Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151895 times)

SUPREMENECKPROTECTOR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 99
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #930 on: June 19, 2020, 01:02:40 AM »
The ssbsts clip is great cuz he's clearly clowning on it, but some of them will be a 5 minute tutorial of "you, ummm, pop the uhh tail, and you use your FRONT foot to flip the board."

I think the reason why a lot of pros trick tips are bad is because some of the best skaters don´t look at skating like it´s done in this thread. They are not really thinking about all the little details mentioned in here but rather do their tricks by instinct. Every time i have sat down with someone leagues ahead of me asking for tips about a certain trick, i only got a blank face.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #931 on: June 19, 2020, 04:23:20 AM »
I think the reason why a lot of pros trick tips are bad is because some of the best skaters don´t look at skating like it´s done in this thread. They are not really thinking about all the little details mentioned in here but rather do their tricks by instinct. Every time i have sat down with someone leagues ahead of me asking for tips about a certain trick, i only got a blank face.

I don't know about that - lots of the tips I give are stuff that's rubbed off on me due to being around good skateboarders and pros discussing (not just physical but also mental) technicalities over the years, to the point where I'm convinced that the best of them actually know exactly what they're doing and could successfully teach you the basic of their ways on the spot if they wanted. It's just that for the most part they don't actually want you to learn the trick in trick tip videos, for the most part those are commercials aimed at nurturing the illusion that the pro will always be better than you anyway (in this case relatable, but still miles above); even when a good-hearted person is featured in those they're still most likely be treating it as some kind of mere coverage opportunity (if not contractual obligation) and thus won't especially be feeling like trying to go in-depth. Now, catch the same person in the right context and most of their personalized tips will most likely be a lot more helpful.

But you're definitely right about how much intellectualizing skateboarding makes a difference on a person's skating. For some folks it seems to be like, the more they try to do it, the more variables (and just as many reasons) pop up and make them doubt that maybe they could miss the trick - not overthinking stuff and just going by brute repetition and muscle memory is one way to keep it simple and practical. And then the other hand, you have other people who also keep it simple and practical for themselves but due to having consciously broken down the elementary physics of the activity, not just understood but also analyzed and summarized the basic and usual action/reaction patterns etc. which I think is more efficient in the long run and in the end when it comes to giving tips, the only real difference is those can just verbalize and communicate the technicalities better.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 04:27:33 AM by silhouette »

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #932 on: June 19, 2020, 05:10:09 AM »
Anyone got tips for nollie varial heels?

I'm trying to get the foot placement right to create pressure to make it pop properly.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #933 on: June 19, 2020, 05:26:53 AM »
Anyone got tips for nollie varial heels?

I'm trying to get the foot placement right to create pressure to make it pop properly.

I pop mine off the corner of the nose with big toe on my front foot which is at a 45 degree angle. Back foot is somewhere around the back bolts with the toes hanging off, maybe also slightly angled towards the nose. When you pop the nollie shove from that position the board should naturally stick to it and then you can just kick out for the heelflip, which should be easy as said foot was already resting on the right part of the concave. From then on if you've given yourself the right momentum on the jump (I personally lean back pre-pop then try jumping towards my tail) you should be good. If you wait for the board to come around for an extra split second and kick down instead of out you can also do cheap nollie shove late flips like this.

Mink

• Rep: 4
« Reply #934 on: June 19, 2020, 10:54:44 AM »
Since I started skating again, just a pop shuv

Either they are waist-high and perfectly caught, or I snap my board.

MadeYouLook

• Rep: 22
« Reply #935 on: June 19, 2020, 01:53:55 PM »
I searched and didn’t see anything on this...

But any tips for wallies??

Have never tried one but want to next session.

fakie n0llie

• Rep: -80
« Reply #936 on: June 20, 2020, 07:40:45 AM »
Fakie shuvs ugh. So hard.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #937 on: June 20, 2020, 07:46:25 AM »
I searched and didn’t see anything on this...

But any tips for wallies??

Have never tried one but want to next session.

Recent thread here: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=111257

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #938 on: June 21, 2020, 05:54:36 PM »
Terrified of switch front boards.  I was getting them once and i bodied myself and now I'm scared.
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #939 on: June 21, 2020, 10:15:39 PM »
Terrified of switch front boards.  I was getting them once and i bodied myself and now I'm scared.

If you have a stable flatbar, you can kinda not fully commit and do those short ones where you're not on top and holding it and work your way up towards fully committing backwards and sliding.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
« Reply #940 on: June 23, 2020, 06:29:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you have a stable flatbar, you can kinda not fully commit and do those short ones where you're not on top and holding it and work your way up towards fully committing backwards and sliding.
   i'll give it a go
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #941 on: June 23, 2020, 07:12:08 AM »
I'd say maybe even try and get them like that on ledges first. Much less scarier than a rail at first (to me it was at least) and learning to get into stable ones on those is quite easy. Once those have become second nature, replicating the motion on a rail is essentially the same thing. Learned that trick only last year or so myself and I love it, I hope you get it back.

dpelevator

• Rep: 6
« Reply #942 on: June 23, 2020, 07:37:04 AM »
Gunna give this another go. Back fifty. Someone gave me the tip of coming in perpendicular and doing a stall and then reducing the angle but I just never end up on top of it. I just ollie and land next to it. Maybe some kind of mental block.

Im just so bad at all grinds in general. I think Im doing something seriously wrong. My flatground game is good, but on a ledge I'm useless. Gets thats the price I pay for being a bit of a "wanna play SKATE? kid when I was young.

I used to have them fine like 10+ years ago and when I look at clips of me doing them from then I kind of get into a back nosegrind and then drop the back truck.

Also back bigspins. Do you do it more like a shuv with a back 180 or a 360 shuv where you follow it with a body varial?

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #943 on: June 23, 2020, 10:20:59 AM »
definitely a 3shuv with a body turn. gotta start turning your body first though

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #944 on: June 23, 2020, 10:29:48 AM »
Gunna give this another go. Back fifty. Someone gave me the tip of coming in perpendicular and doing a stall and then reducing the angle but I just never end up on top of it. I just ollie and land next to it. Maybe some kind of mental block.

Im just so bad at all grinds in general. I think Im doing something seriously wrong. My flatground game is good, but on a ledge I'm useless. Gets thats the price I pay for being a bit of a "wanna play SKATE? kid when I was young.

I used to have them fine like 10+ years ago and when I look at clips of me doing them from then I kind of get into a back nosegrind and then drop the back truck.

Also back bigspins. Do you do it more like a shuv with a back 180 or a 360 shuv where you follow it with a body varial?

Where are you on the trick now? Can't get the concept of ollie-ing backside onto ledges? Going too high and slamming down?

I try and think of them as part of the ollie motion, as my back foot pops the board, my front foot slides up the griptape to place the front truck on the ledge. As I'm doing that my back foot is guiding the back truck aligned with the front truck so both trucks are on the ledge. It feels very different front a FS 50-50 where you can just ollie up and onto the ledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phGmF1l0X3I

"You're not riding up to the ledge parallel and ollie-ing up"
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

dpelevator

• Rep: 6
« Reply #945 on: June 23, 2020, 04:01:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Where are you on the trick now? Can't get the concept of ollie-ing backside onto ledges? Going too high and slamming down?

I try and think of them as part of the ollie motion, as my back foot pops the board, my front foot slides up the griptape to place the front truck on the ledge. As I'm doing that my back foot is guiding the back truck aligned with the front truck so both trucks are on the ledge. It feels very different front a FS 50-50 where you can just ollie up and onto the ledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phGmF1l0X3I

"You're not riding up to the ledge parallel and ollie-ing up"

Figured them out today before I saw your post but this is exactly it. I just focus on getting my front truck on and straightening out. Feels more like two motions as opposed to front fifties.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #946 on: July 14, 2020, 01:15:26 PM »
Hey Silhouette, care to dissect my 360 attempts and try to correct me?

I feel that sometime I carve in too much and everything just flies out. Or if I try to keep / stay more upright, doenst seem to jive either. 

3 attempts. One was kinda close but i was landing with the nose down, like in to a nose wheelie kinda....

Thanks

https://vimeo.com/437851754

https://vimeo.com/437851941

https://vimeo.com/437852264

MadeYouLook

• Rep: 22
« Reply #947 on: July 16, 2020, 10:16:51 AM »
Trying to learn pop shuv and kickflip into manny. I’ve been practicing them going slow on flat. Any tips would be appreciated!

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1359
« Reply #948 on: July 16, 2020, 11:30:19 AM »

I do them as a b/s 180 with a little shove thrown in, but I don't pop it. My feet are in shove-it position and I just turn backside while doing a shove-it.

If you're trying them, remember to really turn your shoulders to reduce the potential for landing 90 degrees - if you land 90 in a bigspin position, you'll more than likely slip out and fall. It happens to everyone.

I only do them with the wheels sliding on the ground, though. They're not popped. Maybe that's not what you want.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #949 on: July 16, 2020, 12:00:52 PM »

Definitely a 360 shuv with a body varial (if you're trying to pop them). I find putting my feet close together helps it come around faster but its less stable so do what works for you. Wind up a lot and pop straight down, no scoop at all. Popping straight down with the shoulders should be enough to get it around, you wanna imagine the board spinning really fast from the pop if that makes sense.

If you're able to get the 3 shuv but your body doesn't come all the way around, try looking at the nose of your board the whole time, by tracking the nose with your eyes you can kinda trick your shoulders and the rest of your body to come around.

Another thing that helps is to have your trucks leaning slightly to the heel side when you bend down and pop, if the trucks are flat or leaning toe side its much more likely to flip or shift a lot laterally.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #950 on: July 16, 2020, 12:30:50 PM »
Struggling hard with BS Crooks. I get into the Crook position almost every try but usually fall forward or stick which I know is too much weight forward.

It doesn't really make sense to me to get the truck/nose onto the ledge but still lean back enough to grind? When I do get the grind to work my board usually flips over off the end of the ledge.

Any help is appreciated, it's getting really frustrating, been trying them for over a month now. I'm thinking maybe I need to learn nose manny to get the board control.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #951 on: July 16, 2020, 07:05:58 PM »
Struggling hard with BS Crooks. I get into the Crook position almost every try but usually fall forward or stick which I know is too much weight forward.

It doesn't really make sense to me to get the truck/nose onto the ledge but still lean back enough to grind? When I do get the grind to work my board usually flips over off the end of the ledge.

Any help is appreciated, it's getting really frustrating, been trying them for over a month now. I'm thinking maybe I need to learn nose manny to get the board control.

The folks on here can probably do a better job than I can, but I'll just share some of my observations relearning this trick.

If you're sticking:
- You could be putting too much weight on your nose and not enough on your truck; it's a grind more than a slide, so your truck will be taking the brunt of the damage
https://youtu.be/KjOvwoExz8E?t=87
- In the slow motion part of the video you can see the tilting of the truck as it grinds crooked on the ledge, that is what you should be aiming for. If you check out the rest of his truck review videos he talks about getting the crooked grind mark, that is where you should be aiming to have your truck land during the grind.
- Foot placement on board when grinding should be in the pocket of the nose with slightly more weight on the trucks / front bolts, too much weight on the nose will cause you to stick instead of stand up on your grind.
- Stand tall your board and above the grind, the weight distribution on this trick really determines if you're going to stick have the board shoot out from under you. The more over your board (and front truck) you are on the trick, the easier it is to balance and pop out.

When exiting:
- Speed really helps with a good exit and it makes this trick so much fun. The faster you go, the timing for locking in gets trickier, but the grind and exit feel so good, especially on a nicely waxed ledge or worn in trucks.
- If you have your feet setup like I mentioned in my previous point, exiting is just a matter of nudging the board off the end slightly.
- (everyone else here can probably teach you about how to pop out mid ledge, that's a sexy trick)
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #952 on: July 17, 2020, 12:19:09 AM »
Trying to learn pop shuv and kickflip into manny. I’ve been practicing them going slow on flat. Any tips would be appreciated!

its so much harder going slow and on flat dude, find a small manny pad and go for it.

for flip mannies i put less effort into leveling out my board, if you can kinda rocket the flip then youre already set up in the manny position you just need to get your feet back on and and set it down into manny. stand tall and stay centered so you dont slip out

Paperclip20

• Rep: 135
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #953 on: July 17, 2020, 04:21:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The folks on here can probably do a better job than I can, but I'll just share some of my observations relearning this trick.

If you're sticking:
- You could be putting too much weight on your nose and not enough on your truck; it's a grind more than a slide, so your truck will be taking the brunt of the damage
https://youtu.be/KjOvwoExz8E?t=87
- In the slow motion part of the video you can see the tilting of the truck as it grinds crooked on the ledge, that is what you should be aiming for. If you check out the rest of his truck review videos he talks about getting the crooked grind mark, that is where you should be aiming to have your truck land during the grind.
- Foot placement on board when grinding should be in the pocket of the nose with slightly more weight on the trucks / front bolts, too much weight on the nose will cause you to stick instead of stand up on your grind.
- Stand tall your board and above the grind, the weight distribution on this trick really determines if you're going to stick have the board shoot out from under you. The more over your board (and front truck) you are on the trick, the easier it is to balance and pop out.

When exiting:
- Speed really helps with a good exit and it makes this trick so much fun. The faster you go, the timing for locking in gets trickier, but the grind and exit feel so good, especially on a nicely waxed ledge or worn in trucks.
- If you have your feet setup like I mentioned in my previous point, exiting is just a matter of nudging the board off the end slightly.
- (everyone else here can probably teach you about how to pop out mid ledge, that's a sexy trick)

I would like to add when getting into them I also make sure my shoulders are straight with my board it helps with the part rock mentioned about standing tall.

For popping out mid ledge it's just about the slightest nollie motion while pushing your front foot forward. (For me at least)

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #954 on: July 17, 2020, 08:37:32 AM »
yup, stand tall as said before, and really try to get on top on the ledge. Thats the key. Dont be lazy; really get up there and flex that front leg. You can do it!

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #955 on: July 17, 2020, 11:41:13 AM »
Thanks Pals,

Gonna try some of those suggestions this weekend and will report back.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 470
« Reply #956 on: July 17, 2020, 08:06:44 PM »
Nollie Flips. I don't think they're basic but a lot of people do and they don't work for me. I've practically given up on em because I get mad not knowing them and seeing how many people can do em. Nollie tres work though lol
Super Champion Fun Zone

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
« Reply #957 on: July 17, 2020, 08:21:07 PM »

With trick to manny I put my pop foot closer to the bolts. This helps me with kickflip but I have not done the shiv.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #958 on: July 17, 2020, 08:32:57 PM »
Nollie Flips. I don't think they're basic but a lot of people do and they don't work for me. I've practically given up on em because I get mad not knowing them and seeing how many people can do em. Nollie tres work though lol

I couldn't even form switch/nollie flips them for years and had written it off as a lost cause. But I finally cracked them this year and have them pretty consistent now. Not the best nollie flip for sure but they're still on the way up and I'm getting nollie fs/sw bs flips down too.

Make sure your switch ollie is decent, and practice the flicking motion just stationary, once you can vaguely form it and catch your flicking foot off the corner, the best way to go about it imo is to not worry about flipping it all the way, but just flick as properly as you can and land upside down with both feet over the board. If you can do that comfortably then its just a matter of flicking a tiny bit harder. If I could figure it after years of it not working out you definitely can too.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #959 on: July 19, 2020, 06:28:20 AM »
Frontside pop shove its. Mine have no pop...its all scoop. Annoying. Needs more work.