Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151980 times)

silhouette

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #960 on: July 19, 2020, 11:40:48 PM »
Hey Silhouette, care to dissect my 360 attempts and try to correct me?

Hey @sbmfj sorry for the late reply - my first impression watching those attempts is you're pretty much halfway there (you're starting to figure out how to properly form the trick but still need to learn how to land back on it - which, for this one, can be really disorientating at first). On most of those attempts it looks like you may not be digging into that corner of the tail enough still, so halfway through the 360 your back foot lets go of the board and you lose control over the second half of the trick - maybe exaggerate the action with the toes on the back foot even more, they should essentially be gripping the side of the board near the back wheel on the toe-side before you pop, kind of like for a 360 shove with no pop. Oddly enough even though the front foot does literally nothing on that trick I feel like its position is important too, I tend to set it up like I would for a reg stance big flip, just hugging the heel-side of the concave a bit closer with the ball of the front foot but then jumping into the trick, I really insist on scraping the tail like an impossible on the pop and kind of forget about everything front foot till the time comes to catch the board again (since it most likely will come off) and land. On one of those attempts, it looks like your front foot wants to interfere and you're basically bailing a backside 360 kickflip, which looks funny but hints at how you'll probably be able to learn that one too once your backside 360 ollies really start to click.

Also you seem to struggle to fully commit on following through the 360 with your body which is totally normal and understandable as that trick is scary as fuck to learn (at least it was to me back in the day; nowadays kids don't seem to have a problem with it) since it goes blindside, you don't see much of what's going on the whole time and if you land one wrong (e.g.. underrotated) you're super likely to slip out with all your momentum from the jump and eat shit. But I can see the board starts going ahead of you on most of those attempts about 180 degrees into the rotation (you're doing the first 180 degrees proper though), hinting at you stopping the rotation like you still have to practice a bit more and deconstruct that natural survival instinct of yours that drives you away from the board. Again, doing some backside 360 step-hops might help because I find the flow of the rotation to be the exact same, or maybe 360 powerslides but the weight distribution changes a lot as soon as you ollie so that'd really be just to get into the groove. Not saying you should overthink the ollie part of backside 360's though, when you think about it the OG way of doing them is barely an ollie-based trick at all as the front foot does literally nothing the whole time so it's just scoop and scrape.

Your third attempt is obviously the closest but you still shouldn't be landing on that truck and maybe should focus on your back leg as the sole axis for the rotation a bit more. Essentially on this trick I pretty much pretend I have no front leg for a split second as soon as I pop, till I catch the board again and then the front foot can help guide it around for a last few degrees if needed on the landing (but you shouldn't aim for that and it'll just start happening).

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 390
« Reply #961 on: July 20, 2020, 11:19:08 AM »
So I really would love to know the secret to switch ollies and nollies. No matter how good I’m feeling I can pop both only a few inches off the ground. I set my sliding foot kinda close to the bolts but I just want to know the magic secret to make those make sense

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #962 on: July 20, 2020, 11:22:29 AM »
So I really would love to know the secret to switch ollies and nollies. No matter how good I’m feeling I can pop both only a few inches off the ground. I set my sliding foot kinda close to the bolts but I just want to know the magic secret to make those make sense

Move your sliding foot further back and concentrate on lifting your back foot up after you pop and getting a really solid slide. Also experiment with timing.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #963 on: July 20, 2020, 11:24:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Move your sliding foot further back and concentrate on lifting your back foot up after you pop and getting a really solid slide. Also experiment with timing.
I’ll give it a shot, it’s like I know I need to put my foot back further but I’ve gone 20 years not skating switch so my brain and body are sorta like “ what the fuck you doin”

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #964 on: July 22, 2020, 05:04:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I’ll give it a shot, it’s like I know I need to put my foot back further but I’ve gone 20 years not skating switch so my brain and body are sorta like “ what the fuck you doin”

I'm 38 and didn't start skating switch until about 5 years ago. The thing that made nollies and switch ollies work for me was focusing on my upper body when popping. When I do any trick regular, my arms move away from my body after I pop, but with anything switch or nollie I kind of have them out already. I also don't crouch as low and my shoulders are always a lot more directly parallel to my board.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1891
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #965 on: July 25, 2020, 01:03:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I'm 38 and didn't start skating switch until about 5 years ago. The thing that made nollies and switch ollies work for me was focusing on my upper body when popping. When I do any trick regular, my arms move away from my body after I pop, but with anything switch or nollie I kind of have them out already. I also don't crouch as low and my shoulders are always a lot more directly parallel to my board.

Focusing on the dragging foot more than the popping foot really helped me get some decent Nollies today. Most of the time I do the rocket by focusing more on the pop than the drag. I can cheat my way into nollie 50-50s on low curbs but I'll definitely need to do them proper at the new park I frequent.

FS Nosegrinds? I can only do them short with a very hard pop off, never been able to do a nice long balanced one. I get its like a nose manual along the edge of the curb but it feel like my weight distribution is never right. Like I'm not standing tall enough or my weight is too far forward amd too far ahead of the truck.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #966 on: July 25, 2020, 01:35:46 AM »
^ If you think of f/s nosegrinds as 'nosewheelie grinds' (which they really are, I know), you'll most likely encounter that problem of being off and sticking because of the new element of friction nosewheelies normally don't have, but nosegrinds do have. I think it's better to treat them like 50-50's to make sure you get on top with the right axis except you're then pushing down and ahead of you on the nose the whole time; if you're only focused on the balancing, you'll tend to forget that you're also supposed to absorb the friction, if that makes sense. Now, most skatepark boxes, angle irons and some of the slickest marble ledges produce close to zero sensible friction which makes them ideal for learning longer nosegrinds (on rough shit, those are fucked). You only really need the basic nosewheelie technique to lock into the trick (and maybe to get a proper pop out instead of falling off), otherwise the rest of the time you're working against something extra throughout the grind that you need to handle as you go, so purely thinking nosewheelie the whole time might mess you up.

WobbleHeadBob

• Rep: 80
« Reply #967 on: July 25, 2020, 01:57:08 AM »
Silhouette is pretty spot on, but I feel like FS nosegrinds dont have much in common with nosewheelies. its more like when you crook a rough ledge.. you have to get that push behind it to keep the grind going against the frction.

Back nosegrinds feel more like a nosewheely but with an exagerated lean

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #968 on: July 25, 2020, 09:14:54 AM »
Silhouette is pretty spot on, but I feel like FS nosegrinds dont have much in common with nosewheelies. its more like when you crook a rough ledge.. you have to get that push behind it to keep the grind going against the frction.

Back nosegrinds feel more like a nosewheely but with an exagerated lean

Yeah i get what you mean exactly, BS Nosegrinds really feel like you're popping up and balancing on your front truck but backside, ie a nose manny on the edge of a ledge.

I was thinking about my foot position today and I have it pretty far forward, maybe just a little behind the 1st 2 front bolt to prevent me from ollie-ing too high and slamming my nose in. I have a feeling that's causing me to stick or slow plow my grind, so I'll try setting my feet up similar to a 50-50 so I don't end up too far forward.

Where is your weight / pressure during the grind relative to the front truck?
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #969 on: July 25, 2020, 07:15:16 PM »
Anyone got the juice for sw tres? Got a few today but they're a lot of effort to form and even more so to jump over it and keeping my feet in the air for long enough.

My main issues are: foot positioning feels really unstable and not sure how to distribute weight when setting up, and it goes too far in front of me (front foot in middle of the board and back foot not on the board), and it also goes too far in front of me parallel-wise too, feels like I have to hunch forward a lot which is awkward.)

Pretty comfortable going switch, got a solid switch popshuv and regular tres are super chill, kinda wanna get these to that point eventually too but theyre a big struggle right now.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #970 on: July 26, 2020, 02:33:57 AM »
tzhangdox switch 360 flips usually come and go for me because they're only so fun while they work, then I start missing too many of them for my liking so I just do different tricks till I eventually have to essentially relearn the trick from scratch again whenever I feel like doing it again. In that sense it's a frustrating trick to keep. Whenever I want to get it back I just do them on banks first where they work and feel exactly like nollie 360 flips (which are a lot more simple and I do all the time), then once I'm back into the groove it's all a matter of replicating the same motion going forward on flat. On flat I probably set up for them exactly like I would for a nollie 360 flips except by upper body is positioned like it would be for a sw pop shove. Then it's all about that scoop. I've been doing switch impossibles for 20 years (used to be easier than regs for me) so I'm familiar with the weight distribution needed for that trick but it can be an awkward one, essentially if you keep your shoulders square and send the board in front of you like you would on regular 360 flips the same physics should apply but it can feel weird at first.

@rocklobster if you're asking me for nosegrinds I honestly can't say because I've been asked to describe the same thing on nosewheelies before and verbalized something that really didn't match with how my form on the trick looked on footage - I can't say if I'm centered over the front bolts or closer to the middle of the board. It's probably somewhere in between. What I can say for sure is the front foot pushes in front of you and does all the work whilst your back leg is the stabilizer. Here's an old clip of me doing a variation if you want to pair an illustration with my weak description for yourself:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcVsbIWDwMS/

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #971 on: July 26, 2020, 09:57:02 AM »
tzhangdox switch 360 flips usually come and go for me because they're only so fun while they work, then I start missing too many of them for my liking so I just do different tricks till I eventually have to essentially relearn the trick from scratch again whenever I feel like doing it again. In that sense it's a frustrating trick to keep. Whenever I want to get it back I just do them on banks first where they work and feel exactly like nollie 360 flips (which are a lot more simple and I do all the time), then once I'm back into the groove it's all a matter of replicating the same motion going forward on flat. On flat I probably set up for them exactly like I would for a nollie 360 flips except by upper body is positioned like it would be for a sw pop shove. Then it's all about that scoop. I've been doing switch impossibles for 20 years (used to be easier than regs for me) so I'm familiar with the weight distribution needed for that trick but it can be an awkward one, essentially if you keep your shoulders square and send the board in front of you like you would on regular 360 flips the same physics should apply but it can feel weird at first.

@rocklobster if you're asking me for nosegrinds I honestly can't say because I've been asked to describe the same thing on nosewheelies before and verbalized something that really didn't match with how my form on the trick looked on footage - I can't say if I'm centered over the front bolts or closer to the middle of the board. It's probably somewhere in between. What I can say for sure is the front foot pushes in front of you and does all the work whilst your back leg is the stabilizer. Here's an old clip of me doing a variation if you want to pair an illustration with my weak description for yourself:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcVsbIWDwMS/

I think my foot is definitely too far up the front of the board, gets my weight way up front and over the nose instead of over the truck. I'll give it another go next weekend when my hip is feeling better. Shalom friend.

Edit: thanks for the video, I started putting my front foot further back and it's really helped with balancing on the grind and especially the pop off. I was able to better distribute weight to push through the friction; still far from a Wenning style one but I've never felt better on this trick ever.
For some reason I lost my Crooked grinds on the tall ledge, something about the added height that's fucking up pinch and I'm not getting the weight at the right spot above the front truck.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 06:16:10 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #972 on: August 05, 2020, 09:30:27 AM »
Switch FS pop shuvs...the only shuvit i can't really do and I don't know why, they just feel like ass and disappear way off behind me.

And BS 180s, for some reason my body just doesn't like the backside rotation...i end up doing them with a revert/slide just to sort of make it look a bit more intentional.

WobbleHeadBob

« Reply #973 on: August 05, 2020, 12:53:03 PM »
Switch FS pop shuvs...the only shuvit i can't really do and I don't know why, they just feel like ass and disappear way off behind me.

And BS 180s, for some reason my body just doesn't like the backside rotation...i end up doing them with a revert/slide just to sort of make it look a bit more intentional.

thats funny, switch front shuvs are the only ones i have consitant and solid, its all in the popping foot, pretty much stright down bro, if its flying out behind you youre giving it too much sideways push.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #974 on: August 06, 2020, 05:05:52 AM »
Yeah i think i rely too much on my front foot to try and get it round which is absolutely not how you are supposed to do them, the whole thing just feels like ass...yet another trick on the "I need to work on these" list haha.

Switch BS pop shuvs for days though, love those.

Drucksache

• Rep: -6
« Reply #975 on: August 07, 2020, 02:19:09 AM »
Regular fs bluntslides are fucking me up so bad.
I did a couple but I never got to the point where I am confident in doing the trick.
Once I get in it is a like a lottery. The slide is all over the place, I slip out in all sorts of directions or just stick.

It is probably all in my head though.

Anybody know some mind trickery to fool oneself into properly locked sliding position?

Cheers

ImmanuelCunt

• Rep: 31
« Reply #976 on: August 07, 2020, 05:13:34 AM »
I am not really consistent with front blunts on ledges either but for me it is much easier if I don't go parallel but angled. You can basically stall against it then. It makes it easier to hit the curb right and lock in. The slide comes from slightly over rotating and leaning really into it.
Saw a guy once who just went almost frontal to the ledges and was not even going fast and was front blunting the whole ledge every try. Tried it and it kind of worked for me to get that lock in right.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #977 on: August 07, 2020, 06:32:24 AM »
How the hell do you pole jam ? Local diy has a mellow one that’s not super long but I just can’t crack the code. Do I ram into it like a slappy? Do I sorta do a little manny when I get to it? Who knows. What’s the secret?

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #978 on: August 07, 2020, 06:44:24 AM »
How the hell do you pole jam ? Local diy has a mellow one that’s not super long but I just can’t crack the code. Do I ram into it like a slappy? Do I sorta do a little manny when I get to it? Who knows. What’s the secret?

The way I always looked at it is like this. Your jumping over it and the polejam brings the board up to your feet. Like a real lightweight Wallie.

Hombreezy

« Reply #979 on: August 07, 2020, 08:28:18 AM »
Never had a clue about how to do any bluntslide tricks. I guess specifically I’ve never understood how to throw the board kinda rocket and land on the wheels.

WobbleHeadBob

« Reply #980 on: August 07, 2020, 09:18:04 AM »
Never had a clue about how to do any bluntslide tricks. I guess specifically I’ve never understood how to throw the board kinda rocket and land on the wheels.

just think of it like a tailslide on the vertical part of the ledge

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 964
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #981 on: August 07, 2020, 07:19:56 PM »
I want to tail block desperately.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #982 on: August 07, 2020, 08:08:00 PM »
Nollie bs nosegrind. I tried 72 of them today and missed them all except landing unintentional nollie crooks a few times.

sbmfj

• Rep: 56
« Reply #983 on: August 20, 2020, 07:06:28 AM »
I hve a ridiculously hard time lokcing into nollie nose slide so I envy your nollie crooks, even tho your going for the nosegrind.

@silhouette, as always, thanks again for the in depth 360 analysis. Shits tuff. I keep trying a few every time I go out, i tend to get alittle dizzy after trying too many in a row, so might take me a little longer to get the trick.
I sincerly appreciate your feedback (and feebback from anyone else).

Been trying hardflip too. Having a hard time (lol, hard time with hard flips, who figured) with the ol back foot. Seems to work better when I keep my back straight. Try some more tonight if I make it out.

Take care boys.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #984 on: August 20, 2020, 07:19:10 AM »
I hve a ridiculously hard time lokcing into nollie nose slide so I envy your nollie crooks, even tho your going for the nosegrind.

@silhouette, as always, thanks again for the in depth 360 analysis. Shits tuff. I keep trying a few every time I go out, i tend to get alittle dizzy after trying too many in a row, so might take me a little longer to get the trick.
I sincerly appreciate your feedback (and feebback from anyone else).

Been trying hardflip too. Having a hard time (lol, hard time with hard flips, who figured) with the ol back foot. Seems to work better when I keep my back straight. Try some more tonight if I make it out.

Take care boys.

Yeah my pleasure. Backside 360 ollie on flat was a tough one to figure out for me honestly, one of those tricks I worked on really hard to get to look like I wanted back in the day (no revert bullshit although at the time it was kinda trendier to revert) and probably the one I ate shit on the most too, landing 270 and slipping out the wrong way with the force of all your momentum can fucking suck. Gotta really focus on making the board go past that point and spin the full 360 by guiding it around with your toe so that that particular type of mistake has as little chance as possible of happening, then it gets a bit less scary to focus on actually landing back on the trick. Can't remember whether or not I covered that but staying in control also has to do with figuring out where to look during the whole trick too since it's such a blind one at first. On footage I can tell I'm already looking backwards by the time my tail hits the ground (meaning that your torso really has to get ahead of the trick) and then you get to watch the board under your feet the whole time. If the board gets ahead of you instead then it's game over.

I've been doing hardflips a lot lately (kind of weirds me out because as a kid those were never really my forte), it's one of those tricks you can feel whether or not you're set up correctly for the board to flip right before you even pop, you can sense it in the tension on the concave in a way. Back foot placement on this one for me is exactly the one of a 360 flip (I do my regular stance frontside flips from the same position too but that kind of makes people tick) except I pop straight down and only so slightly frontside, the pressure over the toe side back wheel makes the concave stick to my front foot so that it can really drag the board to my right side (I'm goofy). The flick is kinda weird because it has little to do with the one of kickflips where you flick off the nose more and going diagonal only results in bad form, here you have to force yourself to control that motion which is a bit unpractical at first, then again my hardflips are of the kind that looks like a frontside varial kickflip so maybe don't listen to me if you want to get vertical ones.

I can nollie front nose quite easily but nollie back nose terrifies me on tall stuff so as far as I'm concerned I kind of envy those too. I can usually pop a good nollie and float over the edge but then I'm just paranoid my front foot will slip off and get sandwiched in between the nose of my board and the edge of the ledge if I commit to locking in on anything that's bigger than a curb. Stupid mental block thing.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 07:27:26 AM by silhouette »

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #985 on: August 29, 2020, 09:12:10 PM »
Facing a huge mental block with BS 5-0 on a medium tall ledge, I could do them no problems in a lower ledge back before lockdown. I can BS 50 and nosegrind it consistently but my mind just blanks out when it comes to back truck tricks, I end up not popping or rocketing my Ollie too much. Really regret not working on more BS tricks when I was younger.

And my extension stuff that needs you rolling backside to the ledge like FS 1/2 cab noseslides.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #986 on: August 30, 2020, 02:31:35 AM »
Facing a huge mental block with BS 5-0 on a medium tall ledge, I could do them no problems in a lower ledge back before lockdown. I can BS 50 and nosegrind it consistently but my mind just blanks out when it comes to back truck tricks, I end up not popping or rocketing my Ollie too much. Really regret not working on more BS tricks when I was younger.

And my extension stuff that needs you rolling backside to the ledge like FS 1/2 cab noseslides.

Fs half cab noseslides are not mechanically difficult, just super awkward but once you get used to the weird motion, they're not too bad with practice. Roll up to the ledge parallel ish, but with some angle. Look at the ledge as you roll up, but as you get ready to pop be ready to turn fully blind. As soon as you pop, you want to turn your whole body blind, look at your back foot and aim it onto the ledge into the noseslide. By that point you should feel like you're fully sliding backwards. Super weird but its mostly figuring out timing and spacing, as well as looking forward when rolling up but completely going blind the moment you pop.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #987 on: August 30, 2020, 04:31:54 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Fs half cab noseslides are not mechanically difficult, just super awkward but once you get used to the weird motion, they're not too bad with practice. Roll up to the ledge parallel ish, but with some angle. Look at the ledge as you roll up, but as you get ready to pop be ready to turn fully blind. As soon as you pop, you want to turn your whole body blind, look at your back foot and aim it onto the ledge into the noseslide. By that point you should feel like you're fully sliding backwards. Super weird but its mostly figuring out timing and spacing, as well as looking forward when rolling up but completely going blind the moment you pop.

Aye thanks @tzhangdox ! I only realized that eye point is so important in skateboarding, where you look is where you will land up. I'll give those a short on a low ledge this week for a start. I think I have that same problem with my BS 5-0 I think my eyes are focused too far ahead so no problem getting my front truck, not being able to see my back truck is preventing me from committing to it on the ledge.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #988 on: August 31, 2020, 08:33:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Aye thanks @tzhangdox ! I only realized that eye point is so important in skateboarding, where you look is where you will land up. I'll give those a short on a low ledge this week for a start. I think I have that same problem with my BS 5-0 I think my eyes are focused too far ahead so no problem getting my front truck, not being able to see my back truck is preventing me from committing to it on the ledge.

If the ledge is too low its easy to overshoot that trick into a boardslide. But yeah, where you look is important. For back 5-0s, as soon as you pop, try to look at your back truck/foot. I dont do them much but when I do it definitely helps.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #989 on: September 01, 2020, 05:12:07 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

this is going to sound weird but when I do fakie frontside noseslides I pretend like I’m doing switch a nollie backtail. Sounds silly but that’s how I trick my body into doing it...

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year