Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151894 times)

shit_for_brains

Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #420 on: March 07, 2019, 08:11:15 AM »
I got nothin for regular fs heels. Try not to cut your dick off? I can't do regular varial heels either only switch. The switch fs heels I've done pretty much pivoted on the ground off my tail so I stopped doing them. That trick just don't make no sense.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1092
« Reply #421 on: March 07, 2019, 09:02:50 AM »
I got nothin for regular fs heels. Try not to cut your dick off? I can't do regular varial heels either only switch. The switch fs heels I've done pretty much pivoted on the ground off my tail so I stopped doing them. That trick just don't make no sense.

End of mike York’s part where that kid gets into his way and he does the jumping 360 to Dalsim sit down= me the last time I tried that trick in earnest. It was 10 years ago and it was the first time I remember slamming and feeling old. Like where the act of missing the trick was soooo off and the level of contortion that resulted were just not commiserate with the intention. Fucked. It looked hilarious tho. Everyone assured me of that. Definitely took a letter in skate

Brguy

« Reply #422 on: March 07, 2019, 09:24:16 AM »
Varial Heels are basically shove its with your front foot standing still, once you get that it's easier to start trying to kick like Andrew. Fs Heels are just that perfect turning/flick angle ratio, it's like a well done fs flip where you flick it as it spins on your foot and for a second your foot make from under to over the nose and you still catch it sideways before completing it, the difference being you're kicking out and the balance to do this is all weird, just needs a fuck ton of practice.

Little Debbie

« Reply #423 on: March 08, 2019, 09:40:33 AM »
seems like people get front heels easier with some pre-pop shoulder wind-up and the right amount of jumping forward with it. i agree, fucking maddening trick

Brguy

« Reply #424 on: March 08, 2019, 09:05:51 PM »
Anyone got tips on bs 360s? I managed to spin 270 a couple of times but almost twisted my front foot ankle on both, I want to spin them like Westgate, landing on the back, but that shit fucks all my balance and I either can't keep straight or can't bring the board with.

front3

« Reply #425 on: March 11, 2019, 01:49:26 PM »
any tips for powersliding bs?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #426 on: March 11, 2019, 05:43:33 PM »
I got my tips on here way back when but carving frontside before you whip it out helps to set your body up for them. I still do that to this day. Smooth arse ground and some F4 radial slims will also contribute greatly to your success ;)

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #427 on: March 11, 2019, 06:14:47 PM »
Anyone got tips on bs 360s? I managed to spin 270 a couple of times but almost twisted my front foot ankle on both, I want to spin them like Westgate, landing on the back, but that shit fucks all my balance and I either can't keep straight or can't bring the board with.

Don't think of it as an extended backside 180. It's all in the back foot and scooping motion from start to finish. Throw your shoulders into the spin earlier than you think you should be doing, your upper body should be looking backwards already before your tail even pops if that makes sense (don't die) because it leads the rotation and then the hips follow through.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #428 on: March 15, 2019, 12:58:34 AM »

keep body posture as forward as possible. work with the hips. to slide crank it with the backfoot, frontfoot only holds it in place until you want to go forward again. shift weight from the back to the front foot to go straight again. the tail should kind of whip back behind you unless you overturned on the powerslide. then you might actually need to counter slide back with the front or shuffle/wiggle out someway, which is harder to do going bs.

you could also think of it as a fs bluntslide on flat, but you keep the front lightly on the ground.

doing them over manholes is good training. or find some woodplank that you can phantom powerslide backlip.

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 763
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #429 on: March 15, 2019, 03:29:11 AM »
What helped me to learn the motion was t exaggerate the movements to the point of joking/faking it. Squad too deep, throw hips and lean forward (too far) extend back leg as far as you can. Hold on as long as you can.

Working your way down from this exaggerated bs powerslide to some thing more managable is easier than figuering it out from scratch

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #430 on: March 21, 2019, 04:09:53 AM »
Anyone have any tips for stopping my nose mannys from swerving around? I can hold them pretty steady and straight on flat ground, but when I ollie nose manny on a pad my dumb shoulders always want to turn frontside a few seconds into the manual.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #431 on: March 21, 2019, 07:55:27 AM »
Yeah stop turning your shoulders frontside

Bagelskate

• Rep: 62
« Reply #432 on: March 21, 2019, 09:08:48 AM »
Anyone have any tips for stopping my nose mannys from swerving around? I can hold them pretty steady and straight on flat ground, but when I ollie nose manny on a pad my dumb shoulders always want to turn frontside a few seconds into the manual.

Got a fence to hold onto? Jk haha

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #433 on: March 21, 2019, 05:37:51 PM »
wow that worked I have them on lock now thanks guys

Torre

• Rep: -30
« Reply #434 on: March 23, 2019, 05:35:16 PM »
Back 50, and logically any trick that builds upon that (back 5.0, back tail, back smith)

Buttcheeks

• Rep: -7
  • Prrrrrrttttt crapping literal shit every day
« Reply #435 on: March 24, 2019, 01:07:08 AM »
Back 180's, I get mad dizzy when I do too many.

Also heelfips, I just avoid heelflips always, been skating for like 7 years and I can count how many I've ever landed on one hand.

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #436 on: March 24, 2019, 06:43:19 AM »
Back 180's, I get mad dizzy when I do too many.

Also heelfips, I just avoid heelflips always, been skating for like 7 years and I can count how many I've ever landed on one hand.

Always pop a Dramamine before skating.  Surprised I even needed to say this in 2019.

Sick avatar btw.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Beeker

• Rep: 41
« Reply #437 on: March 24, 2019, 08:29:14 AM »
Back 50, and logically any trick that builds upon that (back 5.0, back tail, back smith)

I was a pussy about back 50's when I first started, but then I spent an hour just backside ollieing over a 2x4 and up some small curbs at the least possible angles and it came real quick. It's all about that slight shifty, but's it's easier than it seems when you are first trying them. Also helps to imagine yourself up on the ledge right before you pop. Pre-pop weight distribution (basically having your weight slightly back or at least centered) is important so that you have your foot on the tail when you land on the ledge and can pop out. It also gets you used to the 5-0 which is just aiming a bit further forward on the ledge and pushing your back truck forward (leaning back).

crowned

• Rep: -1
« Reply #438 on: April 21, 2019, 06:07:48 AM »
dont wanna be that guy who tells people how to do tricks BUUUUTTTTT...

an older dude told me as a grom that if you imagine you are skating within a square you can figure out where you board is gonna land-
 front shuv/ Variel heel, fs bigspin ect - start in the bottom right corner (if your regs, left if your goofy) as you pop jump to the diaginal opposite corner youll be on the board every time.
pop shuv/ varial kickflip etc -  start at bottom left (right for goofy) and jump to the opposite corner (top right)

this totally worked for me and unlocked a bunch of tricks.

the other tip i picked up was for straight kickflip you wanna drag your flicking toe through the truck bolt on the heel side of your deck and off the nose pocket, they ping up to your back foot every time.

now if anyone wants to shed some light on nollie tres id appreciate it, those fuckers have eluded me for a good ten years

That's brilliant. I'd love to draw up a graphic for this. Is it always opposite corners... ?

adornyez

• Rep: 0
« Reply #439 on: April 22, 2019, 09:29:04 AM »
Back 5-0! My shoulders always keep rotating when I lock in so I always end up doing the ugliest back 180 out of them instead of popping out properly.

bezug

• Rep: 0
« Reply #440 on: April 22, 2019, 09:39:08 PM »
how about regular frontside heels also known as the hardest fucking trick in the world

I recently got these almost on lock. What I found helped (and for big heels on flat especially) was to just throw your front foot out as far as possible once you begin to turn after the pop. basically letting the board go all the way in front of you to let it fully flip and rotate. They just perfectly do the rotation and your body moves with it without you having to put much thought into it. The only difficulty is going fast enough/jumping high enough to catch the board clean. Kind of looks like those stupid style tre flips, but in this case it’s the only thing that worked for me. Again, helps to haul ass.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #441 on: April 23, 2019, 03:11:20 PM »
Back 5-0! My shoulders always keep rotating when I lock in so I always end up doing the ugliest back 180 out of them instead of popping out properly.

Try to keep your lead shoulder towards the ledge a bit, as you pop and through the whole grind. As in open your stance up some, but not completely square in front of you like you would a 180. Once you lock in just hold it there don't move. If that makes any sense..

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #442 on: April 24, 2019, 05:26:18 AM »
Not that basic i guess but didn’t wanna start a new thread.

Any pointers on fakie hard flips? It’s a weird one that I’ve decided I want.

Also front crooks? My back crooks and front noseslide is good enough but have yet to hold/pinch a front crook the same

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #443 on: April 26, 2019, 09:25:02 AM »
when I started I had a pretty nice pop shov, could do them with speed but I don't know what happened, now they look like the pop shuv a revive guy did that someone has as their sig. The funny thing is I can inward heelflip (or try to) pretty high but cannot really pop a shovit.
Also have a problem with front pop, I use to have them easy but now I overthink what I am doing and fuck up most of the time.
Should probably spend an entire session working on those but I'll probably hurt myself. Now these two tricks are scary to me for some reason.

edit : just saw the gif of the revive guy, I was maybe exaggerating, mine are not that bad.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 09:28:26 AM by dallou »

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #444 on: April 26, 2019, 01:26:49 PM »
Not that basic i guess but didn’t wanna start a new thread.

Any pointers on fakie hard flips? It’s a weird one that I’ve decided I want.

Also front crooks? My back crooks and front noseslide is good enough but have yet to hold/pinch a front crook the same

aim with and stand on your big toe on that front crook and it will goooo . i got no help for that fakie hard

Black Frycook

« Reply #445 on: April 27, 2019, 12:38:58 PM »
I guess it's not that basic but fucking backside airs. Maybe because I didn't really grow up skating big transition but fuck I'm having the hardest time getting those consistently

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #446 on: April 27, 2019, 12:54:12 PM »
Expand Quote

an older dude told me as a grom that if you imagine you are skating within a square you can figure out where you board is gonna land-
 front shuv/ Variel heel, fs bigspin ect - start in the bottom right corner (if your regs, left if your goofy) as you pop jump to the diaginal opposite corner youll be on the board every time.
pop shuv/ varial kickflip etc -  start at bottom left (right for goofy) and jump to the opposite corner (top right)

the other tip i picked up was for straight kickflip you wanna drag your flicking toe through the truck bolt on the heel side of your deck and off the nose pocket, they ping up to your back foot every time.

now if anyone wants to shed some light on nollie tres id appreciate it, those fuckers have eluded me for a good ten years
[close]

That's brilliant. I'd love to draw up a graphic for this. Is it always opposite corners... ?

it's funny, i used to actually do this a bunch. when i did this it wasn't always opposite corner though. i used it mostly for ledge tricks, too, as in to predict where i would land when doing somewhat blindsided stuff like bs grinds and tailslides which i have lots of trouble getting into. an ollie would be pretty much center going forward. alley ooped or overturned tricks are a obviously combination of general pop direction vs how your body turns.

i usually don't approach stuff like this but it's good for troubleshooting purposes.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

« Reply #447 on: April 27, 2019, 11:41:53 PM »
Rock and rolls on vert.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #448 on: April 28, 2019, 04:11:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

it's funny, i used to actually do this a bunch. when i did this it wasn't always opposite corner though. i used it mostly for ledge tricks, too, as in to predict where i would land when doing somewhat blindsided stuff like bs grinds and tailslides which i have lots of trouble getting into. an ollie would be pretty much center going forward. alley ooped or overturned tricks are a obviously combination of general pop direction vs how your body turns.

i usually don't approach stuff like this but it's good for troubleshooting purposes.

Honestly it always kind of baffled me how so many hyperactive skaters would get on their board on the daily yet never give one bit of thought to how said board is supposed to work. If you just look at the object for a minute and start imagining parallel and perpendicular lines on the griptape that would be drawn from the eight bolts from one end of the board to the other, you get a very accurate idea of where all the pressure points are, in the corners of the nose and tail somewhat close to the wheel; as soon as you've understood that, if you can feel where the dead center of your board is (and any skater should) then it's all about compensating said pressure on the object (during the pop) with the opposite motion and force with your gripping foot, your center being your reference. In theory skateboarding is actually very basic physics, what makes it practically super difficult is how physical it actually is, how much muscle memory one has to develop and maintain whilst learning, the randomness of the terrain and the endless mental insecurities one has to overcome to realize that they can actually do the trick they're 'thinking of trying'.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 04:14:12 AM by silhouette »

SadandLonely

• Rep: -30
« Reply #449 on: April 28, 2019, 06:54:53 PM »
Anything with a flip. I've never been good at flipping my board but I do like spin tricks. I would like to open up my trick selection and learn to nollie but it's awkward.