Author Topic: Basic ass tricks that piss you off  (Read 151951 times)

SirPizzaSlayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -69
  • Pizza Griptape
Re: Basic ass tricks that piss you off
« Reply #480 on: May 04, 2019, 06:47:37 PM »
So I’m flicking in my pocket, what about foot position. Anybody got advice?

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #481 on: May 04, 2019, 07:24:19 PM »
Ol’ boy’s got about 4 brain cells bouncing around in his head, but I’d love to kickflip like him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV1FHhJM0-8&feature=share
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #482 on: May 05, 2019, 11:25:30 PM »
Fakie shuvits are a bitch, bs and fs.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

moneen

• Rep: -41
« Reply #483 on: May 06, 2019, 12:05:10 AM »
backside noseslides and front tailslides.

back noseslides i can never lock into properly unless i slappy into it which looks awful so I just don't do them. same problem with front tails, can't get my weight shifted properly and just end up sticking and doing a tiny tail stall/slide and then popping back out straight away.

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -606
« Reply #484 on: May 06, 2019, 12:05:46 PM »
Back 180s and heelflips
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

hotstudios_on_youtube

• Rep: -65
  • ???
« Reply #485 on: May 06, 2019, 12:20:14 PM »
been skating for like 9 years since I was 18, can't kick flip

I can 180 both ways ,fake shove both ways, half cab both ways, 50-50, crooked nose, etc

no I don't go both ways

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #486 on: May 06, 2019, 12:31:22 PM »

I can 180 both ways ,fake shove both ways, half cab both ways, 50-50, crooked nose, etc

no I don't go both ways

Spend a day doing nothing but kickflips. You'll get 'em.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #487 on: May 07, 2019, 05:37:57 AM »

no I don't go both ways
I wonder if you miss a comma or a "crooked nose" is really sth for you.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

sceatmon

• Rep: 5
« Reply #488 on: May 08, 2019, 08:41:20 AM »
360 flips... Seem to have this weird mental block that always stops me from flicking with my front foot, always end up doing terrible 3shuvs when I try.

Dustwardprez

« Reply #489 on: May 08, 2019, 04:59:21 PM »
360 flips... Seem to have this weird mental block that always stops me from flicking with my front foot, always end up doing terrible 3shuvs when I try.

You don’t flick a tre flip. It’s a pressure trick. You scoop while the board has tension built up lean back and scoop. Scissor kick and it will hit your foot.

Every tre flip issue is about scoop or the building up of pressure to get it to flip.

When I 3 shuv I have my toes on the tail more and my front foot flat so it doesn’t flip. Maybe you need to hang your toes off the tail more
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 05:02:35 PM by Dustwardprez »

VHS ERA

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
« Reply #490 on: May 08, 2019, 06:31:36 PM »
I’m the opposite. My tre flips flip but rarely rotate the full 360. Halp.

sceatmon

« Reply #491 on: May 09, 2019, 01:50:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You don’t flick a tre flip. It’s a pressure trick. You scoop while the board has tension built up lean back and scoop. Scissor kick and it will hit your foot.

Every tre flip issue is about scoop or the building up of pressure to get it to flip.

When I 3 shuv I have my toes on the tail more and my front foot flat so it doesn’t flip. Maybe you need to hang your toes off the tail more

Aight, haven't bothered trying in a couple years but will give this a go and report back.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #492 on: May 09, 2019, 03:27:12 AM »

You might be instinctively opening up your shoulders as you pop, when you shouldn't. Think of it as the same problem as kids who can only land kickflips if they turn their body with it. Keep your upper body in check and make sure you don't jump out of your original stance once you've popped (because that's pretty much what the problem is).

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #493 on: May 09, 2019, 08:14:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

You might be instinctively opening up your shoulders as you pop, when you shouldn't. Think of it as the same problem as kids who can only land kickflips if they turn their body with it. Keep your upper body in check and make sure you don't jump out of your original stance once you've popped (because that's pretty much what the problem is).

Shoulders are every thing

shit_for_brains

« Reply #494 on: May 09, 2019, 08:22:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Shoulders are every thing

Also your hips. Usually people turn their hips when they turn their shoulders, then they correct their shoulders but still open up their hips. Stay put.

E

• Rep: 11
« Reply #495 on: May 09, 2019, 09:34:04 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Can you explain what you mean by building up the pressure?

Mine usually hit my feet which I thought meant I need to lift my legs up more to get them out of the way but I've seen some people do tre's where they don't even really lift their legs that much?

pdknox

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 6
« Reply #496 on: May 09, 2019, 10:22:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Can you explain what you mean by building up the pressure?

Mine usually hit my feet which I thought meant I need to lift my legs up more to get them out of the way but I've seen some people do tre's where they don't even really lift their legs that much?

I stand on the board in such a way that if I took my front foot off, the board would start a 3 flip motion.  Not enough to actually 3 flip, but enough to see it start the motion.  Big toe in the toe pocket of the tail.

SirPizzaSlayer

• Rep: -69
  • Pizza Griptape
« Reply #497 on: May 10, 2019, 05:55:51 PM »
Are axel stalls on Quater pipes easy?

Olabade

• Rep: -46
« Reply #498 on: May 12, 2019, 07:48:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This is absolutely the worst advice ever. All flip tricks should be properly flicked (out and up regardless of trick). If it’s not flicked it’s a pressure flip = shit. Look at any good tre flippers (Nate Jones, Kalis , Jason Lee...) they all flick. The flick on tre isn’t as pronounced as kickflips but you definitely should flick your tres.

Fixed typos.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #499 on: May 12, 2019, 04:47:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

This is absolutely the worst advice ever. All flip tricks should be properly flicked (out and up regardless of trick). If it’s not flicked it’s a pressure flip = shit. Look at any good tre flippers (Nate Jones, Kalis , Jason Lee...) they all flick. The flick on tre isn’t as pronounced as kickflips but you definitely should flick your tres.

Fixed typos.

I don't think he means it in a literal sense, he even says to scissor kick, you obviously have to flick it to some extent. The flick is extremely minimal, but many people that struggle with tres flick far more than they should. Or it doesn't flip all the way, but not because they're flicking too little, but because the way they pop/scoop/lean isn't correct and makes it harder for their flick to interact with the rest of the motion.

It's definitely true that the way you distribute weight over your board and the way your trucks lean affects the way you tre flip. I flick my tres very minimally, but I set up in a certain way help build the pressure that results board moving in a way that allows the minimal flick to be sufficient. There's a lot of trial and error in this, so this may or may not work for everyone, but I put my front foot in the middle of the board and hang a good amount of heel off, back foot in standard position, and for me it helps a lot to make sure the trucks are leaning a little on the heel side, and I pop/scoop not backwards, but left (I'm regular) in the direction of where my front foot is, almost like I'm trying to push the board in the direction that I'm rolling, popping/scooping this way has always made my tre flips feel much more efficient and contained. Your mileage may vary, but hope this helps someone.

edit: if anybody has tips on how to do nollie bs noseslides rolling parallel do the ledge i would greatly appreciate the intel, i can do them fine, hold the slide and pop out going at an almost 45 degree angle but it just doesn't seem like the best way.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 05:21:50 PM by tzhangdox »

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #500 on: May 13, 2019, 01:33:24 AM »
fucking rails

in my years skating i've never done a rail aside from a generic department store esque bs rail everyone gets for christmas as a kid. went to a rail spot yesterday, did the whole put the board on and push thing and had no issues balancing/keeping it locked etc but when it came to actually trying it i just couldnt manage to lock in. it'd either flip over the rail or shoot out, i did get a few where i was on it for a lil bit but nothing substantial.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #501 on: May 13, 2019, 01:57:51 AM »
fucking rails

in my years skating i've never done a rail aside from a generic department store esque bs rail everyone gets for christmas as a kid. went to a rail spot yesterday, did the whole put the board on and push thing and had no issues balancing/keeping it locked etc but when it came to actually trying it i just couldnt manage to lock in. it'd either flip over the rail or shoot out, i did get a few where i was on it for a lil bit but nothing substantial.

I assume you're talking about 5050s on round rails? Are you trying double heel or cross pinch? I find cross pinch is a lot easier and safer. I just ollie onto the rail like a normal 5050 on a ledge, and 1 millisecond before I hit the rail, or sometimes even a hair after my trucks touch the rail, I immediately put a lot of pressure on my front toe, and my back heel and it will locks me into the cross pinch quite securely.

Many people try to turn mid air a little bit to try and land in the cross pinch but overdo it and get into smith or lip, which is why I ollie straight and let the way I apply pressure on my feet adjust me into the cross pinch. It should slip right into position as long as the rail isn't too sticky. If you're flipping over then you probably need to apply more opposite pressure (front foot toe, back foot heel) or stand more straight on top of it. Definitely be somewhat ready to bail at any moment though just in case.

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #502 on: May 13, 2019, 02:38:54 AM »
nah its a square thin rail

honestly when i was standing on it and pushing i was basically just winging it and doing both types of lock ins but i feel like cross would be easier. i was treating it just like a 5050 on a ledge but one of my friends told me to try and land a bit lighter to avoid flipping which in retrospect probably didnt help. ill def try the opposite pressure thing for sure.

tzhangdox

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #503 on: May 13, 2019, 04:13:27 AM »
Ah on a square rail, make sure the sides aren't too sticky, or the opposite pressure thing is gonna stick pretty easily

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #504 on: May 13, 2019, 03:35:12 PM »

honestly when i was standing on it and pushing i was basically just winging it and doing both types of lock ins but i feel like cross would be easier. i was treating it just like a 5050 on a ledge but one of my friends told me to try and land a bit lighter to avoid flipping which in retrospect probably didnt help. ill def try the opposite pressure thing for sure.

That spot looks really fun, I’m jealous.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

curbslayer

• Rep: 9
  • How dose the board stick to their feet ?
« Reply #505 on: May 13, 2019, 04:17:54 PM »

you realize you have to grind this thing for all of us now! that shit looks to good

redcurb12

• Rep: 29
« Reply #506 on: May 14, 2019, 10:34:08 AM »
right now its backside flips.. i always get a nice flick and rotation but land with no speed and put my foot down
Let me preface this post with the fact that I am slightly inebriated, very uneducated and I havent read any papers or done any research at all, or read your post really.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #507 on: May 14, 2019, 10:55:22 AM »
right now its backside flips.. i always get a nice flick and rotation but land with no speed and put my foot down

The ones I don't land look beautiful, and the ones I do land look like varial flip body varials and make me feel shame.

sceatmon

« Reply #508 on: May 14, 2019, 11:50:25 AM »

Try following your front bolts as a rotation point with your front foot and the back foot should follow by itself. I've also always found that if you aim to flick straight off the middle of the nose/almost on the heel-side of your nose it helps to fold a lot better (only if you fold your back 180s with your front foot rather than scooping it, if you learn back 180s like that you might find backside flips easier). I find that the less effort you put into them the easier they go around. Also this is slightly irrelevant but I found that once I learned dolphin flips (as a joke I know it's a lame trick) my backside flips folded a lot better and were more consistent.

SneakySecrets

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #509 on: May 14, 2019, 06:45:01 PM »
Also this is slightly irrelevant but I found that once I learned dolphin flips (as a joke I know it's a lame trick) my backside flips folded a lot better and were more consistent.

I wish I was good enough to learn tricks as jokes.  Seems like a luxurious lifestyle.