Author Topic: Setup Maintenance Thread  (Read 10662 times)

Not Local

Re: Setup Maintenance Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2018, 01:25:50 PM »
Surfboard putty can work well. Pull all the chipped wood out, clean out any other debris. Wet your fingers, mix the putty in your fingers, once its one uniform color and warmish,jam it into the crack, and let it dry. It dries pretty hard. Then sand it down so its nice and flush with your board.

https://sunplay.com/products/fcs-instant-repair-putty-78001?variant=6882534817827&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImLXPjOiK2gIVCDBpCh1FnAUQEAQYAiABEgIu1fD_BwE

streetsoup

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2018, 04:35:42 PM »
Surfboard putty can work well. Pull all the chipped wood out, clean out any other debris. Wet your fingers, mix the putty in your fingers, once its one uniform color and warmish,jam it into the crack, and let it dry. It dries pretty hard. Then sand it down so its nice and flush with your board.

https://sunplay.com/products/fcs-instant-repair-putty-78001?variant=6882534817827&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImLXPjOiK2gIVCDBpCh1FnAUQEAQYAiABEgIu1fD_BwE

Thanks, Ill check it out!

Have been doing some research about how to make your shoe soles black, wondering if anyone has any experience with painting or dying their soles and how it worked after a few sessions?

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2018, 12:54:16 AM »
Have been doing some research about how to make your shoe soles black, wondering if anyone has any experience with painting or dying their soles and how it worked after a few sessions?

I work in fashion and we dye a lot of stuff. We've recently been dying the soles of our sneakers in a wool (protein) dye before we give them to the shoemaker for construction. We've done blue and black and we're just using commercially available dyes, something like rit equivalent probably.

The dye doesn't really penetrate the rubber very deep, so after wearing the shoes, the original color of the soles starts to show, in our case, white.

You could also try edge dressing and kinda paint the soles, but I think it will be messy and it'll look fucked up in the end.

If you do any experiments I'd be interested to hear the results.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 772
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2018, 07:49:47 AM »

i know a cheaper alternative to this: get a tube of silicon, let it dry, then cut it open and use the dried silicon the same way you would use a gripgum, it works great
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2018, 09:50:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i know a cheaper alternative to this: get a tube of silicon, let it dry, then cut it open and use the dried silicon the same way you would use a gripgum, it works great

I thought the cheaper alternative was to get a huge "belt sander cleaner" at a hardware store, which is what grip gum is, only you get way more for way less money.

The silicone doesn't shred up into little pieces? 

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2018, 12:49:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I work in fashion and we dye a lot of stuff. We've recently been dying the soles of our sneakers in a wool (protein) dye before we give them to the shoemaker for construction. We've done blue and black and we're just using commercially available dyes, something like rit equivalent probably.

The dye doesn't really penetrate the rubber very deep, so after wearing the shoes, the original color of the soles starts to show, in our case, white.

You could also try edge dressing and kinda paint the soles, but I think it will be messy and it'll look fucked up in the end.

If you do any experiments I'd be interested to hear the results.

Thanks man. Yeah everything ive read on dyes and paints say it will eventually wear off on the rubber sole. This is a bummer! I was certain there had to be a sure proof way to turn your shoe soles black.