Author Topic: The Nine Club Experience?  (Read 28672 times)

maurice povich

The Nine Club Experience?
« on: August 30, 2017, 08:53:41 AM »
This week the Nine Club announced a new show that cost money. Not sure where it streams from but wouldn't be shocked if it was on ETN. I enjoy free content and feel like the Monday episodes of the nine club are gonna start to suck because they are now hiding the best stuff behind a paywall on Thursdays. spend a buck every week to hear a bunch of moron callers waste all the air time by asking half baked questions? not sure yet. it seems like the nine club is impatient to cash in on the good shit they are doing. Maybe I shouldnt bash it until the first episode airs (not that ill see it tho). what do you guys think about the upcoming Nine Club Experience

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3288
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: The Nine Club Experience?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 09:11:47 AM »
When you ask me about my experience with the nine club, my head goes to a completely different place.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 09:56:13 AM »
Impatient? They have been doing this for free for over a year. It started out as a fun free project and expenses added up so in order to make it sustainable they are still offering the same free content while providing additional content to those that are willing to pay. What the fuck is wrong with this? Oh, right, absolutely nothing.

You'll never find out to see if the new show is good because you're unwilling to forego spending a fucking dollar to support skaters providing great skate entertainment/nerdery that they developed from the ground up in a completely organic manner? Cool.

the result are in: and you're a moron.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 09:58:07 AM by mattchew »
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 10:02:53 AM »
When you ask me about my experience with the nine club, my head goes to a completely different place.

yea nyjah's 270 blunt gives me pause too.
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

Get fired up

• Rep: -54
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 10:15:28 AM »

Classic Gay

maurice povich

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 10:31:58 AM »
Impatient? They have been doing this for free for over a year. It started out as a fun free project and expenses added up so in order to make it sustainable they are still offering the same free content while providing additional content to those that are willing to pay. What the fuck is wrong with this? Oh, right, absolutely nothing.

You'll never find out to see if the new show is good because you're unwilling to forego spending a fucking dollar to support skaters providing great skate entertainment/nerdery that they developed from the ground up in a completely organic manner? Cool.

thats tight that youre pissed. but really there is no need to swear at me and call me names.

oh gee a year. one year is a very short time. what have you done for only a year that you deserve to be paid for? the dudes talk about how to get paid constantly and you can tell that that is the ultimate goal for them with the show. the Nine Club is great but i think they are jumping the gun with the pay per view. im not sure why credit cards need to be involved to see some nerd shit on the YouTube. Thats an opinion, suck on it.

you must have signed up for ETN right away then?

so what expenses are there with making a youtube podcast?

im sure ill see the show with out spending the dollar per episode.

the results are in: you are not the father

jc

• Rep: -73
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 10:32:59 AM »
If they go on ETN that'll suck. ETN doesn't offer enough content.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 10:35:58 AM »
As I said in the other thread, I will give them a dollar. I might not even always watch it, but it's a dollar and this is how you can control your own media in 2017. If they went ETN or another route the show would suffer and they would probably lose a lot of the steam they built over the past year themselves. Patreon and things like this are how these shows can continue to be produced without handing creative control over to someone with an advertising agenda.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 10:36:24 AM »
I'm going to back this idea 100% just to spite you.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 10:43:07 AM »
One question, is it video content? I don't watch the show, I listen to it. Way more passive and you can do stuff while listening. I don't have time to watch things. Other than that I think I'd give it a go. I think the show has done really well and I'm a fan.

GershonSweaty

• Rep: -4
    • @_moreinformation avatar image
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 10:52:29 AM »
I am a fan, I am excited to see more content.

God knows they have made my soul destroying job somewhat bearable for the last however many Mondays.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 11:00:00 AM by GershonSweaty »

yoyo

• Rep: -1
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2017, 10:56:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

thats tight that youre pissed. but really there is no need to swear at me and call me names.

oh gee a year. one year is a very short time. what have you done for only a year that you deserve to be paid for? the dudes talk about how to get paid constantly and you can tell that that is the ultimate goal for them with the show. the Nine Club is great but i think they are jumping the gun with the pay per view. im not sure why credit cards need to be involved to see some nerd shit on the YouTube. Thats an opinion, suck on it.

you must have signed up for ETN right away then?

so what expenses are there with making a youtube podcast?

im sure ill see the show with out spending the dollar per episode.

the results are in: you are not the father

to make a good youtube podcast like this it take time/energy/money ,they use 6 expensive cameras and all the rest (lightings,mics and so on)
give those guys some respect,they will still do one free on the side for all of us

theloniousmonk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 275
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2017, 11:07:55 AM »
The nine club is by far the best skate podcast. The other ones are really cool too, but Crob n crew are lightyears ahead in terms of quality of guests as production. For anyone wondering why it costs money to do it, i guess for all the people involved in the show,they are all professionals whose time is their most important resource. They dont act like it. They do this shit week after week, it's always there, they didn't take a couple of weeks off ever. Kelly just had a surgery, and he didn't miss even one week. I'm sure that it takes several days for each episode. Cutting 6 camera angles probably takes a day on its own, plus the actual interview (obviously fun for them, but still work making sure everyone is there etc) it's a major investment of time and resources.

wheelies

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2017, 11:12:13 AM »
I dunno the format they got planned but on the new show they should add some dude who talks shit, or calls out bullshit, but from inside a black box so you cant see him.

CRAILFISH TO REVERT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 506
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2017, 11:14:34 AM »
I kinda wish they would just advertise. I will be bummed if its a ETN thing.

doomstation55

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 865
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • [b]TEAM DOOM MS 2018[/b] avatar image
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2017, 11:15:12 AM »
Is it called the nine club experience? Sounds like a shitty ride at Disneyland.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2017, 11:17:39 AM »
As I said in the other thread, I will give them a dollar. I might not even always watch it, but it's a dollar and this is how you can control your own media in 2017. If they went ETN or another route the show would suffer and they would probably lose a lot of the steam they built over the past year themselves. Patreon and things like this are how these shows can continue to be produced without handing creative control over to someone with an advertising agenda.

serious question - do you think it's necessary to hand over creative control just because you have outside advertisers?  what about television?  TV shows seem to have their own agenda/content, and the advertisers are only paying for that 30 second ad slot to promote their brand, but have ZERO influence on the TV show content itself.  Do you think it could work like that for a podcast?  I'm asking because as much as people like the Nine Club, would they lose a lot of that listening audience if they started charging for it?  I know it's only a dollar, but I think people will be like "I'm not sure I want to pay to hear this, when they're still doing a FREE podcast?"  Also, have they said what is going to be different with this new show that justifies charging a fee?  
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2017, 11:48:21 AM »
I'd subscribe to a patreon for a couple bucks a month

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2017, 11:59:08 AM »
they do good stuff. I'll support this.

natenola forever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2017, 12:09:34 PM »
I'm not gonna support the Nine club experience, but i love the podcast so i went to their site and sent them $10, if your one of those people that understand its not free to do shit like this but want to support it go over there and give a few bucks, or buy some merch.

Pigeon

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2017, 12:18:20 PM »
^
I feel the same way, but never even knew they had merchandise or a website...I just watch it from the thread on here, so thanks for the heads up. Luckily, this wasn't sold out:

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2017, 12:30:11 PM »
Get some sponsors and throw ads in if you want to monetize this.

Vlade Divac

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2017, 12:38:36 PM »
I kinda wish they would just advertise. I will be bummed if its a ETN thing.

Exactly. That's how all successful podcasts work (Joe Rogan, The Fighter & The Kid, Bill Simmons, etc). There's no need to paywall anything unless it's a new show that has premium offerings. No need for prerolls or midrolls--keep it limited to branded reads and logos in the gfx. Done.
"Whitley is filet mignon.  Vlade is spam."

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2017, 12:47:09 PM »
Way to make The Bunt more appealing good job

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2017, 12:50:20 PM »
I can't believe people pay for podcasts, that's fukkin regular. Get out there the PALS video isn't gunna film itself.

coreaf

• Rep: 22
  • sick
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2017, 12:54:00 PM »
I'm definitely open to the idea of additional Nine Club content with a small subscription fee as long as I don't have to subscribe to ETN to get it. I back this because they came correct with it. They've demonstrated value for over a year with weekly professional level interviews that are simultaneously available in multiple formats. By contrast ETN just came in like hey we're here now pay us for the right to watch the content that we openly admit we haven't even figured out yet. Plus Erik Bragg strikes me as the most fucking insufferable dude ever.

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2017, 01:26:01 PM »
this whole ETN thing...

I don't have a subscription, but I don't think it's really ridiculous for these people to charge for content. I mean, we used to buy skate videos. Some of us had massive collections of skate videos. Those were like 20 bucks a pop I think. Can't really remember. It's really like buying 4 skate videos a year. Not that bad.

And since this is how skate content is consumed now, it doesn't seem too far fetched. Sorry i brought this debate in here. I would like to see these guys get paid. I know they make nothing from these and they put a shit ton of work in. That would really suck, if you think about it.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2017, 01:36:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

serious question - do you think it's necessary to hand over creative control just because you have outside advertisers?  what about television?  TV shows seem to have their own agenda/content, and the advertisers are only paying for that 30 second ad slot to promote their brand, but have ZERO influence on the TV show content itself.  Do you think it could work like that for a podcast?  I'm asking because as much as people like the Nine Club, would they lose a lot of that listening audience if they started charging for it?  I know it's only a dollar, but I think people will be like "I'm not sure I want to pay to hear this, when they're still doing a FREE podcast?"  Also, have they said what is going to be different with this new show that justifies charging a fee?  

It's not necessary but it's what happens in skateboarding. People don't sponsor things to not have their products, riders, and what their brand "is about" at the forefront. Look at the berrics/DC deal for all those years. They shoved Mikey Taylor and Chris Cole so far up our asses everybody is sick of them. Whoever sponsored the nine club you'd see their boards all over Roger's wall, their shoes all over the book shelf, and their dumber than shit rider at the table because they're paying for that.

TV and film have a lot more power to be a fair comparison. I'd maybe compare it to TV 50 years ago. They didn't have commercials, they had the product be the center of the show. A whole episode about having to get a new Kenmore refrigerator. Things like that. That's the sort of reach I think a sponsor would have in something like the nine club.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:38:52 PM by shit_for_brains »

TwisT

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1032
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2017, 01:38:55 PM »
it sounds too convoluted and stupid. I don't think I'd want to listen or watch. I'm not a fan of "fan involvement"

I think they should go traditional podcast route. Live show with a Q&A. I'd drop 20-35 easy for that easy. I've paid more for more popular live podcast taping. Test it out around the California area, then take it on road. Use the map from the "best skater by state" thread to pick your guest

until then, i'll buy a hat or something

midevilco

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2017, 01:44:36 PM »
Doing good work takes money, and The Nine Club does good work.

Cough up a few bucks if you enjoy it.

If you don't have a few bucks, you don't have time to watch it anyway, go get a job.