Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151921 times)

redcurb12

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 29
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #360 on: January 02, 2019, 10:41:20 AM »
They feel weird because you shouldn't treat them like back 180s that's how you get your shoulders all twisted up and you'll never feel comfortable. You aren't half disastering you're just ollieing up to ride the edge.

agreed. just look a little ahead of where you want to lock in. i always focus more on locking my front truck in on 50-50s this way i know my back truck will kind of follow - if you lock in back truck only you go into a feeble/boardslide. i find putting my front foot a little lower than my regular ollie helps a lot too for some reason. just ollie onto the ledge and don't over think it
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #361 on: January 02, 2019, 11:18:02 AM »
bs 50-50s
regular fs 180 is always ugly, sw one is proper
any kind of bigspin going forward. any flip that goes 360 degrees horizontally and going forwards basically impossible for me.
nose manuals

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #362 on: January 08, 2019, 09:50:18 AM »
Frontside half-Cabs. Every time I do one it feels like the first time.

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #363 on: January 08, 2019, 06:14:09 PM »
Look forward when you land

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #364 on: January 09, 2019, 07:50:58 AM »
nollie fs anything

straight

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #365 on: January 09, 2019, 10:14:52 AM »
sw back 180 .. rather do sw bs flip and not look like a kook with no pop
What kind of mikey taylor logic is this?

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #366 on: January 09, 2019, 11:29:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Look forward when you land
OMG, that actually worked. Thanks!  :D

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #367 on: January 09, 2019, 01:14:47 PM »
Regular bs... I guess im all screwed up from the fact that I snowboard regular and skate goofy

Smell My Finger

• Rep: -1
« Reply #368 on: January 09, 2019, 02:40:55 PM »
Heelflips always seem to go up into my scrotum for some reason.
DECK: Blueprint Spray Heart (Yellow/ Black)
TRUCKS: Tensor Lows (Black/ Yellow)
BEARINGS: Mini Logo
WHEELS: Status 53mm

Mongo!

shit_for_brains

« Reply #369 on: January 09, 2019, 03:46:47 PM »
Heelflips always seem to go up into my scrotum for some reason.

Kick a little more straight out and less off the nose. If they go up like that you're going too much off the nose. It's a very small difference. Heelflips aren't kickflips on the other side.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #370 on: January 09, 2019, 04:27:51 PM »
Finally figured out the actual technique of ollie one foots. I've always been able to bullshit them on and off, but whenever I would actually try one it would just look like a really bad kickflip attempt.

And that is one of the many basic tricks that piss me off. :)

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #371 on: January 09, 2019, 08:50:10 PM »
Finally figured out the actual technique of ollie one foots. I've always been able to bullshit them on and off, but whenever I would actually try one it would just look like a really bad kickflip attempt.

Would you like to share your epiphany with the class?

I basically treat them like a heelflip that goes straight off the nose instead of at an angle.  Do you do something different?
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
« Reply #372 on: January 10, 2019, 02:06:16 AM »
raise back foot enough, its like a boned ollie but your board needs to bone more so that your foot overshoots off the nose

also kick more aggressively

shit_for_brains

« Reply #373 on: January 10, 2019, 07:58:47 AM »
I learned one foots by trying to kickflip like Jeremy Wray

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #374 on: January 10, 2019, 08:14:25 AM »
I learned them by putting my front foot completely over the front bolts and trying to ollie how I normally would

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #375 on: January 10, 2019, 04:15:25 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I basically treat them like a heelflip that goes straight off the nose instead of at an angle.  Do you do something different?

that's funny, I've been doing those and teaching them to people for 20 years and always broke it down as a kickflip that went straight off the nose (and you kick out instead of flicking). it never once occured to me it could also be seen as a heelflip and now my mind is blown.

mine has always looked pretty timid, I kick down on the nose hard enough for the board to go nearly vertical on them (with a downwards dive) with my back foot catching the tail but I can't seem to get that full leg extension most people get on them (except on switch ones), I suck my knee up instead. I always catch my kickflips in that pose too which makes me wonder how the two can interfere.

I could never tweak my regular ollies either. The back foot action again only works on sw ollies and the occasional good switch flip here

Double Pegasus

• Rep: 6
« Reply #376 on: January 13, 2019, 10:29:45 AM »
how do i do fakie ollie switch five o (the hard one with heels towards the curb)??

do you come in at an angle or parallel to the curb? do you put your weight on top of the curb or to the side?

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #377 on: January 13, 2019, 04:35:11 PM »
how do i do fakie ollie switch five o (the hard one with heels towards the curb)??

do you come in at an angle or parallel to the curb? do you put your weight on top of the curb or to the side?

I think weight on top of ledge works best. What helped me most was to roll up looking forwards at the ledge, but as soon as you pop, instantly look back and close your shoulders off, look at your back foot and put it into the grind. This way, you can see the ledge before you pop so you can gauge distance and timing, but after you pop, you can aim the grind.

Go at a slight angle, too little and it will be hard to get your truck on unless you have a really good backside fakie shifty ollie, and too much and you'll miss your truck and go into lip. Angle is mostly experimentation and personal preference at the end of the day.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:36:57 PM by tzhangdox »

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #378 on: January 13, 2019, 06:31:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I always tried to do them the same way I ollie, just with my foot farther up. Except for ollies my front foot is basically in the same position as a kickflip, so my board would always flip when I'd try it. Putting my front foot similar to a heelflip helped me get it off the nose without it flipping, but my other revelation was to kinda throw my shoulders forward so the board bones slightly downward as I kick forward. Not gonna claim I'm particularly good at this trick yet, but it's fun and I'm glad I can at least do the basic motion without guaranteeing myself a primo.

Brguy

« Reply #379 on: January 14, 2019, 11:00:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Back 5050??

I feel like I’m always crooked and at risk of the board flipping forward/down and me falling back. That ollie up is awkward. Help
[close]

What made them click for me was locking in with my back truck first, and thinking about the ollie on to the ledge as a very subtle back 180. Foot positioning is the same, just barely wind up and aim with the back truck. Learn them as stalls first coming at a steep angle to get comfortable with the motion, then increase speed and decrease angle of approach.
To me it was just getting comfortable with missing the grind and just getting up the ledge backside, with time my aim got better. Of course I can't do them on rails, though.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #380 on: January 14, 2019, 03:11:28 PM »
Boardslides/lipslides on rails. Every time I commit I end up slipping out backward even if I am slightly squatting down to keep my balance.

Vintagebody

• Rep: 76
« Reply #381 on: January 15, 2019, 04:36:34 AM »
Boardslides/lipslides on rails. Every time I commit I end up slipping out backward even if I am slightly squatting down to keep my balance.

Doesnt help to squat down if your shoulders are behind. Try to have your shoulders more forwards. If your head/shoulders are behind your knees, its really difficult to recover from too much backwards leaning.

Really, like in most sports where one might use the body for balance, like skateboarding, rollerbladers, BMX, motocross etc, theres a basic position we call "Attack/Neutral position".
Slight bend in the knees, and shoulders forwards so that you are prepared for anything.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:39:14 AM by Vintagebody »

Brguy

« Reply #382 on: January 15, 2019, 08:43:13 AM »
I always do lipslides in two motions, ollie and then change my whole mindset to standing up on the rail, this way I won't be just leaning the way I do when I ollie. Boardslides almost the same thing, I just don't focus so much on the ollie, just on standing upright on the rail. Bending the knees is probably just for style points or so you don't snap your board.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #383 on: January 15, 2019, 12:51:17 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Doesnt help to squat down if your shoulders are behind. Try to have your shoulders more forwards. If your head/shoulders are behind your knees, its really difficult to recover from too much backwards leaning.

Really, like in most sports where one might use the body for balance, like skateboarding, rollerbladers, BMX, motocross etc, theres a basic position we call "Attack/Neutral position".
Slight bend in the knees, and shoulders forwards so that you are prepared for anything.

For sure, thank you. Then there is the struggle of not leaning to far forward.

calvinsdream

« Reply #384 on: January 16, 2019, 06:03:59 PM »
I have front feebles better than front 5050s
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:05:32 PM by calvinsdream »

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #385 on: January 16, 2019, 09:49:33 PM »

Does that piss you off?

I think it’s just you being wonderful you, and God don’t make no trash.   
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

calvinsdream

« Reply #386 on: January 17, 2019, 04:16:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Does that piss you off?

I think it’s just you being wonderful you, and God don’t make no trash.   

Not piss me off exactly, but more confusing.

Thanks man

mpiss

• Rep: 2
« Reply #387 on: January 20, 2019, 10:09:25 PM »
Back feebles. Anybody got any tips about them? Especially about getting into them
The year is 2364. Frog will be the only skateboard company.

dirtyweemidden

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #388 on: January 21, 2019, 12:01:14 AM »
Back feebles. Anybody got any tips about them? Especially about getting into them

get good at backside 5.0s. then if your tryna feeble a rail, aim to be grinding the corner closest to you - not the top of the rail. all your weight is over your back leg, front foot basically does nothing. shoulders paralel to the rail and eye ahead to the end of the rail

mpiss

• Rep: 2
« Reply #389 on: January 21, 2019, 12:14:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

get good at backside 5.0s. then if your tryna feeble a rail, aim to be grinding the corner closest to you - not the top of the rail. all your weight is over your back leg, front foot basically does nothing. shoulders paralel to the rail and eye ahead to the end of the rail
Thanks man I'll try this out tomorrow. My shoulders are always wrong with every trick so I need to work that out.
The year is 2364. Frog will be the only skateboard company.