Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151897 times)

Jollyoli

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 91
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #330 on: October 24, 2018, 02:30:51 AM »
Anyone have some insight on nollie flips?  I’ve struggled with them for years.

Do them like a switch fakie flip, if that is not too stoopid an answer (it works for me, keeps my shoulders straight).
Hey, hey, hey. Don't be mean. We don't have to be mean because, remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #331 on: October 31, 2018, 02:41:25 AM »
Not a basic trick by any means but what's the deal with sw 360flips? I surprisingly have no problem with the flick it's just that I tend to go bodyvarial when I try them. Silhouette? haha
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #332 on: October 31, 2018, 03:46:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

i struggle with em too but ill land one now and then. it helps me to practice my switch flick even when im not skating. just flicking the carpet with my weak foot under my desk at work.

someone tld me long ago you gotta push your nose out in front of you. totally worked for me. Aim to make your nose connect with the pavement a good 6-8 inches ahead og where you are, not just straight down. makes the other foots flick a shit tonne less effortful and they seem to pop up higher too

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #333 on: October 31, 2018, 09:15:22 AM »
Not a basic trick by any means but what's the deal with sw 360flips? I surprisingly have no problem with the flick it's just that I tend to go bodyvarial when I try them. Silhouette? haha

yeah that's the most common problem, how good are you at straight sw flip tricks already? if you do a lot of them you'll start learning how to naturally keep your shoulders parallel to the board on switch tricks, as opposed to spontaneously try to revert back to your 'safer' regular stance (which I think is what you brain tries to get you to do in such instances). if you can nollie 360 flip on flat, try doing switch 360 flips on banks first maybe, they're pretty much the exact same thing and will help you get the feel of staying over the board so you can build confidence. that's what I did trying to relearn them this summer and after a while I could just do them on flat easily. I've been doing switch impossibles for 18 years too; occasionally I'll trick my brain into thinking I'm about to do one although I'm set up and then flick for a sw 360 flip, and that seems to make me stay over the board on the worst skate days when I normally wouldn't. also pop with the big toe, keep your upper body parallel and don't lean forwards. hope that helps

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #334 on: October 31, 2018, 01:19:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

i struggle with em too but ill land one now and then. it helps me to practice my switch flick even when im not skating. just flicking the carpet with my weak foot under my desk at work.
[close]

someone tld me long ago you gotta push your nose out in front of you. totally worked for me. Aim to make your nose connect with the pavement a good 6-8 inches ahead og where you are, not just straight down. makes the other foots flick a shit tonne less effortful and they seem to pop up higher too

that's a good tip... will try and keep that in mind
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

LegitDude

• Rep: 6
« Reply #335 on: November 02, 2018, 09:54:19 AM »
What's the secret to pop shuvs?

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #336 on: November 02, 2018, 02:56:59 PM »
What's the secret to pop shuvs?

all in the back foot, middle of your tail (stay away from the pocket). your front foot chills
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 02:58:36 PM by redcurb12 »
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

dragonblade

• Rep: -12
« Reply #337 on: November 26, 2018, 01:07:45 AM »
Seems like I can no longer do board slides. Back in the 80s, this was an easy trick. Worked perfectly the first time I tried it (with plastic rib bones on my Powell Peralta.) A few decades later (today) I tried the very same trick on a brand new board with no rib bones and could not slide at all. Now obviously, bare wood is not going to slide as well as plastic but I was expecting some slide at least but I didn't even get a millimeter. I can swivel the board on the curb while stationary so that shows that it's slideable at least. But when I approach at medium speed and mount the curb, I come to a complete stop.

Annoying because I remember this was a really fun trick.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 01:11:50 AM by dragonblade »

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #338 on: November 26, 2018, 03:18:43 AM »
Seems like I can no longer do board slides. Back in the 80s, this was an easy trick. Worked perfectly the first time I tried it (with plastic rib bones on my Powell Peralta.) A few decades later (today) I tried the very same trick on a brand new board with no rib bones and could not slide at all. Now obviously, bare wood is not going to slide as well as plastic but I was expecting some slide at least but I didn't even get a millimeter. I can swivel the board on the curb while stationary so that shows that it's slideable at least. But when I approach at medium speed and mount the curb, I come to a complete stop.

Annoying because I remember this was a really fun trick.

More speed and/or a bit of wax.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #339 on: November 26, 2018, 06:18:54 AM »
does anyone have tips for switch front bigspins? started trying to get em around last night and once i got the foot positioning down i could whip it around fairly quick and get the front foot on but when i actually try to commit and jump for it then it fucks up and or flips

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #340 on: November 28, 2018, 07:16:24 AM »
does anyone have tips for switch front bigspins? started trying to get em around last night and once i got the foot positioning down i could whip it around fairly quick and get the front foot on but when i actually try to commit and jump for it then it fucks up and or flips

all in the back foot. front foot does nothing but getting out of the way. body centered, weight distributed over the back foot in sw front pop position in the corner of the tail, pop the meanest sw front pop you can all the while turning your shoulders and try kicking in front of you with your back foot to help guide the board around. pop even harder than you normally would because you want the board to over-rotate after all, you can use that momentum to go even higher than on sw f/s shuvs. if done proper you should catch the board under your front foot at the peak of the trick then late 180 but you'll probably revert of your first few ones on the ground. focus on popping then catching that sw f/s shove as hard as you can then your upper body rotation will bring your hips back around. stomp that shit
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 07:27:39 AM by silhouette »

Fredonskateboard

• Rep: -5
« Reply #341 on: November 28, 2018, 08:24:13 AM »
I got problems with the board flipping when trying 360 shuvs, big spins etc.
Tips?

wasthatswitch

• Rep: 0
« Reply #342 on: November 28, 2018, 12:27:59 PM »
Switch front shuv
FS 50-50 on tranny or ledges
FS 5-0, BS 5-0 on ledges
Fakie 50-50 any way on anything
Reg Heelflip / Fakie Heelflip
Reg FS flip
Reg FS 180 pisses me off to no end cause i dont think I ever rolled away from one and felt even remotely satisfied.

switchfakienollie

• Rep: 3
« Reply #343 on: December 18, 2018, 02:40:02 PM »
Fuck kickflips I hate them. Heelflips all day

shit_for_brains

« Reply #344 on: December 19, 2018, 09:38:53 AM »
Tips?

I have this problem a lot because I learned 360 flips before anything else. I still struggle with not flipping stuff but I had to completely take my toes out of the equation. I set up more like a heelflip and make sure my front leg just comes straight up instead of out. I started doing that thing the kids do with bigspins where they kind of keep their front foot angled like they're ollieing and it helps a bit. Keeps it more stuck to my foot and prevents it from flipping.

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #345 on: December 19, 2018, 12:15:38 PM »
also a tip on 360 shoves, don't do them

crustynosepick

• Rep: -56
« Reply #346 on: December 19, 2018, 12:19:24 PM »
No matter what I do, every time I lock into a backtail I slip out onto my face.Somebody please help.

ungzilla

« Reply #347 on: December 19, 2018, 01:45:27 PM »
Tips?

keep that front foot hovering as close to board as possible, i.e. you're doing all the jump w/ the backfoot, don't lift your front foot independently of your back.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #348 on: December 19, 2018, 02:05:08 PM »
No matter what I do, every time I lock into a backtail I slip out onto my face.Somebody please help.

You're turning your body/shoulders too much. Turn that less and your hips more.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1177
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #349 on: December 19, 2018, 03:35:43 PM »
I've only been able to land 270 when trying 360s bs or fs. Sure curbs and shit help but not consistently. I think i just need to better strength in my pop, or spin harder, fuck if I know. I just wish I had them clean.

AitchBeeGayBuh

• Rep: 58
« Reply #350 on: December 20, 2018, 04:38:35 PM »
Tips?
Learned 360s, big spins, n impossibles in my late 20's/early 30's... Whenever I'm doin any scoopin moves like those I try not to pop but instead focus more on my back foot pushing the tail directly into the ground while doin whatever trick u want to do. Like any trick though u gotta have your weight centered pretty good while doin it.

Backside flips piss me off a lot, over the years I've done em over decent sized gaps, down stuff, over fire hydrants, an into tailslides on knee high ledges but it's not a trick thats ever been totally consistant, usually in the middle of a line I'll do one n 9 times outta 10 I'm landing n rolling away but my boards pretty much cuttin grass n mowin the lawn with how high it 'pops'.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #351 on: December 21, 2018, 06:43:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Tips?
[close]
Learned 360s, big spins, n impossibles in my late 20's/early 30's... Whenever I'm doin any scoopin moves like those I try not to pop but instead focus more on my back foot pushing the tail directly into the ground while doin whatever trick u want to do. Like any trick though u gotta have your weight centered pretty good while doin it.

Backside flips piss me off a lot, over the years I've done em over decent sized gaps, down stuff, over fire hydrants, an into tailslides on knee high ledges but it's not a trick thats ever been totally consistant, usually in the middle of a line I'll do one n 9 times outta 10 I'm landing n rolling away but my boards pretty much cuttin grass n mowin the lawn with how high it 'pops'.

Mine always looked like varial flip body varials until I stopped trying to 180 a kickflip and started trying to kickflip a 180

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #352 on: December 22, 2018, 06:57:34 AM »
Back 5050??

I feel like I’m always crooked and at risk of the board flipping forward/down and me falling back. That ollie up is awkward. Help

shit_for_brains

« Reply #353 on: December 22, 2018, 07:22:51 AM »
Back 5050??

I feel like I’m always crooked and at risk of the board flipping forward/down and me falling back. That ollie up is awkward. Help

You're putting your weight on the wrong side of the edge. I have my shoulders open enough to where I'm always looking at the ledge while I'm grinding and if I fuck up, I either go sort of feeble or I'm up on top of the ledge. I bet you have your back totally turned to it. You're grinding on the edge of it when you want to grind on top of the edge of it.

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #354 on: December 23, 2018, 12:05:43 AM »

I think it's all about having your back knee bent. If your knee is straight you can do absolutely nothing when the board slips from under you. If your knee is bent you can hop off as you feel your board starting to slip away, and not fall on your face.

Also, the more speed you have the more time you have to feel the board slip away. It's easier to balance.

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #355 on: December 25, 2018, 07:00:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Back 5050??

[close]

You're putting your weight on the wrong side of the edge. I have my shoulders open enough to where I'm always looking at the ledge while I'm grinding and if I fuck up, I either go sort of feeble or I'm up on top of the ledge. I bet you have your back totally turned to it. You're grinding on the edge of it when you want to grind on top of the edge of it.

I’ve learned this lesson on other grinds before but always good to be reminded

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #356 on: December 26, 2018, 11:04:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Back 5050??

[close]

[close]

I’ve learned this lesson on other grinds before but always good to be reminded

Might be just me but I find it to be an especially important one for nosegrinds in particular (frontside and backside), if that can help anybody with their nosegrinds

Halfcab180

• Rep: 8
« Reply #357 on: December 28, 2018, 06:54:38 PM »
Back 5050??

What made them click for me was locking in with my back truck first, and thinking about the ollie on to the ledge as a very subtle back 180. Foot positioning is the same, just barely wind up and aim with the back truck. Learn them as stalls first coming at a steep angle to get comfortable with the motion, then increase speed and decrease angle of approach.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #358 on: December 29, 2018, 03:11:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Back 5050??

[close]

What made them click for me was locking in with my back truck first, and thinking about the ollie on to the ledge as a very subtle back 180. Foot positioning is the same, just barely wind up and aim with the back truck. Learn them as stalls first coming at a steep angle to get comfortable with the motion, then increase speed and decrease angle of approach.

This is what made them click for me.  They’re one of those tricks that get easier the faster you go.

They definitely feel weird at first.

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #359 on: December 30, 2018, 02:38:23 AM »
They feel weird because you shouldn't treat them like back 180s that's how you get your shoulders all twisted up and you'll never feel comfortable. You aren't half disastering you're just ollieing up to ride the edge.