Author Topic: The Nine Club Experience?  (Read 28673 times)

Aatila

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
Re: The Nine Club Experience?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2017, 01:57:05 PM »
i seen crob explain it to my homie yesterday and i believe they'll have way more content then just call in questions. I heard a shop spotlight kind of thing and I also heard live stream type of content as well and on location stuff. Regardless go spend a couple dollars and help them out.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2017, 01:58:58 PM »

Pay to play or stick to the regular programming,pretty simple. A $1 isn't a dent in my wallet and I'm pretty sure I'll subscribe or whatever given their track record on solid guests.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

csb711

• Rep: 2
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2017, 02:07:14 PM »
according to the description on their last episode, it will still feature guests, mainly people who aren't local to SoCal and couldn't otherwise make the show. I guess they will be facetiming them in, and allowing fans to submit questions, etc. they specifically mentioned Tom Penny as a potential guest for this platform, and an in-depth interview with Tom would be worth far more than $1. I'm all for it, especially if they give descriptions of what the episodes contain, so you can decide if it's something you want to buy that particular week or not
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 02:08:51 PM by csb711 »

HaveFunSkateboarding

• Rep: 20
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2017, 02:23:03 PM »
I'll probably be paying for it, it's a dollar. I just wonder if it's a dollar an episode, or a dollar a month? A week?

csb711

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2017, 03:05:06 PM »
I'll probably be paying for it, it's a dollar. I just wonder if it's a dollar an episode, or a dollar a month? A week?

I got the vibe it will be $1/episode

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2017, 03:42:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
As I said in the other thread, I will give them a dollar. I might not even always watch it, but it's a dollar and this is how you can control your own media in 2017. If they went ETN or another route the show would suffer and they would probably lose a lot of the steam they built over the past year themselves. Patreon and things like this are how these shows can continue to be produced without handing creative control over to someone with an advertising agenda.
[close]

serious question - do you think it's necessary to hand over creative control just because you have outside advertisers?  what about television?  TV shows seem to have their own agenda/content, and the advertisers are only paying for that 30 second ad slot to promote their brand, but have ZERO influence on the TV show content itself.  Do you think it could work like that for a podcast?  I'm asking because as much as people like the Nine Club, would they lose a lot of that listening audience if they started charging for it?  I know it's only a dollar, but I think people will be like "I'm not sure I want to pay to hear this, when they're still doing a FREE podcast?"  Also, have they said what is going to be different with this new show that justifies charging a fee?  
[close]

It's not necessary but it's what happens in skateboarding. People don't sponsor things to not have their products, riders, and what their brand "is about" at the forefront. Look at the berrics/DC deal for all those years. They shoved Mikey Taylor and Chris Cole so far up our asses everybody is sick of them. Whoever sponsored the nine club you'd see their boards all over Roger's wall, their shoes all over the book shelf, and their dumber than shit rider at the table because they're paying for that.

TV and film have a lot more power to be a fair comparison. I'd maybe compare it to TV 50 years ago. They didn't have commercials, they had the product be the center of the show. A whole episode about having to get a new Kenmore refrigerator. Things like that. That's the sort of reach I think a sponsor would have in something like the nine club.

thanks for your repsonse, your comparison is totally legit.  I actually don't know much about the podcast/subscription thing, but was literally introduced to it in between my post and your response.  There's a sick soul/funk podcast/playlist thing that I check out (funky16corners.com) - it used to all be archived from one dude, but I just chekjed it for the first time in a couple of years and it's grown to the point where he has guest DJs submit a set that gets posted.  But they have a Patreon thing going for donations/subscribing, and when I saw it, I thought of this whole thread.  But for me, I didn't even think twice about subscribing to it from the music aspect, I was totally down.  I realized that money goes towards doing cool shit and helping to provide content.  So, I'm more inclined to throw a few bucks for good, new content, be it skateboarding or music.   I guess so much skateboard content is given away for free, I'm like the little kids that just expect it, even though I'm in my 40s. 
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3289
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2017, 04:02:10 PM »

It's a dollar a giggle so try to be serious watching it if you want to save money.

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2017, 04:38:52 PM »
it seems like the nine club is impatient to cash in on the good shit they are doing.

oh gee a year. one year is a very short time. what have you done for only a year that you deserve to be paid for?

so what expenses are there with making a youtube podcast?

Outside of skateboarding, people tend to get paid for their labor either on an annual salary, or by the hour  ::)

And as to expenses, have you noticed how high the production value is? Cameras, mics, headphones, lighting, Roger's apartment... Not to mention, the time it takes to edit. You don't notice, probably because they do such a good job, but the video is chopped and screwed to make a cohesive narrative that doesn't drag on.

I'll give them a dollar per week.

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2017, 04:40:58 PM »
So this is a real thing ?

Every other episode the guys joke about how to get paid doing the show and for a second I thought this was also a joke...

shark tits

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2017, 04:59:31 PM »

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2017, 05:36:38 PM »
If the guests are as poorly researched as it is now, I'll be happier keeping the dollar. For whatever reasons, the journalistic standards for skateboarding are still shockingly low, and I honestly don't trust these dudes to have a great guest on AND not totally fucking blow it, a la the Mike Carroll episode. I used to work in a newsroom, and if I went into an interview as poorly prepared as these dudes are seemingly every week, I'd have lost that job pretty quickly.
Way to make The Bunt more appealing good job
Sans maybe sound quality, The Bunt tops The Nine Club in every aspect -- more diverse guests, funnier, real questions, and they're willing to talk shit.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

Fecal Fury

• Rep: 60
  • 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2017, 05:54:35 PM »
For anyone wondering what the fuck was announced exactly:

2:00:52

James Craig | The Nine Club With Chris Roberts - Episode 62
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 05:57:48 PM by Fecal Fury »

Monkey_Mcpott

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2017, 06:22:53 PM »
Wow, I didn't think people would ever think a dollar a week for something this good would be too much. I back it, with the exception of a guest or 2 every episode has been on point since the beginning. I hope somebody here is able to get on the show and explain to Roger specifically that Slap isn't just people talking shit.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2017, 06:32:12 PM »
Even if it doesn't cost them money to produce each new episode, think about the opportunity costs. Each of these guys could be doing something a lot more profitable with their time. If they go the ETN route with the experience (please don't) I'll just donate the money and continue to just watch the monday episodes.

Fecal Fury

• 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2017, 06:37:19 PM »
Some of you guys are beyond belief with your presumptuous negativity, and some of you have an inherent failure to think about the big picture, or even peek outside of the box you're so comfortable in.

Put yourself in Crobb & Co's shoes:
They are sitting on prime content produced on a winning formula, and are against making core changes to that product in an effort to monetize it. Good call.
Imagine if Google started charging people to use their Search function, or made people watch a 5 second ad before being shown their search results. It'd be corporate suicide.

- Requesting donations at any stage during the show changes the dynamic, and they they risk losing viewer/listener immersion.
People don't like change in general, let alone changing the format of something they enjoy as is. The already ruthless YouTube comments will consist of shit like "DAE remember when The Nine Club was cool".
Even if some of us are already accustomed to being probed to contribute financially to the Podcasts we listen to, the majority of the audience aren't.

- Corporate sponsorship not only puts them at risk of accusations of 'selling out', but also of being strong armed into doing things they mightn't want to do. Simple enough.

-----

So without changing the core product, we have to create value via peripheral products or services:

1. Open a store and sell Merch? Simple win. Not a cash cow, but gives them a supplementary marketplace which can just grow passively on the side as they focus on what they're good at.
May or may not turn into something where you can get exclusive third party branded products, like The Berrics Canteen. Neat.

2. Utilise their skillset to create more of what they're good at, which is high quality video content.
Even better, research trends in video consumption, recognise the cultural shift that is happening towards consumption of Live video content on the Internet, establish why that is, how to leverage that, and create something for this market.

Enter 'The Nine Club Experience'.

Know why Live sports has always been the holy grail of TV?
Because it's NOW; No-one gives a fuck about replays of sports games.

Know why live Social content with a high production value is the logical next step for any video content producer?
Because it's ENGAGING.

Know what's better than tuning into two hours of Fred Gall on The Nine Club?
Being able to talk shit with him from your couch at the same fucking time.

Is being able to watch good quality content while having the opportunity to actually converse with the producer/guests in realtime worth a dollar?
Guess we'll find out after the first few episodes drop...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 06:39:20 PM by Fecal Fury »

Fecal Fury

• 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2017, 06:45:16 PM »
Also I realise that Roger was quick to mention the fact these won't necessarily be broadcast Live as yet, but it's clearly the direction they're heading...

On that note Rog, what's the major difficulty with reducing your 6 camera's down to 4, feeding them into a vision mixer, pre-programming your basic graphic overlays into that mixer, having Eric produce/switch angles on the fly, and sending that to a laptop with OBS or Wirecast to be sent out LIVE to YouTube?

Integrating YouTube comments on screen, and guests via Skype/Facetime isn't much more work either.

Fecal Fury

• 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2017, 06:59:45 PM »
I'm on a spam roll here, but if you're reading then have you ever considered paying someone on Elance or Fiverr to translate/caption your videos into Portugese for the Brazilians?

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2017, 07:01:27 PM »
Can't wait till a Let's Play
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

Fecal Fury

• 1800-18-18-18
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2017, 08:24:18 PM »
Can't wait till a Let's Play

Now we're talking.

Create a video game based series with Skaters that already play vidya games.
Greyson Fletcher is a massive dweeb for starters.

- Livestream a game or two of something and invite viewers to join in and lay them to waste.
- Get pro's on Skate 3 to try and recreate other pro skaters. Go recreate tricks from their video parts.

Build a gaming based audience and partner with EA Games as a 'social influencer' for the inevitable release of Skate 4. $$$$

sid vicious

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2017, 08:32:05 PM »
the 9 club is the best skate talk show to date........it's a fucken dollar you babies! support a great thing

sms_b

« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2017, 08:43:16 PM »
backing it.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2017, 10:16:29 PM »
if the new show sucks then don't pay for it. if anything it will just help the podcast. maybe the money this side show brings in for the nine club dudes will also help benefit its viewers. if you think about it.. it's only going to help them loosen up and get better at what they do. it might actually make the podcast more interesting if anything. maybe the guests that everyone here on slap are always requesting might start showing up once the show has a bigger budget and more credibility... who knows?

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2017, 11:25:11 PM »
it sounds too convoluted and stupid. I don't think I'd want to listen or watch. I'm not a fan of "fan involvement"

I think they should go traditional podcast route. Live show with a Q&A. I'd drop 20-35 easy for that easy. I've paid more for more popular live podcast taping. Test it out around the California area, then take it on road. Use the map from the "best skater by state" thread to pick your guest

until then, i'll buy a hat or something

Battle talk....flare premier.....I didn't like either.....the getting ads is tough seemed kinda weak when so many other podcasts work that way....

Dead Horseman

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2017, 11:58:32 PM »
DOLLAR A MONTH?!?!?! WHHOOOOAAAA NOOWWW. They just sunk my whole life savings! 

This show is beyond legit. They're good at it. It's not all corporate and regular, yet it's high quality with high-quality guests. They're not backed by a corporate ad fueled megabrand. They even shouted out this place. What more do you want? They deserve to be paid more than whatever pittance they get from youtube play revenue. If you want a quality product or service, and you respect the integrity of the people making it, throw down some cheddar for the working man.

I'll be experiencing whatever they have to offer, personally. 

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2017, 12:18:54 AM »
I wonder what percentage of the current spectators would be willing to spend money to watch this show. Not every viewer is a Slap die hard skateboarding freak (I mean most of us) and a lot of people just watch some episodes depending on the skater invited.
I watch around 70-80% of the episodes but most of my friends who skate only watch the show every now and then if they are a fan of the guest or if they have time to kill.
Those occasional viewers will never spend a dollar on that. Also I assume kids between 12 and 18 will probably not buy it either because a lot of the guests don't mean anything for them (I mean it without disrespect but what 14 year old skater is interested about Daniel Castillo or James Craig?).

Those are assumptions but I can see the demographic being people between 25 and 45 with a job, not skating as much as they want and interested about legends like Puleo, Gino, Freddy but that would rather not pay to see Paul Hart, Daniel Espinoza or Sewa itw.

fulfillthedream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 305
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2017, 02:14:29 AM »
nine club is tight

i like spending my money on quality things

that being said i have no qualms financially supporting the nine club
Skateboarding is like jacking-off, it's that good- Jeremy Klein

[

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2017, 02:33:46 AM »
I hope they have a Slap Says portion of the show.

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2017, 03:11:52 AM »
They deserve that dollar and even more, most people maybe are not aware of how much work takes to put the files of 3 different cameras together, edit and all this stuff, also we're not talking about how much money they use in equipment.

They put one year of content for free without any sponsor, They have enough credit to ask for money, I put money in a couple of patrons to maintain a couple of websites because is some cases is almost impossible to monetize some contents.

Badmeaningood

• Rep: 25
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2017, 03:33:32 AM »
I'm really intrigued with how a live interview with Tom Penny would go, seeing as he sounds like Andre the Giant at half speed, and doesn't seem to say much other than banal platitudes when a camera has been put in front of him in the past. Hopefully he'll really open up and they won't shy away probing into his wilderness years and his travails with substances?

Cherb

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -19
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2017, 08:31:21 AM »
I hope they have a Slap Says portion of the show.