Author Topic: The Rules of Skateboarding: James from Labor about skateshop lurking  (Read 20599 times)

Krooked antihero

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
Re: Puleo on wallies
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 07:02:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
He has a point and I would also add to this that the wallride nollie out a.k.a. wallie nollie needs to please go away.

[close]
not if people can still do them like matt field used to
[close]
Exactly, but how many people come close?
Even when this trick was getting big lback then I always felt they were lazy and were for people that couldn't do actual wallrides good.
Very very few can make this trick look cool and even then, meh.
[close]

Shitbag can't wallride nollie confirmed.

Trick is fun as hell and can be done a lot of different ways. It flows smoother than the average regular wallride and I personally prefer how it looks. It's easier though, I'll give ya that.
Any tips for that? I can wallride 90degree wall with 4wheels on but never understood those wallride nollies....And most people seems to claim that is easier than "proper" wallride. For me to key to regular wallride is to put my feet on kickflip position...
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

jjh

• Rep: 9
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 07:19:36 AM »
I like Bobby's skating even though one day my friend pointed out that he looks like a tyrannosaurus rex when he skates cause of his arms.

Puleos t rex arms = Trumps hands.
Watched this dude get made at a spot because someone did a wallie and then a backside nose grind in a line. dude said those tricks shouldn't go together. then proceeded to try switch crooks up the same ledge until reality and anger kicked in to the point of defeat.  its over johnny. info wars is hiring.

shark tits

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2017, 07:21:40 AM »
i never dug the wallride nollie out because it looks like they just bonk their front wheels off the wall but i did figure how to do em bank to wall style. i got up, all 4 wheels on the mothergrabbin wall! and push my nose into the wall while unweighing my back foot. so i do like a wallride to fakie but i nollie out of it not ride down.
i learned em nollie bs [feels like sw 180] off a wall w/ jim and dan. same concept but you just twist to ride down the bank forwards.
hope that helps, i'm sure the concept is the same bs and fs on flat walls, get 4 wheels on and just do a chinese wheelie like when you stuck your foot under your forks as a little kid and your bike went ass over teakettle.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2017, 07:46:30 AM »
Great piece.

Even if I don't necessarily agree with Puleo's opinion, I sure as shit want to hear it. I love listening to this dude talk about skating because he and Grosso and others, as hardheaded as they all may be, are incredibly thoughtful about every little aspect of skating. That shit is important and great to listen to.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 08:30:46 AM »
Great piece.

Even if I don't necessarily agree with Puleo's opinion, I sure as shit want to hear it. I love listening to this dude talk about skating because he and Grosso and others, as hardheaded as they all may be, are incredibly thoughtful about every little aspect of skating. That shit is important and great to listen to.
hardly art, hardly starving

ibrowning

• Rep: 13
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2017, 09:03:08 AM »
Sick, I was hoping it'd ruffle some feathers. For the record, I had heard about him saying that he didn't dig the trick to my friend Tyler and gave him a call about it, it's not like he hit me up and asked me to publish his manifesto on why wallies are played out. I really appreciated the depth of context he got into while explaining everything. Dude has done his homework.

Anyway, i'm glad y'all were into it. The plan is to have one of these a month come out and give opinionated personalities in skateboarding some space to speak their minds. Anybody you want to hear from or topics you want to hear about?
A few interesting quotes but probably not new topic worthy.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 360
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2017, 09:11:46 AM »
People: Phelps, Grosso, Pontus, Josh Stewart, Oyola, Carroll, Kelch

Topics: switch mongo, body varials, switch, resurgence of curb skating, pressure flips, 90's revival, importance of photography and physical media, full length videos, etc.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

ibrowning

• Rep: 13
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2017, 09:18:18 AM »
People: Phelps, Grosso, Pontus, Josh Stewart, Oyola, Carroll, Kelch

Topics: switch mongo, body varials, switch, resurgence of curb skating, pressure flips, 90's revival, importance of photography and physical media, full length videos, etc.

Some of those are either done or in the works. Glad all these years of lurking slap are finally paying off.
A few interesting quotes but probably not new topic worthy.

baravettski

• Rep: 41
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2017, 10:56:20 AM »
Sick, I was hoping it'd ruffle some feathers. For the record, I had heard about him saying that he didn't dig the trick to my friend Tyler and gave him a call about it, it's not like he hit me up and asked me to publish his manifesto on why wallies are played out. I really appreciated the depth of context he got into while explaining everything. Dude has done his homework.

Anyway, i'm glad y'all were into it. The plan is to have one of these a month come out and give opinionated personalities in skateboarding some space to speak their minds. Anybody you want to hear from or topics you want to hear about?

That was rad to read, I like nerd shit. Makes me wanna give that guy some shoes.

I'd be psyched on a history dissertation on the backside 360 ollie by someone.

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2017, 11:36:05 AM »
Yes! This is a rad concept and as mentioned already I would love to see a 2000 word dissertation on the topic of switch mongo or swongo if you like, even better, Mitch Swongo.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2017, 11:50:37 AM »
I've been doing straight jacket bert slides on wedge ramps...can anyone tell me if this is cool right now?

MexicanSpaniard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
  • S&H
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2017, 12:19:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That was rad to read, I like nerd shit. Makes me wanna give that guy some shoes.

I'm sure rodney claims he invented it

shark tits

« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2017, 12:22:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm sure rodney claims he invented it
he didn't call it 360, he just considered it a variation of kickflip

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2017, 12:24:59 PM »
Frontside wallride nollie out though....

wheelies

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2017, 12:31:15 PM »
Wallrides just feel bad to me, they bum me out, its a depressing trick.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2017, 12:41:04 PM »

Shitbag

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
  • A mystery wrapped inside a Twinkie
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2017, 02:04:41 PM »
Expand Quote
I like Bobby's skating even though one day my friend pointed out that he looks like a tyrannosaurus rex when he skates cause of his arms.

[close]
Watched this dude get made at a spot because someone did a wallie and then a backside nose grind in a line. dude said those tricks shouldn't go together. then proceeded to try switch crooks up the same ledge until reality and anger kicked in to the point of defeat.  its over johnny. info wars is hiring.
Puleo on Genovese mob fam, confirmed.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2017, 02:11:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
Puleo on Genovese mob fam, confirmed.
Photoshop time?

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2017, 02:16:32 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i have this sticker on my toolbox

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2017, 02:22:58 PM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=96414.msg2679937#msg2679937 date=1504015364
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
He has a point and I would also add to this that the wallride nollie out a.k.a. wallie nollie needs to please go away.

[close]
[close]
Even when this trick was getting big lback then I always felt they were lazy and were for people that couldn't do actual wallrides good.
[close]

Trick is fun as hell and can be done a lot of different ways. It flows smoother than the average regular wallride and I personally prefer how it looks. It's easier though, I'll give ya that.
[close]
Any tips for that? I can wallride 90degree wall with 4wheels on but never understood those wallride nollies....And most people seems to claim that is easier than "proper" wallride. For me to key to regular wallride is to put my feet on kickflip position...
You know how to pop out of a crook or a noseslide? Its pretty much the same kinda motion if you are doing the wall ride the right way
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Jim and Dan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
  • Twenty-six Conversions in A.D. 46
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2017, 02:55:34 PM »
i never dug the wallride nollie out because it looks like they just bonk their front wheels off the wall but i did figure how to do em bank to wall style. i got up, all 4 wheels on the mothergrabbin wall! and push my nose into the wall while unweighing my back foot. so i do like a wallride to fakie but i nollie out of it not ride down.
i learned em nollie bs [feels like sw 180] off a wall w/ jim and dan. same concept but you just twist to ride down the bank forwards.
hope that helps, i'm sure the concept is the same bs and fs on flat walls, get 4 wheels on and just do a chinese wheelie like when you stuck your foot under your forks as a little kid and your bike went ass over teakettle.

Watch out Puleo, my boy has a mean wallride game & can throw a fist is needed...
Roll for Rusty, Frip, Dapple and Tate

"My boiz better take my body, and boardslide me down the fucking bridge, in San Francisco"

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2017, 03:08:24 PM »
Quote from: Krooked antihero  link=topic=96414.msg2679937#msg2679937 date=1504015364
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]

You know how at the peak of your ollie, your front foot is boned out? And how it makes a similar pose at the peak of your wallride? That front foot bone IS the nollie out. So you're kind of jamming up the wall and nollieing on your way up.

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 610
    • Community Push avatar image
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2017, 03:57:30 PM »
Also, great concept for a segment. And a great opener, even if Bobby's logic is a bit twisted. I can't pretend mine isn't.

Matthew_James

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -191
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2017, 04:02:13 PM »
At least when you're a washed-out hipster douchebag in NY, you can milk it at some decent looking, hard to skate spots. In LA you're just a tan-lined faggot in a school yard somewhere.

ginzberg

• Rep: 20
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2017, 05:04:29 PM »
of course my favorite wallie was a puleo wallie @57s
https://youtu.be/_bIx65dI0Vg?t=57s

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1116
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2017, 05:20:17 PM »
Little off topic, is a frontside half cab wallride an NBD? Have always been curious on how that would look/work.

wheelies

« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2017, 05:22:53 PM »
Ya know I never really considered those wallies ^ I guess they are though. I always thought of them as just blasting off gall/bam style banks. Those are fine I love steep banks, I just got a problem with flat walls with no angle or ramps up to it, straight wall blasters are the worst. 

fongool

• Rep: 94
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2017, 05:55:03 PM »
Interesting theory regarding Rick Howard initiating Wallrides 2.0 considering the trick pretty much still remained illegal to do for anyone in Southern California during that time period(mid-late 90s).

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3329
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2017, 06:00:05 PM »
I wonder if he has an opinion on these?

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2017, 06:17:47 PM »
of course my favorite wallie was a puleo wallie @57s
https://youtu.be/_bIx65dI0Vg?t=57s
Keep in mind that Bobby Puleo is not subject to his own logic. Please see the great Theories Towelie debate for reference.

Great article. Great demigod of a skateboarder.