Author Topic: Slappy Curbs  (Read 2797 times)

Big Baby Jesus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
Slappy Curbs
« on: November 03, 2020, 03:34:57 AM »
I have some curbs near me that are perfect for slappies but rough and dry, not painted. What do I need to do to make them skate able? Mason bricks, paint? Any tips would be much appreciated.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
Re: Slappy Curbs
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2020, 04:04:37 AM »
Rub brick and two cans of rustoleom my dude
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 04:27:07 AM »
(1) Brick rub
(2) Rustoleum High Performance Protective Enamel Paint (color to choose), brushes
(3) Spray-on clear lacquer

Brick rub the edge down so it is relatively smooth.

Slather on a shitload of the enamel paint. 2-3 coats works the best. It does not have to be totally dry between coats, but should harden up a bit.

Once paint is totally dry, spray with clear lacquer. At least two coasts. Takes about 15 min to sort of dry, but about 12 hours to REALLY dry.

Curb will skate like butter.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 04:43:43 AM »
Even though it’s an anti-lacquering song I recommend playing the following on the way to the spot:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GCzT-EagbRI

“You can’t show the coping who’s the boss.”

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 07:29:38 PM »
I agree with most of everything said so far but I suggest not using paint, especially if you think it will cause too much attention. For example, if they are at a school or a business. Ive had great luck with just a few heavy coats of Spray lacquer about a can for each section (~8-10ft) of curb. Use the Rustoleum clear Enamel if you can find it, but it's not imperative. I just skated my curb spot for the first time in a few months and didn't have to wax it at all (I'm the only person I know of that skates the spot) I believe I didn't use the Enamel kind either, almost certain it was a cheaper brand. Don't get caught up too much in brands, just put several coats and you'll be good.

Also, get all the dust off before clear coating.

Big Baby Jesus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 268
    • Suciu avatar image
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 06:19:41 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. It is at a school so I need to be somewhat discrete when doing it. I have a polar football ready to go so I'm to try and get it cleaned up over then next two weekends. I could have some really fun sessions with that deck and these curbs.
flat spotted 3 times in 2 weeks, other than that awesome wheels

Baby is gonna be raised by Max and Cyrus

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2021, 09:55:46 AM »
Don't want to start a new thread for this, but:

I was out today looking for a curb to prep, and on my way I found another cub that someone already rubbed and enameled. What is the etiquette for skating this?

I get psyched when I see people skating (or that people have been skating) other curbs that I've prepped, but it occurs to me that other people might not be so juiced on it.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2137
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2021, 10:23:14 AM »

I was out today looking for a curb to prep, and on my way I found another cub that someone already rubbed and enameled. What is the etiquette for skating this?

I get psyched when I see people skating (or that people have been skating) other curbs that I've prepped, but it occurs to me that other people might not be so juiced on it.
Skate that shit. Curbs are for everyone

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2021, 10:55:03 AM »
Yeah skate it. I’ve also gotten a few spots going and they only get better the more they’re skated.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 04:43:49 PM »

I’ve prepped a bunch of curbs around my city and I get stoked when I see people skating them. Go for it. Just be respectful, clean up your stuff and don’t blow out the spot

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 06:22:14 PM »
If the owner of the curb gives you any guff, you let me know ok?  Daddy can bring the ruckus when he needs to.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2021, 11:00:26 AM »
Tip for spraying paint or enamel: use a towel or some other soft fabric to wrap the spray can so that it isn’t as loud or visible when you’re spraying.

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2021, 11:39:26 AM »
That shit is for the people by the people. As long as you leave the spot in as good or better condition than when you got there, then there is no reason to sweat it.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 03:16:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’ve prepped a bunch of curbs around my city and I get stoked when I see people skating them. Go for it. Just be respectful, clean up your stuff and don’t blow out the spot

Defo. I get a serious send of pride when I see people ripping on the ledge.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in