Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151944 times)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #1050 on: October 15, 2020, 03:30:42 PM »
If you do fakie tres really really really slow, then its kinda similar-ish to a regular tre. The faster you go on a fakie tre, the less effort its going to take and itll also feel more different to a regular tre. The way I keep fakie tres under control is: the faster I go, the less toe I hang off of the tail on my back foot, that way they don't overspin as much when you scoop/pop. If I'm rolling really fast (by my standards) and doing a fakie tre, my back foot is pretty much in fakie ollie position. Obviously you'll still have to mess around with weight distribution and technique but this definitely helps me with keeping it under control.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1890
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1051 on: October 15, 2020, 07:14:58 PM »
Hey all, I requested for the mods to create a separate child section for Trick Tips. This thread and "What trick are you working on right now" is chock full of good insights and it can be tough to filter out on a per-trick basis. I'll spend some time this weekend sifting out the nuggets of info on 1 trick (360 flips) and compile them into a new thread on that section, see how that plays out.

You guys have been instrumental in helping me improve in my 30s; hope that the new section can keep the positive vibes and "secret sauce" flowing.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #1052 on: October 23, 2020, 02:07:23 AM »
Hey all, I requested for the mods to create a separate child section for Trick Tips. This thread and "What trick are you working on right now" is chock full of good insights and it can be tough to filter out on a per-trick basis. I'll spend some time this weekend sifting out the nuggets of info on 1 trick (360 flips) and compile them into a new thread on that section, see how that plays out.

You guys have been instrumental in helping me improve in my 30s; hope that the new section can keep the positive vibes and "secret sauce" flowing.
You rule                                 You rule                                                                  You rule

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 962
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1053 on: October 23, 2020, 03:56:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
fakie heelflip.
[close]

Oh fucking god just stop!

The absolute ultimate assknife trick in existence! I used to have these on lock until "the incident".  I was just the right height at the time where I got stabbed a solid inch deep in the taint, and no doubt I was left bloody and violated.

Nowadays when I try them I just automatically turn backside (no pun intended).
[close]

LMAO EASIEST FLIP TRICK FOR ME

Me too. Besides pressure flips.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

dallou

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #1054 on: October 24, 2020, 02:19:44 AM »
Fakie flip and fakie heel. I am always sleeping out. I never stay on the board.
Also half cab, I know I should just try for an hour but I always forget. I only do them in games of SKATE. I can still do them but they are ugly as fuck. And when I try to pop them it does a weird half cab heel.

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #1055 on: October 24, 2020, 05:23:50 AM »
I’m gonna start learning kickflips once I learn to tweak my backside 180s, and this thread is starting to scare the shit out of me lmao

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #1056 on: October 24, 2020, 09:38:13 AM »
I’m gonna start learning kickflips once I learn to tweak my backside 180s, and this thread is starting to scare the shit out of me lmao
i would throw a couple of kickflip attempts in your sessions while still working on your back 180s especially if you don’t get to skate too often. I’ve let myself get stuck on some tricks for way too long. You can work on both

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #1057 on: October 24, 2020, 09:51:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i would throw a couple of kickflip attempts in your sessions while still working on your back 180s especially if you don’t get to skate too often. I’ve let myself get stuck on some tricks for way too long. You can work on both

I have less and less time to skate nowadays due to uni  :-\  Eh whatever I guess.

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
« Reply #1058 on: October 24, 2020, 10:15:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

I have less and less time to skate nowadays due to uni  :-\  Eh whatever I guess.
Damn, i got ya. You just have to make the most out of those sessions whenever they come.

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #1059 on: October 24, 2020, 10:22:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
Damn, i got ya. You just have to make the most out of those sessions whenever they come.

True. I managed to overcome fear to commit so I’m making fast progress so there’s that to balance it out I guess  :'(

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #1060 on: October 26, 2020, 08:41:48 PM »
i keep popping off the toe side of the tail its driving me nuts

doesn't happen for kickflip or heelflip, only on ollies.

theSketchLord

• Rep: 41
    • https://images.scribblelive.com/2021/1/4/ca9a0ca8-586d-41e3-ad94-131825707ea0.gif avatar image
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1061 on: October 27, 2020, 04:37:31 AM »
Honestly, Ollies.
I had them down as a teen, to the point I remember hearing a kid say "you should see how high he can ollie" one time.
Just can't get them, it's my biggest hangup and means I don't skate as often as I want to as there's nothing worse than a grown man who can't ollie.
I understand the mechanics and have explained it to kids learning in the past and for ages it was like muscle memory but last year, it's been impossible to get them down.

I've just given up on them at this point.
"Broke the tail, like a well oiled snail"

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1062 on: October 27, 2020, 05:52:06 AM »
Switch pop shuvs. I can do them but they feel and look awful.

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #1063 on: October 27, 2020, 05:53:59 AM »
every once in a while I spend 20 minutes  just doing ollies to get the timing right in order to pop them higher.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #1064 on: October 27, 2020, 06:35:52 AM »
Switch pop shuvs. I can do them but they feel and look awful.

Big toe in the center of the tail and not on the toe-side is the secret. Pop from the right position and the board will just do the trick by itself and stay flat. Insist on keeping your shoulders parallel and they'll feel a lot more in control. It's actually one of my favorite tricks to see done proper and always feels really cool once you've cleaned it up.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1065 on: October 27, 2020, 08:11:06 PM »
My ambition may be getting the better of me but for the first time in my life I think I want to try flipping into my tricks. My kickflip has gotten better with more skate sessions and consistent enough. What would be a good trick to start with?

KF Manual?
KF BS 50-50?
KF FS Board? (Dream trick but I can barely BS Kickflip and it rockets like crazy)

I've heard that FS Kickflip variations (KF BS Noseslide, Boardslide) are way tougher.

Also if anyone has tips to send my way I'm all ears.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #1066 on: October 27, 2020, 08:46:48 PM »
My ambition may be getting the better of me but for the first time in my life I think I want to try flipping into my tricks. My kickflip has gotten better with more skate sessions and consistent enough. What would be a good trick to start with?

KF Manual?
KF BS 50-50?
KF FS Board? (Dream trick but I can barely BS Kickflip and it rockets like crazy)

I've heard that FS Kickflip variations (KF BS Noseslide, Boardslide) are way tougher.

Might sound ambitious but if you have hardflips good, hardflip front noseslide is sooo easy. Tre flips also feel significantly easier in to grinds than kickflips. Fakie back heel frontside noseslide is too fucking easy.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1067 on: October 27, 2020, 08:55:13 PM »

KF Manual?
KF BS 50-50?

Flips into stuff were never my forte but kickflip manual is a good accessible one and will clean up your general technique on kickflips up stuff as a side effect (just keeping trying them into the manual will make them more automatic). Kickflip front board used to come easy on shitty obstacles when I was a kid but nowadays they scare the shit out of me (and so does kickflip back nose), still maybe try those or kickflip front nose. Don't forget about the possibilities with heelflips too, for instance I find heelflip front nose to be much more natural than kickflip front nose, and I rarely ever do heelflips compared to kickflips so it's not like it makes sense.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #1068 on: October 28, 2020, 02:24:31 AM »
for the first time in my life I think I want to try flipping into my tricks. What would be a good trick to start with?

hardflip front noseslide

Tre flips in to grinds

Fakie back heel frontside noseslide

Yeah great places to start
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #1069 on: October 28, 2020, 08:35:50 AM »

KF Manual?
KF BS 50-50?

My kickflips suck ass but I can do kf manual, and I spent like 4 hours one day and got a kf fs5050 on a 10 inch ledge. My friend says kf bs5050 significantly easier but my bs5050s suck.

if you can do em its just a matter of trying! Go for it!

just be warned that flipping into grinds ur gonna land in like darkslide sometimes and fuck up ur grip if u care about that.

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #1070 on: October 28, 2020, 01:23:44 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Might sound ambitious but if you have hardflips good, hardflip front noseslide is sooo easy. Tre flips also feel significantly easier in to grinds than kickflips. Fakie back heel frontside noseslide is too fucking easy.

that doesnt make sense. half cab heel nose? or fakie front heel front nose

Lobster, flip back 5050 is by far the easiest one to figure out, that and kickflip manual. both are great building blocks to start with

Nigel Houston

« Reply #1071 on: October 29, 2020, 06:15:42 PM »
Proper frontside stand-up grinds on ramp. I mean proper 5-0 grinds. Decked. Not scraping the coping from below. So much harder than it looks.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #1072 on: October 30, 2020, 07:39:17 AM »
FS Noseslides will be the death of me. I have FS crooks, kickflip FS crooks, BS 180 nosegrinds which all have a similar motion but a basic noseslide is impossible for me to slide and hold.

Anyone else run into this issue?

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #1073 on: October 30, 2020, 08:25:16 AM »
FS Noseslides will be the death of me. I have FS crooks, kickflip FS crooks, BS 180 nosegrinds which all have a similar motion but a basic noseslide is impossible for me to slide and hold.

You’re turning you shoulders in to the ledge too much. Had this same problem for years. I had to relearn how to Ollie in to the stall but I’d look over my shoulders instead of completely facing the ledge. This did wonders

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1074 on: October 30, 2020, 10:04:43 AM »

WTF is wrong with you those are all.my dream tricks!? I can FS Noseslide consistent but have to work on FS crooks and my 180 Nosegrinds are still a pipe dream but I'm working on it regularly.

How are your ollie-ing into the trick? To me FS noseslide is a different trick because you want to ollie just just enough into the side of the ledge and hold the slide, you pop a lot lower and let your front foot do a lot of the heavy lifting. For crooks and 180 nosegrind you have to get a decent pop up and above the ledge so your truck can get nice and pinched into the ledge. Everytime I 1/2 ass those tricks I end up in a noseslide.

Like chatbot mentioned, control the rotation so your baseplate gets nice and snug into the ledge. Stand tall and look over your shoulder and forward, you can look down at your feet if you want to roll out fakie.

Pop lower than you think and look forward.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1075 on: October 30, 2020, 10:54:09 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

WTF is wrong with you those are all.my dream tricks!? I can FS Noseslide consistent but have to work on FS crooks and my 180 Nosegrinds are still a pipe dream but I'm working on it regularly.

How are your ollie-ing into the trick? To me FS noseslide is a different trick because you want to ollie just just enough into the side of the ledge and hold the slide, you pop a lot lower and let your front foot do a lot of the heavy lifting. For crooks and 180 nosegrind you have to get a decent pop up and above the ledge so your truck can get nice and pinched into the ledge. Everytime I 1/2 ass those tricks I end up in a noseslide.

Like chatbot mentioned, control the rotation so your baseplate gets nice and snug into the ledge. Stand tall and look over your shoulder and forward, you can look down at your feet if you want to roll out fakie.

I disagree with the pop lower part. Really got get on top of it like the front crooks, so Id say pop accordingly to get right on top. If you slip out (front foot slid away and body doesnt follow) your not getting on top of it enough. And look forward (head and shoulder placement).
If you have front crooks, the noseslide cant be that far away...

Good luck.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1076 on: October 30, 2020, 07:37:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I disagree with the pop lower part. Really got get on top of it like the front crooks, so Id say pop accordingly to get right on top. If you slip out (front foot slid away and body doesnt follow) your not getting on top of it enough. And look forward (head and shoulder placement).
If you have front crooks, the noseslide cant be that far away...

Good luck.

Said it better than I did. Pop just high enough to get in and onto the ledge. Don't forget your back door if not you'll leave the rest of your body behind.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1077 on: October 30, 2020, 08:59:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

WTF is wrong with you those are all.my dream tricks!?

lol yeah I was just going to say I have the opposite issue, I have decent frontside noseslides but my kickflip frontside crooked grinds are non-existent, plz hlp.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #1078 on: November 03, 2020, 07:19:30 AM »
Varial flips have been doing my head in for months, I had them on lock then randomly lost them about 6 months ago, they were pissing me off hugely as I knew I could do them but I started to majorly overthink various aspects of the trick after a couple of sessions where I just couldn't land any.

Getting back to skating the last few weeks post ankle roll, and thought I would give them a blast today... i'm not sure if the planets aligned or something, but managed to get them back and landed a good handful. I'm on an 8.25 now vs the 7.5/7.75s I was skating before, so that could have something to do with it.

Didn't think about them too much, just decided to throw a few, and hey presto.

Will be interesting to see if I can get them fully dialled in again or if they're going to be one of those good day/bad day tricks for me.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 126
« Reply #1079 on: November 06, 2020, 09:27:41 AM »
This is the greatest thread of all time. Already learned back 180s and back 50-50s and cleaned up my front shuvs.

Still need to work on those flip tricks though
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest