Author Topic: Culturally important video parts.  (Read 5460 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Culturally important video parts.
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2020, 08:03:25 AM »
I'd like to put Pops fully flared part. Since everyone watched fully flared since it was released, i think that part
acted in the skaters' subconscious, and helped shape the current form of east coast skateboarding.

Really divisive part at the time but I can see how it eventually birthed the East Coast revival starting in Mindfield (JJ, Dill, Dylan).
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

heckler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2020, 08:16:58 AM »
Expand Quote
I'd like to put Pops fully flared part. Since everyone watched fully flared since it was released, i think that part
acted in the skaters' subconscious, and helped shape the current form of east coast skateboarding.
[close]

Really divisive part at the time but I can see how it eventually birthed the East Coast revival starting in Mindfield (JJ, Dill, Dylan).
It did not. Fully Flared and Mind Field were barely released a year apart, so any sort of East Coast revival kicked off in Mind Field was mostly in full swing before Popps' part had a major impact. In fact, Popps' skating at the time (basic-ish tricks on cutty quick foot spots) is the exact opposite of what Jake Johnson was doing in his Loose Ends part before Fully Flared was released (bringing tech tricks to rough and gnarly east coast spots). Dill had lived in NYC for years before Fully Flared drop, so if anything, he inspired Popps' style of skating. Not really sure how Dylan factors into the equation here, other than he had a few NYC tricks in his Mind Field part.

The biggest impact of Popps' part was that it brought the "spot hunter" style of skateboarding to a larger audience via Fully Flared, which definitely influenced kids to look at spots like the Verizon Banks from a different perspective. It also served as a benchmark for the next stage of Strobeck (B&W mini-clip Strobeck), eventually leading to the cherry kids, and possibly served as an inspiration to them. If anything, I'd say the Charles Manson clip is just as significant as Popps' Fully Flared part, if not more so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiCSy5FYbrY

Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2020, 09:47:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
It did not. Fully Flared and Mind Field were barely released a year apart, so any sort of East Coast revival kicked off in Mind Field was mostly in full swing before Popps' part had a major impact. In fact, Popps' skating at the time (basic-ish tricks on cutty quick foot spots) is the exact opposite of what Jake Johnson was doing in his Loose Ends part before Fully Flared was released (bringing tech tricks to rough and gnarly east coast spots). Dill had lived in NYC for years before Fully Flared drop, so if anything, he inspired Popps' style of skating. Not really sure how Dylan factors into the equation here, other than he had a few NYC tricks in his Mind Field part.

The biggest impact of Popps' part was that it brought the "spot hunter" style of skateboarding to a larger audience via Fully Flared, which definitely influenced kids to look at spots like the Verizon Banks from a different perspective. It also served as a benchmark for the next stage of Strobeck (B&W mini-clip Strobeck), eventually leading to the cherry kids, and possibly served as an inspiration to them. If anything, I'd say the Charles Manson clip is just as significant as Popps' Fully Flared part, if not more so.

That's a fair point. I'm not from the states, so there's that. That's my view as an outsider. Pops also skated how he wanted to skate, which for me is what makes this part so Punk Rock and influencial. About the spot hunter thing, i totally agree with you.

heckler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2020, 10:15:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
That's a fair point. I'm not from the states, so there's that. That's my view as an outsider. Pops also skated how he wanted to skate, which for me is what makes this part so Punk Rock and influencial. About the spot hunter thing, i totally agree with you.
I actually mostly agree with your original point! I just don't think it's as simple as saying "Popps is from NYC and people recognized this part, so everything in NYC afterwards was a reaction to this part." The East Coast revival was already underway when that part dropped.
Ha SLAP's resident libtard and NY pro cocksucker.

brucewillis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • Die Hard. www.casualskateshop.com.br
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2020, 10:35:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
I actually mostly agree with your original point! I just don't think it's as simple as saying "Popps is from NYC and people recognized this part, so everything in NYC afterwards was a reaction to this part." The East Coast revival was already underway when that part dropped.
Oh, for sure! That's why i said it helped. I'm a sucker for bad brains also so... that part resonates a lot for me and it's my favorite from fully flared.

zaymfstroud

• Rep: -2
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2020, 01:04:55 PM »
Antwuan Dixon in Baker 3
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 01:22:47 PM by zaymfstroud »

MattStober1

• Rep: 0
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2020, 03:23:49 PM »
Rick Howard in Girl Goldfish, one of the first Candadians to turn pro. Black Label Label Kills as it was one of the first videos to have weird pros

Genericwhitemale

« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2020, 04:06:05 PM »
Danny Way in The DC Video
John Cardiel in Sight Unseen
Chris Cole in New Blood and Ride the Sky
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 05:23:16 PM by Genericwhitemale »

Hopeless

• Rep: -1
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2020, 05:16:54 PM »
For the evolution and development of the UK skate scene, I know Chris Pulman's Heroin 'Live from Antarctica' part played a huge significance for the majority of your favourite, current day skaters from London.

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2020, 07:28:52 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13bwZ0_5IVg

Easily the most influential part of all time, this is why I skate
Nbd’s for dayz.  Why is he only wearing wristgaurds when he is skating in his garage?

veritas

« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2020, 07:33:17 PM »
PJLWHL for sure off the shock value alone

Wenning in Photosynthesis, but also Dill. Him having last part didnt make sense until years later.

Koston's ender in Yeah Right was huge

Reynolds and Spanky in This is Skateboarding had an entire generation dressing like pirates

Szechuan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • BadDreams nightmarecollective.
    • BadDreams nightmarecollective. 📺 avatar image
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2020, 07:50:24 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13bwZ0_5IVg

Easily the most influential part of all time, this is why I skate
Not gonna lie. Between me and a bunch of punks and skaters there's like 16 Falcon Squad tattoos lurking around the southeast. His movies are truly amazing in all the best ways.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2020, 10:12:22 PM »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

AssMountain

• Rep: 30
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2020, 02:13:10 AM »
For the evolution and development of the UK skate scene, I know Chris Pulman's Heroin 'Live from Antarctica' part played a huge significance for the majority of your favourite, current day skaters from London.

Good part.

Also got me into Morrissey so there's that too.

Once I was alone I just laid on the futon listening to Leonard Cohen and thinking about the other girl I liked and missed.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2020, 03:40:00 AM »
Not trying to be the reanimator here but these need to be talked about.

Jason Lee - Video Days
Julien Stranger -The Spitfire Video
Julien Stranger - Skypager
John Cardiel - Cow
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2020, 08:21:44 AM »

The Reason - Stevie Williams
Modus Operandi - Mike Carroll
Sight Unseen - Cardiel
Feedback - Dill & AVE
Sixth Sense - Kalis
Free your Mind - Dan Drehobl
A Time To Shine - Dylan

This basically sums up what I would go and say.

I would honestly say;

Tom Knox - Vase
Gino - Yeah Right
Guy -  Mouse.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2020, 08:28:59 AM »

That part was probably one of my favorite openers to a skate vid. Just love how it doesn't really fit in with the rest of the vid and divided a few people's opinions on his skating.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

biggietoms

• Rep: 8
  • take acid
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2020, 08:07:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

yeah, but Dill in Skate More tho. How has no mentioned that part yet. Swear to god thats dills best part and most influential.

Ziad

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -103
    • bouklao.com avatar image
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2020, 02:12:06 AM »
Mike Mo in Fully Flared had a huge impact on the skate scene in Alexandria Egypt.
There is a spot called "Mike Mo" in Alexandria only because it looks like the ledge spot he did his ender at.The music was great for that part too.

Anthony Papalardo's part in fully flared had an impact as well it was simple and so good. to me personally it made me feel like I can skate like that not just watching amazing skating that I know I'll never be able to do and Bad Brains music went so good with it.

Fred Gall in Inhabitants
Fred Gall's skating + Black Sabbath is the best combination

Ryan Sheckler in Almost Round Three to me personally it was one of my favorites when I was a kid. First time I watched it I was probably 12 or 13 and seeing a kid around that age skate so good hyped me up, all the others were adults I felt I related more to Sheckler's part as a kid.

x

• Rep: -8
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2020, 07:21:01 AM »

goo goo goo joob

• Rep: 40
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2020, 09:07:47 AM »
Black Label Label Kills as it was one of the first videos to have weird pros

Yes, Ben Gilley looked like he barely knew how to skate and the dude was just going for it. maybe not largely influential to the skate world as a whole but it had me huckin beyond my skill set at the time.

Did Guy Mariano’s two song comeback part influence more skaters to get sober?

Half of Modus was filmed at night which seemed to spark a trend for a while

Not a fan personally, but the Supreme videos have had a lasting impact on how people film and edit nowadays

And although not a single part per se, but I feel like Kenny Reed had a lot of people traveling to less blown out locations to film more interesting video parts

expired

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2020, 09:16:40 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4WYzfkiA2s

The greenapple videos edited by Ryan McGuigan, for their influence on current videos, bronze.. etc

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2020, 09:37:44 AM »
all of Brian Wenning's parts are for the culture

mushroom slice

« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2020, 10:18:18 AM »
I have always found the end credits/b sides montages of skateboard videos to hold some real gems. Videos like questionable and love child for instance. Before social media the goofoff throwaway stuff thrown into the end credits was all you really got of a skaters personality and I guess really all you needed in retrospect.

Morning Jazz Radio

• Rep: 20
  • Have your coffee with some jazz!
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2020, 11:18:33 AM »
https://youtu.be/qabGh_xf9Cw

I always come back to Modus - I love BA's part.
https://youtu.be/zWuoKjZVNmE

Posting the Cardiel Memory Screen because it should be considered as historical evidence of human greatness when advanced beings from a distant world come to study humans.

https://youtu.be/h-lC1puB28Y

Also, World's Trilogy.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 01:21:11 PM by Morning Jazz Radio »

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2020, 11:59:54 AM »

quaintly

• Rep: 10
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2020, 01:24:10 PM »
How on earth does no one mention natas in streets on fire ?! Or wheels of fire either . The cultural influence of those 2 parts knows no bounds

Style Police

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 765
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2020, 03:12:53 PM »
Matt Hensley