Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151917 times)

Mark Renton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2017, 11:26:58 AM »
3flips are driving me nuts. Also nosemanuals are hit or miss now used to do them everywhere. I think the problem is in the shoulders placement when going for both.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Latarian Milton

• Rep: 34
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2017, 06:15:02 PM »
Stand up frontside 50-50s on transition and front shuvs on flat. Fakie and switch are no problem, but regular ones are always on/off for me. I also have landing a switch heelflip on my bucket list, but I don't think I'll ever get there.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2017, 12:45:30 PM »
I'm trying to relearn heelflips and I'm not even fucking close. I was pretty decent at them before I broke my ankle and the fact that I can't even pop them enrages me

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2017, 04:24:01 PM »
I can't half cab nose slide worth anything but can fakie nosegrind 180 out everytime, just don't get it...

yungthug

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -37
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2017, 07:45:36 PM »
front shuvs on flat. Fakie and switch are no problem, but regular ones are always on/off for me.
Preach! I got better at them after I realized you don't have to scoop with your back foot, but rather just push straight down and the board will do the work for you. They still feel really awkward though and I want to do them better and land them more consistently.

NORTHBYMIDWEST

• Rep: 18
« Reply #95 on: November 25, 2017, 01:13:32 PM »
Expand Quote
front shuvs on flat. Fakie and switch are no problem, but regular ones are always on/off for me.
[close]
Preach! I got better at them after I realized you don't have to scoop with your back foot, but rather just push straight down and the board will do the work for you. They still feel really awkward though and I want to do them better and land them more consistently.
Glad I'm not the only one hahaha I'll have to try this front shuvs are my arch nemisis

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2017, 12:55:46 AM »
...even when doing frontside boardslides I still have trouble keeping my body turned in the right way even though I can do them pretty consistently my body gets pretty weirdly contorted at times. I will keep working at it and I will try doing them on taller ledges.

I think that front boards are a lot easier when you ollie into it on something higher than a curb, like a foot or foot and a half tall flatbar. I can do them pretty consistently on those but I can't remember the last time I did one on a curb.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

maxtellevision

• Rep: 0
« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2017, 07:27:18 PM »
Bigspins at the end of every line

doublesteveburger

« Reply #98 on: November 27, 2017, 01:28:02 PM »
Alright I've been skateboarding for half my stupid life I think it's time I learned to 5050 on a round bar. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. The last time I tried one was 10 years ago and I ended up with a swellbow but knee-version.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #99 on: November 27, 2017, 01:53:33 PM »
Alright I've been skateboarding for half my stupid life I think it's time I learned to 5050 on a round bar. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. The last time I tried one was 10 years ago and I ended up with a swellbow but knee-version.
I don't fuck with rails but I have a friend who can 50-50 anything and he swears the safest way to grind a rail is to grind it at an uneven angle (so it almost looks like a smith or feeble). So like if you're regular, your back truck is contacting the rail close to the left wheel and the front truck is touching the rail close to the right wheel. I've seen him grind some very scary things and the ones he lands do always look like that.

Betaphenylethylalamine

• Trade Count: (-2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2017, 06:11:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I don't fuck with rails but I have a friend who can 50-50 anything and he swears the safest way to grind a rail is to grind it at an uneven angle (so it almost looks like a smith or feeble). So like if you're regular, your back truck is contacting the rail close to the left wheel and the front truck is touching the rail close to the right wheel. I've seen him grind some very scary things and the ones he lands do always look like that.

That pops up in every video now multiple times.

Looks stupid imo but that must be fun riding out a huge curved rail or kinker
Gentleman ninja warlock

shit_for_brains

« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2017, 06:51:36 AM »
Staggering your trucks ala Riley Hawk is the way to sit on round rails. I don't sit on them for any distance, but that's how. Backside is "safer" feeling to me because I can hop off the other side of the rail if I get scurred.

I think the younger generation is infinitely more comfortable on round rails than older folk because of the turn of the century suburban proliferation of the round CCS flat rail.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #102 on: November 28, 2017, 08:39:33 AM »
Staggering your trucks ala Riley Hawk is the way to sit on round rails. I don't sit on them for any distance, but that's how. Backside is "safer" feeling to me because I can hop off the other side of the rail if I get scurred.

I think the younger generation is infinitely more comfortable on round rails than older folk because of the turn of the century suburban proliferation of the round CCS flat rail.

So... Jamie Thomas fucked us all with the Zero flatbar?

Trying one today. Thanks for the tips dudes. I'll report back later. Or not. Who gives a shit.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #103 on: November 28, 2017, 09:23:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

So... Jamie Thomas fucked us all with the Zero flatbar?

Trying one today. Thanks for the tips dudes. I'll report back later. Or not. Who gives a shit.

I didn't have any of that shit I had the pole from a street sign delicately balanced in a crack

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #104 on: November 28, 2017, 09:52:45 PM »
I literally cannot pop shove. Pretty sure the last time I did one was in 2010/11. The whole pop and scoop thing just feels completely unnatural to me.

I'll have to try to learn 50-50s on rails though, tried it once before and I never got close.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #105 on: November 30, 2017, 04:35:44 AM »
Nollies up things, over things is fine, parallel into grind/slide is fine, straight up something I have a brain glitch.
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Il Dio sotto la pelle

• Rep: 5
« Reply #106 on: November 30, 2017, 06:44:14 PM »
Heelflips, kickflips, and pop shovs. Can never seem to get my back foot down, frustrating but oh well.
Anyone got tips for nollies over things, I can get them on flat, but there is like a mental block when I try it over a curb or a street cone.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2017, 12:34:20 AM »
Heelflips, kickflips, and pop shovs. Can never seem to get my back foot down, frustrating but oh well.
Anyone got tips for nollies over things, I can get them on flat, but there is like a mental block when I try it over a curb or a street cone.

pop earlier than you'd think, learn them down small sets of stairs to get the right idea about the timing

Sandboxcop

• Rep: 3
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2017, 02:14:42 PM »
Expand Quote
BS 180s  :'(
[close]

Go outside right now and try one keeping your eyes on your back foot.

Dude thank you, always had a hard time rolling out switch and not pivoting.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2017, 05:54:56 AM »
tailslides, both fs and bs, and i've got good fs lipslides so fs tails shouldn't be too hard but for some reason i can't get them to slide, every time i try i do a tail stall. as for bs tailslides, i can't do them at all, i'm just too scared to try

frontside noseslides as well, another scary trick (for me at least)
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2017, 11:22:42 AM »
tailslides, both fs and bs, and i've got good fs lipslides so fs tails shouldn't be too hard but for some reason i can't get them to slide, every time i try i do a tail stall. as for bs tailslides, i can't do them at all, i'm just too scared to try

For tailslides I usually lean out away from the ledge and push down but forward with the foot thats sliding to really make the ledge slide. But thats on the ledges at the skatepark which are never really too waxed and don't slide well. I feel like the ledge would have to be insanely slick to be able to like stand straight and be chilling on a tailslide. I'd always stick on back tails till my friend pointed out you gotta push your back foot the same as front tails.

planman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2017, 10:16:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Does that actually work? I can't back one to save my life

shit_for_brains

« Reply #112 on: December 04, 2017, 05:53:14 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
For tailslides I usually lean out away from the ledge and push down but forward with the foot thats sliding to really make the ledge slide. But thats on the ledges at the skatepark which are never really too waxed and don't slide well. I feel like the ledge would have to be insanely slick to be able to like stand straight and be chilling on a tailslide. I'd always stick on back tails till my friend pointed out you gotta push your back foot the same as front tails.

All of this is good. Put every ounce of your weight on your sliding foot and lean a little bit back and you can coast those fuckers for miles.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2017, 11:58:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

All of this is good. Put every ounce of your weight on your sliding foot and lean a little bit back and you can coast those fuckers for miles.

This just clicked for me a few days ago as well for back tails. The front foot just does the guiding, the back foot does all the work.

Bizarro Jerry

• Rep: 34
« Reply #114 on: December 04, 2017, 05:39:24 PM »
K grinds. I learn them like once a year and lose them just as fast.

yatallfreak

• Rep: 11
« Reply #115 on: December 04, 2017, 05:55:14 PM »
Used to be able to 360 flip really consistently, I remember one day trying a line and being able to land them well every try. But now I can hardly even flip the fucking things. Somehow I can rotate them switch every try and fakie is really comfortable but regular just fucks with my head now. I just overthink them every try

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2017, 06:31:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I canīt seem to get out of bs tailslides. I have been trying for really long now and I guess it might be in my shoulders. When I land one which rarely happens, I fall out to fakie awkwardly. I can slide them but I cant get out of them. Any tips on that? thanks

shit_for_brains

« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2017, 09:15:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

I canīt seem to get out of bs tailslides. I have been trying for really long now and I guess it might be in my shoulders. When I land one which rarely happens, I fall out to fakie awkwardly. I can slide them but I cant get out of them. Any tips on that? thanks

It's probably your hips. I don't move my upper body much if I'm doing bs tails to regular, so if your shoulders are getting in the mix try keeping your upper body mostly facing the direction it was when you hit your tail. Then you can just rotate your hips out of it.

Sandboxcop

• Rep: 3
« Reply #118 on: December 05, 2017, 01:06:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Does that actually work? I can't back one to save my life

Did for me, I guess it tricked my shoulders to turn all the way around, try it out, I was getting them the cleanest I ever have pretty quickly that way.

truthislie

• Rep: 54
« Reply #119 on: December 05, 2017, 01:07:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

It's probably your hips. I don't move my upper body much if I'm doing bs tails to regular, so if your shoulders are getting in the mix try keeping your upper body mostly facing the direction it was when you hit your tail. Then you can just rotate your hips out of it.

Thank you, I ll focus on my hips and report back when I find a dry place to skate again which will probably be next weekend  8)