Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151881 times)

Lloyd Braun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 80
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #210 on: April 24, 2018, 01:43:47 PM »
Expand Quote
^ any tips on getting back tails to regular? Finally figured them out to fakie, needs more work, but can't do them to regs to save my life, I don't seem to physically be able to whip my lower body around enough to prevent my wheel from jamming whilst still looking forwards.
[close]

Your brain and nerves will tell you you're turning out enough, but you aren't. Over swing like you're in a cartoon. You won't over turn I promise.

I find its the front shoulder/arm, keep it turned out almost looking over your shoulder type position. If that doesn't work just shuv out some days I find that easier.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #211 on: April 25, 2018, 12:59:36 PM »
This is kind of embarrassing but i can't land heelflips for shit. i started skating a couple of years ago but spent more time on ledge and trying the weirder tricks like wallies, polejams, slappies.
I've landed a few but now that im trying to get them properly down i always land with my front foot in front of the nose and i cant fix it. I can flip them every try but my front foot just won't land it.

I really fell for skating even though i discovered it kind of late (when i was 16), so its really getting me down that i dont have a flip trick yet. Thanks for any advice you might have. x

Never had this problem, but like I've said before in this thread, don't think of it like a heel. Do an ollie except hang the toes on your front foot off the board a little. It should work itself out.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #212 on: April 26, 2018, 03:53:11 PM »
Will someone please properly explain to this regular pile of meat how to properly get into a backside smith-grind?

I can only do those ones that don't dip and grind no longer than a cunt-hair.

I used to be good at both back side lip slides and back side smiths on ledges. Never learned front side of either very well--always more of a back side guy. When you do a back smith pretend you are going to do a back lip, but instead of turning 90 degrees just stop at whatever you need to get your back trucks on and front trucks on the side of the ledge. Also, do the ollie like a back-side shifty and land on the ledge with your front leg straight in mid shifty. The higher you ollie the less you will grind this trick when you land. If you land in the shifty pose you will grind well. If your question is for ramp I have no idea as I don't do the Monty grind. Hope this helps. I got excited cause I really liked this trick once upon a time. Maybe I will try it next time I skate the box at my local skate-lite park. Oh the horror...

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #213 on: May 09, 2018, 03:25:01 PM »
nollie flips damn it and it makes me sad
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #214 on: May 09, 2018, 03:53:57 PM »

All the dudes in my crew can nollie flip but me  :-\

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #215 on: May 09, 2018, 05:10:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

All the dudes in my crew can nollie flip but me  :-\

^Same haha. I swear its literally impossible.

streetsoup

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #216 on: May 09, 2018, 05:17:11 PM »
Switch pop shuvs.
Halfcab flips.
any switch or nollie flip.
Forever 3flips.
mydicks.
bs heels.
180 sw manuals.
Front feebles and crooks.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #217 on: May 09, 2018, 08:47:44 PM »
Switch pop shuvs.
Halfcab flips.
any switch or nollie flip.
Forever 3flips.
mydicks.
bs heels.
180 sw manuals.
Front feebles and crooks.

Kick down not out

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #218 on: May 09, 2018, 11:00:54 PM »
There's still hope. Always had a good nollie bs flip forever but couldn't do a regular nollie flip for my life until recently. Was always envious of homies or littles kids who had em on lock. Learned em finally at age 34/35 pretty good. Could do em at the end of lines but not doin em over a gap or down stairs or anything. As far as basic ass tricks that piss me off? Always wanted to but never landed or even locked into a frontside half cab noseslide on anything, always wanted to do a really good one...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2018, 11:05:13 PM »
sounds weird but think of it as a switch nollie back tail

Confession: I can only do them on tiny curbs

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #220 on: May 10, 2018, 04:39:42 AM »
Still 3flips.. at this point I can land them nollie but not regular. I can't make my front foot do the scoop-drag motion. I land with only the back foot on or both feet on the nose haha it's so frustrating.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Trashcon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #221 on: May 15, 2018, 08:13:48 PM »
Ollie north, never been able to do them. At 30 years old and on the board for 16, I can say I've landed probably like 5. My friends do them with ease, while I'm over here sweating bullets trying.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #222 on: May 16, 2018, 05:06:02 AM »
Ollie north, never been able to do them. At 30 years old and on the board for 16, I can say I've landed probably like 5. My friends do them with ease, while I'm over here sweating bullets trying.

think of it as a kickflip without the ankle flick. you ollie then kick straight off the nose, really like you would for a good kickflip but you don't use your ankle, you keep your foot stiff and solid. back foot on the board controls it by keeping it flat, to prevent flippage but really like it would for a normal ollie so you don't think about it.

Mark Renton's problem on 360 flips has to be upper body-related. if you land in front of the board, you're leaning forwards too much. upper body should be straight, perpendicular to the ground - don't bend like you're looking over your nose, sit on that back leg instead. you pop and scoop with the big toe on your back foot, over the edge. shoulders facing where you're going and you never move them or the board will fly out of control. really try using the pop too so they don't look too flat or varial kickflippish. then don't turn your hips either and aim for the bolts (sounds dumb but for this trick it really works). if you keep landing in front of the nose, try leaning back more. if (like me) you're not a natural at that trick then yes it can get frustrating, but it's really worth it when you get it down. I know I've always refused to learn it without the pop, like most kids do them (which seems to enable them to do them super easily, but personally I've never liked that look, I kind of like the struggle on those).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 05:08:51 AM by silhouette »

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #223 on: May 18, 2018, 01:58:26 AM »
I landed a few yesterday. I think I was messing up:
- back foot placement, toes needed to be more on the tail
- shoulders needed to be parallel

It might have been the slippery ground and/or the new bushings (realized I was skating with exploded ones) but I'm stoked. First 3flips in years!
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #224 on: May 18, 2018, 02:13:03 AM »
that's funny you just got them back after you changed your bushings because coincidentally I just changed mine too and got flatground switch 360 flips back yesterday too (hadn't done a good one in maybe 14 years not counting flatbanks, on which they are easier), also on slippery ground but that's a start. back foot placement is key. I also just very recently understood how crucial guiding your tail around with your big toe throughout the whole pop was, in a way that feels almost like an impossible rather than a pop shove-it if that makes sense. makes the concave stick to the front foot so you can get the flip a lot better.

Kalis just posted a clip of a dude doing one with super exaggerated back foot action on IG, it starts off looking silly then he gets mad pop and good form out of it, it's crazy:

https://instagram.com/p/Bi3Lp-NlikF/

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #225 on: May 22, 2018, 10:38:14 AM »
how close to the ledge are you supposed to be for backside tailslides on the approach? I keep landing on top of the ledge with either half my truck or both wheels. I don’t know if I need to approach from further away or turn it differently in the air. some people look really close as they approach.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #226 on: May 22, 2018, 11:07:23 AM »
how close to the ledge are you supposed to be for backside tailslides on the approach? I keep landing on top of the ledge with either half my truck or both wheels. I don’t know if I need to approach from further away or turn it differently in the air. some people look really close as they approach.

Depends on how you approach it. If you come at an angle and swing into it you're going to want to be farther away. Your problem sounds like you're riding pretty parallel with it and you do your turning in the air, so you want to be close but not close enough to land like you are. Getting your wheels on top also comes from combining the two approaches where you ride parallel and swing, or come at an angle and ollie straight. You have to pick one. I'd say keep doing what you're doing but play around with how far from the ledge you should be. It's a matter of like halves of inches.

ogbawtawd

« Reply #227 on: May 22, 2018, 03:23:52 PM »
Backside flip, I neverd rolled away, I can Bs 180 all day but not with the flip.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #228 on: May 23, 2018, 03:04:56 PM »
man i suck at feeble grinds
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

Double Pegasus

• Rep: 6
« Reply #229 on: May 27, 2018, 03:20:46 PM »
that's funny you just got them back after you changed your bushings because coincidentally I just changed mine too and got flatground switch 360 flips back yesterday too (hadn't done a good one in maybe 14 years not counting flatbanks, on which they are easier), also on slippery ground but that's a start. back foot placement is key. I also just very recently understood how crucial guiding your tail around with your big toe throughout the whole pop was, in a way that feels almost like an impossible rather than a pop shove-it if that makes sense. makes the concave stick to the front foot so you can get the flip a lot better.

Kalis just posted a clip of a dude doing one with super exaggerated back foot action on IG, it starts off looking silly then he gets mad pop and good form out of it, it's crazy:

https://instagram.com/p/Bi3Lp-NlikF/

really appreciate this kind of super in depth discussion about the actual act of skating, great tip on the switch tre

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #230 on: May 30, 2018, 06:06:51 AM »
Front shove-it.  I used to do them where I had to jump backward towards my heels like 4 feet, which just looks so nauseatingly atrocious that I refuse to ever do one like that ever again.

I’ve been trying to land a nice one that stays under me for about a year and have not landed a single one.  I can do a fair amount of flip tricks but something about the back foot motion is so mysterious and baffling.  The whole pop-straight-toe-push thing is so simple, yet I struggle with it.

Recently I’ve got the motion dialed-in and I keep the board under me but my back foot simply refuses to get back on the board.  So now I have to somehow confront the reality that at a very deep, subconscious level I am too big of a pussy to land a front shuvit on flat.  It’s humiliating and enraging beyond belief, haha.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #231 on: May 30, 2018, 11:52:26 AM »
Front shove-it.  I used to do them where I had to jump backward towards my heels like 4 feet, which just looks so nauseatingly atrocious that I refuse to ever do one like that ever again.

I’ve been trying to land a nice one that stays under me for about a year and have not landed a single one.  I can do a fair amount of flip tricks but something about the back foot motion is so mysterious and baffling.  The whole pop-straight-toe-push thing is so simple, yet I struggle with it.

Recently I’ve got the motion dialed-in and I keep the board under me but my back foot simply refuses to get back on the board.  So now I have to somehow confront the reality that at a very deep, subconscious level I am too big of a pussy to land a front shuvit on flat.  It’s humiliating and enraging beyond belief, haha.

don't scoop for front shoves, although the way the trick works on paper makes it sound like you should, the scoop on those is a waste of energy and balance. just pop straight down, super hard and the board will spring right up till it meets your front foot for the catch. that's how I've fine-tuned mine over time at least and honestly I think that's how I can make them look the most proper; plus it's practical too because then you can occasionally get some stupid high ones with that technique. it's really just brute force then front foot catch. the board will be more prone to try and flip though, so you might land primo occasionally at first when you're figuring it out.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 11:53:58 AM by silhouette »

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #232 on: May 30, 2018, 11:59:49 AM »
If you pop straight down, how does it start rotating frontside?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #233 on: May 30, 2018, 12:05:35 PM »
I guess due to the initial foot positioning? back foot in the pocket should be enough to throw the axis off. just have your big toe in the right spot. front foot doesn't move, you just suck your leg up and the board will come around and meet it. also kind of sit back like you would for a heelflip and make sure to keep your upper body straight and centered the whole time so you stay in control.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 12:07:17 PM by silhouette »

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #234 on: May 30, 2018, 12:09:48 PM »
Going to put some time in today on them.  Hopefully your method works.  Can’t wait to finally figure these things out.

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #235 on: May 30, 2018, 09:05:31 PM »
I just learned FS shuvits. I find that it is a trick you don't need to pop. I like to shuffle this trick. Try to pop off the nose as the tail. That seems to be easier than off the tail. Set up with your front foot in heel flip position. Back foot toe should be in the middle of the tail (nose in tail position). When you pop don't jump high. Instead, push you back foot sideways and slightly forward on the pop and grab the tail of the board as quickly as possible with your back foot. Your front foot should already be on your board if shuffled properly. Watch old Rick Howard videos as he has a nonchalant front side shuvit. It's the ultimate steezy trick. Recently I moved my deck size from 8" to 8.5" and it made FS shuvits easier to perform. Makes the board less likely to flip.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #236 on: June 05, 2018, 06:29:47 PM »
Not sure if it helps but I find front shuvs to be easier when you don't think or care about it, and just kinda do it

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

Jollyoli

• Rep: 91
« Reply #237 on: June 06, 2018, 01:46:24 AM »
Not sure if it helps but I find front shuvs skateboarding to be easier when you don't think or care about it, and just kinda do it
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

rEVOLVED

• Rep: 0
« Reply #238 on: June 08, 2018, 02:17:30 PM »
Ollie. Yup, I said it! Just got back on the board after almost a decade off. I can get up curbs and ledges, and even ollie manual some little pads, but if I'm just rolling around ollieing for fun, it looks like shit right now. Can't wait to clean it up.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #239 on: June 12, 2018, 09:18:21 AM »
Ollie. Yup, I said it! Just got back on the board after almost a decade off. I can get up curbs and ledges, and even ollie manual some little pads, but if I'm just rolling around ollieing for fun, it looks like shit right now. Can't wait to clean it up.

I went through the exact same thing.  Was off the board for about 10 years also, something that I regret everyday.   It was embarrassing at first (and sometimes still is) but it’s been equally fun and frustrating getting all my tricks back.

It’s interesting now that I’m older and have more patience so I am cleaning up lots of old bad habits with tricks and learning brand new ones. 

I remember being shocked that 7.75 is now considered really small and 7.5s are almost nonexistent