Author Topic: The Nine Club Experience?  (Read 28674 times)

GAY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3288
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
Re: The Nine Club Experience?
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2017, 08:46:12 AM »
Now I'm feeling like a jerk for never having watched it for free. :(

Tyson

• Rep: 1
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2017, 08:55:18 AM »
Sans maybe sound quality, The Bunt tops The Nine Club in every aspect -- more diverse guests, funnier, real questions, and they're willing to talk shit.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2017, 09:14:52 AM »
Now I'm feeling like a jerk for never having watched it for free. :(
normal 9 club will still be free, this is like a community edition thing where you pay a buck to be able to facetime crob...

JusticeAbberdash

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2017, 09:59:02 AM »
I don't pay for much, but I'd pay for this. As long as you aren't 'smoking-butts-off-the-sidewalk' broke a dollar isn't so bad.

wheelies

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2017, 10:25:48 AM »
I cant afford a dollar. I have to find/steal $2 in change every week to afford tobacco. But if I could I would.

maurice povich

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2017, 10:36:05 AM »
disclaimer: in this thread there are many good points from different views. Im a waffling cheapskate pessimist who finds a way to hate on things i like and these are my current opinions.

If TNC wants to be a talk show and not just a podcast they'll need a band in the corner. From the start the nine club chose to have all those cameras and and editing and knew they were doing it for free for awhile until they get sponsors or ads or whatever. Rog is a filmer so he should've had most of that equipment already. Time isnt free of course but after the initial investment on equipment the only real expense i see is Rogers Stellas lol. i get that they want to make a high quality show but as another poster pointed out, the main content in The Nine Club is the audio. i dont sit down and watch these episodes, i listen to them. I play it while i commute or while i do chores around the house or something. i dont sit there and watch and care about the video transition to kelly when he pushes the button. sometimes its cool to see the gifts the guest give the hosts tho. but the video production isnt fully needed because currently what is being said is what matters most. theres no inserted clips that require me to watch. lots of good pod casts have one camera that shows everyone at a table and the guests are all mic'ed up. the use of multiple cameras and subsequent need for editing and syncing was a choice they made. and why cant they skype with people on the monday show? and why is that a new idea. its not. tons of podcast interviews occur between two people sitting in different places chatting to their monitors with headsets and recording it.

of course a dollar isnt breaking the bank thats not the point. its the fact that in order to spend that dollar i need a credit card. if i just needed to hand over a paper buck i would. im trying to be off the gird folks and i have lots of digital content to prove it. is the whole dollar going to TNC or is half going to whatever site hosts the show.

lots of people wanna make money by YouTubing. i think these guys do too and will eventually. They have a great product and its getting lots of positive reviews. They just need to put in more time to get the subscribers. getting 27k subscribers in a year is pretty good. next year they get another 27k plus 15% more and be around 65k. the year after they will be around 100k subscribers and start to get more money from YT. im sure those guys see the amount of subscribers braille kooks and andy schrock and these other vloggers get and want be there. But that shit took more than a year to develop. its slower getting subscribers for TNC because they only post once a week. Daily video posters is who YT pays the most. TNC should find a way to post stuff mid week. Crob or Rog doing stuff to prep for the show, teasers for the next episode, video parts from guests on the show, crob rog and kelly skating (kelly is recovering still). Daily videos is what gets the YouTube money and subscribers. also during the videos they dont remind people to subscribe like they should, even though is annoying as fuck it does get people to click the button. How long did Metro do Skateline before thrasher bought it? was more than a year.

So ive been rapping on SoundCloud for the last year. i bought some expensive laptops and switches. I know everyone in the industry. I have cameos on my tracks from really respected industry members. I have 25k subscribers. I never went to music school or anything and i just started last year, but i have some really dope new content coming out. im putting out a track a week. yo i gotta get paid. time is money. Im at the level now where i cant do this for free anymore. each one of my hot new tracks is a dollar.

suppose the Tim O'connor show lasted a year. would it be time to pay to hear that shit if he was gonna start doing a video version. would you pay a dollar each week to hear an unedited no punches pulled version of skateline? would you pay a dollar to watch tampa pro? this whole pay a dollar thing is gonna snowball to a bunch of other shit costing a dollar to view also. "they charged a dollar why cant we" mentality is coming. YouTube is free to view. its free. its where TNC chose to give us the show. on the free platform. so they have baited us into liking the show on the free platform so they can take it away to a monitized platform. its cool since they did it organically.

wheelies

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2017, 10:53:35 AM »
So ive been rapping on SoundCloud for the last year. i bought some expensive laptops and switches. I know everyone in the industry.

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2017, 10:55:04 AM »
nobodys going to pay to hear you kids with speech impediments ask dumb questions everyone already knows the answers to free max b

Iceman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 433
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2017, 10:57:35 AM »
ok that quote isn't real but we need more hilarious shit talk from pete on the boards

wheelies

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2017, 11:01:47 AM »
I just want to facetime crob so I can flash my dick.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2017, 11:26:41 AM »
disclaimer: in this thread there are many good points from different views. Im a waffling cheapskate pessimist who finds a way to hate on things i like and these are my current opinions.

If TNC wants to be a talk show and not just a podcast they'll need a band in the corner. From the start the nine club chose to have all those cameras and and editing and knew they were doing it for free for awhile until they get sponsors or ads or whatever. Rog is a filmer so he should've had most of that equipment already. Time isnt free of course but after the initial investment on equipment the only real expense i see is Rogers Stellas lol. i get that they want to make a high quality show but as another poster pointed out, the main content in The Nine Club is the audio. i dont sit down and watch these episodes, i listen to them. I play it while i commute or while i do chores around the house or something. i dont sit there and watch and care about the video transition to kelly when he pushes the button. sometimes its cool to see the gifts the guest give the hosts tho. but the video production isnt fully needed because currently what is being said is what matters most. theres no inserted clips that require me to watch. lots of good pod casts have one camera that shows everyone at a table and the guests are all mic'ed up. the use of multiple cameras and subsequent need for editing and syncing was a choice they made. and why cant they skype with people on the monday show? and why is that a new idea. its not. tons of podcast interviews occur between two people sitting in different places chatting to their monitors with headsets and recording it.

of course a dollar isnt breaking the bank thats not the point. its the fact that in order to spend that dollar i need a credit card. if i just needed to hand over a paper buck i would. im trying to be off the gird folks and i have lots of digital content to prove it. is the whole dollar going to TNC or is half going to whatever site hosts the show.

lots of people wanna make money by YouTubing. i think these guys do too and will eventually. They have a great product and its getting lots of positive reviews. They just need to put in more time to get the subscribers. getting 27k subscribers in a year is pretty good. next year they get another 27k plus 15% more and be around 65k. the year after they will be around 100k subscribers and start to get more money from YT. im sure those guys see the amount of subscribers braille kooks and andy schrock and these other vloggers get and want be there. But that shit took more than a year to develop. its slower getting subscribers for TNC because they only post once a week. Daily video posters is who YT pays the most. TNC should find a way to post stuff mid week. Crob or Rog doing stuff to prep for the show, teasers for the next episode, video parts from guests on the show, crob rog and kelly skating (kelly is recovering still). Daily videos is what gets the YouTube money and subscribers. also during the videos they dont remind people to subscribe like they should, even though is annoying as fuck it does get people to click the button. How long did Metro do Skateline before thrasher bought it? was more than a year.

So ive been rapping on SoundCloud for the last year. i bought some expensive laptops and switches. I know everyone in the industry. I have cameos on my tracks from really respected industry members. I have 25k subscribers. I never went to music school or anything and i just started last year, but i have some really dope new content coming out. im putting out a track a week. yo i gotta get paid. time is money. Im at the level now where i cant do this for free anymore. each one of my hot new tracks is a dollar.

suppose the Tim O'connor show lasted a year. would it be time to pay to hear that shit if he was gonna start doing a video version. would you pay a dollar each week to hear an unedited no punches pulled version of skateline? would you pay a dollar to watch tampa pro? this whole pay a dollar thing is gonna snowball to a bunch of other shit costing a dollar to view also. "they charged a dollar why cant we" mentality is coming. YouTube is free to view. its free. its where TNC chose to give us the show. on the free platform. so they have baited us into liking the show on the free platform so they can take it away to a monitized platform. its cool since they did it organically.

You'd have to be full tech skizzy to get anyone to read that much horse shit.

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2017, 11:40:06 AM »
Does the Nine Club ever ask for donations? I know they accept them, but I think it would be worthwhile to remind people. I listen to other podcasts that remind listeners every episode or every other episode that they can make a donation, and I don't find that annoying. Honestly, if I'm not reminded to donate, I'm not donating.

essal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2017, 11:42:01 AM »
Expand Quote
nobodys going to pay to hear you kids with speech impediments ask dumb questions everyone already knows the answers to free max b
[close]

this is fucking gold

headtowall

• Rep: -13
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2017, 01:39:56 PM »
even if its $1 a week call it $4 a month thats nothing. I spent $4.10 on a coffee today.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2017, 01:49:18 PM »
I changed my mind. This is fine it's better than them pitching razors I won't use or blue fucking apron.

headtowall

• Rep: -13
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2017, 01:51:09 PM »
I changed my mind. This is fine it's better than them pitching razors I won't use or blue fucking apron.
you know that there are millions of books on Audiable? Also I heard Squarespace is super easy to use.

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2017, 02:16:42 PM »
Nine Club off free

and i'll happily pay

the canadian suit

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 145
  • Always lurking.
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2017, 03:11:40 PM »
How often do you think they've checked this thread? (Politics, industry, etc)

Probably won't be signing up for it, mostly because I have no interest in kids calling in with questions. Unless it starts and seems to be really popping with sick dudes that wouldn't be on otherwise, nahhhh.
p-shuvs and v-flips

marty mcfly

« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2017, 03:34:43 PM »
1 $ for a nine club Pappalardo Episode  ::)

coyote2425

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 128
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2017, 06:36:56 PM »
The level of entitlement the internet has created baffles me, but it really shouldn't. I love the "buying a skate video" comparison, but most kids these days don't even know what one of those are -- or that they used to cost money.

The show is still free. If you want to pay for the extra shit, go for it. If not, quit whining.

These dude's deserve to see something for the time/money they've put into it. If that bothers you, you've clearly never created anything you're proud of. We're lucky any part of this is still free. I challenge you to consistently put out a comparable product without a source of income tied to it, or the desire for it after producing it.

Regarding research: Get a better argument. Brink researched the shit out of guests before Weekend Buzz interviews, and people still found reasons to shit on the show.

For real, though -- $1. If you can't afford $12/year for something you really think you need and enjoy, you have bigger problems than The Nine Club charging $1/month for extra content.

gig.

• Rep: 0
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2017, 07:40:10 PM »
Ha , I can't believe that one dude is upset they have only done this for a year. Usually with most jobs you get paid the moment ...you start the job. Only in skateboarding do people think it's ok for everything to be free. If it's entertaining , pay for it so the people can keep doing it or don't and then it goes away. All the dudes on that pod probably make little to no money even with their sponsors.

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 322
  • Low Scovilles
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2017, 08:05:05 PM »

I think bartard might be Shawn Powers.
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

skate_bored

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2017, 05:35:01 AM »
I personally like the format now and would prefer they just do 3-4 ad reads at the beginning that I can skip, like Rogan or some of the other big podcasts. That said - they definitely deserve to be paid and the whole time I've been listening I have been wondering why in the world they haven't put a few ads in there. Anyone who thinks all content should be free is naive.

drcroc

« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2017, 03:55:37 AM »
The James Craig episode was interesting.  Dr Crob? Wait, that's just me.  I'm not sure if I'd pay to watch their interviews but if they start promoting their merch more I can see myself falling victim to a good old fashioned marketing campaign... & buying a mug from them or whatever.

The show is pretty good, especially when it's a guest I want to hear from then I'm fully psyched. I own a Young and Reckless t shirt so clearly I fell for it when Drama jumped out of that building to promote his brand.  
    Just slapping ads or a pay-per-view service on something isn't quite enough to make me pony up that $1.00  And yes, I know I spend more on a crappy street vendor coffee every day if I have to, but for some reason the idea of using the Internet to buy that coffee through Paypal or venmo or whatever just isn't my thing and I'm under 30.

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #84 on: September 04, 2017, 03:32:13 AM »
I personally like the format now and would prefer they just do 3-4 ad reads at the beginning that I can skip, like Rogan or some of the other big podcasts. That said - they definitely deserve to be paid and the whole time I've been listening I have been wondering why in the world they haven't put a few ads in there. Anyone who thinks all content should be free is naive.
I totally agree with you. Plus in my opinion they are already advertising products when they talk about pro models shoes or companies. I could see something like a 10/20 second ad at the beggining of the show with the guys presenting a product, whatever product then skip to the guest.

Buck Russell

• Rep: -318
  • Bug or gnat?
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #85 on: September 04, 2017, 03:49:47 AM »
The level of entitlement the internet has created baffles me, but it really shouldn't.
stupid doofus opinion. internet created easy way to distribute content. anything good eventually gets scooped up by proper channels.

there's no situation that's gonna make this paywall thing work. get smarter.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #86 on: September 04, 2017, 10:58:34 AM »
How many people do they expect to pay? How much could (do?) they make on ads and product placement?

Just trying to figure what kind of money is really at play here. Hundreds? Low thousands?

I don't begrudge them any effort to make more money but having seen how nearly impossible it is for legitimately successful print media to thrive behind a paywall I have my doubts that this is a great move.

essal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: September 04, 2017, 11:28:10 AM »
I assume that pretty much every guests who is on there who talks about a product or videopart is a paying guest, and of course Adidas and Lakai pay for their episodes.
They have a reach of ~50k views so that's your baseline. In print 50k issues would cost you a bit, but I'm not sure if it translates to digital stuff.

Who will pay? All those kids in the youtube comment section and a couple of dudes on slap.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
« Reply #88 on: September 04, 2017, 11:31:24 AM »
I assume that pretty much every guests who is on there who talks about a product or videopart is a paying guest, and of course Adidas and Lakai pay for their episodes.
They have a reach of ~50k views so that's your baseline. In print 50k issues would cost you a bit, but I'm not sure if it translates to digital stuff.

Who will pay? All those kids in the youtube comment section and a couple of dudes on slap.

Yeah, seems like they average mid- to high 40k per episode. I wonder what percent they figure will pay for the experience.
10% would be $4,500 a week. $200k+ a year
1% gets them $450 a week. $20k+ a year.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1355
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2017, 01:52:55 PM »
eager to show of your GG Allin peen eh?