Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 122017 times)

Jurfin and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 455
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #1080 on: October 30, 2020, 10:04:43 AM »
FS Noseslides will be the death of me. I have FS crooks, kickflip FS crooks, BS 180 nosegrinds which all have a similar motion but a basic noseslide is impossible for me to slide and hold.

Anyone else run into this issue?

WTF is wrong with you those are all.my dream tricks!? I can FS Noseslide consistent but have to work on FS crooks and my 180 Nosegrinds are still a pipe dream but I'm working on it regularly.

How are your ollie-ing into the trick? To me FS noseslide is a different trick because you want to ollie just just enough into the side of the ledge and hold the slide, you pop a lot lower and let your front foot do a lot of the heavy lifting. For crooks and 180 nosegrind you have to get a decent pop up and above the ledge so your truck can get nice and pinched into the ledge. Everytime I 1/2 ass those tricks I end up in a noseslide.

Like chatbot mentioned, control the rotation so your baseplate gets nice and snug into the ledge. Stand tall and look over your shoulder and forward, you can look down at your feet if you want to roll out fakie.

Pop lower than you think and look forward.
Did any of you guys ever notice that if you took off the end "er" from his name, moved the "b" to after the "i" and then added an "l" to the "b" that you just moved, you'd spell "Bible"?

sbmfj

• Rep: 15
« Reply #1081 on: October 30, 2020, 10:54:09 AM »
Expand Quote
FS Noseslides will be the death of me. I have FS crooks, kickflip FS crooks, BS 180 nosegrinds which all have a similar motion but a basic noseslide is impossible for me to slide and hold.

[close]

WTF is wrong with you those are all.my dream tricks!? I can FS Noseslide consistent but have to work on FS crooks and my 180 Nosegrinds are still a pipe dream but I'm working on it regularly.

How are your ollie-ing into the trick? To me FS noseslide is a different trick because you want to ollie just just enough into the side of the ledge and hold the slide, you pop a lot lower and let your front foot do a lot of the heavy lifting. For crooks and 180 nosegrind you have to get a decent pop up and above the ledge so your truck can get nice and pinched into the ledge. Everytime I 1/2 ass those tricks I end up in a noseslide.

Like chatbot mentioned, control the rotation so your baseplate gets nice and snug into the ledge. Stand tall and look over your shoulder and forward, you can look down at your feet if you want to roll out fakie.

I disagree with the pop lower part. Really got get on top of it like the front crooks, so Id say pop accordingly to get right on top. If you slip out (front foot slid away and body doesnt follow) your not getting on top of it enough. And look forward (head and shoulder placement).
If you have front crooks, the noseslide cant be that far away...

Good luck.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1082 on: October 30, 2020, 07:37:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I disagree with the pop lower part. Really got get on top of it like the front crooks, so Id say pop accordingly to get right on top. If you slip out (front foot slid away and body doesnt follow) your not getting on top of it enough. And look forward (head and shoulder placement).
If you have front crooks, the noseslide cant be that far away...

Good luck.

Said it better than I did. Pop just high enough to get in and onto the ledge. Don't forget your back door if not you'll leave the rest of your body behind.
Did any of you guys ever notice that if you took off the end "er" from his name, moved the "b" to after the "i" and then added an "l" to the "b" that you just moved, you'd spell "Bible"?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 855
« Reply #1083 on: October 30, 2020, 08:59:05 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

WTF is wrong with you those are all.my dream tricks!?

lol yeah I was just going to say I have the opposite issue, I have decent frontside noseslides but my kickflip frontside crooked grinds are non-existent, plz hlp.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 10
« Reply #1084 on: November 03, 2020, 07:19:30 AM »
Varial flips have been doing my head in for months, I had them on lock then randomly lost them about 6 months ago, they were pissing me off hugely as I knew I could do them but I started to majorly overthink various aspects of the trick after a couple of sessions where I just couldn't land any.

Getting back to skating the last few weeks post ankle roll, and thought I would give them a blast today... i'm not sure if the planets aligned or something, but managed to get them back and landed a good handful. I'm on an 8.25 now vs the 7.5/7.75s I was skating before, so that could have something to do with it.

Didn't think about them too much, just decided to throw a few, and hey presto.

Will be interesting to see if I can get them fully dialled in again or if they're going to be one of those good day/bad day tricks for me.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 61
« Reply #1085 on: November 06, 2020, 09:27:41 AM »
This is the greatest thread of all time. Already learned back 180s and back 50-50s and cleaned up my front shuvs.

Still need to work on those flip tricks though
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

Skatebeard

« Reply #1086 on: November 06, 2020, 09:47:12 AM »
Went out again yesterday and smashed out a few more varials, so it seems i've got them back (touch wood).

Fakie varials definately easier of the two...starting to realise that I seem to strongly favour Fakie tricks on flatground, easier to catch, feel and look nicer, and more consistent.

slappy50

• Rep: 2
  • gear madness abounds
« Reply #1087 on: November 11, 2020, 11:43:09 PM »
ollies. literally ollies. for how simple and fundamental they are, they are becoming the bane of my life! iíve heard people say it took them 6 months to get decent ollies and i was kinda surprised but now that iím learning them myself itís understandable why it takes so long. i can do other stuff too, i like skating transition and can do other basic tricks that donít require ollies. it just seems like iíve hit a wall on my skating where i gotta learn how to ollie at long last. and so the battle begins.. with that, anyone got any pointers/secrets that come to mind thatíll help a beginner out?

shalom pals
niggling

[/quote]

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1088 on: November 12, 2020, 12:00:35 AM »
ollies. literally ollies. for how simple and fundamental they are, they are becoming the bane of my life! iíve heard people say it took them 6 months to get decent ollies and i was kinda surprised but now that iím learning them myself itís understandable why it takes so long. i can do other stuff too, i like skating transition and can do other basic tricks that donít require ollies. it just seems like iíve hit a wall on my skating where i gotta learn how to ollie at long last. and so the battle begins.. with that, anyone got any pointers/secrets that come to mind thatíll help a beginner out?

shalom pals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrOCMjotAuw&ab_channel=JustKeepSkating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZhMXWkPsWw&t=24s&ab_channel=JustKeepSkating

If you got the fundamentals down then it's a matter of timing and muscle memory, while not neglecting body posture. Body posture basics like not dipping your head, hunching your shoulders too much or sticking your ass out too much.

Post up a video if you feel so inclined so we can judge you for you choice of setup and shoes. But mostly to give pointers on technique.

slappy50

• gear madness abounds
« Reply #1089 on: November 12, 2020, 12:08:05 AM »
Expand Quote

shalom pals
[close]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrOCMjotAuw&ab_channel=JustKeepSkating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZhMXWkPsWw&t=24s&ab_channel=JustKeepSkating

If you got the fundamentals down then it's a matter of timing and muscle memory, while not neglecting body posture. Body posture basics like not dipping your head, hunching your shoulders too much or sticking your ass out too much.

Post up a video if you feel so inclined so we can judge you for you choice of setup and shoes. But mostly to give pointers on technique.
canít post video (idk how rn lmao) but my setup is an 8.75 anti hero with ace 55s and like 50mm conical fills 101a + 1/8 riser. oh also skating blazer mids or rowan pros

i think iím having trouble getting my foot to travel up the board. like how itís supposed to kinda roll and slide up the board? when i try to do that my foot comes off the board while i ďpopĒ, and then bonks the nose when the board comes up.

and also like when iím tryna ďpopĒ iím keeping my back foot on the board too long and not *really* jumping but that comes with time/practice i think
niggling

[/quote]

Stu Pickles

« Reply #1090 on: November 12, 2020, 03:14:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

shalom pals
[close]

[close]
canít post video (idk how rn lmao) but my setup is an 8.75 anti hero with ace 55s and like 50mm conical fills 101a + 1/8 riser. oh also skating blazer mids or rowan pros

i think iím having trouble getting my foot to travel up the board. like how itís supposed to kinda roll and slide up the board? when i try to do that my foot comes off the board while i ďpopĒ, and then bonks the nose when the board comes up.

and also like when iím tryna ďpopĒ iím keeping my back foot on the board too long and not *really* jumping but that comes with time/practice i think

practice practice practice and it will all come together eventually, skateboarding is really hard! make sure when youre trying them you are rolling, and when I was learning I found going over something small (for me it was hockey sticks) or up a curb helped trick my brain into committing to it. then make it a game of going up or over bigger and bigger things (in small increments). keep those shoulders square!

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1091 on: November 12, 2020, 10:43:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

shalom pals
[close]

[close]

[close]

practice practice practice and it will all come together eventually, skateboarding is really hard! make sure when youre trying them you are rolling, and when I was learning I found going over something small (for me it was hockey sticks) or up a curb helped trick my brain into committing to it. then make it a game of going up or over bigger and bigger things (in small increments). keep those shoulders square!

I think a lot of experienced skaters forget how difficult and non-intuitive an ollie is. On the surface it's jumping but with your board, but the fact you have a moving platform under you complicates things.

Just getting the motion of the pop, snapping your tail down, is a vital step that experienced skaters take for granted. Just practicing getting a solid snap on your tail (no pop, kind of like you're scraping your tail to stop) is a good start.

Next, focus on getting a solid drag, more forward than up. I think it's more important to have a low but leveled out ollie than one that is high but rocket (like I have them).

Another thing I notice when beginners learn to ollie is how far they have their front foot behind their bolts when they ollie. Your skateboard is like a catapult, the more weight you have closer to the fulcrum / pivot point (your truck) the less stable you well feel, even more so as you crouch down to setup your ollie. Front foot just behind the bolts is a good place to start; you aren't competing with Danny Wainwright or Reese Forbes in a high ollie contest, and even they don't have their front foot too far back.

After this it's a matter of 1000s of repetitions while paying attention to your form. Like all martial arts (or sports), 1000s of reps means nothing if you're form is crap. Kicking a sandbag 1000s a day in kickboxing is pointless if I'm hunched over, flat footed and not getting my hip into the kick to enhance the impact. Be mindful of your head position, how much you're hunched over, is your butt sticking out and are your shoulders in line with your board. It's far less sexy than looking at tutorial of people doing boned out ollies with shit explanations, but I'm all for fundamentals over flash.

(sorry for the wall of text, too much coffee after lunch)

slappy50

• gear madness abounds
« Reply #1092 on: November 12, 2020, 11:40:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

shalom pals
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I think a lot of experienced skaters forget how difficult and non-intuitive an ollie is. On the surface it's jumping but with your board, but the fact you have a moving platform under you complicates things.

Just getting the motion of the pop, snapping your tail down, is a vital step that experienced skaters take for granted. Just practicing getting a solid snap on your tail (no pop, kind of like you're scraping your tail to stop) is a good start.

Next, focus on getting a solid drag, more forward than up. I think it's more important to have a low but leveled out ollie than one that is high but rocket (like I have them).

Another thing I notice when beginners learn to ollie is how far they have their front foot behind their bolts when they ollie. Your skateboard is like a catapult, the more weight you have closer to the fulcrum / pivot point (your truck) the less stable you well feel, even more so as you crouch down to setup your ollie. Front foot just behind the bolts is a good place to start; you aren't competing with Danny Wainwright or Reese Forbes in a high ollie contest, and even they don't have their front foot too far back.

After this it's a matter of 1000s of repetitions while paying attention to your form. Like all martial arts (or sports), 1000s of reps means nothing if you're form is crap. Kicking a sandbag 1000s a day in kickboxing is pointless if I'm hunched over, flat footed and not getting my hip into the kick to enhance the impact. Be mindful of your head position, how much you're hunched over, is your butt sticking out and are your shoulders in line with your board. It's far less sexy than looking at tutorial of people doing boned out ollies with shit explanations, but I'm all for fundamentals over flash.

nono, that was great. i worked on them today, based off pretty much what you said as well as the two videos posted earlier. the idea of like flicking my foot down to initiate the jump rather than stepping all the way down (stomping it) then jumping really helped. i actually got some off the ground today! i started holding onto a cabinet in my garage then tried them barely rolling on flat in the garage (itís raining :( ) then slowly got going faster. i practiced for maybe 2 hours? and by the end of it, my ollies were maybe an inch or so off the ground? either way they were OFF THE GROUND! what i want to work on now is getting the ollie to go forward, so to speak. like get it so that the board is kinda in front of me a lil bit rather than directly underneath. by the end of the session i was getting pretty consistent and i think my like 2.5 years of skating directly before finally deciding to learn ollies really helped me out.  iíve gone through like 3 plies of my tail in the last week practicing ollies lmao. the other thing iím experiencing is occasional ghost pop, does that go away with practice? i donít really wanna go down the rabbit hole of truck/deck combinations. i have ace and thatís it. sorry for wall of text and wack formatting, itís late and i typed this improv. anyhow, thanks for all the help PALS! i will update later if something interesting happens.

shalom
niggling

[/quote]

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1093 on: November 13, 2020, 12:35:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

shalom pals
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
nono, that was great. i worked on them today, based off pretty much what you said as well as the two videos posted earlier. the idea of like flicking my foot down to initiate the jump rather than stepping all the way down (stomping it) then jumping really helped. i actually got some off the ground today! i started holding onto a cabinet in my garage then tried them barely rolling on flat in the garage (itís raining :( ) then slowly got going faster. i practiced for maybe 2 hours? and by the end of it, my ollies were maybe an inch or so off the ground? either way they were OFF THE GROUND! what i want to work on now is getting the ollie to go forward, so to speak. like get it so that the board is kinda in front of me a lil bit rather than directly underneath. by the end of the session i was getting pretty consistent and i think my like 2.5 years of skating directly before finally deciding to learn ollies really helped me out.  iíve gone through like 3 plies of my tail in the last week practicing ollies lmao. the other thing iím experiencing is occasional ghost pop, does that go away with practice? i donít really wanna go down the rabbit hole of truck/deck combinations. i have ace and thatís it. sorry for wall of text and wack formatting, itís late and i typed this improv. anyhow, thanks for all the help PALS! i will update later if something interesting happens.

shalom

All in the toes, and calf. I used to think you had to stomp them, like bring your back foot off and smash it down hard like you were killing a cockroach.

Ghost pop happens for all setups, your current setup should be good for now. But when the gear madness hits just pop on over to Shoes & Gear; we'll bring you down the rabbit hole.

slappy50

• gear madness abounds
« Reply #1094 on: November 13, 2020, 07:02:24 PM »
anyone got tips or practice steps for getting my back straighter? iím doing what ben degros talked about with the hinging back thing, but not as bad. im working on that as well as getting them more forward. i spent an hour or so throughout the day today between online classes and got outside to cruise and try to pop some and it was great. i found a little bank to do weenie ollies into but practice is practice. im trying to get comfortable doing them a little bit faster and eventually to cruising speed, so i can hop over sewer grates and up curbs etc.
niggling

[/quote]

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #1095 on: November 16, 2020, 06:44:35 AM »

shalom pals

Get a cardboard box and try ollying over it. Then get a bigger one, and then a bigger one and so on. Eventually you'll lose your fear and progress real fast. I went from incapability to ollie over a stick to ollying 6 boards easy in a span of 10 months  :D Just practice and youll get there!

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #1096 on: November 16, 2020, 06:49:51 AM »
Frontside pop shove its. Not the shitty kind that barely gets off the ground but ones that go straight up and straight down. im getting real, real close and Im getting nods from dudes at spots so im doing something right, but damn its one fucked up trick to learn

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1097 on: November 16, 2020, 08:15:06 AM »
i think i open my shoulders up too much during kickflip. sometimes in the air my left hand goes so far back it touches my right arm (regular).

The wear on my shoes is all wrong too i think. I get holes super fast on like the inside of my big toe, when I see most other ppl have it closer to their ollie hole.

idk what to do to fix. I spent some time just holding my arms out straight like an airplane to try to stop it. Kind of tempted to just grab a broomstick and hold it out in front of me so i stop opening my damn shoulders so much

treflips_up_yer_nan

« Reply #1098 on: November 16, 2020, 08:24:08 AM »
i think i open my shoulders up too much during kickflip. sometimes in the air my left hand goes so far back it touches my right arm (regular).

The wear on my shoes is all wrong too i think. I get holes super fast on like the inside of my big toe, when I see most other ppl have it closer to their ollie hole.

idk what to do to fix. I spent some time just holding my arms out straight like an airplane to try to stop it. Kind of tempted to just grab a broomstick and hold it out in front of me so i stop opening my damn shoulders so much

Send a video if you do that sounds absolutely hilarious  :D

anon

• Rep: 63
« Reply #1099 on: November 17, 2020, 05:24:41 PM »
i can't not over-rotate back disasters

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 841
« Reply #1100 on: November 17, 2020, 06:50:34 PM »
I think Mcrank said the key is to not dip your head, leave your shoulders facing the opposing wall.

It's ok to over rotate the bottom half....just not the upper.....