Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 152038 times)

anon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 53
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #450 on: April 29, 2019, 01:11:25 AM »
50-50 in transition. can't ever get the back wheel to lock in properly and have to adjust mid-grind

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #451 on: April 29, 2019, 10:09:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
dont wanna be that guy who tells people how to do tricks BUUUUTTTTT...

an older dude told me as a grom that if you imagine you are skating within a square you can figure out where you board is gonna land-
 front shuv/ Variel heel, fs bigspin ect - start in the bottom right corner (if your regs, left if your goofy) as you pop jump to the diaginal opposite corner youll be on the board every time.
pop shuv/ varial kickflip etc -  start at bottom left (right for goofy) and jump to the opposite corner (top right)

this totally worked for me and unlocked a bunch of tricks.

the other tip i picked up was for straight kickflip you wanna drag your flicking toe through the truck bolt on the heel side of your deck and off the nose pocket, they ping up to your back foot every time.

now if anyone wants to shed some light on nollie tres id appreciate it, those fuckers have eluded me for a good ten years
[close]

That's brilliant. I'd love to draw up a graphic for this. Is it always opposite corners... ?
[close]

it's funny, i used to actually do this a bunch. when i did this it wasn't always opposite corner though. i used it mostly for ledge tricks, too, as in to predict where i would land when doing somewhat blindsided stuff like bs grinds and tailslides which i have lots of trouble getting into. an ollie would be pretty much center going forward. alley ooped or overturned tricks are a obviously combination of general pop direction vs how your body turns.

i usually don't approach stuff like this but it's good for troubleshooting purposes.
[close]

Honestly it always kind of baffled me how so many hyperactive skaters would get on their board on the daily yet never give one bit of thought to how said board is supposed to work. If you just look at the object for a minute and start imagining parallel and perpendicular lines on the griptape that would be drawn from the eight bolts from one end of the board to the other, you get a very accurate idea of where all the pressure points are, in the corners of the nose and tail somewhat close to the wheel; as soon as you've understood that, if you can feel where the dead center of your board is (and any skater should) then it's all about compensating said pressure on the object (during the pop) with the opposite motion and force with your gripping foot, your center being your reference. In theory skateboarding is actually very basic physics, what makes it practically super difficult is how physical it actually is, how much muscle memory one has to develop and maintain whilst learning, the randomness of the terrain and the endless mental insecurities one has to overcome to realize that they can actually do the trick they're 'thinking of trying'.

after years of trial and error i can actually say i can 3 flip now thanks guys that corner box shit works

Decreed Bratton

• Rep: 19
  • it's possible a man slipped in there.
« Reply #452 on: April 29, 2019, 03:16:11 PM »
50-50 in transition. can't ever get the back wheel to lock in properly and have to adjust mid-grind

Do you mean for your back truck to grind more on the heel side instead of the toe side of the truck to lock in?  It's easier to go more of an angle where you are more parallel to the coping then get on instead of going straight up and turning onto the coping.  Going straight up tends for you end up more on the toe side of the truck then having to adjust.  Go at an angle and time it for you're back truck to lock on the heel side.  You kind of got to stay more in the tranny until you get up also.

adornyez

• Rep: 0
« Reply #453 on: April 30, 2019, 08:22:49 AM »
Skate more flat footed on tranny with more heel on the board. I had the same issue with axle stalls/50-50's but having more of your heel on the board helps lock in the heel-side wheel

Dustwardprez

« Reply #454 on: May 01, 2019, 08:40:43 AM »
Sw backside anything. 30 yrs of skateboarding I’ve only practiced popping my board in this direction for maybe a few months.

Even when I’m skating transition I’m way more likely to kick turn or carve switch fs than bs.

It just feels shitty

anon

« Reply #455 on: May 01, 2019, 09:58:15 AM »
It's easier to go more of an angle where you are more parallel to the coping then get on instead of going straight up and turning onto the coping.  Going straight up tends for you end up more on the toe side of the truck then having to adjust.
Skate more flat footed on tranny with more heel on the board.
i get it. it's a hit and miss for me. i've yet to find the sweet spot for the angle. another one i don't understand is pivot to fakie because with those you'd go straight up. whenever i try it, i end up carving into it instead of turning sharp. if i try 5-0 i'll end up locking in on the wrong side. and of course going back in fakie... hang up!  :o

anon

« Reply #456 on: May 01, 2019, 10:01:41 AM »
Sw backside anything. 30 yrs of skateboarding I’ve only practiced popping my board in this direction for maybe a few months.

Even when I’m skating transition I’m way more likely to kick turn or carve switch fs than bs.

It just feels shitty
it's funny because switch backside is the same rotation as regular frontside, yet so different of a feeling. i've been doing nollie front 180s to get the hang of it but it still feels alien

Dustwardprez

« Reply #457 on: May 01, 2019, 10:35:15 AM »
Expand Quote

It just feels shitty
[close]
it's funny because switch backside is the same rotation as regular frontside, yet so different of a feeling. i've been doing nollie front 180s to get the hang of it but it still feels alien

Same. I do practice fs nollies. Those two tricks are the only tricks I cannot pop 360s. It’s frustrating

bunkrider

• Rep: 0
« Reply #458 on: May 01, 2019, 12:38:10 PM »
sAMe

Halfcab180

• Rep: 8
« Reply #459 on: May 02, 2019, 11:02:41 AM »
I know it’s been mentioned a million times, but kickflips are my kryptonite. I’ve been able to kickflip maybe 10% of the time since I first landed one. That’s the only flip trick I can do where I regularly miss so badly it looks like I can’t do them at all. For some reason when I focus on keeping my shoulders straight, my ability to flip the board well evaporates.

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #460 on: May 02, 2019, 04:15:43 PM »
my kick flips get progressively worse as i age
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

SadandLonely

• Rep: -30
« Reply #461 on: May 02, 2019, 05:54:58 PM »
I know it’s been mentioned a million times, but kickflips are my kryptonite. I’ve been able to kickflip maybe 10% of the time since I first landed one. That’s the only flip trick I can do where I regularly miss so badly it looks like I can’t do them at all. For some reason when I focus on keeping my shoulders straight, my ability to flip the board well evaporates.
Its ok I can’t flip my board for shit.

SadandLonely

« Reply #462 on: May 03, 2019, 08:24:00 AM »
Any advice for a slappy nose slide on a 1ft ledge??

Halfcab180

• Rep: 8
« Reply #463 on: May 03, 2019, 08:43:34 AM »

If you’re sticking, learn them coming out regular instead of fakie. That motion will force them to slide. For higher ledges, try to get into the slide as quickly as possible while staying light on your feet.

SadandLonely

« Reply #464 on: May 03, 2019, 08:46:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

If you’re sticking, learn them coming out regular instead of fakie. That motion will force them to slide. For higher ledges, try to get into the slide as quickly as possible while staying light on your feet.
what about getting in there?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #465 on: May 03, 2019, 02:37:09 PM »

I used to be a bit like you with oddly inconsistent kickflips until I realized control on kickflips is also in the back foot before you pop. You need that foot at the right angle and then to pop off your big toe that should be in between the center of the tail and its edge. Eventually you'll start feeling that sweet spot. Before you even pop you need to set up for, and then create the right tension between both feet, reason why I insisted on the big toe thing is that I find it helps to imagine that the one on the back foot is going to counter the action of the big toe on the front foot that's going to flick. Think duck stance but a lot less exaggerated. Also it shouldn't be a dead pop and you should actually jump forward with it. If the tension is off when you pop, the concave will have less resistance to respond to and you'll be more likely to miss the flick. Same reason why 360 flips are popped using the big toe, except the pressure is applied to a different part of the tail (more onto the side) to compensate for a flick that will occur in a different direction. See Christian Maalouf for the most fucked up kickflips.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 02:39:07 PM by silhouette »

Dustwardprez

« Reply #466 on: May 03, 2019, 09:55:24 PM »

Are you stepping in the pocket toe side rail
Dead ctr or
or heel side pocket?

As I like to pop from the heel side rail. I can get a faster flatter KICKFLIP when I’m set up front foot center kick trough the bolts and into the nose with my back foot kind where a hard flip would be if my feet were closer together.

I’m high af so if this doesn’t read my bad.

Maybe try switch flips. I like switch flip because it doesn’t hurt my flicking foot so much

Dustwardprez

« Reply #467 on: May 03, 2019, 10:03:16 PM »
So rn I’m having issues with doing fakie ollie fakie nose many. I have to shifty to get on the pad. I can fakie fakie nose grind anything in the park pop out early etc.. the pad is pissin me off. And I don’t know how to fix it my shoulders are straight too

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #468 on: May 04, 2019, 05:04:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

try to approach as if wallriding nollie out, tap your front foot into the slide as soon as your nose comes above the ledge far enough to lock in, while remaining almost weightless on your back foot so your tail can snap up. you can try and keep your front foot a bit angled to prevent heeldrag that might stop your slide prematurely. it might help to have your front foot already fairly far up the nose, i like to have it almost right where i would like to stand midslide, like an inch past the bolts.

it might actually be easier to try slappy crooked grinds first if you accidentally slip up to far. they almost work the same for me, it's just different timing to lock in.

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #469 on: May 04, 2019, 08:36:48 AM »
Frontside flips.

SadandLonely

« Reply #470 on: May 04, 2019, 11:05:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

try to approach as if wallriding nollie out, tap your front foot into the slide as soon as your nose comes above the ledge far enough to lock in, while remaining almost weightless on your back foot so your tail can snap up. you can try and keep your front foot a bit angled to prevent heeldrag that might stop your slide prematurely. it might help to have your front foot already fairly far up the nose, i like to have it almost right where i would like to stand midslide, like an inch past the bolts.

it might actually be easier to try slappy crooked grinds first if you accidentally slip up to far. they almost work the same for me, it's just different timing to lock in.
I can do a nose stall on a little curb. Does it count?

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #471 on: May 04, 2019, 11:46:03 AM »
Slappy noseslide on something high is the same thing as your nosestall on the curb. The technique is similar but you approach it at an angle like you want to wallride up the ledge, then you shift your weight just the same and get up there. Jam the nose up there and don't kickturn into it.

SadandLonely

« Reply #472 on: May 04, 2019, 12:06:32 PM »
Slappy noseslide on something high is the same thing as your nosestall on the curb. The technique is similar but you approach it at an angle like you want to wallride up the ledge, then you shift your weight just the same and get up there. Jam the nose up there and don't kickturn into it.
thanks boss man

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #473 on: May 04, 2019, 12:24:12 PM »

It would be good to know what happens to the board when you miss but here is a quick tip. Pretend the nose of your board is flat and slide your foot through the nose of the board. This should speed up the flick and cut down on rocket flip. As redcurb12 says, kickflips get harder with age, so this trick helped me keep hanging on.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #474 on: May 04, 2019, 01:09:21 PM »
360 flips. Some days they work n others they don't ?
I'm too old to get pissed off ,  Well I guess I can't do them the way I want is a better way to say it.
Sometimes they feel perfect every try n the next day they feel so disgusting.
Kickflips as well, some days I think  I'm  blessed with Reynolds flick n the next day their all rocket n super ugly.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #475 on: May 04, 2019, 01:14:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
thanks boss man
Actually regular slappies , in the eighties n early nineties I could do them but I can't for the life of me now. I have to Ollie. I can't bash my trucks into the curb like the old days.

SadandLonely

« Reply #476 on: May 04, 2019, 04:16:39 PM »
I actually tried to learn kickflips today and I’m slowly working my way there. Just a matter of flick and landing. Any advice on flick?

anon

« Reply #477 on: May 04, 2019, 05:51:06 PM »
Actually regular slappies , in the eighties n early nineties I could do them but I can't for the life of me now. I have to Ollie. I can't bash my trucks into the curb like the old days.
it's more like riding up the curb. think wheels rolling rather than truck bashing

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #478 on: May 04, 2019, 05:55:46 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
it's more like riding up the curb. think wheels rolling rather than truck bashing
Thanks my friend.

ChrisLambe94

« Reply #479 on: May 04, 2019, 05:57:20 PM »
I actually tried to learn kickflips today and I’m slowly working my way there. Just a matter of flick and landing. Any advice on flick?
Lizard has one of the best flicks ever IMHO.
https://youtu.be/oH9JEl9zzJE