusticeAbberdash

Some people complain about buying decks that've been sitting around too long, and some people say they don't ride them for a year or two (the resins or some shit). So what's up with that?

And rails, I just got one of those birch decks and they have the square edge rails. I'm not sure how I feel about it..

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
I like rounded edges like PS but maybe square leads to a different pop.  It's the razor that kills pop before age. 

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -2
i was under the impression that older decks have a better laminate as the glue can set longer so long as they are kept in good conditions

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
I've always taken square to be a sign the board wasn't hand finished, a cost-saving device. Anyone confirm?

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
  • One Trick Pony
i've heard some MFGs use a square top rail for custom boards, Grosso uses one because it holds your foot better on the edge or some shit

JusticeAbberdash

I like rounded edges like PS but maybe square leads to a different pop.  It's the razor that kills pop before age.

I'm probably not going to skate this thing for a long while, so we may never know..

The only real negative I can come up with is that a rounded rail deck feels better when you're holding it haha

EDIT: oh shit, are these sharp rails going to chop into my shin/face/etc if and when it eventually hits me from doing something stupid..?!?!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 07:05:18 PM by JusticeAbberdash »

Not Local

Some of my most memorable boards were hanging on the wall before I rode them. Not sure what's up with that... Just put together a Cardiel 8.62 that I was on the wall for three years... we'll see how it goes...

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
I'm on a square railed board right now.  Dogtown Bigfoot.  Rounded is better for wear.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"